Ares Games
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: UKWing Doncaster 2018

Default UKWing Doncaster 2018

So we kicked off at 1600 today with our first 2 games.

Validivia: Sails of Glory

WW1: The Tide Turns.

14 forum members enjoying the first of our weekend games.

Name:  20180921_174649.jpg
Views: 444
Size:  131.3 KB

Name:  20180921_170351.jpg
Views: 458
Size:  127.7 KB
    Last edited by Lt. S.Kafloc; 09-21-2018 at 11:09.
    See you on the Dark Side......

Please, special applause for Paul. His pilot had real iron hearth. And shirt. And trousers.
    I was shooting on him 6 moves in row (with Aiming rule) and he survived
    OK, it from DH2, so it was B firing.

So just over an hour until we start day 2.

Hangovers cleared. ......Let's see if we can sink some ships and shoot down some aircraft of which there were none yesterday.

matt56's Avatar May you forever fly in blue skies.
    Major

Users Country Flag

Name
    Matt
    Sorties Flown

Now that looks very interesting, Daniel! I assume you are racing around and through the pylons...are you shooting at one another, too?! Post more action pictures of the game if it's possible

Have tons of fun, too!

All the best,
    Matt

Correct. We started and after two turns around pylons we was able to fire. Marian (DeadlyM, Hien) shot me hard and broke my (Fw.190) engine (pretty bad for a race). Now I'm on her six and try to revenge...

Name:  20180922_110259.jpg
Views: 404
Size:  142.2 KB

PS: I hit a p(P)ole, sorry Andrzej
    Last edited by Dan-Sam; 09-22-2018 at 04:23.

Name:  32A7F544-0BCF-4793-AB7D-4BD5B1CB736E.jpg
Views: 428
Size:  183.2 KB

...and then you find Deadly M has Immelmanned her Ka-61 and you start to wonder if that was such a good place to be?

Interesting pictures, Dan.

Thank you.
    Voilŕ le soleil d'Austerlitz!

2 shots from Trafalgar

Name:  IMG-20180922-WA0000.jpg
Views: 388
Size:  85.4 KB
    Name:  IMG-20180922-WA0004.jpg
Views: 384
Size:  139.7 KB

Bottom pick is Collingwood division breaking the French line.

matt56's Avatar May you forever fly in blue skies.
    Major

Users Country Flag

Name
    Matt
    Sorties Flown

Oh, my goodness! Trafalgar!?!? That should certainly be a Sails record breaker for number of ships in play. Way to go, Neil and Co

All the best,
    Matt

All ships are Chris's. (Boney10/Cap'n Duff). All rigged. It looked fantastic and playe a lot faster than I thought.

All credit to Chris for putting this mammoth game on.

Neil

I would just like to thank everyone who played in the Whirlwind game and the surprise Desert game on the WWII table on Saturday for being jolly good sports, and for putting up with an occasionally flustered GM (around every 30 secs or so).
    In particularly Amy and Simon for their support and assistance in the first game, and Andy for murdering me repeatedly, as he did all the allied pilots, with his 110 in the second.

(note to self, when flying Hurricanes and a Kittyhawk against 109s and 110s, field a Beaufighter, no matter how much the Germans complain).

Hopefully I can get Amy to post the pictures she took during the whirlwind game.

Lest we forget

Thumbs up

I also want to say few words

1. First of all let me congratulate to Andy - his first place was very well deserved (I must know - I was playing with him as opponent almost all the weekend).
    2. I see an increasing level of organisation every year. Well done!
    3. I have a great feeling from Museum and it's staff - they are friendly and it is obvious they like to have there such group as we are.
    4. Today "Richthofen's Last Gig" was the best big game I've ever played in Doncaster. Very profesional, very friendly, very fun!
    5. Two tables in the main room are perfect.
    6. I see I was maybe too proud on our Prague scenario builders - UK Wing can generate an outstanding number of high original scenarios. Let me point at least Simon's Race of Death or John's using of Whirlwinds (that I want study at least a little now).

Well, one era ended today (inspiration through WWI), another (WWII) is knocking on the door. I can imagine how superb would be play Polish defence next year or Day of Eagle on 2020.

