Ares Games

Thread: The Bizarre Bazaar

Default The Bizarre Bazaar

As has become usual, following the most recent (2018) annual Doncaster gathering, we had a number of prizes which although gratefully donated were not claimed on the day.

I have been asked if it would be possible to purchase a couple of these items. To that end, and as a way to begin our funding drive for next year's (2019) annual get together (where ever that may end up being) I intend to put pictures up of all the left over prizes for people to putchase should they so wish.

I also though this might be a great opportunity for people to get rid of some of the 'stuff' we all have laying around the house/workshop that we know deep down we are never going to use. Anyone happy to donate items to this on line Bazaar, please feel free to let me know and we can look at starting our funding for next year good and early. I have set up a Paypal 'Paypool' to manage the funds etc.

lets see what happens.... I will get images of items up within the next day or so

Never Knowingly Undergunned !!

Great plan, I have a box of odds for the cause . . . Thinning the herd and the hanger . . .

Thumbs up

Sounds a great idea Chris.
    I will look forward to the list & pics.

Interested in what Dave means by “thinning the hangar” - Probably found about 20 Zeppelins he forgot about

Would anyone be interested in 1/72 WW1 kits of which I have about 200? If so I can throw some of the more interesting/rare ones into the mix.
    Last edited by Guntruck; 09-28-2018 at 23:00.
    Run for your life - there are stupid people everywhere!

Would something like this be of interest?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	RCAF HipFlask_Pewter.jpg 
Views:	120 
Size:	36.8 KB 
ID:	255419

Unfortunately, it is only 8oz, so perhaps just enough to take the edge off the cold at altitude.
    Mike
    "Flying is learning to throw yourself at the ground and miss" Douglas Adams
    "Wings of Glory won't skin your elbows and knees while practicing." OldGuy59

Only if it's full

if anyone's interested I have one as well that I would be happy to donate. It would be empty though.a

Great idea Chris but I already did the dark corner examination (before the event) and donated what I discovered to the prize table. I was happy to see that they all went!

Anything and everything gratefully accepted.. just need to agree rules of engagement (open to suggestions on how best to make this work).. Hip flasks look wonderful what price are we looking at?

matt56's Avatar May you forever fly in blue skies.
    Major

Users Country Flag

Name
    Matt
    Sorties Flown

This sounds like a great idea, Chris! I hope it goes a long way toward covering costs for Doncaster 2019 For those of us abroad, how will postage work - part of the asking price, added in after, or will the 'seller'/Doncaster team eat the cost?

Best of luck

All the best,
    Matt

Quote Originally Posted by matt56 View Post
    This sounds like a great idea, Chris! I hope it goes a long way toward covering costs for Doncaster 2019 For those of us abroad, how will postage work - part of the asking price, added in after, or will the 'seller'/Doncaster team eat the cost?

Best of luck

All the best,
    Matt
    I would definately consider a common thread listing but find sponsors who would either warehouse the donations or coordinate their distribution in each country. . .

Quote Originally Posted by OldGuy59 View Post

Unfortunately, it is only 8oz, so perhaps just enough to take the edge off the cold at altitude.
    I'd love to send it full, but there are customs issues...

For the purpose of an auction to raise money for the next UK Gather, whatever price someone wants to pay, and if the bidding gets too high, it might be possible to acquire an extra one. Once the 'winner' is determined, postage (being anywhere in the world) would need to be determined. By weight (empty!), I would tentatively suggest a cost of $15-ish to most anywhere in the world.

The Bazaar coordinator would PM me the winner's name, and I would contact that person to arrange shipping and paying of postage. I would hope that eTransfer could work for most people.

