Ares Games

Thread: Beware of the Hun in the Sun, a new rule

Default Beware of the Hun in the Sun, a new rule

I was thinking of how to improve the game, when I remembered the phrase "Beware of the Hun in the Sun" One of the most famous phrases in aviation history, and a lesson which is as valid for today’s military pilots as it was in the First World War. A cunning fighter pilot will always try to use the sun to blind his opponent,

So I came up with a new rule, you place on the board (as a result of a dice throw, 1 North 2 West etc) a model of the Sun on a stand, and if you attack an enemy plane with the Sun at your back, your opponent get's two extra hits on his machine, the rationale behind the "bonus hits" is a pilot would have more real time to draw a bead on his target. Opinions please.

Name:  S1 (1).JPG
Views: 248
Size:  140.3 KBName:  S1 (2).JPG
Views: 259
Size:  175.2 KBName:  S1 (3).JPG
Views: 244
Size:  152.7 KBName:  S1 (4).JPG
Views: 258
Size:  170.0 KBName:  S1 (5).JPG
Views: 238
Size:  109.7 KBName:  S1 (6).jpg
Views: 220
Size:  47.9 KB

Thats a cool idea. Nice.

I think I’ll borrow it and add a rule that the “hun” must be at a higher altitude. If using the altitude rules of course.

I like that Joe, Ill use it too.

I like this! As a self-avowed Hun pilot, I shall most certainly put this to use.

Strictly speaking the sun should denote the upsun table edge, and the effect should be in play if a line from the victim to the upsun aircraft is perpendicular to that edge
    Last edited by David Manley; 10-16-2018 at 13:02.

Some ideas here that may be of help.
    https://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/sh...Out-of-the-Sun
    Cheers Dave, I think Carl summed it up pretty nicely - even allowing for "NO DICE"

Just wait until you have to vector those clouds in which we often use Mike.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

A laser pointer will probably be useful for determining whether the Sun is 'at your back'.

I may have this wrong but I recall someone(it may have been Dave Manley) pointing out that if the Sun were in say the west, it would be in the west all along the table edge and not just at a point in the sky from our aircraft's view point.
    Any two aircraft in a direct West to East line across the table would be affected. All we need is an indicator like the one used for wind direction in Sails. Decide what time of day the action is and point it accordingly. Any aircraft up Sun is invisible until it opens fire with a plus one advantage as long as it has line of sight.

Simples.

Rob.

Haven't we already covered this in another thread?
    See you on the Dark Side......

That was the thread I was referring to Neil.
    Do you know where it is. It was a couple of years ago at least if not more.
    Rob.

At least 2 threads.

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte View Post
    That was the thread I was referring to Neil.
    Do you know where it is. It was a couple of years ago at least if not more.
    Rob.
    Rob isn't that the thread Dave 'Flash" referred to about half way down this thread?

No it was not that one John, because all examples there assume the sun to be a point source similar to a torch at the edge of the table rather than a source 93 million miles away, which is why the line of light is parallel on any part of the table and not diverging from a point source at all. this was explained very clearly in the thread which I was talking about.
    Rob.

Quote Originally Posted by David Manley View Post
    At least 2 threads.
    Thanks Dave. That backs up my memory then. i hope the explanation I just gave was reasonable.
    Rob.

Yes, I remember the "whole table edge" thread................

Unfortunately, I can't seem to find it!
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

Nor I Tim.
    Rob.

Question

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte View Post
    Nor I Tim.
    Rob.
    It might have got lost in the Site "Crash" Rob.

Quote Originally Posted by gully_raker View Post
    It might have got lost in the Site "Crash" Rob.
    Didn't that happen before I joined in Sept. 2013?
    My memory is not what it was...............
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

Nor mine Tim.
    We have had several hiccups over the years, but only two big hits as I recall.
    Rob.

Quote Originally Posted by Skafloc View Post
    Haven't we already covered this in another thread?
    Here we go chaps - I searched on 'parallel' and found it in General Discussions:
    https://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/sh...un-in-the-game

"He is wise who watches"

Driving to and from work the last few days the sun is blinding when heading East in the morning and West in the afternoon.
    I can 'see' how this would definitely be an advantage for the attacker.
    I don't think +1 is enough - I think a temporary Marksman I would be more appropriate. It's not so much the damage, but more the better chance to get a hit.

It's only a window of half an hour or less when the sun is fairly low in the sky, so would really only work for early morning and early evening scenarios in my view.

Quote Originally Posted by Stumptonian View Post
    ...I don't think +1 is enough - I think a temporary Marksman I would be more appropriate. It's not so much the damage, but more the better chance to get a hit....
    Think you mean Sniper there Pete !
    When this ace fires at an enemy airplane he tends to hit a bull's-eye. When the ace fires the player may select one of the damage cards that his opponent would have to draw.
    If diving, as is suggested, you get the +1 anyway if using that rule - You could also consider using this skill as a temporary ability.
    Sharp Eye:
    When this skill is used the ace can hit a plane at long range as if it were at short range giving it two cards of damage instead of one.
    This would have to take into account altitude but two cards of damage with a +1 would be a decent advantage especially if combined with a gunner not being able to respond to the first shot.

"He is wise who watches"

That time of day is ideal for most patrols Pete.
    it would also give the Germans more advantage in the morning and Allies more in the evening when setting out on patrol. At other times of the day it should only give an advantage if you are a level above the plane you are attacking because of its altitude above the horizon.
    Rob.

Similar Missions

1. Beware the five-year-old!
    By Wolfbiter in forum WGF: Mission Discussions
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 11-28-2017, 09:35
  2. AAR OTT ED Mission 15 - Beware the Hun in the Sun
    By johnbiggles in forum Over the Trenches
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 03-14-2016, 13:16
  3. AAR OTT ED Mission 15 - Beware the Hun in the Sun
    By Stumptonian in forum Over the Trenches
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 02-22-2016, 02:03
  4. Does "Overlapping Airplanes" rule cancels" Line of Sight" rule?
    By Marechallannes in forum WGS: Rules Help
    Replies: 31
    Last Post: 05-26-2014, 16:01
  5. General Gothas Beware !
    By Vadasz in forum Shapeways Models
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 05-11-2012, 23:02