Ares Games
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What's on your November Workbench?

Default What's on your November Workbench?

Haven't started one these in a long time! 3 B-24D's and some great Miscimini's decals seems an easy build, I don't really need any more, why not!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20181031_214223.jpg 
Views:	215 
Size:	159.2 KB 
ID:	257310

That should be a "Liberating" experience!

Go Elves!
    Last edited by Flying Helmut; 11-02-2018 at 07:42.
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

Name:	IMG_4569.jpg 
Views:	198 
Size:	78.5 KB 
ID:	257343

Here is a B-24 I did a few years ago. The plane and decals came from Dave (AIM). Not as good as your Clipper but I like it.

I should have some pics to post tomorrow of what I started for this month.

Albatros D1 from Shapeways (Kampfflieger). Reported in Windsock File as that flown by Leutnant Spitzhoff of Jasta 5. Decals from the Aerodrome Store apart from the personal markings of Ltn Spitzhoff which are hand painted and pencilled!!!! Not brilliant but I can't produce decals with white and I couldn't think of any other way to do them. Models given the usual 3 coats of PVA and water mix (3:1)

Name:	Albatros D1 1.jpg 
Views:	190 
Size:	164.9 KB 
ID:	257445 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Albatros D1 2.jpg 
Views:	189 
Size:	127.0 KB 
ID:	257446

Name:	Albatros D1 3.jpg 
Views:	189 
Size:	153.4 KB 
ID:	257447 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Albatros D1 4.jpg 
Views:	184 
Size:	130.4 KB 
ID:	257448

matt56's Avatar May you forever fly in blue skies.
    Major

Users Country Flag

Name
    Matt
    Sorties Flown

Nice work on the DI, Mike! Your hand-painted markings look great And I love the clouds as a prop to the plane in these pictures - it adds an element that allows the colors of the plane to 'pop'.

All the best,
    Matt

Nice job on that Alb D.I Mike

"He is wise who watches"

Very nice Mike. And as stated like the cloud effect.

So here is my start to Nov. Chinese SB-2's. As always AIM models and MISCMINI decals. Nothing fancy but the start of a new area to get planes in the air.

Name:	IMG_8059.jpg 
Views:	179 
Size:	104.6 KB 
ID:	257464

Name:	IMG_8060.jpg 
Views:	173 
Size:	61.3 KB 
ID:	257465

Name:	IMG_8061.jpg 
Views:	175 
Size:	70.0 KB 
ID:	257466

Name:	IMG_8062.jpg 
Views:	174 
Size:	61.5 KB 
ID:	257467

And to go along with the bombers 3 I-16's. I have to get a few more.

Name:	IMG_8066.jpg 
Views:	174 
Size:	70.4 KB 
ID:	257468

Name:	IMG_8069.jpg 
Views:	172 
Size:	65.9 KB 
ID:	257469

Another nice change from the usual Bob.
    Very smart.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Well this has kept me busy so here are some more planes I did the past few days. P-40's and the same as always. Spent Thursday doing the decals and took pictures today. I still have some pics to post a few more to decal.

Name:	IMG_8070.jpg 
Size:	78.4 KB 
ID:	257470

Name:	IMG_8072.jpg 
Views:	171 
Size:	62.4 KB 
ID:	257471

Name:	IMG_8073.jpg 
Views:	170 
Size:	61.7 KB 
ID:	257472

Name:	IMG_8074.jpg 
Views:	172 
Size:	62.7 KB 
ID:	257473

And now something else different. Dutch Buffalo's.

Name:	IMG_8076.jpg 
Size:	77.7 KB 
ID:	257474

Name:	IMG_8077.jpg 
Size:	60.3 KB 
ID:	257475

Name:	IMG_8078.jpg 
Size:	63.4 KB 
ID:	257476

Two different paint schemes. One what I thought is what was called OLD green and NEW green. The other standard British camo. Messed up the decal on one but think of it as being worn. Don't forget it is in the tropics.

