Ares Games

Thread: They Shall Not Grow Old Showing in the US

Default They Shall Not Grow Old Showing in the US

I just got this through facebook. This website shows where and when the movie They Shall Not Grow Old is showing in the states.

https://www.fathomevents.com/events/...zu2nuBWJygaWZU

Here's to them what are like us. Damn few and they're all dead.

Thanks Jim. Looks like I'll be driving 2 hours in December to see this. Nothing close on either of the two dates it will be run up in New England.

Apparently it has been picked up by Warner Brothers but no showings announced yet in Canada.

Thanks Jim. 1900 show 3 miles from me on 17 Dec.

Local theater for me on 17 December. Thanks for the heads-up.

Even here! Surprise! Bits may be from what I saw in his NZ memorial presentation, it is one of his great passions. . .

Quote Originally Posted by LS650 View Post
    Apparently it has been picked up by Warner Brothers but no showings announced yet in Canada.
    It would be a great shame if you were denied the opportunity to watch it. The BBC broadcasted it here on t.v. last Sunday night.

matt56's Avatar May you forever fly in blue skies.
    Major

Users Country Flag

Name
    Matt
    Sorties Flown

Looks like we have several options in the area, Jim - we should mark our calendars...

Thanks for posting this - it came up on my FB page this morning when I got online.

All the best,
    Matt

Oh my -- it is showing in a really nice theater about 15 minutes from my home ! Marking down December 17 to go view it ! Thanks for this heads up otherwise I might have missed it.
    Bill

'They Shall Not Grow Old' is going to be released on dvd but no date has been given yet.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	910ICbYBdSL._SY445_.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	32.9 KB 
ID:	258179

Quote Originally Posted by Naharaht View Post
    'They Shall Not Grow Old' is going to be released on dvd but no date has been given yet.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	910ICbYBdSL._SY445_.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	32.9 KB 
ID:	258179
    That is great to hear.

Here's to them what are like us. Damn few and they're all dead.

One for my collection. thanks Dave.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Setarius's Avatar May you forever fly in blue skies
    Users Country Flag

Name
    Dale
    Sorties Flown

Showing here locally on Dec 17, 2 shows and both in 3D.
    Will have to check it out.

Missed this post while traveling. Luckily I saw a post on Facebook yesterday and got a ticket for Dec 17th

I am heading out for a 4PM screening today (after walking the dog, of course....)

I just returned from a screening of "They Shall Not Grow Old." Sobering, very sobering experience. I recommend it to all who have an interest in WW I. If you have the time, stay for the special feature after the end credits where Peter Jackson explains how he made this film (almost as fascinating as the film itself).

In thinking about this film, which was based on 100 hours of contemporary film and 600 hours of recordings of veterans describing their experiences from the collections of the Imperial War Museum. The film was structured around the veterans recollections of their time in the War. It was riveting to hear the vets talk of their experiences in combat. The film focused on infantry, artillery, and tank service.

Just got home from the 7:00 showing.
    It was in a living room style theatre withe recliner seats and in 3D.

One word: Amazing.

Definitely stay for the piece after the credits.

The film maker's (Peter Jackson) grandfather was badly wounded in WW I serving in the South Wales Borderers (he died prematurely at age 50 from residual effects of the wounds). When I visited the South Wales Borderers regimental museum in Brecon many years ago I was so fixated on their Zulu War service I didn't give much time to WW I -- I now regret that. In the special feature Jackson talks about how most families have stories of service in WW I no matter what country you come from and that you should pass these stories on. After the film I told my youngest adult daughter (who went with me to see the film) about my two great uncles who served in WW I -- my maternal great uncle was in the US Marines and a paternal great uncle the Army. My paternal great uncle was "shell shocked" in the trenches and I am told never was the same again. I never knew him as he too died at an early age from the residual effects of his service.

Wow, I actually have a couple showings fairly close on the 27th. So, can anyone give a review and critique? It is a documentary made of restored footage correct?

Quote Originally Posted by BwanaJoe View Post
    Wow, I actually have a couple showings fairly close on the 27th. So, can anyone give a review and critique? It is a documentary made of restored footage correct?
    Joe, if you can go see it, I really recommend it. Jackson tells a story by using actual recordings of WW I combat vets talking about their combat experience and overlaying it with actual old B&W footage restored and colorized to bring it a feeling of really being there. Jackson focused on foot soldiers so there is no coverage of pilots or air war aspects. It is moving and at times very graphic. After the end credits Jackson explains how and why he made the film -- that is worth staying to see as well.
    If you do go, I'd love to hear your reactions to it.
    Bill

Similar Missions

1. How quickly they grow up...
    By Zoe Brain in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 08-22-2016, 15:07
  2. Showing the Moves !
    By flash in forum WGF: After Action Reports
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 07-01-2013, 15:02
  3. Ohio: Showing up here, finally
    By Putraack in forum US Wing
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 03-31-2013, 08:57
  4. Replies: 5
    Last Post: 01-01-2011, 13:20
  5. Big Online Stores Showing WWI DRS Releasing in Feb '11?
    By Super Handley in forum WGF: General Discussions
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-22-2010, 22:40