Ares Games

Thread: OTT BE Mission 24: The Cornered Beast Strikes Back - {Vagabond}

Default OTT BE Mission 24: The Cornered Beast Strikes Back - {Vagabond}

OTT BE Mission 24: The Cornered Beast Strikes Back - {Vagabond}

OK listen up lads, quiet now, I know you are all excited about the new Sopwith Snipes that are coming, but there’s good and some bad news.

It all went quiet at the mention of bad news.

We are going to get them but not just now, 24 Squadron has received the first batch on our sector, and then it really went quiet. We were sharing the field with 24 Squadron, we would never hear the end of it.

Lt John Kane the flight CO was briefing what was left of his flight after the last 2 missions, indeed ‘C’ Flights only missions. Their squadron was newly raised in England and they had only recently arrived in France, he felt they were doing OK, they had suffered a couple of pilots shot down but they had not lost anyone, he hadn’t had to write any of those “your son died bravely” letters yet, although deep down he knew that was inevitable.

He was himself recovering from wounds sustained from their first mission when he had been shot down in flames, he was still having nightmares about that, but otherwise physically recovering fast and was hoping to be leading the flight in the air soon.
    Indeed after 2 missions the 6 pilots of C Flight were down to only 2 currently reporting fit for duty, the other 4 including himself were recovering from wounds, although two of them were also at the briefing as they were close to being declared fit for duty. His flight had quite a high attrition rate but one that showed courage which he was proud of, as well as a bit of bad flying and inexperience which he kept quiet about.

Right then – as you know the Hun pilots have been having a field day because we are putting so many new pilots into the air, they are having a bit of an easy ride because their veterans are successfully able to maintain a high kill rate against us. Our top Brass have been having a good think about this and have come up with a jolly good plan to turn the tables on them.

You could hear a pin drop now. Whenever the top Brass started thinking, casualties went up exponentially.

They have decided that if we set bait, the Germans will take it, so one flight will be the bait or as they call it, the anvil and the other flight will fly high and be the hammer, so when the Germans jump the bait, the hammer will hit the Germans, crushing them against the anvil.

Humm that sounded reasonable, until he went on ‘C’ flight in our old Camels will be the anvil and A flight from 24 Squadron in the new Snipes will be the hammer. There was a bit of a hubbub after that.

Cremetti you will lead C flight with Will Clarke and we have a new man joining us, I believe his name is D’Arcy, try and look after him and don’t let him get lost up there, it’s his first flight, I would let him acclimatize a bit but there’s no one else fit to fly and you take off in 30 minutes.

Off you go gentlemen.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	001 P1400178 800.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	214.1 KB 
ID:	254528
    PIC01
    C Flight in the air, bait or Anvil, we’ll see. Text relating to the picture is below it.

Max Cremetti leading the flight was shot down in his first mission, wounded twice and walked away from it, recovering fast, only missing one mission before being back in the air. He’s a bit of a hard man and doesn’t take kindly to the ribbing about the Italian Ice Cream Concession, just because one of his ancestors was Italian doesn’t mean he ever sold ice cream.

William Clarke is flying his 2nd mission, in the first he fired on a red Fokker Dr1 and set it on fire but George Du Cray finished the job and claimed the kill, Wills engine got shot up and he had to return to base prematurely so he feels he has something to prove here.

Samuel D’Arcy, is also fed up with the ribbing his name generates as well, he will probably get on famously with Cremetti if they survive long enough. I am flying as D’Arcy, Rookie suits my proficiency level.

Name:	002 P1400181 800.jpg 
Size:	191.2 KB 
ID:	254529
    PIC02
    My new Fokker DVII’s, these have been specially bought, built and painted for this game although not personalised yet, they are near to completion after a lot of help and advice from Tim (Flying Helmet).
    None of the pilots have made a kill yet, and even though they are flying using Peters veteran AI system I think this had some impact on the game.

Name:	003 P1400177 800.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	140.3 KB 
ID:	254530
    PIC03
    The relative position of the two flights.

Name:	004 P1400180 800.jpg 
Size:	217.3 KB 
ID:	254531
    PIC04
    D’Arcy looked over his shoulder when Cremetti rocked his wings and pointed. Hell's Teeth, 4 of the deadliest looking planes he had ever seen were coming straight at him. Which way would his flight leader go, he’d been given strict instructions to stay with him, and was almost as worried about that instruction as he was about the 4 planes bearing down on him. Almost!

Name:	005 P1400184 800.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	155.2 KB 
ID:	254532
    PIC05
    They both did an Immelmann turn in perfect synchronisation, Will Clarke on the right of the flight used the Camels notorious tight turning circle to break to starboard as the Fokker’s came straight at them, although Gunther jinked right and then left, just trying out the controls before the fight I guess.

Name:	006 P1400183 800.jpg 
Size:	198.2 KB 
ID:	254533
    PIC06
    D’Arcy and Gunther opened fire together, what luck for the Rookie he’s set fire to Gunther's plane with his opening shots of his war. Gunther does little damage in return.

Almost immediately I realised having just done an Immelmann turn he couldn’t fire, damn!

Relief that my new DVII wasn’t going down in flames and annoyance, as I was flying as D’Arcy.

Name:	007 P1400185 800.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	187.0 KB 
ID:	254534
    PIC07
    Will Clarke is coming round tight with the whirling pack of planes in sight, and where all hell is about to break loose.

Name:	008 P1400188 800.jpg 
Size:	219.8 KB 
ID:	254535
    PIC08
    Gunther and D’Arcy have flown past each other over in the distance but D’Arcy has opened fire on Hans Scharon’s Blue Fokker, the bullets hit the engine block, damaging his engine, it starts to stutter. Hans completely misses from point blank range and will have to leave for home with his engine coughing and spluttering, a bad start for the Fokker Flight but a second good start for D’Arcy.
    Dirk Unger fired at long range on Cremetti who was himself busy knocking the stuffing out of Otto Boy’s plane, causing a lot of damage.

Name:	009 P1400187 800.jpg 
Size:	239.2 KB 
ID:	254536
    PIC09
    This is a slightly clearer shot of the action. Hans Scharon later claimed he missed the sitting target of D’Arcy because he was trying to avoid hitting Gunther. No one else believed him then, either.

Name:	010 P1400190 800.jpg 
Size:	206.7 KB 
ID:	254537
    PIC10
    Will is still coming round but not so tight as before, must be getting dizzy, however he’s in a good position.

Name:	011 P1400191 800.jpg 
Size:	243.1 KB 
ID:	254538
    PIC11
    The next move he is in the perfect place and opens fire with a long burst, damaging Otto’s plane badly. Otto at this point is seriously wondering how much more damage his plane can take.
    Cremetti and Dirk Unger nearly collide, they are too close to fire, and D’Arcy seems to have forgotten his instructions in the heat of battle and is pulling round in a tight right handed turn, determined to inflict more damage on the enemy.

At this point I had 6 planes in a square foot of space!!!

Name:	012 P1400194 800.jpg 
Size:	243.5 KB 
ID:	254539
    PIC12
    Will Clarke is still on the tail of Otto’s red Fokker and he sets it alight, with a plus 1 for the 2nd shot on the trot. Well I guess that answers Otto’s questions regarding the plane, not much more.
    Over in the distance D’Arcy has carried on turning and blazes away at Scharon’s plane inflicting more damage. This kids really going for the kill.
    It’s not very clear but Gunther has Immelmanned and is flying straight back at Dirk Unger, this could get messy.

Name:	013 P1400195 800.jpg 
Size:	176.8 KB 
ID:	254540
    PIC13
    Otto is in trouble.

Name:	014 P1400196 800.jpg 
Size:	199.3 KB 
ID:	254541
    PIC14
    A slightly better shot to show Gunther and Dirk flying straight at one another.

D’Arcy I believe is in a target rich environment, or as it would have been known back then, as, a hell of a lot of Huns in the air.

