Ares Games

Thread: OTTBE Mission 22, 23 September 1918, Der Kaiser muss es wissen! (Carl Brisgamer)

Default OTTBE Mission 22, 23 September 1918, Der Kaiser muss es wissen! (Carl Brisgamer)

PROLOGUE

HQ, Army Group A
    Mons, Occupied Belgium
    22 September 1918
    1000hrs

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2018-10-19 at 10.45.44 PM.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	174.6 KB 
ID:	256681

"Foch attacks all along the front, except here," stated Generalfeldmarschall Prinz Rupprecht, commander of the Heeresgruppe Kronprinz Rupprecht von Bayern, stabbing a finger at the large map of Flanders covering the table. "The English rapidly followed up our withdrawal to the Siegfriedstellung, launched their limited attack at Oultersteene on 18 August, and now for five weeks ..... nothing."

Name:	800px-Deutsche_Stellungen_1918.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	111.2 KB 
ID:	256682

"It is highly likely they are marshalling their forces for a renewed offensive, the Belgian Army in the north and the English Second Army around Ypres," offered the Army Group Chief of Staff General Hermann von Kuhl. "They are just waiting for the right moment."

"Given we have just five divisions left in Flanders anytime could be the right time," responded Rupprecht. "If we have any chance of holding the line, we need to know where they are concentrating their forces."

"Aerial reconnaissance would give us the answers we need," replied von Kuhl, "but the shortage of fuel combined with the large numbers of enemy scouts patrolling the lines are restricting our operations. Even the high altitude Rumplers are being shot down."

"Do you think my Royal Cousin will accept these excuses with good grace?" questioned Rupprecht derisively, looking about the room at the gathered officers. "If we are to have a chance we must discern our enemy's intentions."

"Select our best Staffel to perform the mission tomorrow, photo reconnaissance along the line from Ypres to Dixmuide," the Crown Prince of the House of Wittelsbach gave his order, "Der Kaiser muss es wissen!"
    Last edited by Carl_Brisgamer; 10-20-2018 at 05:16.

Default OTTBE Mission 22, 23 September 1918, Der Kaiser muss es wissen! (Carl Brisgamer)

Jabbeke Airfield, Flandern
    23 September 1918
    1730hrs

Name:	SSWDFritzBeckhardt.jpg 
Size:	134.5 KB 
ID:	256687

The stubby biplane rolled to a halt as the pilot cut the fuel to the rapidly spinning Siemens-Halske engine. First raising his goggles over his oil-streaked face, Oberleutnant Werner Bastian unbuckled his harness and pulled himself up out of his seat. A ladder was brought to the aircraft and Bastian climbed down to the grass field. Ground crew assisted him in removing the bulky flight suit. Having heard the unmistakeable sound of Bastian's rotary engined Siemens Schuckert D.III, Leutnant Hermann Meyer was quick to reach his Staffelführer, who was now walking towards the duty hut.

"Good to see you back in one piece Werner," stated Meyer. Looking up at the cloudy sky he added, "The others are not far behind?"

"They will not be coming back," a grim faced Bastian replied as he removed his helmet and walked past the young pilot.

Meyer stood transfixed for a moment, lost for words.

"Find Knapp and tell him to bring his typewriter," ordered Bastian, "and while you are at it, find me a bottle of Schnapps!"

Name:	IMG_6007.jpg 
Size:	254.7 KB 
ID:	256686

"Leutnants Nagel, Maass and I were approaching the lines at Ypres, flying at low altitude, about 1200 metres, AS ORDERED," started Obltn. Bastian. Oberbootsmann Heinz Knapp was smashing on his typewriter, the clack-clack of the keys following up each sentence. "Due to the poor weather in the morning we were not able to get up until the mid afternoon."

Name:	IMG_6005.jpg 
Size:	236.1 KB 
ID:	256685

"Even before our Kette got into position to start the photographic work I saw two enemy aircraft approaching from the west at about the same height, under the heavy overcast. I started climbing to cover the others."

Name:	IMG_6009.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	226.9 KB 
ID:	256684

"The two Tommies in their SE.5's closed quickly, attacking the Hannover flown by Leutnant Maas from long range," continued Bastian. "Heinrich returned fire, but his kite was well stitched up in the exchange."

