Ares Games

Thread: Hunter climbs home . . .

Default Hunter climbs home . . .

Indeed its true. November 14 at 1130 hours my long time wingman "Hunter" (Terry Veasey) climbed out of formation. Last of his clan, he leaves behind only friends and memories.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2011-02-28_17-32-57_305.jpg 
Views:	154 
Size:	90.0 KB 
ID:	258147

It was Terry and my son Andrew (time_lapse) that drew me to this site and into this great fellowship of the wings. A hopeless collector of model airplanes and guns with an equal addiction to military history, Terry had nearly overcome his childhood bout with polio with his sheer will and happy heart, those who knew him knew him as a kid who just found a great treasure. Here he has the audacity of grilling our hero snoopy in an intense game at his house in 2013. Hunter's signiture all white Fokker DVII takes a swipe at Snoopy!

Name:	2012-07-13_19-04-56_948.jpg 
Size:	162.1 KB 
ID:	258148

With his one good arm he twisted mine on several occasions to do his bidding, ordering 50 Shapeways minis - the first time I had ever heard of such a source of treasure - if I painted his I could have the rest . . . so it began with me and the elves. He lit the Zeppelin fires after visiting my workshop and seeing my first efforts . . . more history . . .

Name:	2012-08-03_18-22-03_13.jpg 
Size:	133.9 KB 
ID:	258149

He seized one of each of my builds, here taking control and possession of the L42 . . .

Name:	2012-08-03_20-05-09_752.jpg 
Views:	157 
Size:	131.5 KB 
ID:	258150

A true friend, horrible driver, and fierce opponent, and my last local Wings player, he will be missed. Over Christmas Andrew and I will break out Snoopy, Woodstock and the White Fokker and replay some great times, climb high Terry! Cheers my comrade in arms and fellow addict, long may you climb!

Extrenely sorry to hear this news Dave, I had the pleasure of a few conversations with Hunter when I first found this site, very sad news indeed

Tough to lose a comrade in arms.
    Remember those good times, David.
    They will help you through the tougher ones.

While I did not know Hunter, I am very sorry for the loss of your friend. Please accept my condolences.
    Bill

Sorry to hear the sad news. Sounds like you have a book of good memories with him.

matt56's Avatar May you forever fly in blue skies.
    Major

Users Country Flag

Name
    Matt
    Sorties Flown

I am saddened by your loss, David - please accept my deepest condolences. Coming so close on the heels of Armistice/Veterans Day, I am reminded of my favorite of John Donne's Holy Sonnets: it always brings me solace - I hope it might for you, too.

Death, be not proud, though some have called thee
    Mighty and dreadful, for thou art not so;
    For those whom thou think'st thou dost overthrow
    Die not, poor Death, nor yet canst thou kill me.
    From rest and sleep, which but thy pictures be,
    Much pleasure; then from thee much more must flow,
    And soonest our best men with thee do go,
    Rest of their bones, and soul's delivery.
    Thou art slave to fate, chance, kings, and desperate men,
    And dost with poison, war, and sickness dwell,
    And poppy or charms can make us sleep as well
    And better than thy stroke; why swell'st thou then?
    One short sleep past, we wake eternally
    And death shall be no more; Death, thou shalt die.

If you remember, take some pictures and share them when you and Andrew replay some of Terry's favorite scenarios.

Always the best,
    Matt

Dave, so sorry to hear of the passing of your friend Hunter.
    He must have been a brave man to overcome the health problems from his childhood.
    I know you will always treasure his memory. R.I.P. Hunter

Sad news.

Terry is still on my wingman list and we had some good conversations in the past in some threads.

Unfortunately he retreated from activity here for the last years, but I know that we lost one of our famous pilots.
    Voilŕ le soleil d'Austerlitz!

Setarius's Avatar May you forever fly in blue skies
    Users Country Flag

Name
    Dale
    Sorties Flown

David,
    My condolences on the loss of a friend and comrade in arms.

That's sad news to bring David but joyous memories to treasure for you and Andrew both. RIP Terry.

"He is wise who watches"

May his memory live on long in your heart.

Just fly, Hunter, on the endless sky with unlimited petrol and unbreakable wings to the most beautiful airfields of the world on the other side. Do not worry, there are no crashes possible, grass air strips are just soft and safe.

Condolences to you. Always tough to lose a pal. He will fly on in your heart.

Sounds like we all owe him a debt of gratitude for 'enabling' Clipper and the Elves.

Sincere condolences on your loss, Dave.

Blue Skies forever, Hunter.
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

Very sad to hear of the loss of your friend Dave.
    I will add Terry to the prayers I will be saying for my cousin who we bury on Monday.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Thanks all, with over 30 wingman out there, he is truly "our" loss. I will be meeting with the executor of his estate concerning his final wishes this next week. Service details to follow . . .

Very sad news Dave. May Hunter continue to fly high in your memory.

Please accept my condolences on the loss of your friend, David. Rest In Peace, Hunter.

My heart and best wishes to you, Dave.

Keeping the positive memories in your mind is the best way to honour a personal hero.
    Mike
    "Flying is learning to throw yourself at the ground and miss" Douglas Adams
    "Wings of Glory won't skin your elbows and knees while practicing." OldGuy59

Sorry to hear of the loss of your friend. The memories will keep him in your thoughts and hearts.

You have our deepest condolences. It sounds like he was a bright light in your life and you were lucky to have cross paths in life.

Here's to them what are like us. Damn few and they're all dead.

Sad to lose a good friend and wingman. Joy lies in the memories he leaves behind.
    Clear skies and a soft landing Hunter.

Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

my sincerest condolences for the loss of your treasured wingman.

He will fly forever in your heart and memory's. Sad thing to lose a friend

Ah Spit. My condolences.

I lost a friend too last week. We'd played air wargames together since we were 14, a homebrew version of Paragon's WWI dogfight rules first edition. When the second edition came out, it drew heavily on our version.

He also made a number of Martian Tripods which were used with WRG WWII and later 1950-1980 rules to give demonstration games at SF conventions. The last one in 1979, when Gordon R D1ckson was GOH.

A wicked sense of humour, his Tang Meatloaf Surprise is the stuff of legend.

His death hit me like the proverbial ton of bricks. I hope your friend is as fondly remembered, and even honoured, by those fortunate enough to have known him.

Ah Zoe, please accept my condolences.

Sorry to hear that, Zoe.
    Condolences inbound,

"Life's a long song" we are blessed with many companions on the journey, many treasures. It is good to have had them, our lives are indeed richer. Cherish each one. Blessings of comfort Zoe.

Sorry to hear of your loss too Zoe. Condolences from the Sapphire Coast Mob.

Sorry to hear of your loss. We lose a little more each time a pilot falls to the earth. As long as he is remembered he is never truly gone.

Very Sorry for your loss David. :-(

Quote Originally Posted by Zoe Brain View Post
    Ah Spit. My condolences.

I lost a friend too last week. We'd played air wargames together since we were 14, a homebrew version of Paragon's WWI dogfight rules first edition. When the second edition came out, it drew heavily on our version.

He also made a number of Martian Tripods which were used with WRG WWII and later 1950-1980 rules to give demonstration games at SF conventions. The last one in 1979, when Gordon R D1ckson was GOH.

A wicked sense of humour, his Tang Meatloaf Surprise is the stuff of legend.

His death hit me like the proverbial ton of bricks. I hope your friend is as fondly remembered, and even honoured, by those fortunate enough to have known him.

i also offer my deepest condolences for the loss of your lifelong friend.

So, Hunter's estate has been finalized, his memorial service is set for Saturday March 23 at 1:00 pm. I will be officiating and we will have a reception with a display of his many hobbies. I will be putting together a display of his Wings collection and I am looking for anyone who would like to send a note of remembrance to add it the presentation. You can PM me or post it here and I will add it. Thanks! Dave

sad to lose a colleague and friend - my deepest condolences David.

"He left the world a better place for him having been in it. Even a place as far away as Australia. While we miss him, we're just lucky we had him at all."

I echo Zoe's sentiment entirely. Could not have put it better myself.
    What better epitaph could anyone wish for than this.
    God rest his soul.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Although I never got chance to meet Terry, we did have a couple of interactions on the forum. It was always a pleasure to talk and listen to him. So sad to say farewell.

Thumbs up

May you fly forever in safe & blue Skies Hunter & remember you were cherished by you friends left earthbound!

This is very sad news, and I am sorry I missed it when it was originally posted.

After talking to him, I found out that he and his family were close friends with my family back in the day, so you could say that a window to my past has been closed.

Fair skies and following winds, my friend.
    *hand salute*

Similar Missions

1. AAR The Hunter in the skies.
    By Flying Officer Kyte in forum Over the Trenches
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 12-10-2013, 09:03
  2. AAR: OTT TG The Hunter in the Skies!
    By Brambo in forum WGF: After Action Reports
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 09-17-2013, 09:51
  3. Hunter's New Kit!
    By clipper1801 in forum WGF: General Discussions