Name:	015 P1400197 800.jpg 
Size:	237.0 KB 
ID:	254542
    PIC15
    Next turn Dirk Unger misses Gunther but does an Immelmann and is now right behind him. Otto and D’Arcy both pull tight turns and end up facing each other, Otto ignores the flames and opens fire on D’Arcy at long range causing a small amount of damage but D’A fires at Dirks Blue plane, missing, he’s obviously distracted by Otto’s shooting.
    Will Clarke and Gunther trade shots, both damaging the others plane and Will feels his rudder controls go slack.

Name:	016 P1400200 800.jpg 
Size:	141.8 KB 
ID:	254543
    PIC16
    Is this close formation flying or incompetence? They are a fraction off colliding.

Name:	017 P1400199 800.jpg 
Size:	136.9 KB 
ID:	254544
    PIC17
    At the start of a new turn Otto has to draw a card to see what damage the fire is doing.

Name:	018 P1400203 800.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	181.2 KB 
ID:	254545
    PIC18
    That’s not good, there’s a loud explosion as his fuel tank blows.

Name:	019 P1400204 800.jpg 
Size:	203.6 KB 
ID:	254546
    PIC19
    And he hits the deck.

Name:	020 P1400206 800.jpg 
Size:	216.1 KB 
ID:	254547
    PIC20
    OK – a quick recap with all the extra junk off the table. I ended up leaving the movement cards down so I could follow what the hell was going on, there were too many planes in to small a space, I couldn’t believe there hadn’t been any collisions but that was all about to change.

Hans in the distance is flying home, Will Clarke after shooting down Otto has swung to port, Gunther is wildly looking over his shoulder, wondering what Unger is up to, pleased he’s not an enemy plane but wondering if his ally is going to kill them both anyway, so no consolation there. Unger I’m sure is thinking, which way is that damn red Fokker going to go, so I can go the other way. Teaticket has a lot to answer for here and both these pilots want answers.
    D’Arcy I know was thinking, I can’t miss next time.
    Cremetti – well I’ve no idea what he was thinking, he’s out of the picture to the left and flying away from the action, Flash can probably come up with an answer to that as I’m using his A.I. for the Entente pilots. (He’ll probably blame my dice rolling )

OK back to the mayhem.

Name:	021 P1400210 800.jpg 
Size:	150.2 KB 
ID:	254548
    PIC21
    Here comes the cavalry or hammer or whatever. They arrived early and in the same corner as the Fokker’s had come from. Two new Snipes and a Camel.

Name:	022 P1400212 800.jpg 
Size:	230.0 KB 
ID:	254549
    PIC22
    Dirk and Gunther both swing hard right and Gunther runs straight in to Will Clarke, it had to happen sooner or later, I didn’t get a pic of the damage but Will got away with 2 damage but Gunther’s plane was a mess, 6 damage points.

I decided D’Arcy wouldn’t shoot for fear of hitting his own man.

Name:	023 P1400213 800.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	175.0 KB 
ID:	254550
    PIC23
    Scharon – engine stuttering making his way back to the field.

Name:	024 P1400215 800.jpg 
Size:	229.6 KB 
ID:	254551
    PIC24
    Dirk Unger and Gunther finally separated and I’m not sure what happened with Will Clarke, he was last seen under Gunther’s plane going in the same direction but here is going in the opposite direction, I think I must have used his card the wrong way, unless he Immelmanned and I missed it. Hey Ho.

Name:	025 P1400216 800.jpg 
Size:	188.8 KB 
ID:	254552
    PIC25
    Cremetti has Immelmanned and is flying back with 24th Squadron planes. Looks like he’s on a collision course with the Snipe flown by Parke.

Name:	026 P1400221 800.jpg 
Size:	223.8 KB 
ID:	254553
    PIC26
    Sure enough they touch wings but luckily cause no damage. Gunther gets the worst of the exchange with Tatham in the new Sprite and Gunther now has 14 points of damage and decides to head for home. Tatham has a damaged rudder and can’t turn to port and follow.