Name:	IMG_6010.jpg 
Size:	227.0 KB 
ID:	256683

"It was my turn next. I fired a burst a the lead SE who returned the attention. He scored some hits, and shot up a control line somewhere. The Rumpler observer Flugmeister Krüger also put a burst into that machine as it passed him. The second SE seemed to collide with the Hannover, but it must have just been a near miss because I did not see any damage to either machine."

Name:	IMG_6011.jpg 
Size:	236.4 KB 
ID:	256692

"I narrowly missed the second SE myself, but at least I had their attention."

Name:	IMG_6012.jpg 
Size:	224.3 KB 
ID:	256693

"I banked the Siemens around to the right starting a Kurvenkampf with one of the SE's, while the other reversed with Immelmann and came straight on."

Name:	IMG_6014.jpg 
Size:	270.5 KB 
ID:	256689

The SE was going flat out and I managed to come around and avoid a head on pass, while the other broke out of the circle."

Name:	IMG_6013.jpg 
Size:	158.5 KB 
ID:	256690

"As I was watching the SE.5a go by me I also saw two more enemy approaching from the west at the same height."

Name:	IMG_6015.jpg 
Size:	257.1 KB 
ID:	256688

"As the two SE's were concentrating on me the newcomers - they looked like Camels - made for Nagel and Maas who had started their photographic work."

Name:	IMG_6017.jpg 
Size:	224.8 KB 
ID:	256698

"I broke away from the two SE's, hoping to lure them after me one at a time ....."

Name:	IMG_6018.jpg 
Size:	249.0 KB 
ID:	256696

"..... but that left the two-seaters to deal with the Sopwiths on their own," said Bastian before draining his Schnapps and pouring another.

Name:	IMG_6019.jpg 
Size:	231.6 KB 
ID:	256695

"The Tommies concentrated on the Hannover, with Maas and Henzel returning fire."

Name:	IMG_6020.jpg 
Size:	228.8 KB 
ID:	256699

"I turned back to find myself head to head with one of the SE.5's, while the other was also reversing course crossing my line of flight from right to left."

Name:	IMG_6021.jpg 
Size:	213.6 KB 
ID:	256704

"The green SE.5 fired at me but the with the high approach speed missed completely."

Name:	IMG_6022.jpg 
Size:	230.5 KB 
ID:	256703

"Henzel in the observer's cockpit of the Hannover engaged one of the Sopwiths as it passed him ...."

Name:	IMG_6023.jpg 
Size:	254.9 KB 
ID:	256702

..... then I got a long range burst in on an SE.5 painted in camouflage."

Name:	IMG_6025.jpg 
Size:	220.3 KB 
ID:	256701

"The Tommy pilot turned into my attack but I got him with a high deflection burst."

Name:	IMG_6026.jpg 
Size:	212.6 KB 
ID:	256700

"The SE fell shedding bits and pieces, no doubt in my mind about that one going down near Ypres."

Name:	IMG_6027.jpg 
Size:	245.5 KB 
ID:	256709

"It was about then one of the Sopwiths passed close to my starboard wing. I had a close look at the machine and can definitely say it was not a Camel, it had two sets of struts on either wing."

"A modified Camel perhaps?" remarked Meyer.

"Possibly, but definitely a Sopwith type," confirmed Bastian.

Name:	IMG_6030.jpg 
Size:	264.9 KB 
ID:	256707

"As I turned back to the other SE the two Sopwiths set off after Nagel and Maas, who had been left alone to traverse the front so far."

Name:	IMG_6032.jpg 
Size:	238.8 KB 
ID:	256706

"Having his wingman shot down seemed to have discouraged the other SE pilot who pulled away from me ....."

Name:	IMG_6034.jpg 
Size:	258.9 KB 
ID:	256705

"..... while the Hannover and Rumpler continued their work unmolested."

Name:	IMG_6035.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	239.7 KB 
ID:	256714

"I entered into another Kurvenkampf with the second SE ....."

Name:	IMG_6037.jpg 
Size:	231.0 KB 
ID:	256712

"..... while Nagel and Maas were coming back on their second photography run ....."