The only thing I'm hoping for right now is open my mailbox and find a badge with a white ribbon inside "...on a day that was so quiet and still on the whole front, that the army report confined itself to the single sentence: All quiet on the Western Front" on 11/11/18.
    Thank you dear friends.

So another weekend of fantastic gaming has passed (apologies for me rushing away on Saturday and thanks for the support guys) and we look forward to another fantastic weekend in 2019.

Thank you to all who put on games, the standard and variety were outstanding, to everyone who attended and enthusiastically took part and to Chris for stepping in with no notice and running the admin when I left. A special thank you to John Biggles for running a game with no prep time in place of my China 1938 game (Dare I chance it next year....3rd time lucky!).

Hope everyone got back to their home airfields and ports safely. See you all next year.

Neil

Quote Originally Posted by Dan-Sam View Post
    I also want to say few words

1. First of all let me congratulate to Andy - his first place was very well deserved (I must know - I was playing with him as opponent almost all the weekend).
    2. I see an increasing level of organisation every year. Well done!
    3. I have a great feeling from Museum and it's staff - they are friendly and it is obvious they like to have there such group as we are.
    4. Today "Richthofen's Last Gig" was the best big game I've ever played in Doncaster. Very profesional, very friendly, very fun!
    5. Two tables in the main room are perfect.
    6. I see I was maybe too proud on our Prague scenario builders - UK Wing can generate an outstanding number of high original scenarios. Let me point at least Simon's Race of Death or John's using of Whirlwinds (that I want study at least a little now).

Well, one era ended today (inspiration through WWI), another (WWII) is knocking on the door. I can imagine how superb would be play Polish defence next year or Day of Eagle on 2020.

The only thing I'm hoping for right now is open my mailbox and find a badge with a white ribbon inside "...on a day that was so quiet and still on the whole front, that the army report confined itself to the single sentence: All quiet on the Western Front" on 11/11/18.
    Thank you dear friends.
    Thanks for your kind words Dan, it is always an honour that you make the effort to come and see us each year. Thank you, and all of our competitors and friends from all over Britain and Europe - you make our event what it is.

Never Knowingly Undergunned !!

Hope everyone got home safe and sound, thanks to everyone for everything they did this weekend. I am so glad so many people had a great time.

I am just raising a glass to those good friends who were unable to join us this year for a variety of reasons (family, work, weddings, national security etc etc) - hopefully next year.

On that note if we wish to reconvene at Doncaster in 2019 then we would have to go one week later, i.e. the weekend of the 28th/29th/30th. However I know that there are a couple of possible alternatives being considered... but more of that later.

Cheers one and all

Never Knowingly Undergunned !!

Glad a good time was had by all. It was a shame to miss this year but as McArthur said (or was it Arnie?) I’ll be back. Look forward to few more pics.
    Run for your life - there are stupid people everywhere!

Looked like all had a good time.
    Simon: any chance of posting the rules for the Dead Race? An air race with guns is something I'd love to play )or run, if need be).

Quote Originally Posted by Guntruck View Post
    Glad a good time was had by all. It was a shame to miss this year but as McArthur said (or was it Arnie?) I’ll be back. Look forward to few more pics.
    What Steve says....just don't know which year.
    Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

Quote Originally Posted by Hedeby View Post
    Hope everyone got home safe and sound, thanks to everyone for everything they did this weekend. I am so glad so many people had a great time.

I am just raising a glass to those good friends who were unable to join us this year for a variety of reasons (family, work, weddings, national security etc etc) - hopefully next year.

On that note if we wish to reconvene at Doncaster in 2019 then we would have to go one week later, i.e. the weekend of the 28th/29th/30th. However I know that there are a couple of possible alternatives being considered... but more of that later.

Cheers one and all
    Self inflicted wound.
    Wasn't till I actually got home and was showing Mrs Rebel my prise that I remembered I could have chosen one of Matts' lovely custom made cases instead!
    Memory is definitely getting worse!
    Last edited by Rebel; 09-24-2018 at 09:32. Reason: Missing word.

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel View Post
    Self inflicted wound.
    Wasn't till I actually got home and was showing Mrs Rebel my prise that I remembered I could have chosen one of Matts' lovely custom made cases instead!
    Memory is definitely getting worse!
    I have two already, so left that choice for those who don't yet own one.
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Helmut View Post
    I have two already, so left that choice for those who don't yet own one.
    Thanks Tim! If that was to make me feel better it failed miserably!

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel View Post
    Thanks Tim! If that was to make me feel better it failed miserably!
    Well, I tried!!!!

You could always send Reg one of your dried frog pills Tim.
    Rob.

Name:  IMG_6802.jpg
Views: 327
Size:  167.7 KB

Bye the way, before anyone gets started, the reserved notice has nothing whatever to do with Tim.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

No you're correct! I've never noticed any reserve in our Tim.

Trafalgar looks fantastic. I would love to see it. You guys are amazing.

Here's to them what are like us. Damn few and they're all dead.

Jim, here is a pic of the panorama of Trafalgar, all bar 1 ship were Ares.

If you would like to see more you will have to look at the Sails of Glory Anchorage as I dont want to post much of sails on the Aerodrome

Thanks Chris amazing job.

Here's to them what are like us. Damn few and they're all dead.

In the Ace of Aces game on Sunday morning it was Fokker DR.1's versus Sopwith Camels. Flying Officer Kyte started off in his special 'Sopwith Camel'.

Name:  DSC02140.jpg
Views: 309
Size:  155.7 KB

If anyone else has photos of the weekend please publish them here.

Neil

A great weekend with many a laugh and a great game of Exploding Kittens on Friday night. Ask Mystic Meg Tim
    From being Ace of aces last year I plummeted ( literally due to 4 big score collisions ) to the owner of the wooden spoon
    Role on 2019

I'm learning to fly, but I ain't got wings
    Coming down is the hardest thing

I wish to thank the organizes of this years event as it seem to flow very easily from one game to another, and all the GM for there great games.

Dan it does help when you play against opponents that are improving every year which make you play better.

I wish to thank John for giving me my favourite axis airplane the BF110 which helped greatly with my scoring.

I would like to thank all the organisers for their dedication in producing their planned games, and also their ingenuity in providing fill-in games off the cuff!

Special thanks to Chris Hedeby, who took on the task of running the Ace of Aces game on Sunday, after Neil had been called away.

It was not the same (never could be, without our Neil!) but Chris did a magnificent job of filling Neil's shoes on the day.

And thanks to Neil for introducing me to "Exploding Kittens" on Friday night. I will be buying this from "Entoyment" on Saturday (not just because I won 3 out of the 4 games, but mostly because I laughed so much I almost exploded!).

Another convert. Imploding kittens next year.

I would like to thank all the organisers for their dedication in producing their planned games, and also their ingenuity in providing fill-in games off the cuff!

Special thanks to Chris Hedeby, who took on the task of running the Ace of Aces game on Sunday, after Neil had been called away.

It was not the same (never could be, without our Neil!) but Chris did a magnificent job of filling Neil's shoes on the day.

And thanks to Neil for introducing me to "Exploding Kittens" on Friday night. I will be buying this from "Entoyment" on Saturday (not just because I won 3 out of the 4 games, but mostly because I laughed so much I almost exploded!).
    Saw that one coming

And a special thank you to Guus for those wonderful "Luftwaffel" biscuits he was passing round during A of A

Quote Originally Posted by Skafloc View Post
    Another convert. Imploding kittens next year.
    Or Cards against Humanity....
    Run for your life - there are stupid people everywhere!

Did you foresee this in your future?

It sounds like you all had a great time, hopefully I can make the event next year, who knows what the future will bring.

Quote Originally Posted by Vagabond View Post
    It sounds like you all had a great time, hopefully I can make the event next year, who knows what the future will bring.
    Well Tim (Flying Helmut) might after his game of exploding kittens

Here are a few more random pictures from the games played on Saturday whilst I was involved in Trafalgar in the other room.

Rob.