Name:	027 P1400219 800.jpg 
Size:	224.6 KB 
ID:	254554
    PIC27
    Will and D’Arcy nearly collide when Will does and Immelmann to return to the fight.

Name:	028 P1400222 800.jpg 
Size:	221.8 KB 
ID:	254555
    PIC28
    Another near miss in the air, there are just too many British planes in too small and area, this is going to end badly for someone.

Name:	029 P1400224 800.jpg 
Size:	165.7 KB 
ID:	254556
    PIC29
    Unger has had enough, he’s the only Fokker in flying condition and he heads off after Scharon in the distance.

Name:	030 P1400226 800.jpg 
Size:	226.8 KB 
ID:	254557
    PIC30
    Yet another near miss.

Name:	031 P1400227 800.jpg 
Size:	219.7 KB 
ID:	254558
    PIC31
    Final shot before the white flare went up calling the action off and everyone headed home.

Name:	032 P1400229 800.jpg 
Size:	166.8 KB 
ID:	254559
    PIC32
    Hans Scharon FRTB (eng) - 0 Kills
    Dirk Unger RTB - 0 Kills

Name:	033 P1400231 800.jpg 
Size:	147.0 KB 
ID:	254560
    PIC33
    Otto Boy SD – EXP – FT 0 Kills
    Rolled 8 -3 EXP = 5 Injured – Skip 1D3 Scenarios – Rolled 3 skip 2 Scenarios.

Gunther Ehmann FRTB (dam) 0 Kills

Name:	034 P1400233 800.jpg 
Size:	143.9 KB 
ID:	254561
    PIC34
    C Flight
    Max Cremetti RTB - 0 Kills
    Samuel D’Arcy RTB - 0 Kills
    William Clarke RTB – 1 Kill (Otto Boy)

Name:	035 P1400232 800.jpg 
Size:	163.2 KB 
ID:	254562
    PIC35
    A Flight 24 Squadron
    Lawrence Tatham RTB – 0 Kills
    Norman Parkes RTB – 0 Kills
    Thomas Broadhurst RTB – 0 Kills

Well it started off fast and furious and sort of drizzled out, no wounds, no jams and attrition to the planes causing the Germans to break off and the engagement to fade away.

I found having 7 planes milling about in a very small area difficult to keep track of but the risk of collision seemed to increase once the majority of the planes were all on the same side.

Thanks to Peter for a frenetic scenario.
    Last edited by Vagabond; 09-27-2018 at 05:50. Reason: Prefix Added

That looked far bloodier than it was. Well done with the diaroma too. How did you make the walls to your mat?

Lovely AAR John, think you've got the hang of it Lovely job on the planes & scenic's too.
    Now in answer to this question
    Cremetti – well I’ve no idea what he was thinking, he’s out of the picture to the left and flying away from the action, Flash can probably come up with an answer to that as I’m using his A.I. for the Entente pilots. (He’ll probably blame my dice rolling )
    Hard to tell from what is displayed here but going over the photos it looks like he stalled (12-1 closing) between pic 10 & 11, then played a sideslip left in pic 12 & would have played another long move after that. He should then have selected either a 6-7 moving Away, or 4-5 Moving Away. 6-7 likely selected as pic 25 has him Immelled.
    These machines can part company pretty quick when travelling in opposite directions. The alternative could be to have targeted Otto Boy and plotted on 8-9 Moving Away as that's about where he might be on the next movement which would have got Max turning left but always a risk when there's a follow up plane.

Uncle says:

Well done chaps, only knocked one down but shot up the others and gave them a scare, so good show - that'll make them think twice before jumping on our chaps.
    Last edited by flash; 09-20-2018 at 11:03.

Sapiens qui vigilat... "He is wise who watches"

Quote Originally Posted by Baxter View Post
    That looked far bloodier than it was. Well done with the diaroma too. How did you make the walls to your mat?
    Hi Gary, yep I thought the same and it was only when it was drawing to a close that I though " well everyone survived, mainly by flying home rather than walking.

