Ares Games

Thread: Manfred von Richthofen Kill list

Default Manfred von Richthofen Kill list

Looking through the I my old copy of Avalon Hills "RICHTHOFEN'S WAR" I also found a list of Manfred von Richthofen kills, all 80 of them.

Name:  List.jpg
Views: 214
Size:  169.1 KBName:  Manfred_von_Richthofen.jpg
Views: 206
Size:  129.9 KB

Users Country Flag

Name
    Florian
    Sorties Flown

The majority of the victims seems to be inferior (in comparison to a scout) reconisance/bomber planes. Maybe it's a similar situation as it was with Erich Hartmann - he had the highest score, but mostly inferior planes. Others pilots like Gallant had more equivalent sparring partners.

You can only shoot what is in front of you & two seaters would be the prime targets for the obvious reasons, not forgetting MvR was shot down by one of these 'inferior' machines !
    If you look at the WW1 aces I'm sure the tallies tell similar tales - McCudden for instance - 38/57 two seaters, Mannock 22/61 plus a few balloons, Ball 30/44 plus a balloon.

"He is wise who watches"

Destroying two-seaters was the way to win the 'ground war'. It reduced reconnaissance, artillery spotting and bombing.

Quote Originally Posted by Naharaht View Post
    Destroying two-seaters was the way to win the 'ground war'. It reduced reconnaissance, artillery spotting and bombing.
    Exactly. This was the whole reason for the "scouts". That and protecting your own.
    Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

Users Country Flag

Name
    Florian
    Sorties Flown

Of course, destroying the recon and bombing planes was obviously the primary task for the scouts. Nonetheless I had always the impression, that aces earned their reputation by killing other fighters (aces) by beating them through their extraordinary flying and shooting skills.

The most commonly practised method of shooting down an opponent was to sneak up behind them, shoot them up (when they had no idea the attacker was there) and escape.
    Slower two-seaters are the easiest to catch and kill in this way (provided the observer is busy on his mission).

The "Knights of the Air" misconception is just that - a misconception.

Anyway, more than half of those 80 are fighters/scouts.................
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

Quote Originally Posted by Karo7 View Post
    ... Nonetheless I had always the impression, that aces earned their reputation by killing other fighters (aces) by beating them through their extraordinary flying and shooting skills.
    Doubtless there was an element of that too but Tim's right - stalk, get in, kill, get out - was the usual tactic.
    Albert Ball's preferred method was to get under the target and fire a burst through the cockpit floor - still extraordinary flying and shooting skills just not quite how you imagined them !

"He is wise who watches"

When it comes down to it, who wants a fair fight, but I also had the same impression as you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Karo7 View Post
    Of course, destroying the recon and bombing planes was obviously the primary task for the scouts. Nonetheless I had always the impression, that aces earned their reputation by killing other fighters (aces) by beating them through their extraordinary flying and shooting skills.

For a better understanding of The Red Baron and his career - try reading 'Under the Guns of the Red Baron' by Franks , Gibley & McCrery

Name:  11.1.PNG
Views: 181
Size:  49.4 KB

Never Knowingly Undergunned !!

Quote Originally Posted by Hedeby View Post
    For a better understanding of The Red Baron and his career - try reading 'Under the Guns of the Red Baron' by Franks , Gibley & McCrery

One of my favorite books.

These two companion books are also excellent reading.

Name:  IMG_6884.jpg
Views: 154
Size:  169.6 KB

Rob
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Yup, I have all three and they are most enlightening!
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Helmut View Post
    Yup, I have all three and they are most enlightening!
    Yep - have those three from your recommendations, Tim.

Plus these:
    Attached Images   
    Last edited by Stumptonian; 10-13-2018 at 10:24.

Quote Originally Posted by Hedeby View Post

Thanks for the recommendation. I just picked it up like new from Amazon for $5.99 including shipping.

Similar Missions

1. Wings of Glory Baron Manfred Von Richthofen memorial Battle
    By Captain Knowitall in forum WGF: After Action Reports
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 05-19-2018, 12:55
  2. manfred von richthofen's aircraft.
    By Dieter W. in forum WGF: Historical Discussions
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 02-22-2017, 12:43
  3. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-06-2016, 22:20
  4. WGFB: Manfred von Richthofen - Ace Profiles #3