Ares Games

Thread: tips to deal with minis too heavy for gimbals?

Default tips to deal with minis too heavy for gimbals?

HI all, just wondering if anyone has any ways to get heavy models onto gimbal mounts? I've got the small balls from Aerodrome Accessories that I bought about 6 years ago. They work for slight angles, and once I've hit em with sand paper they work a bit better, but nothing close to the angles I actually want to achieve. I'm using an Ares Beaufighter.

Can you get stronger magnet power magnets or something like that?

Also, this request is specifically for gimbals, I don't want to use ball and socket joint or anything like that.

Cheers in advance!

I'm going to try some Neodymium magnets, does anyone know the strength of magnets in Keiths store? Aerodrome accessories is currently down so i can't check the specs

I find sandpaper just doesn't cut it, so I use a coarse grade Emery cloth to rub the bearing, with some force, to really scratch the surface.
    The ball goes dull, entirely losing it's shine; I always do this BEFORE gluing the ball to a plane or peg, to allow extra effort.
    When the gimbal is used, I can feel the surface 'grinding' as I move it.

For larger planes, a larger ball is the way to go, or possibly a much deeper-holed magnet (though a deeper hole accepting a small ball will limit the achievable angle of bank/climb/dive). The magnet need not be stronger; only the surface area of contact with the ball needs to be increased.

I searched on ebay, and found a seller called "magnetsmagnets" who does a wide range of sizes of both magnet and ball.
    Some of his magnets have such a deep hole that it almost reaches the base, when viewed from above.
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

Similar Missions

1. Looking for tips to building minis
    By AZTiger98 in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 09-10-2015, 02:40
  2. Gimbals
    By tikkifriend in forum Aerodrome Accessories
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 02-27-2013, 17:44
  3. Tips for Photographing Minis
    By Madboyo in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 9