Ares Games

Thread: Boardgame Battles: Sopwith Snipe vs Fokker D.VII!

Default Boardgame Battles: Sopwith Snipe vs Fokker D.VII!

Hello everyone!

Nearly 2 years ago, I released 2 gameplay videos featuring WoG WWI. At the time, I did it merely for fun and didn't think much would come of it. Surprisingly, both the videos rose to become some of the most successful ones on my channel, clocking in at 3.7k and 2.2k views as of this time!

So, after nearly 2 years, I believe it's high time to re-lauch the "Boardgame Battles" video series! This time, I plan to do more and go farther with the series than I did at first. Not only do I intend to play more "Wings of Glory," but also to make episodes featuring other super-cool boardgames that my brothers and I love to play!

So, at any rate, here is the first new episode, where the dreaded Fokker D.VII takes on a valiant Sopwith Snipe. Who will triumph? Well, you'll have to watch to find out!

PS: Immediately after the filming of the gameplay for this video, Greyson (aka Furious Flea) was hospitalized for ulcerative colitis, and, after a month's battle with it, had his colon removed a few days ago. He thankfully looks to be on the road to recovery, but your thoughts and prayers would certainly be appreciated!

So sorry to hear about Greyson.
    I trust he is making a good recovery.
    My prayers are with you.

What a stunning piece of cinematic excellence.
    I trust you will soon have your brother returned to the fold and fit to plan his revenge.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte View Post
    So sorry to hear about Greyson.
    I trust he is making a good recovery.
    My prayers are with you.

What a stunning piece of cinematic excellence.
    I trust you will soon have your brother returned to the fold and fit to plan his revenge.
    Rob.
    Thanks Rob! Hopefully we'll have him back to the front and in the cockpit soon!

Ouch!

Sorry too hear that, Cole.
    Get well soon, Greyson.

P.S. nice little skirmish. I noticed you didn't take advantage of the +1 when firing from above (?)

So sorry to hear about Grayson. Hoping all turns out for the best for him.

As I said on FB, love your stuff. My prayers for the Flea. Wishing him speedy recovery.

Congratulations on the victory: seriously hope Greyson's recovery goes well.

Here's hoping Greyson makes a full recovery in a short time - we need more videos like this!
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

Thanks for the prayers & well-wishes for Greyson's recovery! I've actually registered him here at the 'drome as "FuriousFlea" so if all goes well, you might see him posting here on occasion. It's saying something that I feel absolutely no hesitations about letting my little brother post on this forum. I've been around the internet a bit, and this still is one of the friendliest, most welcoming online communities I've ever seen.

Quote Originally Posted by Stumptonian View Post
    P.S. nice little skirmish. I noticed you didn't take advantage of the +1 when firing from above (?)
    Egads! A rule I was unaware of! So...if I am above one altitude level of my prey, I can basically treat my firing as if I was at the same level? Would that also mean if I was 2 levels above that I could hit my target at close range with 1 card?

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Helmut View Post
    Here's hoping Greyson makes a full recovery in a short time - we need more videos like this!
    Thanks! I fully intend to make more videos. Perhaps I will even conscript fresh recruits in his absence...mwhahaha!

I've been also considering running a campaign of sorts with full missions and multiple planes in the future. Might be fun and give some variety from the 1 v 1 duels I've been doing!

Quote Originally Posted by HotleadColdfeet View Post
    Thanks for the prayers & well-wishes for Greyson's recovery! I've actually registered him here at the 'drome as "FuriousFlea" so if all goes well, you might see him posting here on occasion. It's saying something that I feel absolutely no hesitations about letting my little brother post on this forum. I've been around the internet a bit, and this still is one of the friendliest, most welcoming online communities I've ever seen.

Egads! A rule I was unaware of! So...if I am above one altitude level of my prey, I can basically treat my firing as if I was at the same level? Would that also mean if I was 2 levels above that I could hit my target at close range with 1 card?

Thanks! I fully intend to make more videos. Perhaps I will even conscript fresh recruits in his absence...mwhahaha!