Name:	IMG_6039.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	229.9 KB 
ID:	256710

"..... where they were engaged by the Sopwiths."

Name:	IMG_6038.jpg 
Size:	246.7 KB 
ID:	256711

"I was getting tired of trying to get on the tail of the SE so I throttled back to drop my speed ....."

Name:	IMG_6041.jpg 
Size:	250.2 KB 
ID:	256715

"..... to try and turn inside the Tommy."

Name:	IMG_6040.jpg 
Size:	226.8 KB 
ID:	256720

"I saw the Sopwiths both break off their attacks on the Hannover ....."

Name:	IMG_6042.jpg 
Size:	213.9 KB 
ID:	256719

"..... while I was still chasing down the SE.5a."

Name:	IMG_6045.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	248.1 KB 
ID:	256717

"The Tommy was obviously as sick of running as I was chasing and performed an Immelmann. We both fired but were closing so quickly neither of us scored any hits."

Name:	IMG_6044.jpg 
Size:	243.7 KB 
ID:	256718

"As the two-seaters were completing their final pass one of the Sopwiths headed for home, while the other came back around for another attack."

Name:	IMG_6049.jpg 
Size:	233.6 KB 
ID:	256728

Finishing his second Schnapps, Bastian continued his report. "I turned away from the SE.5a ....."

Name:	IMG_6051.jpg 
Size:	275.2 KB 
ID:	256727

".... then came about to find the SE pilot had broken away ....."

Name:	IMG_6055.jpg 
Size:	228.6 KB 
ID:	256731

"..... and the last Sopwith was closing on the two-seaters."

Name:	IMG_6056.jpg 
Size:	223.1 KB 
ID:	256730

"I was chasing down the SE when the Tommy again reversed course."

Name:	IMG_6057.jpg 
Size:	175.7 KB 
ID:	256729

"Looking north I could just see the Sopwith diving on Nagel's Rumpler." Bastian paused, pouring his third drink. "I knew I had to finish the SE off first, I just had to trust Nagel and Maas could look after themselves."

Name:	IMG_6058.jpg 
Size:	247.9 KB 
ID:	256736

"I made another head to head pass against the SE but still could not score a hit, although the Tommy managed to put a few holes in my kite."

Name:	IMG_6059.jpg 
Size:	231.1 KB 
ID:	256735

"I banked around as the Tommy flashed past me ....."

Name:	IMG_6061.jpg 
Size:	210.1 KB 
ID:	256734

"..... while the Sopwith attacked the two-seaters."

Name:	IMG_6062.jpg 
Size:	221.2 KB 
ID:	256733

"It was then I saw there Hannover burst into flame," said Bastian, putting his head in his hands.

Name:	IMG_6063.jpg 
ID:	256732

"Henzel was still firing at the Tommy ....."

Name:	IMG_6064.jpg 
Size:	204.4 KB 
ID:	256740

"..... even as the flames claimed the machine." Bastian raised his head, wiping away the tears mixed with the oil streaking his cheeks.

Name:	IMG_6065.jpg 
Size:	223.0 KB 
ID:	256739

"The Hannover went down just over our side of the front."

Name:	IMG_6066.jpg 
Size:	234.7 KB 
ID:	256745

"Nagel had opened the throttle and was heading east with the Sopwith closing on his tail."

Name:	IMG_6067.jpg 
Size:	247.3 KB 
ID:	256737

"I came about after the SE, which was now also lining up Nagel's Rumpler."

Name:	IMG_6068.jpg 
Size:	229.6 KB 
ID:	256744

"The SE.5 dived on the Rumpler and opened up at long range ....."

Name:	IMG_6070.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	265.2 KB 
ID:	256743

"..... before closing for a point blank beam attack. I could see Kurt Krüger blazing away with his machine gun, but the Rumpler was badly shot up."

Name:	IMG_6071.jpg 
Size:	242.6 KB 
ID:	256742

"The Rumpler started to smoke as the SE pulled away, but now the Sopwith had closed to firing range as well."

Name:	IMG_6072.jpg 
Size:	225.6 KB 
ID:	256741

"I dived on that Tommy and opened fire at close range. It was a high deflection shot but I scored enough hits ....."

