Ares Games

Thread: Battlestar Galactica - 3D movement

Default Battlestar Galactica - 3D movement

Is movement in the Battlestar Galactica game really 3D or is it really 2d levels with +- 1 level shooting like Wings of Glory? You can turn and shoot backwards, but can you rotate up or down and shoot that way?

Interesting question. In the prototype game we played in Prague you could turn left/right but not up/down
    Run for your life - there are stupid people everywhere!

Quote Originally Posted by Guntruck View Post
    Interesting question. In the prototype game we played in Prague you could turn left/right but not up/down
    The control gizmos had an altitude +1 /-1 indicator peg..........................
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

There will be four 'altitude' levels, so it is not true 3-dimensional movement. (See the rulebook, page 22).

I guess more 3d mechanics would be too difficult for a game. So more like 2d with flying backwards and "inertia". I haven't played the Steve Jackson game that has this or read the BSG rules, but maybe they are similar. Still a cool mechanic if not too complex.

There a switch from X-Wing and WoG. In X-Wing and WoG ships/planes do not obstruct firing. But in BSG you cannot fire through another ship. Seems odd for a 3d-ish space game.

Planes can obstruct firing in WoG Ken - Line of Sight & Overlapping Airplanes p9 in the RAP
    Maybe it's similar in BSG - haven't read the rules so not sure but a good point.

"He is wise who watches"

Quote Originally Posted by Ken at Sunrise View Post
    I guess more 3d mechanics would be too difficult for a game. So more like 2d with flying backwards and "inertia". I haven't played the Steve Jackson game that has this or read the BSG rules, but maybe they are similar. Still a cool mechanic if not too complex.
    Which game Ken? I can only think of Ogre and Car Wars.

Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post
    Planes can obstruct firing in WoG Ken - Line of Sight & Overlapping Airplanes p9 in the RAP
    Maybe it's similar in BSG - haven't read the rules so not sure but a good point.
    Oops I think you're right. Must be just X-Wing.

Quote Originally Posted by BwanaJoe View Post
    Which game Ken? I can only think of Ogre and Car Wars.
    The only one I recall with 'inertia' would be Triplanetary.

Quote Originally Posted by Naharaht View Post
    There will be four 'altitude' levels, so it is not true 3-dimensional movement. (See the rulebook, page 22).
    What he said, but you can only fire on something 1 level different from your ship with the reverse side of the range ruler which is shortened to represent the added angle. Obstacles like asteroids can also be on any of the 1-4 levels as well.

Similar Missions

1. Battlestar Galactica – Starship Battles
    By David Manley in forum BSG: General Discussions
    Replies: 489
    Last Post: 01-15-2020, 22:04
  2. Battlestar Galactica - Movement
    By Naharaht in forum BSG: Rules Help/Stats
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-24-2018, 20:14
  3. Original 1970s Battlestar Galactica Series on TV
    By tikkifriend in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 1