PS: If the winner is attending the 2019 UK Gather, I'll pay the postage.
    Mike

All very good ideas.
    Thanks for getting this started Chris.
    I have just sold those Ace ability cards so will pass £20 on for the fund when i see you.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Thats excellent Rob, thanks

Thanks for all the responses thus far, to try and answer a few questions (and after some consultation)

I think the simplest way to make this work (is people are happy with it) would be for the 'seller' to post a picture of the item with a price including an estimated postage.
    Collect the funds from the purchaser then transfer the received money through to a central place ( it appears to me at present - but again happy for somone else to do it).
    Makes sense to deduct any additional postage costs and to allow for paypal fees etc. before transferring any funds through.
    It is generous enough for folk to sell off their bits and bobs without having to incur a cost into the bargain.

If anyone has a better suggestion please share.
    Last edited by Hedeby; 10-01-2018 at 06:46.

Chris,
    just saw this and for those of us in the States maybe 1 person could be the collection point to ship things to the UK. It would one box with all the items in it. Then just 1 person would have to be reimbursed for the shipping costs. I have a number of 1/72 armor and figures (different companies and still in their box) I would donate. For me any money made from the sale would go back to fund for the convention.

Quote Originally Posted by BobP View Post
    Chris,
    just saw this and for those of us in the States maybe 1 person could be the collection point to ship things to the UK. It would one box with all the items in it. Then just 1 person would have to be reimbursed for the shipping costs. I have a number of 1/72 armor and figures (different companies and still in their box) I would donate. For me any money made from the sale would go back to fund for the convention.
    Bob, am I being thick here? Surely there will be two postage costs - yours and whoever in the U.K has to distribute the box contents?

Quote Originally Posted by Hedeby View Post
    Thanks for all the responses thus far, to try and answer a few questions (and after some consultation)

I think the simplest way to make this work (is people are happy with it) would be for the 'seller' to post a picture of the item with a price including an estimated postage.
    Collect the funds from the purchaser then transfer the received money through to a central place ( it appears to me at present - but again happy for somone else to do it).
    Makes sense to deduct any additional postage costs and to allow for paypal fees etc. before transferring any funds through.
    It is generous enough for folk to sell off their bits and bobs without having to incur a cost into the bargain.

If anyone has a better suggetsion please share.
    I know you have to fill those empty retirement hours somehow Chris but if you need someone to help out I’m your huckleberry.

Sorry I mean for those of us in the US we could send our items to one person in the US so all could be shipped to the UK at one time. Maybe I misunderstand what is happening. I thought these were donations to help raise funds for the Doncaster gathering ?

I think Chris’s idea is for the donor to advertise and sell the item, then transfer the proceeds to a central pot (Post #14). A sort of WoG version of Evilbay.

Steve is right (thanks Steve) - I was thinking of some kind of WoWBay (couldn't use the more recent name for obvious reasons....)

First purchase done. Thank you Dave (Naharat) yours books in the post this afternoon

OK so here we go....

Item No.1 - A Box set of three DVDs telling the story of WW1 including cards, posters and other little suprises.

Name:	Item 1 - WW1 DVD set.jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	207.5 KB 
ID:	255563

I was thinking offers in the region of £10 inc. postage

SOLD

Item 2 - 3 x Zvezda WW2 planes - 2 x Bristol Belnheim's and 1 x Junkers 52

Name:	Item 2 Zvezda Planes x3.PNG 
Size:	594.8 KB 
ID:	255564
    again around £10 inc. postage
    Last edited by Hedeby; 10-01-2018 at 08:20.

Item 3 - A book on WW2 Jets

Name:	Item 3 WW2 Jets.PNG 
Size:	681.6 KB 
ID:	255565
    Offers around a fiver postage would be about £1.50 (UK)

Ok this one is a little different - a set of three volumes telling the story of the RAF 1939-1945. Not one of the Doncaster prizes but have been gathering dust on one of my bookshelves for sometime and thought someone else might like them

These are one for the historian - the books were printed in 1953 and were aquired from an RAF library by my father many years ago when he was still serving in the RAF (the library stamp says Junior Command & Staff School)
    Not sure if anyone would be interested or how much to ask? postage might not be cheap as they are quite heavy together.

But its a bit of history (well they are many years older than I am, lol)

Name:	RAF Books.jpg 
Size:	102.8 KB 
ID:	255566

Name:	RAF Books (2).jpg 
Size:	217.5 KB 
ID:	255567

Item 5 ARES Aircraft comparison charts

Name:	Item 5 Comparison Charts.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	193.0 KB 
ID:	255619

Might be nice for a study or classroom or club room - £1 each plus a stamp?
    Last edited by Hedeby; 10-02-2018 at 02:16.

Item 6 ARES Paper Maps

Name:	Item 6 Maps.PNG 
Views:	64 
Size:	709.3 KB 
ID:	255617

as above - £1.00 plus a stamp
    Last edited by Hedeby; 10-02-2018 at 02:16.

Item 7 WW1 Fighters Book - nice one for the kids, younger reader perhaps?

Quite a light volume so postage not a problem - offers around a fiver?

Name:	Item 4 WW1 Planes book.PNG 
Views:	64 
Size:	742.7 KB 
ID:	255616
    Last edited by Hedeby; 10-02-2018 at 02:15.

Item 8 WW2 Decals - Spitfire and Hurricane - £1.00 each plus a stamp?

Name:	Item 8 Decals.PNG 
Views:	84 
Size:	751.6 KB 
ID:	255571

Just to add for 145 and 92 Squadron, ideal if you are creating squadrons based in Africa or the Med/Italy area.
    See you on the Dark Side......

Quote Originally Posted by OldGuy59 View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Hedeby View Post
    Anything and everything gratefully accepted.. just need to agree rules of engagement (open to suggestions on how best to make this work).. Hip flasks look wonderful what price are we looking at?
    If this is just a 'sell' thing, and not an auction, then £12 ($20 Cdn) plus postage. Shipping to Vancouver Island or the UK Gather 2019 will be free (although, of course, the customer will have to wait for the Gather in September 2019 to receive the flask).
    Mike

Thanks Mike

Setarius's Avatar May you forever fly in blue skies
    Users Country Flag

Name
    Dale
    Sorties Flown

Chris,
    Items 5,6,&7 The pictures did not show up.

Quote Originally Posted by Setarius View Post
    Chris,
    Items 5,6,&7 The pictures did not show up.
    What he said.

What they said (Items 5 6 7)
    See you on the Dark Side......

Sorted - nice to see the attachment fairy is back from her summer holidays

New to the Bazaar... Original Avalon Hill Squad Leader game. Box is tired but as you can see its never been played 95% of all counters haven't been punched out.
    100% complete.
    These are selling on E-Bay (used) for between £35 and £60 - Hopefully it can find a new home for around £15 (+ postage) or £20 inc. Postage (all funds towards the 2019 annual gathering)

Name:	20181016_143141.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	200.6 KB 
ID:	256482

Name:	20181016_143116.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	196.6 KB 
ID:	256483

Name:	20181016_143133.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	196.1 KB 
ID:	256484

New privat market?

Maybe this is something for the market place and not the officer‘s mess.
    Voilą le soleil d'Austerlitz!

I will see if Rob or Neil can move it

Now one for those into D&D (or similar) - One official Dungeons & Dragons Gargantuan Black Dragon - these things sell for a fortune on e-bay (even worse through Amazon where I have seen them for up to £200 - thats crazy)
    As we are all friends here, this is available for £30 if anyone is interested (plus a couple of punds for postage) - as with evrything else just let me know.

Box is slightly worn, but the item itself is in new condition and 100% complete (with scenario cards etc)

Name:	141026.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	44.3 KB 
ID:	257092

Chris, I know you‘re acting with the best intentions, but does it make sense to establish this fund raising in midst of the officer‘s club?
    Voilą le soleil d'Austerlitz!

Job done.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Similar Missions

1. Grand Historical Bazaar
    By Baron Rolf in forum UK Wing
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 11-22-2012, 00:02