Ares Games

Thread: Using Wingnut Wings as a research source

Users Country Flag

Blog Entries
    Name
    Barry
    Sorties Flown

Default Using Wingnut Wings as a research source

The name 'Wingnut' should not be unfamiliar to us as Wingnut films is the production company of NZ film-maker Sir Peter Jackson, the man who gave us Lord Of The Rings, King Kong, etc.

Sir Peter is also the leading light in the New Zealand WW1 vintage aircraft renaissance known as The Vintage Aviator Limited. They build full-size replica WW1 aircraft. The RAF Museum currently houses one of their Albatros DVs and an RE8 which contains a few original parts. However, yet another branch of Sir Peter's enthusiasm is Wingnut Wings, a large selection of 1/32 super detailed plastic kits. These are SUPER detailed!

I have only just become aware that the Wingnut Wings website also functions as a great research tool.

http://www.wingnutwings.com/ww/modelkitsets

If you pick any kit listed you are shown menu buttons which include optional colour schemes, archive photos of original aeroplanes and - in some cases - colour close-ups of details on aircraft which have been built by the Vintage Aviator Limited. And if you press the button marked 'instructions' you get every page of the plastic kit's assembly book including the full-colour spreads showing colours and markings on all sides of the chosen aircraft.

Some of you may already be aware of this resource but, if you are not, I am letting you know. If you are stuck for colour and marking information I strongly suggest that you click around Wingnut Wings.

Barry

Their building instructions as well as the artwork for all their planes are on their website and it a fantastic place to find a suggestion for a paint color or markings..

Here's to them what are like us. Damn few and they're all dead.

Users Country Flag

Blog Entries
    Name
    Barry
    Sorties Flown

My thoughts exactly. I wonder what would happen if they started making 1/144th scale as well?

Quote Originally Posted by rhodie80 View Post
    Their building instructions as well as the artwork for all their planes are on their website and it a fantastic place to find a suggestion for a paint color or markings..

I went to Peter Jackson's museum in NZ a couple of years ago and have to say it was fantastic, if you ever get the chance to go there - do it.
    I didn't know of his connection to Wing nuts and as I've only researched and painted a few planes I've come across this site but not really used it, so thanks for the heads up.
    Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by 'Warspite' View Post
    I wonder what would happen if they started making 1/144th scale as well?
    That would generate a string of threads whining about how bl00dy difficult/impossible they are to build!
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

That website is a good resource. Thank you for reminding us about it, Barry.

Thumbs up

Anything Sir Peter is involved with that is WW1 Aviation related will be top class!

I have used their instruction PDFs for producing cards many times.

Additionally, they have supporting photos to match the markings, so I trust they have done due diligence on their research.
    Mike
    "Flying is learning to throw yourself at the ground and miss" Douglas Adams
    "Wings of Glory won't skin your elbows and knees while practicing." OldGuy59

Spent a lovely month in NZ, Omaka is his museum, best I have ever experienced, did a photo review last year. Picked up a few Wingnut kits whilst there and had the currency advantage. Immpecable research and product on everything they do. Visited WETA as well, amazing and an absolute must see for any aviation buff. Making plans for a return in a year . . .

Quote Originally Posted by clipper1801 View Post
    Spent a lovely month in NZ, Omaka is his museum, best I have ever experienced, did a photo review last year. