Ares Games
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: OTT Daring Young Men Campaign 1916

It looks like there are lots of games about to be posted, woopee

Quote Originally Posted by Vagabond View Post
    It looks like there are lots of games about to be posted, woopee
    Looks like Friday for me to play (or at least start) and the following week to post.

Quote Originally Posted by Stumptonian View Post
    Looks like Friday for me to play (or at least start) and the following week to post.
    Oh no, what's happened to your beautiful DVII

Oh no, what's happened to your beautiful DVII
    Since we are back to basics for the Daring Young Men campaign, I took a page from your own avatar choice and put up the E.III
    which Leutnant Karsten Rüdiger ® will be flying, albeit of a different colour.

Smile

Since we are back to basics for the Daring Young Men campaign, I took a page from your own avatar choice and put up the E.III
    which Leutnant Karsten Rüdiger ® will be flying, albeit of a different colour.
    Seeing you & Vagabond have selected new Avatars to honor this new campaign I thought I would join you & put up a Vickers Gunbus which my named Pilot flew in the first mission.

Quote Originally Posted by gully_raker View Post
    Seeing you & Vagabond have selected new Avatars to honor this new campaign I thought I would join you & put up a Vickers Gunbus which my named Pilot flew in the first mission.
    Excellent, Baz.

I notice that in two of the AAR's the Entente planes have taken off from Bertangles, is this where we're stationed? Strangely I stayed on the campsite there a few years ago just by the Chateau and now I've been looking at maps of the area to locate the airfield. Looks like 48 squadron were bombed there but I didn't find 52 Squadron but I'll keep looking.

It's amazing how one can waste an afternoon, at least that's what Mrs Vagabond tells me, and now for wine and nibbles.

Fraid you noticed wrongly John.
    Our home Drome is Bentangles.

A lot of pilots have landed in the wrong field because of this error.

Kyte.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte View Post
    Fraid you noticed wrongly John.
    Our home Drome is Bentangles.

A lot of pilots have landed in the wrong field because of this error.

Kyte.
    I can't find Bentangles anywhere, so I can see why they might land elsewhere.

Smile

I can't find Bentangles anywhere, so I can see why they might land elsewhere.
    Its the "Bent" Angle that confuses them John. Plays havoc with their navigation gear.

As you say Colonel as you say.
    Kyte.

I've just sent in a set of DYM Ace Skill counters into the files in the campaigns section. These are like the ones I did for Bitter End.

Here is a jpeg version.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DYM Ace Skills.jpg 
Views:	98 
Size:	293.6 KB 
ID:	261545
    Last edited by Teaticket; 01-23-2019 at 09:39.

Thanks Peter great job!

REP gun had a stoppage unfortunately

Thanks Peter! REP will have to wait a bit.

Thumbs up

Great Work Peter!
    I will have to print that off on card.

Thanks, Peter. These will be much more useful than the Ares counters.

My Bullet Checker didn't work - must have drawn a 0 so I am also unable to give you rep.

Mine works fine but may set you on fire Pete.
    It is a rePeter.
    Rob.

A note on the skill counters, one time use skills have a '1' in the top right corner, (lucky pilot, strong constitution, expert trainer) sharp Eye has 2 counters as it can be used twice, 1/2 and 2/2.

Skills that have recovery between use have the number of recovery turns on the bottom of the counter,

Acrobatic Pilot has 5 counters with 1 of 5 through 5 of 5,
    Double Ace has 1 of 7 through 7 of 7 ( I need to put a '1' in it's top right corner as it is a 1 timer)
    Sniper, Balloon Buster and Daredevil have 1 of 4 through 4 of 4
    Perfect Aim has 1 of 3 through 3 of 3

The rest you have unlimited use throughout the battle.

Ok, fixed the Double Ace Skill to have the one time use reminder in the top right corner.

Thanks Peter that should be very useful. Well done

Likewise, thanks Peter - shall print that one off for sure REP gun also jammed for now

No sign of the files yet. must be busy. Which section did you uploasd them to Pete?

