Ares Games
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Special Pack #3 (Medium Bombers) on the Way...?

Great Mike.
    Just the ticket.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

I need a minimum of 4-5 Medium bombers.

Voilą le soleil d'Austerlitz!

matt56's Avatar May you forever fly in blue skies.
    Major

Users Country Flag

Name
    Matt
    Sorties Flown

I am sure I will need several myself...

All the best,
    Matt

I'll be riding that bandwagon too!
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

Users Country Flag

Name
    Marek
    Sorties Flown

My wallet is affraid of the release day ..

Quote Originally Posted by CappyTom View Post
    Is there a release date?

Thomas
    We could only hope.
    Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

Even .i am after a couple of Do17 and one Ju88

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG3187~2.jpg 
Views:	224 
Size:	115.0 KB 
ID:	268699
    On display at UKGE at the weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by Woof View Post

Name:	IMAG3187~2.jpg 
Views:	224 
Size:	115.0 KB 
ID:	268699
    Hmmm... 4th Quarter 2019. October-December.

Time enough to save up some money?
    Mike
    "Flying is learning to throw yourself at the ground and miss" Douglas Adams
    "Wings of Glory won't skin your elbows and knees while practicing." OldGuy59

Quote Originally Posted by clipper1801 View Post
    Why even bother?
    Targets for my (Nexus) Hurricanes to shoot down?
    Mike

There are so few places to buy any of our planes these days we will not have anyone to fly against . . . I suppose we could merge with BRS.

As much as I would have preferred them to come out in Q4 2017 or even Q4 2018, and even though I already have three of each Ju-88's, Do-17's, Blenheim MkIVs and SM-79s from other sources I will still be picking up this set for the day when I again have time to get some planes on the table.

(looks wistfully into the distant future)

Quote Originally Posted by Woof View Post
    Why there is no emoticon with hearths in eyes?
    Well done, Mark, thank you for your work.

Having produced 6 off very nice Zvesda JU88's I will not be buying the Ares offering. I will wait and see what the Dorniers look like as I would quite like some of those.

Dorniers and Blenheims are all that I need, as I have self built and painted my Italians and Junkers.

Rob.

Thank you for the picture, Mark.

According to this picture, the left Ju.88 appears to have a shorter wingspan than the Ju.88 on the right.
    The left Ju.88 might be an A-1 version (18,37 meters wingspan). The miniature seems to have pairs of bombs under the wings between the engine and the fuselage.
    The right Ju.88 could be an A-4 version (or any late A version - 20 meters wingspan). The miniature seems to carry torpedoes under the wings between the engine and the fuselage (A-17 version had 2 torpedoes LT F5b).

Name:	4902D3E9-6541-4841-BC89-9ACAAC6C0C14.jpeg 
Views:	190 
Size:	26.4 KB 
ID:	268705

Quote Originally Posted by monse View Post
    Thank you for the picture, Mark.

According to this picture, the left Ju.88 appears to have a shorter wingspan than the Ju.88 on the right.
    The left Ju.88 might be an A-1 version (18,37 meters wingspan). The miniature seems to have pairs of bombs under the wings between the engine and the fuselage.
    The right Ju.88 could be an A-4 version (or any late A version - 20 meters wingspan). The miniature seems to carry torpedoes under the wings between the engine and the fuselage (A-17 version had 2 torpedoes LT F5b).

Name:	4902D3E9-6541-4841-BC89-9ACAAC6C0C14.jpeg 
Size:	26.4 KB 
ID:	268705
    Ju.88 A-1:

Name:	Ju88_A1_Lines.jpg 
Views:	191 
Size:	57.9 KB 
ID:	268706

Ju.88 A-4 (Early):

Name:	Ju88_A4_ Lines.png 
Size:	61.2 KB 
ID:	268707

Ju.88 A-4 (Late):

Name:	Ju88_A4_Junkers_Late_Lines.jpg 
Views:	195 
Size:	79.4 KB 
ID:	268708

PS: It will be really interesting to see what ARES puts out for Plane and Management cards for these planes. Perhaps including Torpedo rules?
    Last edited by OldGuy59; 06-06-2019 at 10:19.
    Mike

I do hope so Mike.
    You chaps have good eyesight, or maybe it is just me!
    Anyway, that revised my buyers intentions. Must have a pair of each of those. The torpedo carriers will be great for Malta.
    Rob.

The upshot for not having any interest in these airplanes is more money in my account for flight training. Leaded airplane fuel is expensive.

If nothing else, having the official decks for these planes, plus then possibly matching unofficial ones better.
    Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

I guess SM.79 without torpedo rules does not make sense. And I think Mike knows something special, right, Mike?

Failing that I will continue to use neil's torpedo rules which have served us well over the last three years or so. Taranto proved that!
    Rob.

No reason why not to do - sometimes, home rules work better than original.

