Ares Games

Thread: A blast from the past

Default A blast from the past

In preparation for the release of the new "Tripods and Triplanes" expansion, I thought I would re-examine why the British failed to use rockets in WW1, I discovered that the most "High-Tec" weapon that the Admiralty/ RFC were experimenting with were called "Ranken darts" I've heard of Flechettes (Heavy metal darts, dropped out of the plane by hand), But "Ranken darts" were air-dropped one pound explosive incendiary flechette-styled missile-shaped bombs, which were usually carried in packs of 24; (The darts could be dropped individually or all at once), Then after more research I came across the plane designed to carry the weapon into action,

Name:  TB.jpg
Views: 271
Size:  93.9 KBName:  TB1.jpg
Views: 290
Size:  77.0 KB

The "Twin Blackburn" an Anti-Zeppelin fighter no less, It's Introduction to the war was in 1916, to be flown by the Royal Naval Air Service, it was one of the most specialized aircraft ever constructed by Great Britain, This due to the heavy Zeppelin raids of the winter of 1914–15, The British Admiralty issued a requirement for a two-seat aircraft with long endurance and the capability to attack Zeppelins, a second requirement of the new machine was the ability to carry the new incendiary Ranken darts, the design was to be able to fly above the Zeppelin and drop Ranken darts onto the airships in the hope of igniting their gas envelopes,

The Admiralty placed an order for nine Blackburn TBs, in March 1915, The "Twin Blackburn" or "TB" was a seaplane with twin fuselages, situated 10 feet apart, with the pilot in one fuselage and the observer in the other, having no means of communication other than hand signals. Each of the twin fuselages was a wooden structure with fabric covering, with a tractor engine in front of each fuselage, it was intended that the TB would be powered by two 150 hp (112 kW) Smith Static radial engines, but due to the unsuitability of these engines (lack of power), two Gnome Monosoupape 9 Type B-2 engines were mounted.

The TB first took to the air in August 1915. Alas the TB still had a lack of power, as a result the aircraft was unable to climb above 8,000 feet with the required three canisters (72 darts) of Ranken darts. So they removed one of the canisters, reducing the number of darts to 48, In the hope of improving performance of the TB the decision was taken to yet again replace the engines with, 110 hp (80 kW) Clerget engines, this still left the TB with insufficient power, seven of the nine TB's where delivered to the Royal Naval Air Service, four served at RNAS Killingholme, where they saw almost no action.

The TB was retired from service in 1917, all nine machines were broken up, Blackburn's first multi-engine plane had been a total failure, failing to bring down a single Zeppelin.

Name:  blackburn-tb-1915-england.gif
Views: 252
Size:  46.7 KB

Name:  nl155_Rankin_darts__Flechettes_CC_052_00001_1_-_Copy_455x800.jpg
Views: 392
Size:  202.8 KB
    The 9inch long tin tube explosive darts (above) designed by Lt Cdr Francis Ranken RN have a cast iron point and at the other end an aluminium cap retaining three spring arms and a rubber over-cap which acts as a parachute when dropped. The sprung arms act as a grapnel on the skin of the airship whilst the body continues falling drawing the phosphorus igniter up the igniter tube to cause a flame which explodes the charge and causes a shower of sparks from the coarse black powder in the top designed to help ignite the hydrogen blowing through the burst fabric as it mixes with the air. 24 x 13 ounce darts in each container can be dropped in a sequence or together.

Source: www.KingstonAviation.org - Sopwith Day by Day 1915 (Scroll way down to 11th October)

PS: Not sure this would be effective against armoured Tripods. Now, if they had High Explosive Squash Head (HESH) armour spalling devices (developed in the 1940s), it would be nasty. Still, perhaps petrol and phosphorus could light up a Tripod.
    Last edited by OldGuy59; 10-03-2018 at 19:27.
    Mike
    "Flying is learning to throw yourself at the ground and miss" Douglas Adams
    "Wings of Glory won't skin your elbows and knees while practicing." OldGuy59

Thumbs up

Thanks Drew & Mike for those fascinating pieces of info.
    I had heard of the Rankin Dart but that is the first time I have ever heard or seen that Twin Blackburn.