I'm learning to fly, but I ain't got wings
    Coming down is the hardest thing

Quote Originally Posted by tikkifriend View Post
    No sign of the files yet. must be busy. Which section did you uploasd them to Pete?
    If you right click on the image above, click on 'Save image as...' you can save it straight to your computer Paul.

"He is wise who watches"

Quote Originally Posted by tikkifriend View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post
    If you right click on the image above, click on 'Save image as...' you can save it straight to your computer Paul.
    I put them in the WWI Campaign section. I don't see them there yet either.

As Flash said, you can get them off of the post above. Thats why I put them there.

Quote Originally Posted by Teaticket View Post
    I put them in the WWI Campaign section. I don't see them there yet either.

As Flash said, you can get them off of the post above. Thats why I put them there.
    Will the upload be PDF or JPG?

If PDF I will wait ...

I think I went with jpeg for the files.

Here's a pdf for you.

jpg2pdf.pdf

Hmmm, this does not show up. Can you download it?

Question for you custom chit makers:

Has anyone made anything for tracking the reloading of a Lewis for three phases and tracking the firing thereof?
    I remember someone posted bullets a while back - I was hoping for something with the drum.
    Might have to make my own. ...

It was hard not to get confused when I had one of my FE.2b firing from separate mounts and getting jams at the same time.
    I expect something similar when I put my BE.2c in the air.

I also need to rethink the quick Excel sheet I made for tracking balloon damage.
    I know there is a sheet in the files but it is geared to being laminated.
    I also decided to use two separate Nexus B decks just for the balloons when I saw Engine Damage and Pilot Wounds going to 'waste' from the communal decks.
    I swapped out what had already been drawn and then reshuffled the communal decks.

How 'bout these?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Pyrkol-Ja...YAAMXQDnpTY5qk

Use for ammo remaining, instead of jams to be cleared.
    Last edited by Flying Helmut; 01-26-2019 at 14:49.
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

Question for you custom chit makers:

Has anyone made anything for tracking the reloading of a Lewis for three phases and tracking the firing thereof?
    I remember someone posted bullets a while back - I was hoping for something with the drum.
    Might have to make my own. ...

It was hard not to get confused when I had one of my FE.2b firing from separate mounts and getting jams at the same time.
    I expect something similar when I put my BE.2c in the air.

I also need to rethink the quick Excel sheet I made for tracking balloon damage.
    I know there is a sheet in the files but it is geared to being laminated.
    I also decided to use two separate Nexus B decks just for the balloons when I saw Engine Damage and Pilot Wounds going to 'waste' from the communal decks.
    I swapped out what had already been drawn and then reshuffled the communal decks.
    When I do ammo reloads I just use jam markers. I thought about making special markers but the effect is the same.

For multiple gun mounted planes I put jam markers above the plotted movement cards (one over each) for a front gun, to the bottom of the cards for a rear firing gun. Guns beyond 2 I put the jam markers to the side or use the management card if one it available.

Quote Originally Posted by Teaticket View Post
    When I do ammo reloads I just use jam markers. I thought about making special markers but the effect is the same.

For multiple gun mounted planes I put jam markers above the plotted movement cards (one over each) for a front gun, to the bottom of the cards for a rear firing gun. Guns beyond 2 I put the jam markers to the side or use the management card if one it available.
    That's pretty much what I was doing, but it got tricky when a drum had a jam.
    I was thinking maybe I should "pre-draw" 3 cards for each drum and place them on the management card. For close range draw an additional card from the communal deck.

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Helmut View Post
    Thanks for the suggestion, Tim. Those are nice, but a bit spendy - the postage costs nearly as much as the pieces.
    $13.00 US for 2 counters

Maybe I'll take a 'snip' of the drum and make a chit from that.

P.S. I did take a snip - but then I have found a bunch of actual photos that I can use instead.
    Last edited by Stumptonian; 01-26-2019 at 16:18.

That's pretty much what I was doing, but it got tricky when a drum had a jam.
    I was thinking maybe I should "pre-draw" 3 cards for each drum and place them on the management card. For close range draw an additional card from the communal deck.
    Pre-drawing cards is an easy solution as you don't have to remember using bullet/drum markers every shot.