[joke]
    By the way, we resolved night fighing rules... Sometimes we feel sad nobody see nice painted bellies of our minis, so I proposed play on mirror. But it must be outside to have the sky reflection on it to feel like between clouds. Then the easiest thing is wait until dark falls and play with "night rules".
    [/joke]

matt56's Avatar May you forever fly in blue skies.
    Major

Users Country Flag

Name
    Matt
    Sorties Flown

Luckily, my foray into WW2 is still somewhat limited, so I will be getting plenty of these models... I am particularly looking forward to the SM79s...

All the best,
    Matt

Quote Originally Posted by Dan-Sam View Post
    I guess SM.79 without torpedo rules does not make sense. And I think Mike knows something special, right, Mike?
    I don't have any advanced info on this release, Dan. I haven't been play-testing any WWII rules.
    Mike

You have not been there? I thought you were playing it, but I see I was wrong. Hard to keep my memories. Anyway, you know at least something (that they are in progress)
    Last edited by Dan-Sam; 06-07-2019 at 07:37.

Quote Originally Posted by Carl_Brisgamer View Post
    Probably a Do 17Z-7 or Z-10 variant, as I recall they both had solid noses.
    This Do.17 miniature picture (Essen) shows that the nose shape looks like the Z-10 rather than the Z-7

Name:	CC7F7E8A-0B1B-4EB7-BA2F-F836E89E610F.jpeg 
Views:	140 
Size:	31.3 KB 
ID:	270326

Name:	32F514AB-7DE8-4785-9758-E3D1CF2FA72B.jpg 
Views:	135 
Size:	34.4 KB 
ID:	270327

Name:	7B662841-A1CA-430D-8014-1A57FD8BBFF4.jpg 
Views:	139 
Size:	40.6 KB 
ID:	270328

Pictures and historical informations have been published on CSI.
    https://www.coolstuffinc.com/main_se...leasedate|desc

No ID markings figure on minis. Decals sheet are provided in each box as notified in the contents list.
    No stats figure on base yet.
    Dornier 17 has the medium base (same as Beaufighter and Bf.110) with small pegs.
    The Junker 88 has the large base (same as He.111, B.25, B.17, Lancaster).
    It appears that the base of Ju.88 (which is digitally added to the photo) shows up in the wrong size, as confirmed by Ares, and the pictures will be modified later.

Junkers Ju.88 A-1 (KG77)
    The Junkers Ju.88 A-1, originally designed as a light and a dive-bomber, was also used as a night-fighter, a torpedo bomber, and a special mission aircraft. The A-1 version was equipped with offensive forward-firing machine guns and it was able to dive bomb, being equipped with air brakes. Even if it proved to be able to face Allied fighters, its defensive armaments were poor and its bomb load was inadequate for its original purposes, and afterwards its rear firing dorsal gun was reinforced and a fifth gun was added in the lower nose.
    KG77
    The Kampfgeschwader 77 was a Luftwaffe bomber wing that fought in all the major combat fronts all over Europe during WW2. They used all major German bomber types; though the most used was Junkers Ju.88 A.
    AREWGS305A

Name:	01146369-B510-4D6E-BB45-446DD9CD0850.jpeg 
Views:	109 
Size:	16.0 KB 
ID:	270506

Junkers Ju.88 A-4 (KGr506)
    The Junkers Ju.88 A-4, was the most important version of all Ju.88 A-series and it entered service in very small numbers in 1939, equipped significant numbers of units during 1940, and was the most important German bomber at the start of Operation Barbarossa in 1941. The A-4 solved the problems that had limited the performance of the A-1, increasing the wingspan, using more powerful engines as 1,400hp Jumo 211F or 211J, fortifying the internal armor (especially around the cockpit), and increasing its rate of fire, carrying five guns and a bomb load of 7,936lbs.
    KGr506
    KGr 506 was formed from KGr 906 on 1941 and renamed Battle Group 506, and it was used in the air offensive against England. At the end of 1941, it was deployed with the Ju.88 A-4 against land and sea targets.
    AREWGS305B

Name:	3EA73E19-4083-4E45-ACEF-856DE733BBC3.jpeg 
Views:	109 
Size:	16.4 KB 
ID:	270507

Dornier Do.17 Z (KG76)
    Designed in the early 1930s, the Dornier Do.17 was one of the most important German bombers during the first years of the war. The Do.17 Z was its most advanced version, with a new cockpit design, extended to insert a rear firing gunner, new more powerful engines, and more effective defensive armament. First adopted in 1939, the Z-version was also used for reconnaissance missions and as a night fighter. The Z-version was extremely resistant to enemy weapons and able to execute disengagement dives at high speed.
    KG76
    Kampfgeschwader 76 (KG 76) was formed on 1 May 1939 in Austria and fought in most of the WW2 battles. After being trained on Dornier Do.17 E at the end of 1939, the formation adopted the Dornier Do.17 Z, used during the Battle of Britain.
    AREWGS205A

Name:	50B7A1C0-2097-47F0-9EDD-6570F74A7080.jpeg 
Views:	108 
Size:	17.7 KB 
ID:	270508

Dornier Do.17 Z-10 (NJG.2)
    The Dornier Do.17 Z-10, was one of the last versions of Do.17. It was modified from a bomber to a night-fighter, because the Germans needed a night-fighter with a longer range. Among the improvements made, the Z-10 had a custom-built nose containing four 7.92mm MG 17s and two 20mm MG FF cannons, and the addition of heavy steel plates bolted to the nose bulkhead as extra armor, to protect the crew against frontal fire.
    NJG.2
    The Z-10 contained an IR searchlight for the Spanner infrared detection system, but it proved to be a failure in practice; a single airplane was equipped with and tested the Lichtenstein radar system.
    AREWGS205B

Name:	01AFD5FF-C94C-4304-90C4-6B36D01B45A3.jpeg 
Size:	17.8 KB 
ID:	270509

For some reason I thought there were other airplanes in this set. I did not realize this was a dedicated Nazi expansion.

