Ares Games

Thread: Altitude pegs question

Default Altitude pegs question

Apologies if this has been asked and answered, but how do folks treat altitude when the pegs of different aircraft (such as the zeppelin straaken versus a snopwith snipe) are very different in height?

In other words, the zeppelin with three pegs is physically much higher than the snipe with three pegs. But are they considered to be at the same altitude because they each have three pegs?

Thank you!

The Staaken should have a mixture of the long pegs and singles so that in combination the same altitude should be capable of being achieved.

Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Since the first peg for a given aircraft (by standard rules) doesn't count for altitude, what Rob said applies-simply count the short pegs when you have mixed sizes.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Troy
    Sorties Flown

I encountered the same problem when it comes to balloon altitude pegs. The longer peg is equal (roughly) to four standard short pegs in length. So I simply glued all my short pegs into four peg units as a single altitude level. However this can make for unstable situations when over five altitude levels so I am working on replacing all my 'fighter' pegs with 3/8" doweling (same dimensions as the bomber pegs) sections with 3/19" connector pins for all my aircraft. Since I paint my altitude pegs a Sky Blue the wooden doweling isn't a real issue.

Troy, what do you do when your balloon starts to be wound down to the ground if all your pegs are glued together.
    For unstable pegs it is better to smear a very thin layer of superglue on the male part of the peg. do not insert it until totally dry. You will then get a tight fit which can be adjusted with a manicure file until you get the right degree of stiffness in the joint.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Users Country Flag

Name
    Troy
    Sorties Flown

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte View Post
    Troy, what do you do when your balloon starts to be wound down to the ground if all your pegs are glued together...
    I use the single long balloon/Bomber peg to register Altitude 1, additional altitudes are measured in 4-peg units to a single altitude level. For this I have permanently glued all my single pegs into those 4-peg units and use these in place of the original single pegs. The instability issues derive from the thinner original 'scout' pegs when used above altitude 5 in the 4-peg unit arrangement. Thus I am in the process of making new altitude pegs from wooden doweling in 3/8" diameter in the 4-peg lengths with 3/16" connector pins. This just works out cheaper for me that tracking down multiple packs of 'bomber' pegs.

Similar Missions

1. Altitude Pegs / Flight Pegs ?
    By Maverick in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 04-17-2015, 15:34
  2. Quick Question - Balloon Altitude Pegs
    By David Manley in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-01-2012, 13:46
  3. Altitude Pegs
    By Doug in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 5