Ares Games
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What's On Your October Workbench?

my workbench is rather full. went kind of crazy assembling my zvezda kits as they were so joyously easy after working on that damn vallom kit!!! slowly working through the bunch. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1016022447.jpg 
Views:	143 
Size:	144.5 KB 
ID:	256477Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1016022501.jpg 
Views:	142 
Size:	159.6 KB 
ID:	256480
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 1016022447.jpg   1016022447.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by BobP View Post
    Here is a Hudson with 6o Squadron. Again AIM model and MISMINI decals. I read that 60 Squadron had Blenheim's and then some Hudson's for anti sub patrol. I have to get some more Blenheim's to go along with this Hudson.

Attachment 256463
    Nice model Bob.
    It's a pity, But I don't recall any Hudsons being used on Malta, otherwise I would be onto that one like a flash.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Users Country Flag

Name
    Daniel
    Arizona (Otherwise known as Hell's back porch)
    Sorties Flown

Here is a Hudson with 6o Squadron. Again AIM model and MISMINI decals. I read that 60 Squadron had Blenheim's and then some Hudson's for anti sub patrol. I have to get some more Blenheim's to go along with this Hudson.

Attachment 256463

Attachment 256464
    Then go sub hunting!!!

I was away for a few days and just getting back here. From what I read 60 squadron moved to India and had Hudson's. In the list I have of RAF squadron it says 60 squadron (MU) was in Malay/Burma and India. I thought I read somewhere about it getting Hudson's but can't seem to find it again so I guess I just added one to my squadron.
    Last edited by BobP; 10-18-2018 at 15:46.

I did these before I went away for a few days so now just posting them. Again AIM A6M2's with MISCMINI decals of the TAINAN Kokutai.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_8037.jpg 
Views:	121 
Size:	119.0 KB 
ID:	256611

Name:	IMG_8033.jpg 
Views:	123 
Size:	58.7 KB 
ID:	256612

Name:	IMG_8035.jpg 
Views:	120 
Size:	60.2 KB 
ID:	256613

Name:	IMG_8036.jpg 
Views:	121 
Size:	61.2 KB 
ID:	256614

I want to get some more to go with the other set of decals I got from Kevin.

Name:	IMG_8043.jpg 
Views:	115 
Size:	86.9 KB 
ID:	256668

Name:	IMG_8046.jpg 
Views:	115 
Size:	83.8 KB 
ID:	256669

Well here are two more additions to my Finnish AF. A DB-3 and a SB-2.

Great to see something different Bob.

Rob.

Good work Bob, Daniel & Phil, your production lines are running hot this month.

"He is wise who watches"

So here is the end of the month planes. Again AIM planes and MISCMINI decals. F6F Hellcat's, VF 27, USS Princeton.

Name:	IMG_8049.jpg 
Views:	91 
Size:	130.5 KB 
ID:	257198

Name:	IMG_8053.jpg 
Views:	89 
Size:	69.2 KB 
ID:	257199

Name:	IMG_8054.jpg 
Views:	90 
Size:	67.1 KB 
ID:	257200

Name:	IMG_8058.jpg 
Size:	68.4 KB 
ID:	257201

Just received a new batch of planes today so started on next month's planes.

Bob, you are a factory! Great planes. What clan of elves do you have working for you?

Thanks Peter. I think I am slow as I should get more done since I have the time. See you in 2 weeks and congratulations to the Sox for the WS win.

Very smart looking too Bob.
    Rob.

matt56's Avatar May you forever fly in blue skies.
    Major

Users Country Flag

Name
    Matt
    Sorties Flown

Love the 'toothy snarl' Tigermouth on these beauties, Bob! I've always liked the Hellcat, and I hope these do you proud when they get into action...

All the best,
    Matt

BobP: This is the right way how to paint cannopies - with silver colour

So here is the end of the month planes. Again AIM planes and MISCMINI decals. F6F Hellcat's, VF 27, USS Princeton.

Name:	IMG_8049.jpg 
Size:	130.5 KB 
ID:	257198

Name:	IMG_8053.jpg 
Views:	89 
Size:	69.2 KB 
ID:	257199

Name:	IMG_8054.jpg 
Views:	90 
Size:	67.1 KB 
ID:	257200

Name:	IMG_8058.jpg 
Size:	68.4 KB 
ID:	257201

Just received a new batch of planes today so started on next month's planes.
    Lovely job indeed! I just wish the canopy was not so far forward! AIM has nice stuff but there are a few mistakes . . . the Shapeways designers got it right.

To receive comments from those I consider masters is something. Painting keeps me home and occupied. SWMBO is good about that. Started working on next months planes.

Daniel for me the silver color is what I liked when I did the first plane.

A couple of SPAD A2s - Shapeways models, but I regret I don't know the designer as I picked them up second hand, unpainted, at a show. The decals are Dom's and my own. I'll have to redo the S19 at some stage as guess who forgot to use the fixative on his decal sheet before applying them. Ah well, you live and learn The models have been treated with three coats of PVA / water mix (3:1), before painting, but maybe I should try four coats next time around!

Name:	SPAD A2 1.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	122.8 KB 
ID:	257276 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Spad A2 2.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	179.4 KB 
ID:	257277

Name:	Spad A2 3.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	151.2 KB 
ID:	257278 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Spad A2 4.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	131.9 KB 
ID:	257279

Very pretty Mike - they should burn nicely...

"He is wise who watches"

Very nice SPAD A2s Mike. I'm thinking of flying French in the future early war campaign. I guess I should get some of these curious beauties!

Very nice and like them flying through the clouds.

Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post
    Very pretty Mike - they should burn nicely...
    Yes they are very attractive Dave, especially when they are dishing out the burning to the Eagles.
    Kyte.

A rainy and gloomy day today; no natural light as needed for the hobby room(s), so I started Project X-Fast Planes.
    Stay tuned.

Karl
    Meanwhile, a commentary on the day:

Name:	NOV rain.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	90.8 KB 
ID:	257296
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

I resemble Snoopy's remark.
    I am preparing for my winter hibernation.
    Rob.

Hibernation? We are just waking up here in the AZ . . . Just received some tempting decals for 3 B-24's in the build box . . .

OK, been a busy few weeks...last minute additions. Added to the pike unit I had earlier this month finishing off the whole bunch and some cav. Then the last angels for his wifes KoW army.

Attachment 257297Attachment 257298Attachment 257299Attachment 257300Attachment 257301

Mike these are very nice Spads, some well painted straight lines as well. Shame that the bodies look quite grainy even though the to wing doesn't, but I don't imagine you see this on the table. only under high magnification from the photos.
    Last night I did some ball and cup magnet joints, roughed up to get a better grip but it doesn't work for the heavier two seat planes, just wondered if you had used a bigger ball, say 7mm and if that works any better.
    Look forward to seeing these in action.

just wondered if you had used a bigger ball, say 7mm and if that works any better.
    Using standard gimbal mount, from Keith Upton, John. These are Shapeways models remember, so much lighter than Ares miniatures, but I have used these mounts on the latter too without problems. There are larger mounts sold for use with bombers. Check out the Aerodrome Store - you may find they work for you on your heavier models. Also, it may depend on how you configure your gimbal mount. The bearing glued directly to the model, with a small depression to seat it, will give a better centre of gravity than mounting it on a peg.

Great work on the SPADs, and I like your use of the crew. Being the gunner in that front pulpit must have been a pretty scary experience -- the rushing wind in your face and a spinning propeller at your back. I probably would have been paralyzed.

Last thing I did in October, even distantly related to modelling...

Name:	RMCF_Skull-lit.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	112.4 KB 
ID:	257327

This is a 6" chocolate skull, to which I took a knife, and carved out a hole in the base. Put in an orange LED and attempted to make a spooky display for the trick-or-treaters. It was too dark, and the chocolate was too thick to show the teeth well. The image was brightened a bunch to show the skull in the dark image, so it is not the best representation.

Will have to eat the poor result. Darn.

PS: No, I didn't make the skull. I bought it at my local outlet of the Rocky Mountain Chocolate Factory.
    Facebook.com - RockyMtnComoxValley - Halloween
    Last edited by OldGuy59; 11-01-2018 at 09:10.
    Mike
    "Flying is learning to throw yourself at the ground and miss" Douglas Adams
    "Wings of Glory won't skin your elbows and knees while practicing." OldGuy59

They need to use white chocolate next year Mike !

"He is wise who watches"

Will have to eat the poor result. Darn.
    That's a real shame Mike. Don't know how you can even think about it

Quote Originally Posted by mikeemagnus View Post
    A couple of SPAD A2s - Shapeways models, but I regret I don't know the designer as I picked them up second hand, unpainted, at a show. The decals are Dom's and my own. I'll have to redo the S19 at some stage as guess who forgot to use the fixative on his decal sheet before applying them. Ah well, you live and learn The models have been treated with three coats of PVA / water mix (3:1), before painting, but maybe I should try four coats next time around!

Name:	SPAD A2 1.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	122.8 KB 
ID:	257276 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Spad A2 2.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	179.4 KB 
ID:	257277

Name:	Spad A2 3.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	151.2 KB 
ID:	257278 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Spad A2 4.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	131.9 KB 
ID:	257279
    Very lovely effort Mike, I loved this era in our game, the planes were so imaginative! One of my first Shapeways was a pair of A2's. Yours look marvelous. FYI the rough fuselage sides are a byproduct of the sealing process, I learned to sand them between coats with an emery board, the tops and bottom surfaces pooled the filler, but the verticals shed the fillers, so they need some extra efforts - sanding. I often sprayed the mini with gloss clear, top and let dry left side up spray and dry and so on to get an even fill. You found the perfect color for the linen as well, when I visited Omaka there were several birds in the same color. Very nice indeed.

Name:	20170830_101104_resized.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	155.6 KB 
ID:	257338

Name:	20170830_101157_resized.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	111.0 KB 
ID:	257339
    Odd they did not give the prop room to turn . . .

Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post
    They need to use white chocolate next year Mike !
    Dave,
    If you check the link, they did have both versions (Milk and White Chocolate), but the Better Half is not fond of the white. We will see about next year, though. Might have to buy one of each, one for the show, and one for her to eat.
    Mike
    "Flying is learning to throw yourself at the ground and miss" Douglas Adams
    "Wings of Glory won't skin your elbows and knees while practicing." OldGuy59

Very nicely done. We need FE 2B in this game 1939 built, and were in the war from beginning to the end.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Similar Missions

1. MOAB 2016 Sydney Sat 1st October to Mon 3rd October 2016
    By Carl_Brisgamer in forum Australian Wing
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 09-13-2016, 03:40
  2. What's On Your Workbench for October 2015?
    By Lt. S.Kafloc in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 136
    Last Post: 11-03-2015, 09:31
  3. The OTHER workbench . . .
    By clipper1801 in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 09-08-2015, 04:30
  4. what's on your workbench for October?
    By FarEast in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 106
    Last Post: 11-02-2014, 01:04
  5. The Workbench
    By Oberst Hajj in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 68
    Last Post: 03-18-2012, 22:58