Ares Games

Thread: OTTBE Mission 26 The War to end all Wars! 11th Nov 1918 {Vagabond}

Default OTTBE Mission 26 The War to end all Wars! 11th Nov 1918 {Vagabond}

“Cremetti, I need a volunteer, you’re it, come on lad, get your skates on and I’ll explain on the way to the hangers”.

Lt John Kane turned on his heel and Max Cremetti was too flabbergasted to blurt out the obvious fact that the war was over – all bar the shouting. The treaty was due to be signed some time today, word was out and everyone had greeted it in different ways.

Strangely not everyone was enthusiastic, thoughts of civy street, wives, girlfriends, going back into the factory or down the pit, the old 9 to 5. Their squadron had not been at the front too long, they were lucky in that respect, C flight had taken a few knocks but everyone was alive and some were still even enjoying the adrenaline rush that being a fighter pilot brought. Of course – realistically given the choice no one in their right mind wanted to risk life and limb everyday, but even so.

Cremetti had been studying History when his King and Country needed him and he was worried about this treaty, he knew the seeds of this war were sown 40 years before due to another humiliating peace treaty and if this one was the same then who knows what the future would bring, nothing good he was sure of that.
    European history was littered with wars and peace treaties and nothing seemed to be learned from the past. These were not thoughts he could express and indeed were soon gone as he raced off after his Flight Commander Lt John Kane.

“Ok all I know is they are signing the treaty today and we have received a message from the Huns that some of their pilots don’t agree with the surrender terms and are going to do something about it. Seems they have taken a loaded bomber, probably a Hanover and are intending dropping the lot on the generals signing the treaty”.

“I know what you’re thinking, the Brass don’t give a damn when the bombs are being dropped on us, for goodness sake they wont even give us parachutes in case it weakens our moral fibre, but our orders are to intercept this bomber and shoot it down. We would have done that yesterday without a thought, so this is no different”.

Cremetti was thinking it sounded like Kane was trying to convince himself more than Cremetti.

“Right then - we don’t know if this guff is true or indeed if the bomber is on its own or has support from others so we will have to assume anyone we see is hostile unless we have good reason to think otherwise”.

“I have the coordinates, it’s a Chateau in the forest near Compiegne, you know the place, we flew over it last week when that pigeon flew into your prop and you thought you were never going to get the blood out of your flying jacket. I know you were more concerned about how you were going to explain to that pretty French waitress that you hadn’t been wounded in the service of your King and Country, but had tried making pigeon pie in the cockpit of your Camel, - yes I knew you would remember the place”.

“OK Jones are these two ready to go”, “aye Sir they’re all fuelled and loaded with ammo, but surely your not going up today Sir”. “None of your damn business Jones” snapped Kane, “OK Cremetti you take the Grey one and I’ll take mine, it’ll be good to fly again after too long behind that desk”. So saying Kane clambered up into the familiar seat of the Camel, tucked his walking stick out of the way and shouted to the mechanics to swing away.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	001 P1400464 800.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	183.2 KB 
ID:	256773
    Text relating to a picture is below it.

Lt John Kane C Flight Commander, shot down in flames on his first mission has made a good recovery he still needs the walking stick to get around but sat down in the cockpit everything functions perfectly, at least that’s what he told the M.O.
    2nd Lt Max Cremetti has been up in a couple of fights but neither of them has a kill and so are relative novices, but they were the nearest planes available and so had drawn the short straw.

On the other side of the lines a similar flap was going on, the pilots there were even more ambivalent about what they saw as a sell out by their Brass, which some believed showed no honour or respect for the lives of the fallen. Of course no matter what they thought, it was going to happen and even if the bomber crew were successful and made it back they would be shot as traitors, not a glorious end, and the treaty would still be signed, just by different Brass, it would achieve nothing, but some times that’s all you can achieve.