Wow Bob, can't keep pace with that kind of output Beautiful

Well the last for this week until after FALL IN. 2 more Pe 2's for the Russians.

Name:	IMG_8079.jpg 
Size:	77.8 KB 
ID:	257477

Name:	IMG_8081.jpg 
Size:	68.1 KB 
ID:	257478

And here are some Claude's chasing the SB-2 and some of the I-16's.

Name:	IMG_8082.jpg 
Views:	179 
Size:	77.3 KB 
ID:	257479

Name:	IMG_8086.jpg 
Views:	181 
Size:	126.4 KB 
ID:	257480

Name:	IMG_8084.jpg 
Views:	177 
Size:	82.8 KB 
ID:	257481

That certainly is going it some Bob.
    Rob.

Major

Users Country Flag

Name
    Matt
    Sorties Flown

Wow, Bob - you are one prolific little piggy - the Chinese markings are so nice - they've have always been one of my favorites, and the mix of planes they can appear on is really cool Keep up the wonderful work!

All the best,
    Matt

Some nice planes for China and the Pacific Bob. The remainder of mine will have to wait until the new year to get onto the paint bench and probably later rather than sooner. In the process of finishing off some Test of Honour Japanese that are on the bench, plus a small Japanese castle. Then priority goes to British for D Day (big game planned in June) and the terrain (working on a 12 x 6 layout but might have to cut that to 12 x 4. Priority going to land and beach/sea boards (4 foot) the 2 foot sea board may be cancelled depending on time factors.

Neil
    See you on the Dark Side......

Many thanks to all for the comments. As I have said keeps me occupied and my paint jobs don't compare to the masters in here. So I appreciate the comments.

It is still Russian Mania here. Moraine saulniers in the foreground are getting their decals. The Nieuport 17s will be painted grey/silver. There are some gunners clumped on their stand. I am hoping to crew some Caproni's so they don't look so empty.

Name:	IMG_4440.JPG 
Views:	186 
Size:	139.7 KB 
ID:	257491

Here's to them what are like us. Damn few and they're all dead.

Bob that output is amazing both in quantity and quality.

Mike l like the Albatros I have for DII's to paint, yours is good inspiration.

Quote Originally Posted by rhodie80 View Post
    It is still Russian Mania here....
    Don't tell the Donald !
    Nice job Jim - I have some aces names, from a certain book, for you to research if you want to get some cards done:
    Alexander Alexandrovich Kazakov
    Pavel Vladimirovich Argeev
    Ivan Vasiliyevich Smirnov
    Grigoryi Eduardovich Sook
    Eduard Martinovich Pulpe
    Iuryi Vladimirovich Gilsher
    Vasiliyi Ivanovich Yanchenko
    Vjacheslav Matveevich Tkachev http://survincity.com/2011/11/russian-falcon/
    Nikolai Kirillovich Kokorin
    Donat Aduevich Makienock
    Alexander Nikolaevich Prokofiev-Severskyi
    Ivan Alexandrovich Orlov
    Evgraf Nikolaevich Kruten https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yevgraf_Kruten
    Kruten's N.17:

"He is wise who watches"

Nice job on the Albatros D.I there Mike!
    I guess you know I'm quite fond of that particular kite!

Bob, that's a fantastic rate of production you've got going there!
    Can't REP you for all of them, so I'll just have to choose one..........................I choose the 'Flying Tigers'!

I love your Russians, Jim!

I acquired a pile of Shapeways, plus spare Nexus and Ares minis, to allocate to Russia, and a few sheets of decals too, but haven't got near them yet.................

I'll use yours as inspiration when I finally start them.

Thanks Tim. I have 6 planes to paint and 2 to decal. Next weekend is FALLIN so not sure what I will get done this week but may have them all finished by Thursday.