The walls are Peco railway backgrounds, I've seen Flying Helmet use them when he posts his plane paint pictures and Teaticket used something similar on this post quite recently, look near the end.

https://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/sh...056#post483056

Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post
    Now in answer to this question

Hard to tell from what is displayed here but going over the photos it looks like he stalled (12-1 closing) between pic 10 & 11, then played a sideslip left in pic 12 & would have played another long move after that. He should then have selected either a 6-7 moving Away, or 4-5 Moving Away. 6-7 likely selected as pic 25 has him Immelled.
    These machines can part company pretty quick when travelling in opposite directions. The alternative could be to have targeted Otto Boy and plotted on 8-9 Moving Away as that's about where he might be on the next movement which would have got Max turning left but always a risk when there's a follow up plane.
    Dave - I'm sorry I was only using the comment to make people smile, it was not a serious question or criticism of your A.I. which I think work excellently. Of course you are probably winding me up and I'm falling for it.
    Cheers and I'm pleased you enjoyed the game report.

Now for game 25.

Thumbs up

Great AAR John. Loved the Intro to the mission.
    Well done to your lads & the Rookies.
    Me thinks young D'arcy looks a promising pilot.
    Should be playing this one tomorrow morning so I will have to look out for those collisions
    Rep Inbound.

Terrific job, John.
    I can't believe that there was only one aircraft lost - it looked much more than that!

And speaking of looks ...

Your new Fokkers look fantastic.
    And your background really blends well with your mat for really good pictures.

I always enjoy reading your AARs - looking forward to the next one.
    REP definitely due for this splendid effort.

Setarius's Avatar May you forever fly in blue skies
    Users Country Flag

Name
    Dale
    Sorties Flown

Nicely done John. Close quarters combat will cause some interesting results, not only do you have to watch out for your guys you have to be aware of the enemy as well.
    Like everyone else I also like you backdrops around the edge of the board.
    Keep up the good work.

Barry, I wish you hadn't said that about D'Arcy, the last one of my pilots who got praised was shot down in the following game . Ah well it's done now, I can order the flowers.

Pete thanks for the complement for the Fokkers, I just need to sort out the personal pilot markings and they are done.
    The game was over really quickly only 4 or 5 turns and 2 pages of notes, whereas the last one was about 18 turns and 10 pages of notes. It just shows what a couple of lucky shots can do.

Dale you are right, it got very confusing in the grand melee, much more danger of collisions than being shot towards the end.
    The back drops I used are only 9" high, so I've had to crop some photos but I was quite pleased with the results, if I'd known I was going to do this I could have made the edges of my mat to blend a bit better with the backdrop.
    The next idea I want to borrow is Pete's hanger and airfield when he does the Butcher's Bill, I think that looks good.

Cheers all

Great looking Fokkers there John. It appears your lads are getting the hang of it now.

And regarding collisions, try some altitude rules and they don't occur anywhere near as often.

Thanks John, that was a lot of fun to read. Mayhem and madness in a furball - great stuff. Like your mat and backdrop (think I said that last time too), photos are excellent and your repaints are lovely (you have a good mentor in Tim )
    REP inbound. Mike

Mike thanks for the thumbs up on the paint jobs, I've still not finished them but thinking about it. The background is new for this game, trying to keep up with the trend setters on here.

Carl I'm sure your right about the altitude, I've not tried it yet and am not sure how it works with the A.I. systems, but I need to investigate it.

Cheers
    Last edited by Vagabond; 10-02-2018 at 08:51.

Amazing that with all that action only one plane was lost. Quite different than most have done with this mission.

Well done for D'Arcy, another rookie that kept his head.

Similar Missions

1. Replies: 13
    Last Post: 11-22-2018, 11:44
  2. AAR OTT BE Mission 24: The Cornered Beast Strikes Back
    By mikeemagnus in forum Over the Trenches
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 11-19-2018, 10:25
  3. Replies: 12
    Last Post: 11-15-2018, 18:38
  4. Replies: 9
    Last Post: 11-15-2018, 18:23
  5. BRF OTTBE Mission 24: The Cornered Beast Strikes Back - by teaticket