Name:	IMG_6073.jpg 
Size:	216.7 KB 
ID:	256750

"..... to knock the verdammte Engländer down."

Name:	IMG_6074.jpg 
Size:	225.8 KB 
ID:	256749

"I immediately banked towards the SE.5a that was trying to cut off Nagel and Krüger. My first burst missed ....."

Name:	IMG_6075.jpg 
Size:	238.6 KB 
ID:	256748

"..... but my second smashed into the SE's cockpit. Nagel also turned into the SE and opened fire. But that Tommy was a stubborn one and would not quit. He returned fire ....."

Name:	IMG_6076.jpg 
Size:	234.0 KB 
ID:	256747

"..... and the next moment the Rumpler is also falling in flames."

Name:	IMG_6077.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	245.8 KB 
ID:	256746

"The SE then rolled over and also spun down." Bastian stopped speaking, seemingly incapable of saying even one more word.

"At least you made them pay Werner," said Hermann Meyer to break the awkward silence.

"Too little, too late, Hermann. The Tommies just kept coming, and I could not stop them in time," said Bastian, the guilt plain on his face.

VICTORY CONDITIONS

TWO GERMAN TWO SEATERS SHOT DOWN = ENTENTE VICTORY
    Last edited by Carl_Brisgamer; 10-20-2018 at 05:09.

Default CASREP - OTTBE Mission 22, 23 Sep 1918, Der Kaiser muss es wissen! (Carl Brisgamer)

CASUALTY REPORT (AKA THE BUTCHER'S BILL)

CENTRAL POWERS

Name:	IMG_6078.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	235.7 KB 
ID:	256807

Oberleutnant Werner Bastian, Staffelführer, See Adler Jagdstaffel (Jagdflieger, black Siemens Schuckert D.III with Harkenkreuz insignia)
    RTB (6 damage) / 3 kills (camouflaged RAF SE5a, Sopwith Snipe ‘8’ and RAF SE5a ‘Z’ all over German territory).

Name:	IMG_6076.jpg 
Size:	234.0 KB 
ID:	256803

Leutnant Lothar Nagel, Staffelführer, See Adler Sonderstaffel (Flugzeugführer, Rumpler C.IV)
    SD FLM FT / 0 kills
    C&W 8 - 2 FLM = 6 Injured - Skip 1D3 Scenarios, rolled 1 skip 1 mission.

Leutnant Lothar Nagel used all his considerable flying experience to get the flaming Rumpler down to perform a passable crash landing. Pulled from the smouldering wreck by his observer Flugmeister Kurt Krüger, Nagel sustained minor burns and contusions for which he received initial treatment on the front line before returning to Jabbeke later that evening. Nagel’s wounds restricted him to administrative duties for the next fourteen days.

Flugmeister Kurt Krüger, See Adler Sonderstaffel (Beobachter, Rumpler C.IV)
    SD FLM FT / 0 kills
    C&W 11 - 2 FLM = 9 - All well when you land well!

Thanks to the skill of his pilot Ltn. Nagel, Fm. Kurt Krüger survived the crash landing of the burning two-seater without injury. Immediately the aircraft skidded to halt, Krüger slipped his harness and pulled the wounded Nagel to safety before the flames consumed their downed Rumpler. By that evening both Flugmeister Krüger and Leutnant Lothar Nagel were back at Jabbeke, with Krüger at least none the worse for wear.

Name:	IMG_6065.jpg 
Size:	223.0 KB 
ID:	256805

Leutnant Heinrich Maas, See Adler Sonderstaffel (Flugzeugführer, Hannover CL.IIIa)
    SD FLM FT / 0 kills (qualified for Eisernes Kreuz II.Klasse - Iron Cross Second Class - for five missions flown).
    C&W 7 - 2 FLM = 5 - Injured - Skip 1D3 Scenarios, rolled 6, skip 3 missions.

Leutnant Heinrich Maas sustained serious injuries when his Hannover CL.IIIa crashed in flames. He was fortunate his observer Flugmaat Franz Henzel was only slightly wounded and managed to get him out before the flames consumed the aircraft. Ltn. Maas was evacuated to Germany for treatment, spending more than a month in a Wilhelmshaven naval hospital. Heinrich Maas was still in the city when the first sailor's revolt took place just off the coast, and was only released fit for duty as the Kiel Mutiny heralded the beginning of the revolution that would, as much as the deteriorating military situation, bring an end to the Kaiserreich.

