Ares Games
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Now who's got the Aspidistra?

I spent over three hours one night in a pub in Wales with people trying to explain cricket...and they failed miserably.....American baseball so much easier to understand from a "colonial" perspective...

...and as to who has the Aspidistra I would offer George Orwell -- because didn't he "Keep the Aspidistra Flying" ?

Bill takes the prize for being the first to mention the link giving reason for why the CO. has an Aspidistra in the Mess and not some other plant.

Yes I know that it is an anachronism as the book was not written until 1936, but as the Mess is an anachronism in itself, being populated by the ghosts of pilots from 1919 to 1945 i thought it was amusing at the time I introduced it. However, after all these years it now gives off an all pervading strange aroma, best described as a sort of stale beer and tobacco mixed with an Ammonia scent and vomit.
    Maybe it is time that it was re-potted.
    Kyte.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Quote Originally Posted by NewFlyBoy View Post
    I spent over three hours one night in a pub in Wales with people trying to explain cricket...and they failed miserably.....American baseball so much easier to understand from a "colonial" perspective...
    Of course it is, after all its called rounders here and is mostly played by schoolgirls..

Never Knowingly Undergunned !!

Quote Originally Posted by gully_raker View Post
    You & I picked a team with names & abilities & you actually worked out the result.
    Must be 3 or more years ago.
    I probably remember it so well as you said the Colonials WON!
    Sorry Baz, I thought you were appertaining to this:-

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Austra...ngland_in_1868

I was much too young to remember it. Remember that I was not born until 1894.
    Kyte.
    Last edited by Flying Officer Kyte; 11-11-2018 at 12:18.

Quote Originally Posted by Hedeby View Post
    Of course it is, after all its called rounders here and is mostly played by schoolgirls..
    You must have some really tough schoolgirls if they are able to take a 100 MPH fastball to the ribs for crowding home plate too much !! ... Or is the concept of "chin music" not in rounders ??

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte View Post
    Sorry Baz, I thought you were appertaining to this:-

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Austra...ngland_in_1868

I was much too young to remember it. Remember that I was not born until 1894.
    Kyte.
    Ah well that explains it Rob.

Quote Originally Posted by NewFlyBoy View Post
    Try Aussie no rules! Cousin tried to explain it....still can't fathom it.
    See you on the Dark Side......

Cricket : As explained to a foreigner..…

You have two sides, one out in the field and one in.

Each man that’s in the side that’s in goes out, and when he’s out he comes in and the next man goes in until he’s out.

When a man goes out to go in, the men who are out try to get him out, and when he is out he goes in and the next man in goes out and goes in.

When they are all out, the side that’s out comes in and the side that’s been in goes out and tries to get those coming in, out.

Sometimes you get men still in and not-out.

There are two men called umpires who stay out all the time and they decide when the men who are in are out.

When both sides have been in and all the men have been out, except for those left not-out, they swap and the side that was out goes in and the side that was in goes out.

When both sides have been out twice after all the men have been in, including those who are not-out, that is the end of the game.

simples
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

Baseball : As explained to a foreigner…

This is a game played by two teams, one out, the other in.

The one that’s in sends players out one at a time to see if they can get in before they get out.

If they get out before they get in, they come in, but it doesn’t count.

If they get in before they get out, it does count.

When the ones out get three outs from the ones in before they get in without being out, the team that’s out comes in and the team in goes out to get those going in out before they get in without being out.

When both teams have been in and out nine times, the game is over.

The team with the most men in without being out before coming in wins, unless the ones in are equal. In which case, the last ones in go out to get the ones in out before they get in without being out.

The game will end when each team has the same number of ins out but one team has more in without being out before coming in.

Also simples
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

Wow, Tim....its sooo much clearer now....

Mud: I see an acre of mud!
    Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

Yes Karl, clear as the mud on the Somme, and I thought I understood cricket from my youth. I even used to play it for my works team.
    Rob.

Mind you, I've not gotten all the details for baseball, either.
    Of course, I'm rather glad for my ignorance
    Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

matt56's Avatar May you forever fly in blue skies.
    Major

Users Country Flag

Name
    Matt
    Sorties Flown

Did we find out yesterday at 11 AM what the "F O" in F O Kyte stood for? Did I miss the reveal?Formal Obfuscator, perhaps?