Name:  IMG_6782.jpg
Views: 266
Size:  158.0 KB

Name:  IMG_6785.jpg
Views: 276
Size:  155.5 KB

Name:  IMG_6783.jpg
Views: 253
Size:  157.1 KB

Name:  IMG_6784.jpg
Views: 254
Size:  151.2 KB

Name:  IMG_6786.jpg
Views: 256
Size:  169.4 KB

Name:  IMG_6788.jpg
Size:  159.8 KB

Name:  IMG_6790.jpg
Views: 258
Size:  159.2 KB

Name:  IMG_6791.jpg
Size:  154.5 KB

Name:  IMG_6793.jpg
Views: 248
Size:  126.0 KB

Name:  IMG_6796.jpg
Size:  176.6 KB

Name:  IMG_6799.jpg
Views: 249
Size:  163.3 KB

Still surprised how well could be a common digfight over desert balanced. It was a pleasure to play a "standard" mission of "get them down" mission

Not sure about "well balanced" Dan,
    all cannon armed aircraft for the Germans, all machine guns for the Brits even if they were AB/BBB.
    Lots more 0s in a B deck.

Lest we forget

Nice random snaps Rob - keep 'em coming chaps !

"He is wise who watches"

Quote Originally Posted by johnbiggles View Post
    all cannon armed aircraft for the Germans, all machine guns for the Brits even if they were AB/BBB.
    Undestand what you think, but my feeling was different. Personaly, I shot 3 planes down and was beaten also there times. I did not have a bad feeling from Me.110.

A Kyte's eye view.

Sunday's Ace of Aces.

Name:  IMG_6803.jpg
Views: 234
Size:  162.8 KB

The would be Aces gather.

Name:  IMG_6805.jpg
Views: 281
Size:  145.5 KB
    Daniel is awarded the Red Baron and as luck would have it faces his arch rival and our hero Snoopy.

Name:  IMG_6806.jpg
Views: 255
Size:  179.9 KB
    A short prayer follows.

Name:  IMG_6808.jpg
Views: 236
Size:  131.8 KB
    The first cards draw the dreaded bang as John Biggles is taken out by his own kith and kin. It is a cruel war.

Name:  IMG_6809.jpg
Views: 236
Size:  152.5 KB
    Meanwhile Snoopy follows Hedaby's mantra.
    "You cant jam if you ram."

"Take that Red Baron."

Name:  IMG_6810.jpg
Views: 255
Size:  175.1 KB
    As he slips away,three Germans try the same trick.
    Unfortunately they tried practicing on each other.
    Got a mantra for that one Chris?

Name:  IMG_6811.jpg
Views: 235
Size:  176.0 KB

The Eagles now decide Snoopy is getting too successful.

Name:  IMG_6812.jpg
Views: 225
Size:  180.8 KB

At last the Baron is down, but our hero is gone too ambushed by three Germans.

Name:  IMG_6813.jpg
Views: 232
Size:  200.9 KB

Enter F.O. Kyte in his well known Camel.

Name:  IMG_6814.jpg
Views: 231
Size:  146.8 KB

A bit of firing practice here.

Name:  IMG_6815.jpg
Views: 221
Size:  184.0 KB

Touche! Good job it was a 0 and a 1.

Wot! not on fire yet Kyte.

Name:  IMG_6816.jpg
Views: 242
Size:  180.6 KB

Lets try a bit of circling practice then.

What is all the disturbance over yonder?

Name:  IMG_6817.jpg
Views: 221
    Good grief young Albert Ball is finally downed.

Name:  IMG_6818.jpg
Views: 216
Size:  192.7 KB

This calls for some more target practice.

Name:  IMG_6819.jpg
Views: 210
Size:  178.8 KB
    Take that sir!

Name:  IMG_6820.jpg
Views: 211
Size:  187.8 KB

And that!

Name:  IMG_6821.jpg
Views: 205
Size:  180.7 KB

Oops! got a bit too close that time.

Maybe I should see what else is going on.

Name:  IMG_6822.jpg
Views: 206
Size:  160.4 KB

Not a lot there then.

Name:  IMG_6823.jpg
Views: 214

Looks a bit more like it here.

Name:  IMG_6824.jpg
Views: 194
Size:  156.9 KB

And here.

Name:  IMG_6825.jpg
Views: 201
Size:  188.2 KB

Are yes a chase in progress.