Flugmaat Franz Henzel, See Adler Sonderstaffel (Beobachter, Hannover CL.IIIa)
    SD FLM FT / 0 kills (qualified for Marine-Beobachterabzeichen - Naval Observer's Badge - for four missions flown)
    C&W 9 - 2 FLM = 7 - Injured - Skip 1D2 Scenarios, rolled 1, skip 1 mission.

Flgmt. Henzel suffered just superficial cuts and bruises in the crash of his Hannover, and was able to pull his badly wounded pilot from the fiery wreckage. Henzel also received medical treatment at a 1. Marine-Division Feldlazarett before returning to Jabbeke.

ENTENTE FORCES

Name:	IMG_6077.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	245.8 KB 
ID:	256802

Lieutenant Walter Albert Walkerdine, No.56 Squadron RAF (scout pilot, RAF SE5a ‘Z’)
    SD 2 WIA ET / 1 kill (Shot down Rumpler C.IV in flames over German territory)
    C&W rolled 8 - 1 WIA - 1 WIA - 1 SD = 5 - Injured - Skip 1D3 Scenarios, rolled 3 skip 2 missions.
    E&E rolled 7 - 1 WIC - 1 WIA - 1 WIA - 1 BEL = 3 - Captured and escaped! - Skip 1D3 Scenarios, rolled 6 skip 3.

Name:	IMG_6026.jpg 
ID:	256808

Second Lieutenant Sydney Edwards, No.56 Squadron RAF (scout pilot, camouflaged RAF SE5a)
    SD ET / 0 kills
    C&W rolled 4 - 1 SD = 3 - Injured - Skip 1D6 Scenarios, rolled 2 skip 2 missions.
    E&E rolled 5 - 1 WIC - 1 BEL = 3 - Captured and escaped! - Skip 1D3 Scenarios, rolled 2 skip 1 mission.

Wounded in the air and in the ensuing crash, Lt. Walkerdine was captured by German naval infantry. Evacuated to Bruges with his comrade 2Lt. Sydney Edwards, both officers were hospitalised. Left behind by the Germans as they withdrew, they were still in the hospital when the city was liberated by Belgian and British forces on 19 October 1918. Mostly recovered from their wounds, Walkerdine and Edwards secured transport to return to No.56 Squadron where they were able to return to operational flying duties in the first week of November 1918.

Name:	IMG_6047.jpg 
Size:	179.7 KB 
ID:	256806

Second Lieutenant Arthur Palliser, No.4 Squadron AFC (scout pilot, Sopwith Snipe ‘2’)
    RTB (5 damage) / 0 kills

2Lt. Palliser nursed his damaged Sopwith Snipe back to No.4 Squadron's base at Serny, where he completed his combat report on the deployment of the new Sopwith Snipe.

Name:	IMG_6073.jpg 
Size:	216.7 KB 
ID:	256804

Second Lieutenant Garnet Malley, No.4 Squadron AFC (scout pilot, Sopwith Snipe ‘8’)
    SD ET / 1 kill (Shot down Hannover CL.IIIa in flames over Allied territory)
    C&W rolled 8 - 1 SD = 7 - Injured - Skip 1D2 Scenarios, rolled 4 skip 2 missions.
    E&E rolled 8 - 1 WIC -1 BEL = 6 - In hiding ! Skip 1D2 Scenarios, rolled 6 skip 2 missions.

The Australian pilot was slightly wounded in the crash of his Snipe, but was able to escape the wreck. Hiding from the withdrawing Germans until dusk, Malley made his way west where early the following morning he made contact with British infantry. Following medical treatment on the front line, 2Lt. Malley was evacuated to a military hospital in Dunkirk. He was assessed as fit for operations at the end of October, and by the 1 November 1918 had returned to duty with No.4 Squadron AFC based at Serny. It was then his claim to the first Sopwith Snipe kill of the war was confirmed.
    Last edited by Carl_Brisgamer; 10-24-2018 at 03:42.

