Ares Games

Thread: Dr.1 - Slow Fokker..

Default Dr.1 - Slow Fokker..

I have been asked a number of times at various events why the Fokker Dr.1 is so slow compared to the Sopwith Camel and other types, by chance I found this today that explains it nicely plus there's some nice footage of the machines.

Use link here
    Last edited by flash; 10-24-2018 at 08:47.

"He is wise who watches"

interesting. id say camel v fokker duels in the game usually go to the camel as well. though, i think that may have a lot to do with the fokkers 2 less hit points than anything else. ive never understood that myself. with a welded tube steel frame and the lack of bracing wires youd think the fokker would rate 15 hitpoints as well.

Great find, Dave - thanks for posting!

Quote Originally Posted by milcoll73 View Post
    interesting. id say camel v fokker duels in the game usually go to the camel as well. though, i think that may have a lot to do with the fokkers 2 less hit points than anything else. ive never understood that myself. with a welded tube steel frame and the lack of bracing wires youd think the fokker would rate 15 hitpoints as well.
    The video says the Fokker should be tougher than the Camel - in the game, it isn't.
    It also says the Fokker should be more manoeuvrable than the Camel - it isn't.

The speed difference is the real killer; the Camel can catch a fleeing Fokker, but not vice-versa, and this is substantiated in the video - a 15 mph speed difference.

Curiously, the Albatros D.II and D.III were 15 mph faster than the DH2, but, despite being referred to as "fast scouts" by the RFC, their game speeds are identical....................no such advantage to be had.
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Helmut View Post
    ...Curiously, the Albatros D.II and D.III were 15 mph faster than the DH2, but, despite being referred to as "fast scouts" by the RFC, their game speeds are identical....................no such advantage to be had.
    Incorrect Tim. The DH2 is P deck, slow speed (2.9cm), the Albs are V & J decks, both average speed (3.5cm) - so advantage to be had there is !

"He is wise who watches"

Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post
    Incorrect Tim. The DH2 is P deck, slow speed (2.9cm), the Albs are V & J decks, both average speed (3.5cm) - so advantage to be had there is !
    Really?
    They looked the same when I measured them!
    Must be getting old...............................................

Another thing correctly stressed in the video that doesn't appear in the game, is visibility...as was stressed, the most successful fights are the ones wherein one side was able to stalk or ambush the other; not at all a true dogfight. Ah, well, this is one of the limitations of the game.

IMHO, figuring out such visibility options for not just the Camel & Dr-I, but all the others is going to ruin the base simplicity, the ease of play for the game itself. Best left to specifically-designed scenarios.

Really?
    They looked the same when I measured them!
    Must be getting old...............................................
    There's not much in it but size matters !

"He is wise who watches"

The link does not work, says unavailable and removed from sources other than youtube.

I have looked on youtube but can't find this particular film. What is it's actual you tube title please?

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel View Post
    The link does not work, says unavailable and removed from sources other than youtube.

I have looked on youtube but can't find this particular film. What is it's actual you tube title please?
    Hi Reg

Click on the line under "Video unavailable", the one that says.....

Watch this video on YouTube

This is a link, which will start up the YouTube video instantly.

Thumbs up

Thanks to Dave & Tim as I had the same message but will now be able to watch on good ole UTube!

I've added a link under the image too.

"He is wise who watches"

Hi Reg

Click on the line under "Video unavailable", the one that says.....

Watch this video on YouTube

This is a link, which will start up the YouTube video instantly.
    Silly me. My interpretation of that line was "Go to you tube to watch this"! Seen it now; very interesting.

Users Country Flag

Blog Entries
    Name
    Barry
    Sorties Flown

One of the biggest issues with the speed of the Fokker Dr1 was the third wing - which gave it greater drag compared with a biplane - and the poor quality of the German engines and the ersatz (substitute) quality castor oil.

Barry

Similar Missions

1. Slow motion machine gun video
    By BobP in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 11-27-2016, 00:27
  2. Very Slow Aircraft
    By Naharaht in forum WGS: General Discussions
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 08-03-2016, 06:35
  3. New Decks for Slow Aircraft Added
    By Zoe Brain in forum WGS: House Rules
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 03-22-2013, 01:54
  4. A round for the boys! Slow and steady!
    By LewdDude in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 05-15-2012, 17:46
  5. Quality control? or am I just slow at noticing..........
    By David H in forum WGF: General Discussions
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 02-21-2011, 16:14