Name:  IMG_6826.jpg
Views: 205
Size:  211.4 KB

Let's lend a hand here.

Name:  IMG_6827.jpg
Size:  211.1 KB

Nice one. Come on lads.

Name:  IMG_6827.jpg
Size:  211.1 KB

What do you mean the game's over and I have to do the prizes Chris?
    I was just starting to enjoy myself.

Please note that no Beagles were hurt during the shooting of this report, although there was a lot of shooting and many fine reports.
    Kyte.
    Last edited by Flying Officer Kyte; 09-26-2018 at 06:25.

Quote Originally Posted by johnbiggles View Post
    The cannon are perfectly balanced by 'B' machine guns, as laid out by Sven a few years back..............

Here is a short overview and statistic of the used WGS damage tokens:
    (New Rules & Accessoires Pack)

Number of Tokens:

•A = 72
    •B = 60
    •C = 60
    •D = 60

Damage & Quantity of A damage tokens:

•0 = 19x
    •1 = 19x
    •2 = 20x
    •3 = 10x
    •4 = 3x
    •Explosions = 1x

Damage & Quantity of B damage tokens:

•0 = 10x ................ actually lots more zeros in a 'C' deck than in a 'B' - more than twice as many!
    •1 = 7x
    •2 = 12x
    •3 = 9x
    •4 = 8x
    •5 = 6x
    •6 = 3x
    •7 = 2x
    •8 = 2x
    •Explosions = 1x

Damage & Quantity of C damage tokens:

•0 = 25x ................ actually lots more zeros in a 'C' deck than in a 'B' - more than twice as many!
    •1 = 7x
    •3 = 12x
    •5 = 10x
    •6 = 7x
    •8 = 5x
    •Explosions = 1x

Damage & Quantity of D damage tokens:

•0 = 26x
    •5 = 10x
    •8 = 6x
    •10 = 6x
    •12 = 6x
    •15 = 2x
    •18 = 2x
    •Explosions = 2x

Quantity of Special Damages:

A - B - C

Engine = 2x
    Fire = 1x
    Pilot = 2x
    Smoke = 2x
    Rudder = 4x
    Explosions = 1x

D

Engine = 2x
    Fire = 1x
    Pilot = 2x
    Smoke = 2x
    Rudder = 4x
    Explosions = 2x

Complete damage points of one token set:

•A = 101
    •B = 168
    •C = 168 ........ 'B' exactly equals 'C'
    •D = 296

Damage per Token:

•A = 1,4
    •B = 2,8
    •C = 2,8 ........ 'B' exactly equals 'C'
    •D = 4,9

Chance to draw a "zero" damage token:

•A = 26,3%
    •B = 16,6%
    •C = 41,6%
    •D = 43,3%

This should be written in some FAQ or Wiki, what do you think, Tim?

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte View Post
    Here are a few more random pictures from the games played on Saturday whilst I was involved in Trafalgar in the other room.

Rob.

Name:  IMG_6782.jpg
Views: 266
Size:  158.0 KB

Name:  IMG_6785.jpg
Views: 276
Size:  155.5 KB

Name:  IMG_6783.jpg
Views: 253
Size:  157.1 KB

Name:  IMG_6784.jpg
Size:  151.2 KB

Name:  IMG_6786.jpg
Views: 256

Name:  IMG_6788.jpg
Size:  159.8 KB

Name:  IMG_6790.jpg
Views: 258
Size:  159.2 KB

Name:  IMG_6791.jpg
Size:  154.5 KB

Name:  IMG_6793.jpg
Size:  126.0 KB

Name:  IMG_6796.jpg
Size:  176.6 KB

Name:  IMG_6799.jpg
Views: 249
    Not wanting to contradict the Wing Commander but the first few are from the Friday "The Tide Turns" (nothing to do with Sails) game.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Missions

1. Doncaster 2018
    By Lt. S.Kafloc in forum Doncaster 2018
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 09-02-2018, 03:39
  2. National Doncaster 2018
    By Lt. S.Kafloc in forum UK Wing
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 05-24-2018, 15:37
  3. Doncaster 2018 Raffle 1
    By Lt. S.Kafloc in forum UK Wing