Name:	002 P1400459 800.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	129.7 KB 
ID:	256774
    Obltn Fritz Zorn, like his opposite number John Kane was just back with the Flight having recovered from a bad wound after tangling with Kane’s lot a few weeks earlier. They had also suffered heavy losses the last time out and the only other pilot fit for service was Gunther Ehmann.
    Gunther had been sat contemplating his freshly finished Fokker DVII, when Zorn shouted for him. It was a bitter sweet moment, the plane looked beautiful, he loved the bright colours it was painted and the little raven chicks along the side were his idea, although in later years someone called Gunther Buren would be credited with this artistry, sometimes life is just not fair.

Zorn thought chicks on the side of a plane was verging on sacrilegious and that the skull on his plane would put the fear of a Prussian Officer and Gentleman into to the enemy.
    Athough who was the enemy now.

As the only two pilots available they had been chasing after a blue Hanover for quite a while, the Hanover had climbed to altitude before setting off on its mission of destruction, or maybe self destruction and the Fokker’s were playing catch up, trying to gain altitude at the same time as distance.

Name:	003 P1400460 800.jpg 
Size:	160.2 KB 
ID:	256775
    The names of the Pilot and Observer of the Hanover were never revealed.

I’ve taken a number of liberties with the scenario and am using altitude for the first time which I will cover at the end. My mat is 50” long so I had fun calculating where the planes would meet.

Name:	004 P1400469 800.jpg 
Size:	122.3 KB 
ID:	256776
    At this point I re-arranged the planes to fit them onto the one mat.

The Fokker DVII has gained a level in altitude to 5 and the Hanover here dives a level from 6 to 5, the target is to the right of the Camels and knowing how tricky it can be to bomb from altitude I wanted to get lower, I was driving the Hanover. The dive might have been a mistake because now we were in range and all hell let loose.

Name:	005 P1400468 800.jpg 
Size:	205.3 KB 
ID:	256777
    Zorn and Gunther opened fire at long range and caused some visible damage to the Hanover, but no one will know how the Observer of the Hanover felt when a lucky shot ruptured the fuel tank of Obltn Zorn’s newly painted plane and it erupted in a ball of flame.

Name:	006 P1400470 800.jpg 
Size:	193.2 KB 
ID:	256778
    And he went straight down, shedding bits of fabric and wood on the way.

Name:	007 P1400471 800.jpg 
Size:	212.4 KB 
ID:	256779
    The AA guns defending the Chateau and the dignitaries signing the treaty opened fire, ignoring the Camels in the way. The flame markers represent the shell bursts in 2 moves time and at altitude 4, which is what the Camels were flying at. Cremetti and Kane were appalled that their own guns were firing with out any regard for their safety, the only concern seemed to be the safety of the Generals.

Name:	008 P1400473 800.jpg 
Size:	202.7 KB 
ID:	256780
    The AI did a stall straight for all the fighters and my sideslip put the Hanover equidistant from everyone. Out of range by about 1cm, you sort of get the way this is going.

Name:	009 P1400476 800.jpg 
Size:	231.5 KB 
ID:	256781
    The Hanover continued to dive this turn as well and now is down at altitude 4, the Camels just miss the AA fire but I left the cards to show their moves, both side slipped, one to the right and one to the left and neatly avoided the Hanover, Gunther’s Fokker also dived and caught up with the blue plane and shots were exchanged again. The Camels were just out of angle and didn’t fire.

Name:	010 P1400479 800.jpg 
Size:	236.2 KB 
ID:	256782
    The Hanover Observer is deadly, a long range shot causing very little damage to Gunther’s plane but sets it on fire with one of the tracer bullets, Gunther again causes damage but one of his guns jams.

Name:	011 P1400480 800.jpg 
Size:	165.3 KB 
ID:	256783
    Kane and Cremetti realize the bright red German scout is not aiding the Bomber and so they don’t fire on it, Gunther has enough troubles without adding to them.

The Hanover is through the British fighter screen.