I have 367 Shapeways planes to paint, and even more Nexus/Ares/F-toys/Valom in the queue..............I'll never get to do them all

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Helmut View Post
    I have 367 Shapeways planes to paint, and even more Nexus/Ares/F-toys/Valom in the queue..............I'll never get to do them all
    is there a twelve step program for this ?

Just joking, Tim. I can't fathom having that many models in a 'To Be Painted' queue - that's nearly as many as I have altogether
    You must have some awesome storage capabilities.

Name:	WP_20181104_19_12_34_Pro.jpg 
Views:	165 
Size:	146.7 KB 
ID:	257543Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WP_20181104_19_10_35_Pro.jpg 
Views:	165 
Size:	108.1 KB 
ID:	257544 Wrapping up a few tonight and getting started on a few more.

Major

Users Country Flag

Name
    Matt
    Sorties Flown

That Nieuport with the Alexander Nevsky (?) on the side is very nice, Dave - Jim will have to make a decal for it

Your P-47 and Sturmovik looks wonderful, as well, Dave

Tim, do you have a dedicated period of time each day where you work on planes/painting/repainting? It has always been something that I have aspired to, but I get easily sidetracked...

All the best,
    Matt

Preparing cards for the arrival of my Polish Squadron and Bader's boys.

Name:	IMG_6965.jpg 
Views:	155 
Size:	184.3 KB 
ID:	257584

Rob.

Quote Originally Posted by matt56 View Post
    Tim, do you have a dedicated period of time each day where you work on planes/painting/repainting? It has always been something that I have aspired to, but I get easily sidetracked...

All the best,
    Matt
    Matt, the reason I still have so many planes to do is that I DON'T have a dedicated time to work on them!

I did about 4 hours yesterday, but that is the first time I have touched them since October 3rd!

I have found myriad reasons why I don't do more (family, work, social life, chores etc.) but the real reason is that I'm fundamentally LAZY, and take the 'can't be bothered today' route far too often.
    I'm trying to implement a more disciplined approach, but it's just not paying off yet..................

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Helmut View Post
    Matt, the reason I still have so many planes to do is that I DON'T have a dedicated time to work on them!

I did about 4 hours yesterday, but that is the first time I have touched them since October 3rd!

I have found myriad reasons why I don't do more (family, work, social life, chores etc.) but the real reason is that I'm fundamentally LAZY, and take the 'can't be bothered today' route far too often.
    I'm trying to implement a more disciplined approach, but it's just not paying off yet..................
    I'm with you there, Tim. I have so much metal and plastic to paint, that I just sigh, and read a book.
    And I discovered a fresh frustration, as I'm trying to assemble Bolt Action Figures, with little guidance from the box. Who would think 28mm would seem so small!
    Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

Nice Sturmovik. Here are 2 I did a few months ago.

Name:	IMG_7952.jpg 
Views:	138 
Size:	85.0 KB 
ID:	257725

As with others I have many things to paint just need to get to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte View Post
    Preparing cards for the arrival of my Polish Squadron and Bader's boys.

Name:	IMG_6965.jpg 
Views:	155 
Size:	184.3 KB 
ID:	257584

Rob.
    OMG.

"Those are some nice cards. I wonder who did those up for Rob? Or is he now doing some really nice cards of his own?"

Checks albums, and finds the cards. *Facepalm*

I'm turning 60 next year, and that old person's disease is manifesting...
    Mike
    "Flying is learning to throw yourself at the ground and miss" Douglas Adams
    "Wings of Glory won't skin your elbows and knees while practicing." OldGuy59

I resurrected yours and added the ones that you had not done myself. I am gradually getting the hang of this Mike.
    The Barder Squadron of Gardner and McKnight which is just out of shot at the top of the screen with Siudak were added by me because I had no copy of any that you had done. Still can't isolate a plane from its background without fuzzy edges though.
    Rob.

Sigh...seeing all these planes makes me want to dig into some of my AIM/Shaeways backlog. Been painting other peoples stuff all year and need do to some of my own....Hmm..got that Betty, Defiant, and a few ME 262's I can whip out in a day or two.

