Ares Games

Thread: WGS BoB Fuel Limitations

Default WGS BoB Fuel Limitations

Fuel limitations were a huge factor in the Battle of Britain, particular for the Germans. The suggested limitation of 40 points (two points per high speed and one for low speed maneuvers) see a bit much. I haven't gamed it out to figure what we be appropriate for the Bf109s and the HE-111s, but does anyone use fuel limitations in BoB scenarios and of so, what are they for each type of plane?

I have not used fuel rules yet but have thought about it. I would say it all depends on where you are having your fight. So far I have only run Channel and south coast fights. Over the channel it shouldn't be one sided but deeper into Britain it becomes a factor. It would come down to how many turns do you want to give the 109s to fight before heading home.

I have tried the "40 points" system, combining it with a dive-to-attack "stopwatch".

The 109s can travel at Slow speed, for as long as they like, at a higher altitude than ALL RAF planes.

When the 109s dive, they start the "stopwatch" and count down the 40 points of fuel from that point - they MUST exit their own base edge with fuel remaining, or are considered lost.

They can risk flying further onto the maps, but, once they engage, deeper penetrations require earlier break-off and exit moves.

No other German planes get fuel limitation (great reason to start using 110s! )
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Helmut View Post
    I have tried the "40 points" system, combining it with a dive-to-attack "stopwatch".

The 109s can travel at Slow speed, for as long as they like, at a higher altitude than ALL RAF planes.

When the 109s dive, they start the "stopwatch" and count down the 40 points of fuel from that point - they MUST exit their own base edge with fuel remaining, or are considered lost.

They can risk flying further onto the maps, but, once they engage, deeper penetrations require earlier break-off and exit moves.

No other German planes get fuel limitation (great reason to start using 110s! )
    For the 110s do you allow them the rear gunner? I read somewhere (sorry, don't have the source) that the Germans started sending 110s out without the rear gunners to save weight and fuel over Britain.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobsalt View Post
    For the 110s do you allow them the rear gunner? I read somewhere (sorry, don't have the source) that the Germans started sending 110s out without the rear gunners to save weight and fuel over Britain.
    Yes, I do - I've never come across any references to swapping rear gunner for fuel (except in the case of Rudolf Hess!).
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Helmut View Post
    Yes, I do - I've never come across any references to swapping rear gunner for fuel (except in the case of Rudolf Hess!).
    They didn't swap the gunner for fuel - they left the gunner behind to save on the weight and thus improve fuel economy. I wish I had saved the source where I read this.

Similar Missions

1. Replies: 11
    Last Post: 07-13-2016, 13:51
  2. Fixed (non-drop) External Fuel Tank Limitations?
    By Franco Lucchini in forum WGS: House Rules
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 04-16-2016, 07:18
  3. Incendiary Bullets - Limitations on Use?
    By David Manley in forum WGF: General Discussions
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 08-13-2013, 20:15
  4. Fuel
    By Stormkahn in forum WGS: House Rules
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 02-03-2011, 16:19
  5. Fuel/Ammo Limitations.
    By Walt Powell in forum WGF: Historical Discussions
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 11-29-2010, 15:49