Another episodic posting guys, I must again beg your indulgence
    Last edited by Carl_Brisgamer; 10-20-2018 at 01:43.

Another stunning crop of victories for Werner Bastian, edge of the seat action. I thought the two-seaters would get away clean but the Bulldogs sacrificed themselves to bring them down before they could slip away and snatched the victory from their talons !

Onkel says:

Verdammt ! Despite Werner's best efforts this is a clear victory for the Englander's as with both machines shot down no photographs made it back to HQ and we are none the wiser as to the enemy dispositions.
    We can however celebrate Werner's three victories, our colleagues' survival and wish them speedy recovery from their injuries; the award of an Iron croass 2nd class to Ltn Heinrich Maas for his service over the trenches.
    Last edited by flash; 10-22-2018 at 01:16.

Sapiens qui vigilat... "He is wise who watches"

Very exciting so far Carl.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Your fellow Bastien is quite deadly. Great game and you are catching up fast. Well done with the story telling, makes a good read.
    Cheers

Thumbs up

Interesting in that almost all if not All the German Flyers have lost this Scenario whereas most of the Allied players have only managed a draw!
    Very exciting AAR Carl & your Scout pilot certainly made the Brits pay for the Victory.
    Rep Inbound.

Quote Originally Posted by gully_raker View Post
    Interesting in that almost all if not All the German Flyers have lost this Scenario whereas most of the Allied players have only managed a draw!
    Very exciting AAR Carl & your Scout pilot certainly made the Brits pay for the Victory.
    Rep Inbound.
    Thanks Barry. It was a pretty tough fight, even with the lucky engine damage on one of the Snipes. I haven't read through the other missions yet, but maybe the prevalence of A firing armament on the Entente two seaters made the difference?

Butcher's Bill complete, ready for Onkel's review.

Another fine finish for the See Adler, Carl, even though the mission itself was a loss.
    Your boys are certainly racking up individual victories.

Interesting in that almost all if not All the German Flyers have lost this Scenario

Right from the initial posting of this mission I knew it was going to be a tough one for we Germans players.

Carl check above - need a crew change

Tough fight that one Carl, but at least nobody was lost. Three kills for Obltn Bastian, the Staffelführer, must be something to celebrate though! Congrats to him! Great story telling as always. Thanks for sharing

Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post
    Carl check above - need a crew change
    My cut and paste error in the butcher’s bill, I did add 2Lt. Sydney Edwards from the Bulldogs list at the start, see photo 2.

Sorry about creating work for you, I could not find any Australian Bulldogs on the spreadsheet

Quote Originally Posted by Stumptonian View Post
    Another fine finish for the See Adler, Carl, even though the mission itself was a loss.
    Your boys are certainly racking up individual victories.
    My top two pilots have 40 kills between them, while the rest have less than 20. It is the Marksmanship skill that makes the difference - and the fact they usually fly the Fokker D.VII.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Carl_Brisgamer View Post
    Thanks Barry. It was a pretty tough fight, even with the lucky engine damage on one of the Snipes. I haven't read through the other missions yet, but maybe the prevalence of A firing armament on the Entente two seaters made the difference?
    No we flew the scouts against German two seaters so A firing did not affect the result. Just dice rolls.

You will see when you get around to reading the other AAR's.

My cut and paste error in the butcher’s bill, I did add 2Lt. Sydney Edwards from the Bulldogs list at the start, see photo 2.

Sorry about creating work for you, I could not find any Australian Bulldogs on the spreadsheet
    There are no Aussies on the spreadsheet, there are no specific commonwealth nationalities, they are added at whim for colour on issue. The list at the bottom of the spreadsheet is there for Onkel's convenience to issue replacement enemy pilots
    The point I'm making is you had 5 available Bulldogs (52 Sqn RAF) for this outing, you used only one but added three more for this one mission - and marked all from other sqns ! (no herding cats emoji !)

Onkel has forwarded the paperwork..
    Last edited by flash; 10-22-2018 at 01:18.

Setarius's Avatar May you forever fly in blue skies
    Users Country Flag

Name
    Dale
    Sorties Flown

Congratulations to Werner Bastion on the 3K day. I know it was bittersweet due to the loss of Intel.

Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post
    There are no Aussies on the spreadsheet, there are no specific commonwealth nationalities, they are added at whim for colour on issue.
    Apologies Dave, with the arrival of the Snipe I got excited about having an Australian Flying Corps squadron taking part, there will be no more 'ad-libbing'.

I just checked the spreadsheet and identified Walkerdine and Malley have not yet been credited with their hard fought victories.

...I just checked the spreadsheet and identified Walkerdine and Malley have not yet been credited with their hard fought victories.
    Oops, my bad, should be all straight now.

Default EPILOGUE - OTTBE Mission 22, 23 Sep 1918, Der Kaiser muss es wissen! (Carl Brisgamer)

EPILOGUE

Jabbeke Airfield, Flandern
    24 September 1918
    1000hrs

Name:	nl241-A1-crashed-1918.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	123.2 KB 
ID:	256956

Oberleutnant Werner Bastian was standing with a group of his officers and men examining the wreckage that had just been brought to the airfield on the back of an Army truck. Despite the heavy damage it was clear this aircraft that Bastian had shot down less than twenty-four hours ago was a new type, similar to the Sopwith Camel the Tommies had been flying in action since June 1917.

"Did they catch the Englishman?" asked Flugmaat Franz Henzel, who with his pilot Leutnant Heinrich Maas had themselves been shot down by this very machine just seconds before it became Obltn. Bastian's thirteenth victory. Although the NCO observer had survived the crash practically unscathed, Heinrich Maas had been badly wounded and Henzel was not taking it well. "If that Tommy is in a cage somewhere I would very much like to settle an account ," he added with menace.

"We have received word that pilot escaped," advised Ltn. Lothar Nagel. He had also been shot down yesterday, his Rumpler falling to an SE.5a. His bandaged head and left arm supported in a sling were evidence of his own wounds that would keep him on the ground for the next few weeks. "The two SE.5 pilots were wounded and captured, both have been taken to the military hospital in Bruges."

"They will have to do then," said Henzel from between gritted teeth, punching one fist into the other.

"Calm down Henzel," ordered Bastian, "these men were doing their duty, just as we were."

"The engine is a Bentley Herr Oberleutnant," reported the chief mechanic Franz Heglemeyer, dragging himself out from under the damaged machine. "much more powerful than the Clerget in the Camels, I would say at least 200hp."

"And there is a nameplate just back from the cowl, it says 'Sopwith 7F.1 Snipe'."

"Snipe?" questioned Leutnant Hermann Meyer, unfamiliar with the term.

"A type of bird Hermann," said Bastian, "that lives in marsh land and is notoriously difficult to hunt due to its camouflaged plumage."

"Well you did not seem to have any trouble knocking one down yesterday Herr Oberleutnant," remarked Ltn. Nagel's observer Flugmeister Kurt Krüger with a wry smile.

Bastian was unmoved by the NCO's attempt at humour. "I know our Fokkers are better, but we have enough trouble with the neighbours' exisiting types to have to worry about new, more powerful machines. Heglemeyer, have the castor oil drained from the engine for our Siemens machine and send the wreck on to the Armee Flugpark, no doubt the engineers there will be excited by the prospect of tearing this tangled mess apart."

"Jawohl, Herr Oberleutnant," responded the mechanic.

"Armee HQ was not pleased my Sonderstaffel did not bring back any photographs," said Ltn. Nagel to Bastian as they walked back across the field. "If not for the fact you managed to shoot down three of them including this 'Snipe', I think it likely we may have been looking for new jobs."

"Right now that would suit me just fine," Bastian snorted. "But it is all bluff and bluster. There are not enough of us as it is Lothar, that is the problem. That and there are too many on the other side. One can only do so much in the face of such odds."

Naval Hospital, Wilhelmshaven
    27 September 1918
    1400hrs

Name:	Wilhelmshaven.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	101.1 KB 
ID:	256957

Korvettenkapitän Willi Mattheus was not yet used to aura cast by the small blue medal he now wore around his neck. It had been just over a week since Kaiser Wilhelm II himself had presented Mattheus with the Orden Pour le Merite. Everywhere he went he was saluted by all officers and men, even those of senior rank. And every time he attended a barracks the guard would be turned out to parade for his inspection. The award ceremony had a sense of unreality that had stunned the Marineflieger 'Kanone', conducted with all the pre-war pomp and pageantry, even now as the situation at the front became more critical day by day. The Kaiser thanked him for his service and assured him that soon the enemy would have to come to terms with Germany. Mattheus had almost believed his Emperor, but in the days since what he had seen and heard had not filled him with confidence.

He was now in Wilhelmshaven, but the famous naval port was not as he recalled from his days at sea. Morale amongst the ratings was low and the promise of action in the near future was doing nothing to change the general disposition of the men. The spirit of the Fleet had been eroded by inaction, much as rust weakens a ship sitting too long at anchor. Some officers spoke of seamen trying to organise a 'workers union', something Mattheus could scarcely believe.

Visiting the large military hospital located at the port, Mattheus was guided through the wards where he stopped to talk with wounded and sick sailors and marines, there was one man he was particularly anxious to see. One of his officers Leutnant Heinrich Maas had been admitted a few days before after sustaining serious burns and other wounds in action over Flanders. Escorted into his room, Mattheus could just about recognise his comrade despite the bandages wrapped around his face and jaw. His hands were also heavily bandaged.

Looking up, Mattheus could see the surprise in the officer's eyes as he recognised his commander.

"Herr Kapit - err Herr Korvettenkapitän," croaked Maas as he tried to raise himself up in the bed.

"Lie still Heinrich," said Mattheus, "you should to conserve your strength. I will be needing you back at Jabbeke before this war is through."

"The doctors say I will be able to fly again," said Maas with confidence before lowering his eyes. "Willi, I am sorry I lost the new Hannover."

"I will have another one ready for you when you get back," replied Mattheus. "In the meantime, I have something else for you," continued the See Adler Gruppenkommandeur.

Reaching into his jacket Mattheus produced a small box. Opening it he withdrew a small black and silver cross hung on a back and white ribbon - the Eisernes Kreuz II.Klasse.

"For your service to the See Adler Gruppe and the Fatherland, I present you with the Iron Cross Second Class," said Mattheus placing the medal on the pillow. "Much deserved Heinrich, it is a privilege to serve with you."

Maas mouthed a thank you, unable to summon the words.

At that moment an orderly arrived with a message for the Korvettenkapitän. It was an order from HQ Marinekorps Flandern for Mattheus to report back to Jabbeke immediately for operational flying duties. He was needed at the front.

"Looks like I will beat you back to Jabbeke after all Heinrich," said Mattheus, waving the order. "Get yourself well and I will see you there."

Within minutes Mattheus was in his car, the driver winding his way through the streets to the rail station. Presenting at the Verkehrstruppen office, he again endured a small parade as the middle aged Leutnant der Reserve called out his railway troops for inspection. Within an hour Mattheus was on a train heading west, back to Flanders and his See Adler Gruppe.
    Last edited by Carl_Brisgamer; 10-24-2018 at 03:46.

Great epilogue Carl.
    I do enjoy reading your story lines. It certainly fleshes out the AARs.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte View Post
    Great epilogue Carl.
    I do enjoy reading your story lines. It certainly fleshes out the AARs.
    Rob.
    Thanks for the feedback Rob. I write these little vignettes to give a sense of atmosphere and continuity and of course to entertain the group, so I’m glad they are achieving their objectives.
    Last edited by Carl_Brisgamer; 10-24-2018 at 03:01.

Thumbs up

Very nice Epilogue to finish things off Carl!
    Last edited by gully_raker; 10-25-2018 at 16:53.

Quote Originally Posted by gully_raker View Post
    Very nice Epilogue to finish thing off Carl!
    Thanks Barry. My mission 23 is almost played out, I will try and post this weekend.

Similar Missions

1. Replies: 15
    Last Post: 11-02-2018, 14:13
  2. AAR OTTBE Mission 22--Der Kaiser muss es Wissen! - 23rd Sept 1918
    By Setarius in forum Over the Trenches
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 10-22-2018, 19:52
  3. AAR OTT BE Mission 22 23 Sept 1918-Der Kaiser muss es Wissen!--gully_raker
    By gully_raker in forum Over the Trenches
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 10-22-2018, 19:42
  4. Replies: 43