All the best,
    Matt

Cricket: As explained to a foreigner...

You have two sides, one, consisting of 11 men, out in the field and one in, consisting of 11 men but only 2 out at a time.

Each man that's in the side that's in goes out, and when he's out he comes in and the next man goes in until he's out.

You score by hitting runs, singles and multiples of singles; however a ball that crosses the boundary without bouncing is a 6 those that do are 4's. Wides, and leg byes also score and these may be 4's too but only if they cross the boundary.

A no ball is what it is, a no-ball. You can't be out with a no-ball and so stay in. The bowler bowls an additional ball for every no-ball bowled.

When the 10th man in is out they are all out, the side that's out comes in and the side that's been in goes out and tries to get those coming in, out.

Sometimes you get men still in and not out.

When a man goes out to go in, the men who are out try to get him out, and when he is out he goes in and the next man in goes out and goes in.

There are two men called umpires who stay all out all the time and they decide when the men who are in are out.

When both sides have been in and all the men have been out, and both sides have been out twice after all the men have been in, including those who are not out, that is the end of the game!

Note: The team that is in may have a 12th man who plays but only as a runner, he doesn't actually bat or field so is neither in nor out but can be out if the other team run him out so he and his companion both leave the field, if his companion is bowled, caught, stumped or LBW then they are both out and the next one in goes in, unless the last one in but out was the 10th man out.

There was no winner because nobody guessed correctly.
    However, if you read other threads of the last couple of days assiduously, you will find out what the F stands for.
    The closest guess was funnily enough yourself Matt.
    Rob.

matt56's Avatar May you forever fly in blue skies.
    Major

Users Country Flag

Name
    Matt
    Sorties Flown

No worries, Rob! I just wanted to make sure I hadn't missed it...

I will go back through things and see if I can divine the truth, but barring that, I'm happy to have 'been in the ballpark', you Friendliest Observer of all things Wings and Sails

All the best,
    Matt

Quote Originally Posted by Hedeby View Post

all the more reason to prefer it as a spectator sport i should think.

cricket as explained by an american;
    genus Gryllus small black insect fond of making noise with its legs (not to be confused with cabaret dancers whom are fond of making us make noise with their legs )

Quote Originally Posted by milcoll73 View Post
    all the more reason to prefer it as a spectator sport i should think.
    Frankly Phil, after teaching adolescent schoolboys and schoolgirls for 40 years, there is no bigger turn off than that.

I will stick with Cricket thanks. You cant beat watching a couple of Australian all rounders.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	29lanningperry1.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	145.0 KB 
ID:	257983

Rob.

Ooohh Sheila!

SWMBO is not amused....cheers Rob.

OK....very funny......who put the Aspidistra in the chamber pot after the indoor croquet match? Come on own up!

Name:	aspidistra chamber pot.jpg 
Size:	10.3 KB 
ID:	258013

Smile

Well we now know from one of Rob's posts the F is for Frederick but we still wonder about the "O"
    Could it be Oswald?

Come on Rob, Fess Up!

and one for the oldies......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6XROMw3Z4e0

just to prove you do clean your aspidistra:

Name:	aspidistra 2.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	9.5 KB 
ID:	258019

Name:	george orwell k t a flying.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	5.7 KB 
ID:	258020

Written by George, printed by Penguins!

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte View Post
    Frankly Phil, after teaching adolescent schoolboys and schoolgirls for 40 years, there is no bigger turn off than that.

I will stick with Cricket thanks. You cant beat watching a couple of Australian all rounders.

Name:	29lanningperry1.jpg 
Size:	145.0 KB 
ID:	257983

Rob.

watching them for entertainment value is one thing, interacting with them is another thing entirely lol.
    intriguing, but ill stick to olympic womens vollyball!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by milcoll73 View Post
    watching them for entertainment value is one thing, interacting with them is another thing entirely lol.
    intriguing, but ill stick to olympic womens vollyball!!!!
    Some people just have no class Phil!
    Rob.

Beach volleyball yeah.