What an amazing looking machine, shame it was so crap ! Mind you, for the purposes of TnT it could be re-imagined with later more powerful engines & made to work for - wouldn't fancy its chances much though !

Sapiens qui vigilat... "He is wise who watches"

Within the Tripods game, I would see these as one or two per plane, not a bundle of 24. Unless we were using medium, or large, bombers. I suspect they didn't have anything until late 1915 that could lift a bundle of 24 (The Caproni Ca.1 started arriving on the front in August 1915).
    Mike
    "Flying is learning to throw yourself at the ground and miss" Douglas Adams
    "Wings of Glory won't skin your elbows and knees while practicing." OldGuy59

matt56's Avatar May you forever fly in blue skies.
    Major

Users Country Flag

Name
    Matt
    Sorties Flown

Interesting concept for the Ranken Dart...like Mike, I'm not sure it would work against the tripods without some design improvements. But I like the idea of the grapple catching on the Zeppelin's surface as the explosive charge falls further into the 'bag' to explode

Great esoterica here

All the best,
    Matt

It is certainly food for thought.

We could also bring back the Kettering Bug!

Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

What an interesting (and weird) aircraft. Possible the first "Zwilling" planes. rOEN911 (Antonis) make a pic of a fictional Sopwith Triplane Zwilling:
    https://www.deviantart.com/roen911/a...thon-274918497
    and I never thought a real WW1 one would be there
    I wonder if it would have done better without the weight and drag of the floats.

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte View Post
    It is certainly food for thought.

We could also bring back the Kettering Bug!

Rob.
    Against Zeppelins or tripods? How about wire-guides bugs against either?

Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

Is it me or does Rankin Dart sound like a Reggae singer?

Never Knowingly Undergunned !!

You might be right Name:  imagesAF69QGC4.jpg
Views: 201
Size:  61.4 KBQUOTE=Hedeby;484761]Is it me or does Rankin Dart sound like a Reggae singer?[/QUOTE]
    Last edited by Flying Officer Kyte; 10-05-2018 at 01:58.

Does anyone know how heavy a bundle of 24 Rankin Darts was? I have seen accounts where a B.E.2c could carry one bundle in the fuselage.

Quote Originally Posted by Naharaht View Post
    Does anyone know how heavy a bundle of 24 Rankin Darts was? I have seen accounts where a B.E.2c could carry one bundle in the fuselage.
    The darts weighed a pound each David so that plus the weight of the box they came in - so 30lb tops maybe ?

Sapiens qui vigilat... "He is wise who watches"

Thanks for the info. I’d never heard of that before.

They might be good against the tiny scout Martians. But loses to the bomber force would probably be quite high. Maybe one cluster slung under a fighter to be used hit and run style?

Nice work never heard of this aircraft. Love this information.

Good overview. I had heard of both the Rankin dart & the Twin Blackburn, but the existence of both had slipped my mind. Overall, air-to-air bombing was of limited effectiveness (tried in both World war), but really, it's a case of "you do what you can with what you've got". Certainly worked for Flt Sub LT Warneford.

Similar Missions

1. Ever tried that gem, chaps? It is a blast, I swear.
    By Nightbomber in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-12-2017, 23:15
  2. NSWC - A Blast from the Past
    By Zoe Brain in forum Australian Wing
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 01-26-2016, 06:30
  3. South England Blast-tastic in Bristol, Saturday October 3rd
    By NeilCFord in forum UK Wing
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 10-05-2015, 09:07
  4. Blast -- What Did I Just Step In?
    By csadn in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 09-27-2015, 07:53
  5. A blast of 100! To the bar Gents & Ladies!
    By Nightbomber in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 11-27-2011, 05:23