I use jam tokens most of the time too - I have the bullet markers for ammo - and I have a empty cases I can use too. Biggest problem is remembering to take the dang things off as I don't always use cockpits due to available space.

"He is wise who watches"

Lightbulb

For my Lewis Guns I just use a very small D6 with 3 commencing & reduce with each shot.
    I have been using this method for so long it works easily for me.

I can't believe it is the end of January already, but the positive is we get Peter's OTT DYM mission in the next few days

I am currently reviewing the rules and threads in preparation for my game tomorrow. I have forgotten so much.
    “You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation.” ― Plato

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by 7eat51 View Post
    I am currently reviewing the rules and threads in preparation for my game tomorrow. I have forgotten so much.
    A few hours flying over the front lines Eric & it will all come back.
    Just take your time mate & do not rush.

Quote Originally Posted by 7eat51 View Post
    Bit like riding a bike Eric, maybe a couple of wobbles to start with but once you get moving it'll come right back to you. Look forward to seeing you back in the air old friend.

"He is wise who watches"

I also am glad to have you back as a fellow pilot Eric.
    Hardly ask you what the weather is like where you are at the moment. From the news we are getting it sounds appalling. Do take care.
    Rob.

Maybe I'll take a 'snip' of the drum and make a chit from that.

P.S. I did take a snip - but then I have found a bunch of actual photos that I can use instead.
    Here's the result of my efforts.

Name:	Lewis Drum Counters.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	150.7 KB 
ID:	262178

The Ares jams are for comparison.

I will use them in a similar way as the jams - place one counter on each turn phase to indicate replacement of ammunition drum taking place.

Thumbs up

Here's the result of my efforts.

Name:	Lewis Drum Counters.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	150.7 KB 
ID:	262178

The Ares jams are for comparison.

I will use them in a similar way as the jams - place one counter on each turn phase to indicate replacement of ammunition drum taking place.
    That's fantastic! Well done.

From Mission 5 of DYM Pete came up with an idea

From the Optional Rules:
    Wounded Pilot: In addition to the usual rules a pilot taking a wound will, in his whole next turn, fly the same manoeuvre that he was flying when he took the hit (eg if he was turning left he will play 3 left turns) and will be unable to shoot. He will begin the next turn with a straight and again will not be able to shoot
    I do think the rules should be changed to say the next three phases (replacing the planned cards) instead of the next whole turn.
    That would have saved him, I think.
    My thoughts in reply:
    That would work & would tie in with the rules as written in that the effect is immediate (re:jams/shooting).
    When written it was following the mode of other special damage that comes into effect in the next turn (rudder/engine damage) but could fit either model.
    As it suggests, the idea behind this house rule was that the pilot, amped up with combat, could take a hit but continue for a few seconds (if hit early in a turn) before he felt the full effect of the wound, then be out of it in the next turn before coming back to his senses the turn after... Unlike the actual rules where he essentially just carries on !
    Making the effect immediate wouldn't change the time out of combat but if a RTB wound it could prevent a final hurrah !

A change I was thinking of was to have the pilot fly three of the last move of the turn he was hit in as it's maybe more logical.
    Does anyone who uses that OTT optional rule or is contemplating that rule have any thoughts about it.?

"He is wise who watches"

I would substitute, for a minor wound the following two cards. I am a big softee at heart.
    Rob.

I tried using it once but in that game had many wounds. I had too many pilots flying our of the battle. With the RTB level wound thats reasonable but I thought it too hard on the minor wound. I like the new idea of 3 and 2 cards. It will be used in my next game, mission 4. (played mission 3 but have not had the time to finish it up)

A change I was thinking of was to have the pilot fly three of the last move of the turn he was hit in as it's maybe more logical.
    I think your suggestion of making it the last move of the turn would work, so that, as you said, the effect is not instant, but makes more sense than back-tracking to the card in which the pilot was hit.

Always played it like that.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Similar Missions

1. Sticky: OTT Daring Young Men (DYM) Campaign Rules
    By flash in forum Over the Trenches
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 11-16-2018, 03:06
  2. Campaign ideas for Young Players
    By PaulW in forum WGF: Campaign Discussions
    Replies: 10