Ares Games

Thread: Wings over Isonzo - gaming evening in Bavaria

Default Wings over Isonzo - gaming evening in Bavaria

Last Thursday, my new comrade Lindinho (Chris) & me played WGF A-H/Italian front. Two gamers and a choice of fine historical researched missions by our Australian friend Carl Brisgamer.

First one:

The Falcon falls

https://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/sh...for-3-players)

We decided to make a historical setup with Linke-Crawford with his A-firing Aviatik D.I vs. two Italian A-firing Hanriots HD.1.
    Me taking L-C with the silent hope to outmaneuver and shoot down the enemy one by one.

Here's Chris checking fuel before the start of the mission.

Chris covered a wide area with his aproaching two planes, so that I had to handle only one of them with the first maneuvers.

Those A-H/Italian front planes are real eye catchers.

Ace cards were in combat and Linke-Crawford fought the battle with Level four status. Early in the fight I had to use Lucky Git to avoid 3 damage points + pilot hit.

Wasn't that easy for the Italians because I changed the altitude a few times. No problem with a climb rate of 2 vs. a climb rate of 3. On the other hand the Hanriots HD.1 had some "non-steep" 90 degree curves and intersting sideslip maneuvers.

Finally the Italians catched me in the corner.

A 5 damage points + pilot hit later my fate was sealed. The Hanriots shot my Avatik down in flames and we had a nearly historical outcome.

Supported by another gamer (friend of Chris) we choosed a 3 player scenario.

To catch a Caproni

https://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/sh...-or-3-players)

The comrades determined me to be the captain of the Caproni Ca.3 and I accepted.

An interesting game with altitude rules again. The Albatross D.III started on level 7 that grants them the +1 shooting form above bonus. Me on level 6 trying to use the special 360 degree shooting arc of the rear gunner to one altitude level above versus them.

Goal was to escape over a distance of two gaming mats for the Caproni, so they were a little bit surprised that I turned towards them to inflict as many damgage as possible.

You know how uncomfortable it is to fly with a scout beside a bomber and being target of two MG gunners.

Again we played as historical as possible and use the "unreachable MGs" and "lockable controls" for the Austrian Albatros D.IIIs.

Unfortunately Brumovski had a jam.

After flying a nice circle to teach the Austrians about the B-damage deck, I had a nasty crash with one of the D.IIIs (not the jammed Brumovski) causing nice 6 damage points.

In a good company with two jams for the rear gunner, I decided to leave the battlefield, by loosing an altitude level, turn by turn.

Finally a good match and the D.IIIs had their problems with the fast Caproni.

Brumovski did not leave but try to ram the Caproni, too. We had one or two tight flybys...

Action over the Adriatic

Last mission was another 3 player game.

An RFC Airco DH.4 on anti-submarine mission was caught by two Aviatik D.Is. Mission goal was to chase the DH.4 from the table or shoot it down. RFC victory could be achieved by shooting down one of the A-H planes.

https://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/sh...-or-3-players)

Reading the mission setup we prepared for battle.

Lindinho (Chris) volunteered for the RFC plane. Me (Sabeditsch) and our comrade (Linke-Crawford) piloted the Aviatiks.

It was a hard fight and the Airco dealt out a real nice punches. Fast & with a great climb rate the twoseater was a that was we call in Germany: "eine harte Nuss" (a hard nut).

Finally we brought the mission to an historical result. The rear gun blind spot saved Linke-Crawford a few times from the A-damage rear gun.

We had a lot of fun with those beautiful designed missions.

I can only recommend them to everybody.

Thank you Carl.
    Last edited by Marechallannes; 09-29-2018 at 17:45.
    Voilą le soleil d'Austerlitz!

Some nice action Sven, well done all involved

"He is wise who watches"

Thumbs up

Glad you are getting in some good gaming with new mates.
    I enjoyed the AAR's.
    Rep inbound!

matt56's Avatar May you forever fly in blue skies.
    Major

Users Country Flag

Name
    Matt
    Sorties Flown

I always enjoy some Italian Front action, Sven - nice mix of scenarios that you three enjoyed Great pics of the action, too...

All the best,
    Matt

It is great to see these Italian Front games coming to the fore Sven.
    As you know I love the Italian Front.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

These sound interesting scenario's and it looks like you had a good time with them.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Christian
    Sorties Flown

Thank you for this report Sven. It was great fun. I love these Isonzo Front scenarios.

Regards,

Lindinho

Many thanks for sharing Sven. Really enjoyed the read. Mike

Thanks for posting your reports Sven, I am glad your group is making use of the Italian Front missions.

Similar Missions

1. Evening all...
    By Lochwood in forum UK Wing
    Replies: 31
    Last Post: 07-15-2017, 09:21
  2. Clash Over The Isonzo
    By BB401 in forum WGF: After Action Reports
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 10-14-2016, 12:30
  3. Poland and Bavaria, just like Sven and Andy;)
    By Nightbomber in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 05-07-2016, 16:17
  4. 2nd Cav. Reg. is riding through Poland to Bavaria:)
    By Nightbomber in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 03-25-2015, 02:46
  5. US imported WW II planes reach Bavaria
    By Marechallannes in forum WGS: General Discussions
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-23-2012, 07:25