Ares Games

Thread: Attacking V-1 Buzz Bombs aka "Doodlebugs"

Users Country Flag

Name
    Daniel
    Arizona (Otherwise known as Hell's back porch)
    Sorties Flown

Default Attacking V-1 Buzz Bombs aka "Doodlebugs"

Okay,
    This is what I came up with for moving and attacking V-1 Buzz Bombs "Doodlebugs"
    Keep in mind that I have not play tested this yet, and hopefully will be doing so very soon.
    If anyone has any suggested changes, please copy and paste the original text with the suggested changes in ( ) so I know that these are the suggested changes as opposed to the original text.

So, here goes.

V-1 RULES

Move: 'Q' Deck
    Use only straights, sideslips, & stalls for normal movement.
    Keep 1 shallow & 1 hard Right turn and 1 Shallow & 1 hard Left turn, and the Dive card to the side and face down.
    Shuffle the movement deck(s).
    Draw two cards randomly to start. At the end of each round/turn place the used card face down at the bottom of the deck. Move the 2nd card to the 1st position, then draw the top card on the maneuver deck and place it in the 2nd position.
    All movement is FAST unless it suffers Engine damage.

V-1 Hit points= 12

Shooting at the V-1:
    Special damage chits such as Pilot/Crew hit, Rudder hits cause 1 additional point of damage instead of the critical damage.
    Other Special Damage Chits:
    Engine; first hit the V-1 only moves Slow for all future movements. If the V-1 suffers an additional engine hit either in the same shooting phase or subsequent shooting phase, then it automatically goes down. Play the Dive card until it crashes into the ground.
    Special damage chit:
    Explosion, Fire and Smoke; If any of these chits are drawn then the V-1 explodes instantly and every airplane's base center of it's peg that is within the half range (Short Range) when measured from the center of the V-1's base draws 1 'C' damage chit.

Special rules for "Flipping" the V-1
    In order to "Flip" the V-1 to bring it down, the attacking airplane must be at the same altitude and have no climb counters, and must maneuver so that the long side of the aircraft base overlaps a portion of the long side of the V-1 Base.

If the center peg of the attacking aircraft is roughly even with the center peg of the V-1, then the attacker may declare that they are attempting to flip the V-1.
    The attacker will draw one 'D' damage chit. If the value is Zero then the attempt has missed. If the damage is 5 or 8 and no special damage is listed on the chit, the flip is successful, and the V-1 will turn then dive in the next turn phase. Draw one of the Turn cards randomly then place it in front of the V-1. If there are any collisons then resolve them as normal. After the left or right turn, the V-1 will dive and continue to dive until it crashes to the ground.

If the chit drawn is a rudder jam, crew or smoke then the V-1 does the following in the next movement phase:
    Rudder jam Left: The V-1 will perform a hard turn to the right, Right Rudder Jam the V-1 will perform a hard turn to the left. In both cases the attacking aircraft suffers damage equal to 1/2 of the value of the damage chit rounded down. Also, the attacking aircraft will suffer a permanent special Damage Rudder Jam in the direction of the drawn chit. This is to represent damage to the wing and aileron in the wing used to perform the attack.

If the special damage "Crew" chit is drawn the V-1 will perform a shallow turn to the Left and if the Smoke chit is drawn the V-1 will perform a shallow turn to the right.
    In both instances the turn after the V-1 performs a turn movement then play the "Dive" card until it crashes into the ground.

If the Damage chit drawn is 10, 12, 15, 18 then the V-1 is damaged in such a way that it desintegrates into pieces, and the attacking aircraft suffers 1/2 of the damage indicated on the chit rounded down.

If the special damage chit "Fire" is drawn, then the V-1 explodes immediately and the attacking aircraft suffers 5 points of damage (no special damage).

If the special damage chit "engine" is drawn, then the V-1's engine was damaged in the attempt. The next movement card to be placed is a stall card, then the Dive card following the Stall. The V-1 continues to dive until it crashes to the ground.

If the special damage chit "Explosion" is drawn, then the V-1 explodes and the attacking airplane draws 2 "C" damage chits. Only special damage chits "Rudder Jam Left or Right", Engine, Crew, and Fire, apply. Ignore the others. If an "Explosion" chit is drawn, then draw a replacement damage chit.

If the center peg of the attacking aircraft is forward or behind the center peg of the V-1, Apply all of the above except ignore the special damage on the damage chits and treat them as normal damage. If the "Explosion" chit is drawn then draw 2 "C" damage chits. Only special damage chits "Rudder Jam Left or Right", Engine, Crew, and Fire, apply. Ignore the others. If an "Explosion" chit is drawn, then draw a replacement damage chit.

Daniel; Did you see Zoe Brain's take on the bugs?
    https://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/sh...-Kettering-Bug

Cards are here: https://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/do...o=file&id=1600

I apparently never filed my rules, and I can't find the decks (in the computer) that I did. Mine were faster than her's.
    UAC stats for them is 8 hits, ceiling 8 climb 4 (why since there's no climb/dive cards). and a D damage to all planes at short range if they explode. She has this with an explosion card; I had it with 4+ damage done in a phase.

Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

Users Country Flag

Name
    Daniel
    Sorties Flown

Quote Originally Posted by Jager View Post

I apparently never filed my rules, and I can't find the decks (in the computer) that I did. Mine were faster than her's.
    UAC stats for them is 8 hits, ceiling 8 climb 4 (why since there's no climb/dive cards). and a D damage to all planes at short range if they explode. She has this with an explosion card; I had it with 4+ damage done in a phase.

Karl
    That I believe is for the WWI Kettering Bug.
    What I'm running is the V-1 Fieseler Fi-103 Buzz Bomb also known as the Doodle bug. Completely different things. Also this is for WW2 not WWI.

Look forward to seeing the results from your play testing Daniel - I have some suggestions you might try out when you do.

Movement
    Use only straights, sideslips, & stalls for normal movement.
    I'd use just straights, mixing in the other cards will make it nigh on impossible to sidle up alongside to tip it. I'd keep the dive but ditch all the sharp turns etc too.

Shooting
    Explosion, Fire and Smoke; If any of these chits are drawn then the V-1 explodes instantly and every airplane's base center of it's peg that is within the half range (Short Range) when measured from the center of the V-1's base draws 1 'C' damage chit.
    Notoriously dangerous to shoot at, I'd suggest firer draws 2 'C' damage chit at short range & draws 1 'C' damage chit at long range. Chase planes often flew into the debris of a destroyed bug & took damage.

Tipping
    The attacker will draw one 'D' damage chit. If the value is Zero then the attempt has missed. If the damage is 5 or 8 and no special damage is listed on the chit, the flip is successful, and the V-1 will turn then dive in the next turn phase....
    I would strip this right back to be successful or not - so fails on a zero and/or special damage; succeeds on anything else. The V.1 was controlled by its gyro, once toppled they fell out of the sky. No random turns. No explosion. (if you do play that a 1000kg of explosive going bang at your wingtip will do more than 5 damage )
    Last edited by flash; 10-29-2018 at 07:57.

"He is wise who watches"

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Knowitall View Post
    That I believe is for the WWI Kettering Bug.
    What I'm running is the V-1 Fieseler Fi-103 Buzz Bomb also known as the Doodle bug. Completely different things. Also this is for WW2 not WWI.
    Opps, sorry; incomplete reading
    (not really myself yesterday either)
    Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

I like your thinking Dave.
    It will make me even more keen to give this a go when i get back to WW2.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Users Country Flag

Name
    Daniel
    Sorties Flown

Quote Originally Posted by Jager View Post

Karl
    Just noticed... Wrong kind of bug...

Users Country Flag

Name
    Daniel
    Sorties Flown

Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post
    Look forward to seeing the results from your play testing Daniel - I have some suggestions you might try out when you do.

Movement
    I'd use just straights, mixing in the other cards will make it nigh on impossible to sidle up alongside to tip it. I'd keep the dive but ditch all the sharp turns etc too.

Shooting
    Notoriously dangerous to shoot at, I'd suggest firer draws 2 'C' damage chit at short range & draws 1 'C' damage chit at long range. Chase planes often flew into the debris of a destroyed bug & took damage.

Tipping

I would strip this right back to be successful or not - so fails on a zero and/or special damage; succeeds on anything else. The V.1 was controlled by its gyro, once toppled they fell out of the sky. No random turns. No explosion. (if you do play that a 1000kg of explosive going bang at your wingtip will do more than 5 damage )
    I like your take on this, and actually implemented them to the scenario.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Daniel
    Sorties Flown

Movement

Shooting

Tipping

I wish that I could upload my pics of the game here. Unfortunately the pic file exceeds my upload limit. So... No pics here... Sorry.
    The best that I can do is to post this link to the photo album that I created on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/media/set?s...9784471&type=3
    Last edited by Captain Knowitall; 10-21-2021 at 12:28.

That works - I thought I saw an impressive bank of smoke & an explosion.. then realised it was chit bags & a packet of Cheetos !

"He is wise who watches"

Users Country Flag

Name
    Daniel
    Sorties Flown

That works - I thought I saw an impressive bank of smoke & an explosion.. then realised it was chit bags & a packet of Cheetos !
    LOLOLOLOL!!!

Similar Missions

1. "Salute" 22-04-2017 Game #1 - "Bloody April"
    By Flying Helmut in forum WGF: After Action Reports
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 05-21-2017, 10:48
  2. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-20-2015, 07:12
  3. Piaggio P108 "Bombs over Gibraltrar"
    By Mad Charly in forum Metal and Resin Models
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-30-2015, 14:03
  4. WGF & WGS: Wings of Glory at "Etna Comics" and "Settimo in Gioco" (Italy, September 2012)
    By Angiolillo in forum Site News and Announcements
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 09-13-2012, 09:19
  5. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-01-2012, 02:39