Name:	012 P1400482 800.jpg 
Size:	175.2 KB 
ID:	256784
    This is what he sees, the Brass have decided a train is an uncomfortable place, drafty and the seats aren’t very comfortable so they have commandeered a chateau, there are 2 AA guns defending this and they are frantically trying to reload the guns. Everyone has stopped drinking the Champagne and is contemplating the blue plane getting larger and larger.

Name:	013 P1400483 800.jpg 
Size:	177.5 KB 
ID:	256785
    Gunther is side slipping all over the place, trying to put out the fire but he’s also trying to un jam his gun, and get close enough for another shot. Extreme multitasking.
    Kane and Cremetti are preparing to Immelmann and get into the chase but they are too far away now.

Name:	014 P1400484 800.jpg 
Size:	170.7 KB 
ID:	256786
    The Hanover does a stall to take a bit of speed off and set the target up perfectly (I hope). Gunther catches up a bit more distance.

Name:	015 P1400488 800.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	154.6 KB 
ID:	256787
    He can not clear the jam in time, it’s desperate, he fires his one functional gun. The Observer fires back.

Name:	016 P1400490 800.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	221.6 KB 
ID:	256788
    Gunther can see that he’s shot up the rudder but the Hanover is on line coming in to the target, all it has to do is fly straight and stay in the air and put the eggs on target.
    The AA gunners are panicking, they know they will not fire before it’s too late.

Name:	017 P1400494 800.jpg 
Size:	174.0 KB 
ID:	256789
    The Hanover accelerates, Bomb gone, OK that’s it everything else doesn’t matter, they are either going to hit or not, I’m down to altitude 3 so the bombs are in the air for 2 moves, I think I’ve blown it with that last stall move, they’re not going to make it.
    Gunter opens fire and the Hanover bursts into flames, but the Observers return fire damaging Gunthers engine, he’s in bad shape, but as plucky as a game Rooster.

Name:	018 P1400497 800.jpg 
Size:	227.3 KB 
ID:	256790
    The bombs land smack on target, there is no whooping or celebration in the Blue Bomber, they are in dire straights, they’ve probably shot down 2 comrades in arms, men they have fought alongside, shed blood with, men who know what fear is and continue to fight against it, the men below, the men who serve the guns.

They shed not a tear for the Generals, in their gold lace uniforms and their strictures about aggressive patrols over enemy territory, up and over the top of the trenches into the face of a hail of machine gun bullets, the men who maintain this doctrine regardless of the cost in men’s lives. We will wear them down! Are they mad or just insane?

Name:	019 P1400498 800.jpg 
Size:	143.1 KB 
ID:	256791
    The Hanover has continued to dive

Name:	020 P1400500 800.jpg 
Size:	178.7 KB 
ID:	256792
    The Chateau where the treaty was being signed is a ball of smoke, whoever the guy’s in the Hanover are they’re a crack team.

The AA guns had fired, but I forgot to put the markers on the table, at that point I didn’t know where the bomber would go and so turned it over to the AI.
    Home to an ignominious firing squad, to the enemy and probably an ignominious firing squad, Switzerland, may be a bit far for the fuel load.

Name:	021 P1400503 800.jpg 
Size:	194.7 KB 
ID:	256793
    It turned to starboard and flew right over the AA shell and was blown to pieces.

Name:	022 P1400505 800.jpg 
Size:	197.3 KB 
ID:	256794
    There were no survivors from the Blue Hanover, although no one went missing that day.

Name:	023 P1400506 800.jpg 
Size:	175.0 KB 
ID:	256795
    Kane and Cremetti coming back to the action as fast as they could. The good news was that Gunther’s valiant efforts to put out the fire were successful and he made it back to the field in one piece.

Name:	024 P1400507 800.jpg 
Size:	177.3 KB 
ID:	256796
    SD by AA fire - No crew survived, in fact no crew were killed, no one flew that day, what Blue Hanover.

Name:	025 P1400508 800.jpg 
Size:	170.8 KB 
ID:	256797
    Obltn Fritz Zorn = SD(EXP), ET
    C & W - Rolled 8 -3(Boom) = 5 Injured Skip 1D3 Scenarios = skip 2 scenarios
    E & E – Rolled 4 -1(Boom) -1WIC -1BEL = 1Captured, but returned with honour? Nothing happened here.