Oh. Oh. Incoming....again.

Quote Originally Posted by Skafloc View Post

Name:	george orwell k t a flying.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	5.7 KB 
ID:	258020

Written by George, printed by Penguins!
    I read the novel for the first time about 45 years ago in grad school and really liked it -- BTW -- an interesting film adaptation was done in 1997 starring Richard E. Grant and Helena Bonaham Carter called "A Merry War" that is worth a look if you have time:

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0119453/

A TV film was done of it in 1965 which I haven't seen, so I can't comment on it:

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0884780/

Righto...as the chaps begin to pack things away we have to plan our farewell dance.

Volunteers required for:

1.Organising transport (no horses please).
    2. Organising La Femme. (In 4+ years my French is no better).
    3. Organising a venue with ample beverage and fodder.
    4. Organising the entertainment. (Not the Gunners band either).

The jolly Hun have dropped the football. Now we need to get a replacement office for the Wingco. ..as we were too late to save the shed on Sunday!

The good old Americans have come up trumps and dropped off a record player (some kind of posh gramophone) for a case of bully beef and 4 loaves of bread.

Now we need volunteers for the cricket match against the Gordon Highlanders on Saturday........they have stated they won't resort to rugby tackling our batsmen this time, but will play in kilts so keep the jokes clean lads or well have a ruckus to deal with.

Now we need volunteers for the cricket match against the Gordon Highlanders on Saturday........they have stated they won't resort to rugby tackling our batsmen this time, but will play in kilts so keep the jokes clean lads or well have a ruckus to deal with.[/QUOTE]

I'm up for the cricket but only if the Highlanders are wearing underwear. Could put you right off your game otherwise!
    Last edited by Rebel; 11-14-2018 at 08:45. Reason: Spelling correction

I see that I have just become an Ace! Drinks on me in the Mess tonight then! No bringing those two litre steins either; pints max.
    Last edited by Rebel; 11-14-2018 at 08:50. Reason: Spelling correction

Tres bon mon amies.
    Guess my French is no better either chaps.
    Kyte.

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel View Post
    Now we need volunteers for the cricket match against the Gordon Highlanders on Saturday........they have stated they won't resort to rugby tackling our batsmen this time, but will play in kilts so keep the jokes clean lads or well have a ruckus to deal with.
    "I'm up for the cricket but only if the Highlanders are wearing underwear. Could put you right off your game otherwise!"

The underwear admonition is an important one -- during the Bi-Centenniial of the American Revolution my re-enactment regiment attacked up a hill during one battle attempting to take a position held by a Highland Regiment. As we got about half way up the hill, they grounded arms, about faced, and mooned us (is that an Americanism?) ! Needless to say it was a hairy situation !!!

I see that I have just become an Ace! Drinks on me in the Mess tonight then! No bringing those two litre steins either; pints max.
    Careful there Reg ordering those beers. remember what happened in prague this year

I'm learning to fly, but I ain't got wings
    Coming down is the hardest thing

Could bring a whole new meaning to being stumped then!

Congrats on the new and upgraded gongs Neil. Well donbe.

Kyte...Flying Officer fits the gentleman but when he has had too many G&Ts and gets his dander up, Flipped Off might be appropriate?

Could bring a whole new meaning to being stumped then!
    Or LBW

I'm learning to fly, but I ain't got wings
    Coming down is the hardest thing

Looks more as if he is signalling a Leg bye to me.
    However, if Fielding it must be at deep fine leg.

Rob.

Well he should be protecting his middle and leg, not leaving middle for diddle like that.

Smile

and one for the oldies......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6XROMw3Z4e0
    That's a Classic!

Thumbs up

Ooohh Sheila!
    And they are bloody good Cricketers as well!

Quote Originally Posted by tikkifriend View Post
    Careful there Reg ordering those beers. remember what happened in prague this year

Well one has to take a pee somewhere. To make room for more beer of course!

Well one has to take a pee somewhere. To make room for more beer of course!
    Anyway it was THIS yea!r So how drunk were you?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Similar Missions

1. National Who will water the aspidistra when I'm away?
    By Lt. S.Kafloc in forum UK Wing
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 07-31-2016, 14:36