Major

Users Country Flag

Name
    Matt
    Sorties Flown

Tim, I unfortunately suffer from the same maladies as you and Karl! For a while I was on a schedule of 'at least an hour a day' - but that didn't last too long. Since we've moved, there hasn't really been time or place to do anything with regularity. I am finally making some headway in turning the back room into my work area/drastically downsized man cave, so hopefully by month's end I can be up and working semi-regularly again. Having multiple interests in model painting and figure work doesn't help - thank goodness I have been successful at downsizing my gaming and modelling interests somewhat! I continue to avoid the rabbit hole that is Bolt Action...

You're welcome, Dave!

All the best,
    Matt

And so, to return to early WW1 for a moment or two. This Martinsyde S1 scout represents one of four that were sent to the Mesopotamian theatre for the use of "A" Flight of 30 Squadron, RFC. Martinsyde S.1 scout 4250 (IFC 8) (the latter designation being the Indian Flying Corps number) was flown mainly by Captain H A Petre ("Peter the Monk") before being handed over to Lt E J Fulton, who was shot down whilst flying it on 22 November 1915. "A" Flight of 30 Squadron was formerly known as "The Australian Half Flight" officially formed on 1st April 1915. Source: Wings Over Mesopotamia - Air war in Iraq 1914 - 1918, by Mark Lax, Mike O'Connor and Ray Vann and published on behalf of Cross & Cockade International in association with The Australian Society of World War One Aero Historians.

Roundels by MISCMINI; number decals are my own.

Name:	MS 7.jpg 
Views:	110 
Size:	118.5 KB 
ID:	257846 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MS 9.jpg 
Views:	107 
Size:	114.1 KB 
ID:	257847

Name:	MS 10.jpg 
Views:	109 
Size:	120.0 KB 
ID:	257848 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MS 12.jpg 
Views:	109 
Size:	127.2 KB 
ID:	257849

And to finish off, the rest of the aircraft now available for the use of the RFC in this and other early war theatres. More Central Powers aircraft to follow - some day

Name:	MS 14.jpg 
Views:	111 
Size:	252.9 KB 
ID:	257850

Name:	IMG_0419.jpg 
Size:	167.0 KB 
ID:	257865

Name:	IMG_0418.jpg 
Size:	151.8 KB 
ID:	257866

My Vickers Gun bus, I am afraid to paint the blue white and red (British), and Red white and blue (French) striped on the tails.
    Any ideas on how to do this so it looks good?

Quote Originally Posted by mikeemagnus View Post

Name:	MS 14.jpg 
Views:	111 
Size:	252.9 KB 
ID:	257850
    You're just showing off now. These are excellent, they really look the business. the last one looks very good, almost no graininess, was that still the 3 coat's of dilute PVA. Nice job on the tail stripes as well.

This has nothing to do with any paint job that I'm trying to emulate, except Kempf's perhaps. But, in looking for Dave's [clipper1801] AH Fall Camo on his E.III, I found a hi-def copy of a Fokker Streaked camo decal sheet, and had to try out the look.

Name:	Fokker Dr 1_Streaked.jpg 
Views:	97 
Size:	82.7 KB 
ID:	257868

Anyone know which Jasta did the light blue tail trim?

PS: Perhaps Jasta 14, Ltn Hasso Von Wedel? The streaked camo decal sheet (Aviattic ATT32144) had no other markings, except the tail trim color, and it was a light, nearly-teal blue. The wing crosses I left from another card scheme, and are probably incorrect for the period and specific plane.
    Last edited by OldGuy59; 11-09-2018 at 15:10.
    Mike
    "Flying is learning to throw yourself at the ground and miss" Douglas Adams
    "Wings of Glory won't skin your elbows and knees while practicing." OldGuy59