Name:	026 P1400511 800.jpg 
Size:	167.5 KB 
ID:	256798
    Ltn Gunther Ehmann = FRTB

Name:	027 P1400510 800.jpg 
Size:	179.0 KB 
ID:	256799
    Lt John Kane = RTB

2nd LT Max Cremetti = RTB

Name:	028 P1400512 800.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	150.0 KB 
ID:	256800
    The Generals.

Apologies and explanations, first to Rob for changing his scenario – this is maybe my 15th game and none have been against anyone who knows the rules, most have been solo or against Mrs V.
    The last few games in the campaign have involved more and more planes and so I’ve had my hands full controlling them and so not used some of the more complex rules like altitude, so this seemed like an ideal opportunity to do so.

Not having a bomber other than 2 Seaters I thought it was going to be a bit of an uphill struggle with 1 two seater versus 4 or more scouts. So I decided to let the 2 seater have an altitude advantage that would slow down the pursuit and give them a better chance of getting closer to the target.
    I may have over done this but I think if Zorn hadn’t been so unlucky to get blown up in the first exchange of gun fire it would have gone differently, the Hanover suffered 12 points of damage before the AA shell finished it.

There is some inference in my report that the two British Pilots may have had some sympathy for the Officers in the Blue Hanover, that is entirely me, these two Officers actually fought in the Great War, the one to end all wars and as far as I’m aware served with distinction in the RFC and RAF as did all my named British Pilots, they are men we should be proud of for doing what they felt was right and being prepared to make a tremendous sacrifice for that belief. Of course we should not forget that the German flyers felt exactly the same way.

Thanks to Rob for this scenario, a real political thought provoker as well as a damn good game, but especial thanks to Dave for all the hard work he puts into this and because he let me join in late in the campaign and by the way cost me a lot of money buying new planes.

I also feel I’ve met, metaphorically speaking, some very nice WOW enthusiasts and thanks for the welcoming attitude of you all.

Thanks a lot and Cheers.
    Last edited by Vagabond; 10-31-2018 at 14:22. Reason: Prefix Added

Thumbs up

Very nice "spin" on the scenario John!
    Using what you had & adjusting accordingly.
    Great effort in the story as well & a fitting end for the Hanover Crew.

Rep Inbound.

Mate, like you I am looking forward to re-fighting the early part of the War as I do enjoy those early years aircraft.
    Have you checked out the AAR's from the Early Doors campaign?

No apologies necessary John, you played the game with what you had & it looked pretty damn good to me. The only obvious error I can see is you can't spell Hannover !
    I'm very glad you've enjoyed the bitter end of the Bitter End and I think I speak for all the pilots when I say it has been a privilege to fly with you, you took to this like a duck to water & have produced outstanding AAR's. I look forward to seeing some more in the new year.

Uncle say:

Well done chaps, that was a bit of a scramble, the gunners got the job done so at least Fritz can't claim the glory... speaking of Fritz we have a visitor in the Mess, after we've dined him out somebody will have to run him home in a two seater
    Last edited by flash; 10-21-2018 at 10:20.

"He is wise who watches"

Quote Originally Posted by gully_raker View Post

Mate, like you I am looking forward to re-fighting the early part of the War as I do enjoy those early years aircraft.
    Have you checked out the AAR's from the Early Doors campaign?
    Hi Barry yep I've started reading them, that's where I got the idea for the firing sticks from, Far East used them. I did mention it in the game report but a quick scan this morning and I realize I got carried away last night with verbal diarrhoea in summing up, I'll go through with the red pencil later.

Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post
    Held for Uncle - he's at SELWG today !
    Lucky man

A great version of this scenario, John.
    I saw it posted and went back for another cup of java because I knew it would be a good read.
    You did not disappoint.

Your finished Fokkers look great in battle, as do your Camels.
    I must do something with my duplicates so I can use them without getting confused.

I was going to bring up that I like your "firing sticks" as well and that I had seen similar ones before.
    that's where I got the idea for the firing sticks from, Far East used them
    Something else on my To Do list. They are especially effective when using altitude.
    I had also thought of making 'thin cardboard ones' from the leftover bits from punched out game components that I have kept (kinda like Dave uses).

All in all a fitting end to your shortened campaign.
    Pity you came in so late in the game, but I know you will make up for that in the next one.
    I for one am certainly glad you joined us.

REP delivered.

Now to get off my butt and get mine posted ....

Uncle has read your report now John !

"He is wise who watches"

Hey John. A happy ending for a change. I guess the poor rebels would not agree, but hey ho, hitting the brass like that Sorry, REP gun jammed as I've just fired it in your direction for your wonderful Fokker DVII paint jobes - sorry they both burned in what I assume was one of their first outings Thanks for sharing - great story

Quote Originally Posted by Stumptonian View Post
    A great version of this scenario, John.
    I saw it posted and went back for another cup of java because I knew it would be a good read.
    You did not disappoint.

Your finished Fokkers look great in battle, as do your Camels.
    I must do something with my duplicates so I can use them without getting confused.

I was going to bring up that I like your "firing sticks" as well and that I had seen similar ones before.

Something else on my To Do list. They are especially effective when using altitude.
    I had also thought of making 'thin cardboard ones' from the leftover bits from punched out game components that I have kept (kinda like Dave uses).

All in all a fitting end to your shortened campaign.
    Pity you came in so late in the game, but I know you will make up for that in the next one.
    I for one am certainly glad you joined us.

REP delivered.

Now to get off my butt and get mine posted ....
    Hey Pete, I'm just about to go to bed and read your report, which I'm looking forward to.

The firing sticks are kebab sticks, they tend to have a flat on two sides of the stick so don't roll around too much and of course are cheap and durable, took about 10 min to do. As far as I could tell Far East used something around the red end to create texture to dry brush yellow over the red. I thought this might be cotton wool but it didn't work for me and in the end I just dabbed yellow on with an old brush. Not as effective, but what's the use in looking at other peoples ideas if you don't steal the good ones.

I've just received Number and letter decals from the US so I shall try and finish off the Camels, I just did a quick bit of colour to identify them as all I could get was the dual packs. I guess that's the problem coming late to the party, but at least I got here.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeemagnus View Post
    Hey John. A happy ending for a change. I guess the poor rebels would not agree, but hey ho, hitting the brass like that Sorry, REP gun jammed as I've just fired it in your direction for your wonderful Fokker DVII paint jobes - sorry they both burned in what I assume was one of their first outings Thanks for sharing - great story
    Thanks Mike, I honestly think this was the perfect ending, I had wondered what the Rebels would do if they missed with the bombs and had decided on a heavily loaded dice roll they would fly into the Brass as a suicide attempt, the other thought was what will they do if they succeed, the firing squad didn't seem the right ending so I am glad they died in the air.

Regarding the new paints, I know one or two people have said - you paint a new plane and it goes down in flames. My first game in the campaign and my new Valom Rumpler went down in flames. This is the first time both these planes have been on the table in a finished condition and they both catch fire. Is this spooky or what?

Quote Originally Posted by Vagabond View Post

Regarding the new paints, I know one or two people have said - you paint a new plane and it goes down in flames. My first game in the campaign and my new Valom Rumpler went down in flames. This is the first time both these planes have been on the table in a finished condition and they both catch fire. Is this spooky or what?
    I was going to bring that up as well - all too often my 'fresh-from-shrinkwrap' aircraft fall to the BOOM!

Setarius's Avatar May you forever fly in blue skies
    Users Country Flag

Name
    Dale
    Sorties Flown

John,
    Once again you do an Excellent job on your AAR.
    As I have yet to fly this mission I'm not sure whether I hope the bomber crew goes out in a blaze of glory, or ignominity, like yours did or safely escape and go into hiding.
    As you I have also thought about using a two seater. That would give me three possible stories, hmmmm.

