Ares Games

Thread: Veterans' Day

Default Veterans' Day

I though a lot today about several family members who are no longer with me. I had two Great Uncles that served in World War I -- one a career U.S. Marine sergeant who several years after retiring from 20 years with the Marines including WW I, enlisted into the U.S. Navy for World War II -- I remember him well -- he was a tough old bird who was covered with tattoos. My other Great Uncle I did not know -- he passed away before I was born. He served in the U.S. Army and was "shell shocked" in the trenches -- it deeply impacted the rest of his relatively short life. I always think of my Dad today as well who enlisted in the Navy right after Pearl Harbor and served three and a half years of combat sea duty in three theaters of operations in WW II.
    I quietly thank them and all who served to help us remain free.

Bill I just got a call form a friend I was in nam with. He hooked me up with the numbers of 3 other guys I haven't seen in years. Just got off the phone with one of them--2 hour call. Good to hear from them.

Quote Originally Posted by BobP View Post
    Bill I just got a call form a friend I was in nam with. He hooked me up with the numbers of 3 other guys I haven't seen in years. Just got off the phone with one of them--2 hour call. Good to hear from them.
    Bob -- thank you for your Nam service. A young man I grew up with and played football with died in Nam --he never got to be 19 years old (we graduated high school in June he was dead in the Tet offensive in March) --another young man on the football team lost his arm in Tet as well. What a difficult time that was.
    Bill

Similar Missions

1. Veterans Day...
    By BwanaJoe in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-11-2018, 04:35
  2. Veterans day
    By BobP in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 11-12-2016, 02:42
  3. THANK YOU VETERANS!!!!
    By DailyTraffic in forum WGS: General Discussions