Ares Games

Thread: Movement whilst on fire.

Default Movement whilst on fire.

In the rules it says if you are on fire you may not plan a straight card. If a straight card is revealed, your aircraft is eliminated. If my next preplanned maneuvere card before I caught fire is a straight as I was for arguments sake in the middle of an Immelmann, is my plane therefore eliminated next turn?

I assume this has been discussed and clarified elsewhere officially. Could somebody link me or if I am missing something in the rule book, please supply me with page and paragraph please.

Thanks

Trev.

Yes, I am afraid that you are eliminated on the next turn, Trevor. This was a rule change, which came in with the Battle of Britain starter set. Have a look at this thread https://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/sh...ight-maneuvers

Andrea's response to the question is this Trev:

This is a rule that the editors at Ares Games never liked, and it is occasion of a debate every time we do a new edition.
    My rule was the one in the Rules & Accessories pack: you can not plan a straight.
    The rule comes from the fact that if you have flames from your engine and you fly straight, they reach you. It happened.

I preferred to forbid to plan a straight, not to penalise somebody who already planned a straight as you say. But there are some issues. If you plan a straight and it is forbidden, what happens? It is illegal, and if you do not use the optional rules that with an illegal manoeuvre you go out of control and are eliminated, then you must replace the illegal manoeuvre with a straight and take an A damage token. For me it worked - keep the straight and take the damage. But some people found that it was counter intuitive to replace a straight with a straight.

For clarity and simplicity sake, the rule has been edited explicitly stating all effects and linking the effect to execution of a straight, that's easier to check than seeing if it was an illegal manoeuvre when planned. So if you are going straight and the flames erupts, they reach the pilot and you are eliminated. A kind of an additional explosion. Realistic maybe, but unpleasant in game terms.

So keep it as it is now written, ignore it or use the previous rule instead (an illegal manoeuvre is a straight planned while on fire instead than revealed while on fire, and it means an A damage with normal rules and elimination with the optional one) as you prefer.
    In the end he's left it up to us which version of the on fire rules we prefer to use, so pay your money & make your choice, as long as everyone knows how you want to play the game its fine.

"He is wise who watches"

Thanks the reply guys. We just had a comp and we erred to be lenient. It seems harsh if the move is already preplanned and locked in to a set sequence.

I play it that if you plan a straight whilst on fire you take an A damage. Although if I were on fire in WW2 I would be inclined to take to the parachute.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Similar Missions

1. California Anyone know where to get the P Movement Deck
    By Legendmaker in forum US Wing
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-10-2017, 06:31
  2. Movement options
    By Greywolf in forum WGS: General Discussions
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 07-24-2014, 00:37
  3. Whilst perusing the web I came across this -
    By Lt. S.Kafloc in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 13