Quote Originally Posted by Tokhuah View Post
    For some reason I thought there were other airplanes in this set. I did not realize this was a dedicated Nazi expansion.
    Bristol Blenheim for Britain and SM-79 for Italy.

Right, would like to see the SM-79, partially because it is an unusual choice.

Painted cannopy frames are nice surprise, but the lower light-blue colour in cockpit is not the...best...

Quote Originally Posted by Dawn Patrol View Post
    Bristol Blenheim for Britain and SM-79 for Italy.
    Probably see these about the middle of next year then!
    Rob.

... I did not realize this was a dedicated Nazi expansion.
    Yes, we have Göring and Hess as pilot cards and each airplane pack has little swastika flag in it.

Not quite sure I want to start discussion about Nazism in our game. Or if, it would be better in separate thread.

Was not trying to do that. I was simply using Nazi for Germans the same way people use the term Yanks for Americans. Do not put too much thought into it, in fact, my mind is completely blank right now...

Right.
    I hope that is Satisfactory to everyone. If anybody needs to discuss it further PM me and we will consider a deletion or other way of ironing out the misunderstanding.
    Rob.

I read this thread with interest and joy.

For myself I don't care about, but I thought that the word "dedicated" pushes Ares & Andrea into a bad light.

Was not trying to do that. I was simply using Nazi for Germans the same way people use the term Yanks for Americans. Do not put too much thought into it, in fact, my mind is completely blank right now...
    I read it the same way. Didn’t think it showed anybody in a bad light, though I suppose a less knowledgeable group could possibly misconstrue.

And there I was, looking into Hess' flight to England, trying to figure out what type of plane he flew, and if it was one of the new releases. Nope. It was a slightly modified Bf-110.

Thanks for the educational opportunity, Sven.
    Mike

One of the few Bf.110 who reached it's goal during BoB

And look at all the trouble that caused Daniel.

Rob.

Saw these at ukge early June.
    I asked when they were expecting them to be reljeased, was told late Q3 this year, so late Oct...... ish

Quote Originally Posted by monse View Post
    Dornier Do.17 Z-10 (NJG.2)
    The Dornier Do.17 Z-10, was one of the last versions of Do.17. It was modified from a bomber to a night-fighter, because the Germans needed a night-fighter with a longer range. Among the improvements made, the Z-10 had a custom-built nose containing four 7.92mm MG 17s and two 20mm MG FF cannons, and the addition of heavy steel plates bolted to the nose bulkhead as extra armor, to protect the crew against frontal fire.
    NJG.2
    The Z-10 contained an IR searchlight for the Spanner infrared detection system, but it proved to be a failure in practice; a single airplane was equipped with and tested the Lichtenstein radar system.
    AREWGS205B

Name:	01AFD5FF-C94C-4304-90C4-6B36D01B45A3.jpeg 
Size:	17.8 KB 
ID:	270509
    I'm specially intersted in this one.

Hope for a good punch versus the Lancasters.

Hopefully before 31at October 2019.

Guess I'll have to schedule a rewrite of some of the unofficial aircraft this fall.
    Karl

I'm just curious, Karl: How much are your status similar to Andrea's? About approx 80%?

Well, the only plane I have done that was later released was the Bf-109K. I haven't gone back and compared my guess with Andrea's work, so I should.
    The one difference with the information we have now on bomber release is that he has the Ju.88 on the bomber base wherein I had it on a heavy fighter base.
    My reasoning was that the apparent maneuverability outweighed the wingspan issue. Since Andrea has spoken (as it were), I will have to rethink my opinion of the P-38 lightning also.
    Also, when the P-47 came out, I revised the Corsair to it's deck, as it more closely resembled the thunderbolt than the mustang.
    Karl

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Similar Missions

1. Wings of Glory Special Pack "Dambuster" im Einsatz
    By Marechallannes in forum German Wing
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 08-17-2015, 11:56
  2. Need Japanese Medium Bombers? Here they are;)
    By Nightbomber in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 03-02-2015, 17:19
  3. Special Mitchell bombers for the Bismark Sea raid.
    By gully_raker in forum WGS: Historical Discussions
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 08-11-2013, 04:01
  4. Bombers Special Packs available ... ordered ...and arrived!
    By d@niele in forum WGF: General Discussions
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 05-17-2012, 16:50