I've been also considering running a campaign of sorts with full missions and multiple planes in the future. Might be fun and give some variety from the 1 v 1 duels I've been doing!
    It will be good to hear from the FuriousFlea so we can hear the other side of the story.

The +1 for firing from above still is only 1 card at close range, but you get a +1 to damage added to any card other than a zero.

More videos, I say go for it, they're great!

Ah, ok. Thanks for explaining!

Thumbs up

Another great production Cole!
    I reckon you were very lucky as Greyson got more shots on you but too many Zeros.

So sorry to hear of his medical problem.
    Please give him my very best wishes for a speedy recovery & return to the Skies.

Dont forget to keep us all informed of his progress.

Quote Originally Posted by HotleadColdfeet View Post
    Ah, ok. Thanks for explaining!
    Thanks for jumping in in my absence, Peter.

All the best to the Flea, hope he's getting better by the day, I know we all wish him well and that he has a speedy recovery.

I enjoyed the video it would have been nice to hear Greysons thoughts behind his moves in the next one. I'm a novice flyer and only played against Richard Bradley's solo A.I. systems so I'm interested in the strategy of the game from other flyers perspective.
    An interesting way you used the inset screen to show the game and commentary, maybe have the Flea in the other corner next time when he's well. I watched it on a tablet and the plane movements were a bit difficult to see for the close in manouvers, I don't know how difficult it would be to zoom in on some of the shots! It might become too distracting I guess.

A great effort though and I'm looking forward to the next one.

Finally - nice paint job on the Fokker, very effective.
    Cheers

Thanks John! The Flea actually came home yesterday and seems to be in good spirits. He has another surgery on December 6th, but should hopefully be in the clear after that.

I really appreciate the feedback! I understand about the planes being rather difficult to see on a small screen. What I’m considering is adding small icons above each plane in the next video. Also, I’m going to try including a few new camera angles to help freshen things up.

Regarding the Flea on camera, your thought was my initial thought. I even filmed him explaining one of his maneuvers. However, he was a little camera-shy, and after that we jointly decided that (at least for now) I would be the one narrating. Nonetheless, never say never...he could make a surprise appearance at any time.

Thanks again for the feedback!

Good news Cole. Wish him all the best from me.
    Rob.

Very pleased to hear the Flea is home and on the mend, that's really good news.

Thanks for letting us know.
    All the best

sorry to hear about greysons medical ills. best wishes for a speedy recovery!!!! hopefully the flea will return to flying furiously post haste!!!

Here's wishing Greyson all the very best for his forthcoming operation. Just love the videos, thank you both for all the entertainment. Great job keep up the good, no, great work.

Neil
    See you on the Dark Side......

Thanks Neil!

Flea is doing well! We actually got our next video filmed yesterday! We're also working to improve the series' look, so expect this next video to visually look a bit better.

I'll pass you guys' well-wishes on to the Flea as he undergoes his next surgery this Wednesday.

Please also pass on my best wishes Cole. Looking forward to find him up and about and fighting fit very soon.
    Rob.

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte View Post
    Please also pass on my best wishes Cole. Looking forward to find him up and about and fighting fit very soon.
    Rob.
    What he said!
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

Firstly, all the best to the Flea for a swift recovery. Looking forward to further good news about his progress! Secondly, congratulations to you both, and to anyone who helped, for the amazing productions. Somehow missed all of them earlier, but have now caught up and seen the lot. Really like the format and the humour that comes across. It makes them very entertaining as well as informative. Love the enthusiasm too. Thanks for sharing.

Awesome video. Love the commentary. Makes it fun to watch. Rep worthy.

Love the paint job on the VII.

Great film keep it up. We will give your brother all our prayers.

Thank you so much everyone! Flea goes off to the hospital tomorrow; I showed him all your kind well-wishes here, and I believe he was touched. Very deeply appreciated!

Similar Missions

1. Sopwith Snipe Youtube link
    By Baxter in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 01-24-2018, 14:29
  2. New (real) Fokker D.VIII and Sopwith Snipe
    By KiwiAce in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 11-08-2011, 02:52
  3. Sopwith Snipe stats
    By Oberst Hajj in forum WGF: Historical Discussions
    Replies: 1