Ares Games

Thread: Communications (how do you guys handle this)

Default Communications (how do you guys handle this)

My small gaming group had a chance to try Wow for the first time last night. It was well received by all. We came up with a rather interesting rule. No strategizing between the pilots on the same side. This was due to the fact that there were no radios. I'm assuming the did have some hand signals, wobbling the wings and what not. Since the pilots from one side would be assumed to have trained together do you allow strategizing between fellow pilots or not? One member had actually thought we might use actual hand signals to each other.

There was athread a while back about pilots on the same side using hand signals - have a look in the search engine or a browse through house rules - I think the general concensus is there is no talking between pilots on the same side but there is usually plenty of banter.
    here's one I found http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/showthread.php?t=621

Sapiens qui vigilat... "He is wise who watches"

We concluded from the thread that Flash mentioned here that rudementary communications are O.K. but once in the thick of it you are very much on your Jack Jones. Only the flight leader can signal things like Break off, I'm having engine problems etc. In the heat of battle you may very well miss a flare altogether. So you pays your money and takes your choice on this one, much the same as we do with all the house rules.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

You will find that a group that flys together alot will get to where they will know how their wing mates will react in combat with certain types of aircraft. This mirrors the actual flights of the war, complete with the occasional bad guess (read collisions and irritated words for someone who blocks your perfect shot!) We do use limited hand signals and most of our banter comes in the form of that little voice in your head (team mates) that says "Hey the action is over here!!

Personally I feel that unless your players think it really makes the game unfair, go ahead and table talk, but don't let them help select cards to co-ordinate their flights like the an airshow. Guessing is half the fun!

I agree that simple hand signals prior to the full scale engagement is fine, but once the firball begins the communication ends. You're lucky if you can keep track of your own situation, no less try and communicate with your squadron mates in the middle of the chaos. Of course, the trash talk and banter are fine, just no coordinating moves in the heat of battle.

Quote Originally Posted by Goering Ace View Post
    I agree that simple hand signals prior to the full scale engagement is fine, but once the firball begins the communication ends. You're lucky if you can keep track of your own situation, no less try and communicate with your squadron mates in the middle of the chaos. Of course, the trash talk and banter are fine, just no coordinating moves in the heat of battle.
    Not to steal an opinion or entry, But I don't think I can state it any better than Scott here... and I am right there with him on the opinion. I do like to assign each side a commander before a mission and to allow them 10-15 minutes to discuss strategies before the engagement.
    Ken Head - "The Cowman"
    “You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it.” Robin Williams

The only time we allow players to try and coordinate is if they within short range. Sometimes there is so much banter going on, they forget, there is the lack of situational awareness.

Hand signals are fine as long as the pilots can see each other. I would say within long range and flying side by side. Or the lead pilot gives a signal but the pilot behind can not.

Similar Missions

1. So what do you guys use.....
    By Hanomag in forum WGS: General Discussions
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 08-02-2011, 01:33
  2. Need some help guys
    By Oberst Hajj in forum WGS: General Discussions
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 03-17-2010, 14:32
  3. Site: I did not forget you WWII guys, 5 new avatars for you as well!
    By Oberst Hajj in forum Site News and Announcements
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 11-17-2009, 10:13