Congratulations on another fine tale.

Quote Originally Posted by Setarius View Post
    John,
    Once again you do an Excellent job on your AAR.
    As I have yet to fly this mission I'm not sure whether I hope the bomber crew goes out in a blaze of glory, or ignominity, like yours did or safely escape and go into hiding.
    As you I have also thought about using a two seater. That would give me three possible stories, hmmmm.

Congratulations on another fine tale.
    Cheers Dale and thanks for the encouragement.

I didn't think they had a chance and it was only when in the first round of gunfire thet took down Zorn that it started to look hopeful. They were still very lucky even after that, at least until the AA fire.

Do you know, I had not considered the possibility that they could land and escape, that's another ending that would work well.
    Cheers

Well, looks like the war may continue for you!

Great finale John. Love your mat and J18 planes. A pleasure to have you fly with us to the Bitter End. Looking forward to more of your tales from the early years ahead.

Just read this John. No apologies needed. I always leave my games open ended so that people can fit in their ownn twists to fit in with what they have in hardwear or to fit character's development and long term story lines.
    I can see we are going to have to watch out for your bombers in future. Pin point bombing is usually quite hard, and my target train was produced to give a better strike chance by being larger than the normal target cards. Well you seemed to do very well without it.
    Hope to see you over the trenches again in the New Year, and thanks for the kind words about my scenario.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Thanks Peter that was damned nice of you and I'm very much looking forward to flying in the early wars with you too.

Rob with my very limited attempts at bombing I quickly realized I can only do one of the two things necessary, I need to be lined up well in advance so I only have to concentrate on dropping the bombs at the right time. If I get off line there is no way I seem to be able to get back on target and drop the bombs at the right time. Must get more practice.

Well done John. REP gun fired. A cracking read and look forward to your exploits in the DYM campaign about to start. One question, where did you get your game mat, it's fantastic.

Neil
    See you on the Dark Side......

Quote Originally Posted by Skafloc View Post
    Well done John. REP gun fired. A cracking read and look forward to your exploits in the DYM campaign about to start. One question, where did you get your game mat, it's fantastic.

Neil
    Cheers Neil. The mat is home made. Mrs V and I spent a day with some green upholstery cloth, felt tip pens and acrylic paints.
    The cloth has a bit of a nap on it, so I marked in the roads, rivers and fields in various coloured pens and then filled in with the £2.00 pots of craft paint you get from Hobbycraft. I found a dry brush technique tended to work well, using less paint and getting some texture in to it. The wooded areas are a bit poor and could do with more work but will do for now.
    In terms of the amount of paint used it probably cost a fiver, I already had the cloth so I was able to spend the £65 saving from not buying two mats on extra planes, mind you, that didn't go far.

Quote Originally Posted by Vagabond View Post
    I need to be lined up well in advance so I only have to concentrate on dropping the bombs at the right time. If I get off line there is no way I seem to be able to get back on target and drop the bombs at the right time. Must get more practice.
    Nothing wrong with that technique John. I always try to get lined up well in advance and just dive a peg on the run in to put any fighters on the back foot if they attack my approach line of flight. at least that way you only take half hits for three cards.

Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Similar Missions

1. Replies: 10
    Last Post: 12-08-2018, 14:38
  2. AAR OTTBE Mission 26 The War to end all wars! 11th Nov 1918 by Mike
    By mikeemagnus in forum Over the Trenches
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 12-05-2018, 12:25
  3. BRF OTTBE Mission 26: The War To End All Wars! 11th November 1918 by F.O.Kyte
    By Flying Officer Kyte in forum Over the Trenches
    Replies: 40
    Last Post: 11-04-2018, 20:30
  4. Replies: 15
    Last Post: 11-02-2018, 14:13
  5. AAR OTTBE Mission 25 - Last Gasps - 4th November 1918 by {Vagabond}
    By Vagabond in forum Over the Trenches
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 10-14-2018, 03:49