A quick googling comes up empty. In fact, from a couple of lists of Jasta colors, Jasta 5 is the only one with an outlined tailplane (also rudder). Green with a red outline.
    Given that the whole rest of the plane is the Fokker factory streaked green, I would go with fictional.
    Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

was that still the 3 coat's of dilute PVA.
    Yep, still the three coats John. With the tail stripes I pencil in the vertical lines first and use them as a guide. A well loaded brush does the rest - with plenty of touching up and bad language to go with it

Major

Users Country Flag

Name
    Matt
    Sorties Flown

I seem to remember reading somewhere that the sky blue rim on the horizontal stabilizer was factory finish where the underside sky blue 'wrapped around'...not sure where I came across it, unfortunately...it might have been the Windsock datafile on the Dr. I Jastas - I will dig it out and look for the info...

All the best,
    Matt
    Last edited by matt56; 11-10-2018 at 02:03.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeemagnus View Post
    Yep, still the three coats John. With the tail stripes I pencil in the vertical lines first and use them as a guide. A well loaded brush does the rest - with plenty of touching up and bad language to go with it
    I've just had a look at your albums, and there's quite a big difference in the grainyness between your older Shapeways planes and the newer ones, so the work involved with the preparation is paying off.
    Looking again at the recent Albatros D1 did you consider using a drawing pen rather than the pencil for the line in the personal marking. Hobbycraft do a range of sizes uni pn I got a 0.05mm for eyes on 28mm figures but they do thicker ones and it's quite a strong black line.
    I've not used it on planes so test first Just a thought.

did you consider using a drawing pen rather than the pencil for the line in the personal marking. Hobbycraft do a range of sizes uni pn I got a 0.05mm
    I hadn't thought of that one John although a friend of mine did suggest it a few weeks back - just haven't got around to looking for one yet Shall do so soon and thanks for the reminder.

I've just had a look at your albums, and there's quite a big difference in the grainyness between your older Shapeways planes and the newer ones,
    Yes, absolutely right John. When I first signed up to the Drome I hadn't a clue what I was doing and had never heard of Shapeways before. So my first attempts at painting aircraft models from them were very basic. Then Zoe Brain gave me some good advice and I began to follow it. Things have improved a lot since then and I'm enjoying the painting a lot more now. Same goes for decals. Although I cannot produce white, the rest I can, at least as basic images (don't look too closely at the colours, because they are probably nowhere near accurate) and the advice I received from Zoe, Rob Kite and others has been great. The next stage, which is worrying me I have to confess, is coming to terms with German camouflage. I did have a go with the Hansa Brandenburg W12, but that was really only manipulating a ready made set to fit my model. Mike, OldGuy59, is the expert there and I shall attempt to learn from his guides. But its going to be a struggle I think. I know I can always use other folks decals, but that defeats the object for me

Anyway, I'm rambling again. Thanks for looking at the albums - back to the November work bench I think I've not got 367 to paint ( Tim ) but the number is growing!

Major

Users Country Flag

Name
    Matt
    Sorties Flown

Just pulled out my copy of Windsock Datafiles' Fokker Dr.I Jagdstaffeln by Greg Van Wyngarden - on the inside cover, there is a series of great color profiles of factory-finish triplanes. It says, "A solid coat of light blue was applied to underside of fuselage & flying surfaces. It wrapped around the edge of the lower fuselage & tailplane forming a narrow border."

It seems, Mike, that you have decals for a 'factory-fresh' Fokker...

All the best,
    Matt

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Similar Missions

1. What's on your workbench----AUG
    By BobP in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 104
    Last Post: 09-03-2017, 21:39
  2. What's On Your Workbench for November 2015?
    By Пилот in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 111
    Last Post: 11-30-2015, 04:16
  3. The OTHER workbench . . .
    By clipper1801 in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 09-08-2015, 04:30
  4. Whats on your workbench for November?
    By richard m schwab in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 84
    Last Post: 11-30-2014, 18:50
  5. The Workbench
    By Oberst Hajj in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 68
    Last Post: 03-18-2012, 22:58