Ares Games

Thread: What price a War Hero?

Default What price a War Hero?

As most of us will remember, Flight Lieutenant (Pilot) John Peters (RAF) ejected from his Tornado after being hit by a SAM, on January 17th 1991, A victim of the Gulf war, He was subsequently captured along with his navigator Flight Lieutenant John Nichol in the "Al Janubiyah Desert" by Iraqi soldiers, Make no mistake John Peters was tortured by his interrogators, I don't think I will ever forget his brutalised face, which was flashed across the worlds television screens

Name:  1.jpg
Views: 148
Size:  157.6 KB

His full story can be read in his book "Tornado Down" a very interesting read, Now I get to the point of my story, I just payed 20p in a charity shop for a "First day stamp cover" which had be signed by John Peters himself, What price a War Hero?

Name:  2.jpg
Views: 104
Size:  133.8 KB

I read another two of Nichol's thrillers 15 years ago and was very satisfied.

Don't see the book as a 20p hero, see it as an incredible luck that the book with the first day cover is in right hands. Yours. I think the most valueable things in life are not expansive, they're pretty cheap. Sometimes you need just 20p, sometimes only a smile. Never for nothing, never expensive.

Similar Missions

1. Another hero passes
    By BobP in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-12-2017, 20:23
  2. our hero
    By boomerpete53 in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 12-01-2016, 14:38
  3. A Hero is a Hero - even if he's fighting in the wrong side
    By Blackronin in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 11