Ares Games

Thread: Help needed on ETO B17 colour schemes

Default Help needed on ETO B17 colour schemes

Another question for the Hive Mind. B17s in ETO colour schemes, specifically 324th BS 91st BG but really in general. The Memphis Belle and others in the 324th shown in the wartime propaganda film and some photos have irregular darker green patches over their top surfaces. Based on absolutely no evidence I'm assuming this is a local scheme applied by hand rather than at the factory, and therefore each aircraft would probably be different. Anyone got any info to support or refute this?

as far as i know b-17s of that era left the factory plain od and neutral grey.

There were 3 and 4 color camo used, this painting shows a documented scheme I have seen in the early Pacific realm . . .

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Tramps960_640.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	102.1 KB 
ID:	254259

I googled b-17 decal images and found this scheme there a few years ago . . EBay had a decal set as well . . . With the camo laid out. I can send it if I can find it . .

Kora Decals https://www.ebay.com/itm/KORA-Models...IAAOSwwjRafxqk
    Last edited by clipper1801; 09-15-2018 at 23:59.

Have a look at this link John, it may answer your questions - and raise others !
    https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/...7-camo-scheme/

Would seem someone is in the know:
    "B-17s arrived in the ETO in standard olive drab over neutral grey, but it was decided that with the chances of the Luftwaffe attacking airfields (keep in mind the 8AF started arriving in 1942) that extra camouflage was needed to break up the outline of the aircraft whilst at dispersal.
    There was some guidance sent through from 8AF HQ which stated that medium green blotches should be painted onto the leading and trailing edges of flight surfaces and the vertical tail, as well as along the upper fuselage.
    As this was applied in the field, it varied hugely between aircraft and bomb groups. Sometimes, RAF Dark Green was used when US supplied Medium Green ran short."

"He is wise who watches"

Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post
    Have a look at this link John, it may answer your questions - and raise others !
    https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/...7-camo-scheme/

Would seem someone is in the know:
    "B-17s arrived in the ETO in standard olive drab over neutral grey, but it was decided that with the chances of the Luftwaffe attacking airfields (keep in mind the 8AF started arriving in 1942) that extra camouflage was needed to break up the outline of the aircraft whilst at dispersal.
    There was some guidance sent through from 8AF HQ which stated that medium green blotches should be painted onto the leading and trailing edges of flight surfaces and the vertical tail, as well as along the upper fuselage.
    As this was applied in the field, it varied hugely between aircraft and bomb groups. Sometimes, RAF Dark Green was used when US supplied Medium Green ran short."
    Brilliant - Cheers

Similar Missions

1. Plane colour schemes
    By se5a in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 11-04-2013, 21:32
  2. Some nice WW1 colour schemes!
    By gully_raker in forum WGF: Historical Discussions
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 03-08-2012, 06:19
  3. Series 4 Colour schemes
    By Boney10 in forum Hobby Room