Ares Games

Thread: Major disappointment at the IWM

Default Major disappointment at the IWM

The only disappointment I experienced at the IWM was on the 5th floor, in the Ashcroft Gallery a virtual Aladdin's cave of British medals, apparently it houses with worlds biggest collection of Victoria crosses, over thirty before I lost count, so whats the disappointment? according to the gallery attendant, Ashcroft Won't allow any photographs to be taken of his collection, I pressed the attendant for a reason, he said "He doesn't want anyone to have images of his collection" It's the only stipulation placed on the IWM, If you like medals then visit the collection, however if you like taking photo's don't bother!!!

http://www.lordashcroftmedals.com/

But does he have a monthly thread starter gold Drew ...?

"He is wise who watches"

Is that a congrats, Dave? Or a dig?
    Mike
    "Flying is learning to throw yourself at the ground and miss" Douglas Adams
    "Wings of Glory won't skin your elbows and knees while practicing." OldGuy59

It's a warning to anyone into Numismatics Dave,
    Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post
    But does he have a monthly thread starter gold Drew ...?
    I wanted to take lots of pictures of famous pilots medals and share them with fellow enthusiasts, this I was unable to do hence no photo's due to the intransigence of Ashcroft, I am proud of what our Airmen have achieved, And I wanted to share the images with the rest of aerodrome members, which would have started a monthly thread!!!!
    Last edited by andron234; 10-19-2018 at 16:15.

matt56's Avatar May you forever fly in blue skies.
    Major

Users Country Flag

Name
    Matt
    Sorties Flown

Perhaps a place my son and I should visit in January - I have such fond memories of the IWM and the NAM that I would like to visit them again - last was there in '88...

All the best,
    Matt

Matt the best museum to visit is the RAF museum Hendon, You take the Northern line (Black on the tube map) to Colindale station then it's a 7 minute walk, if you would like a guide I would be happy to meet you in central London and show you around the museum (I used to worked there as a volunteer tour guide)
    Quote Originally Posted by matt56 View Post
    Perhaps a place my son and I should visit in January - I have such fond memories of the IWM and the NAM that I would like to visit them again - last was there in '88...

All the best,
    Matt

Can you not download the pictures of the medals from the online site you gave in the link?

Quote Originally Posted by OldGuy59 View Post
    Is that a congrats, Dave? Or a dig?
    Simple acknowledgement of the recent number of threads forthcoming Mike, hence the slysmile.

Quote Originally Posted by andron234 View Post
    It's a warning to anyone into Numismatics Dave, I wanted to take lots of pictures of famous pilots medals and share them with fellow enthusiasts, this I was unable to do hence no photo's due to the intransigence of Ashcroft, I am proud of what our Airmen have achieved, And I wanted to share the images with the rest of aerodrome members, which would have started a monthly thread!!!!
    Yes it's a pity, I'm sure it would have started numerous monthly threads You'd think there would be something specific about that on the collection or IWM sites though for people who are visiting the museum mostly for that collection. Still, forearmed is forewarned.

"He is wise who watches"

When I was at the IWM last year, I was very moved by this gallery. While I can understand the frustration for the lack of picture taking, I do support the man's wishes.
    I found myself thinking of it more as a shrine to heroism, than as an exhibit.
    Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

There is also the concern of damage to the artifacts. Depending on the type of flash a single flash is the equivalent of an artifact spending a day in full sunlight.
    Last edited by rhodie80; 10-20-2018 at 05:33.

Here's to them what are like us. Damn few and they're all dead.

Certainly damages the dyes in the medal ribbons, and also weakens the fabric over time.

Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Quote Originally Posted by rhodie80 View Post
    There is also the concern of damage to the artifacts. Depending on the type of flash a single flash is the equivalent of an artifact spending a day in full sunlight.
    Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte View Post
    Certainly damages the dyes in the medal ribbons, and also weakens the fabric over time.Rob.
    Ah, did not know that, well that makes a bit more sense of the situation. Plus if you're contemplating the gallant actions that occasioned these awards and the people behind them then cameras buzzing & flashing could be quite an unwelcome distraction.

"He is wise who watches"

Yesish, Unfortunately the picture are too small on the webpage, and the presentation is not the same as in the gallery
    Quote Originally Posted by Naharaht View Post
    Can you not download the pictures of the medals from the online site you gave in the link?

Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post
    Ah, did not know that, well that makes a bit more sense of the situation. Plus if you're contemplating the gallant actions that occasioned these awards and the people behind them then cameras buzzing & flashing could be quite an unwelcome distraction.
    Yes sunlight is a killer, this "Was" a ribbon of a "Naval General Service Medal 1793", I found that out when I was 10, after killing several medal ribbons attached to a cork pin board opposite a window, I keep this ribbon as a reminder.

Name:  DSC01752.JPG
Views: 115
Size:  156.9 KB

Quote Originally Posted by rhodie80 View Post

i had no idea flash photography was so bad!!!! what kind of flash is that bad?

Yes sunlight is a killer, this "Was" a ribbon of a "Naval General Service Medal 1793", I found that out when I was 10, after killing several medal ribbons attached to a cork pin board opposite a window, I keep this ribbon as a reminder.

sunlight is the enemy of collectors!!!

And what it should have looked like:
    Name:  NavalGenSvcMedal_8651408_1m.jpg
Views: 96
Size:  13.8 KB
    Mike
    "Flying is learning to throw yourself at the ground and miss" Douglas Adams
    "Wings of Glory won't skin your elbows and knees while practicing." OldGuy59

That's quite a demonstration there. I knew that sunlight, and intense flash photography degrades certain materials, but I didn't know how bad it could get.

Similar Missions

1. New US-Major
    By Marechallannes in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 44
    Last Post: 05-24-2013, 15:53
  2. Disappointment from Shapeways!!!
    By Mike W in forum Shapeways Models
    Replies: 37
    Last Post: 10-28-2011, 09:16
  3. Flight of the Giants Disappointment
    By sparty in forum WGF: General Discussions
    Replies: 4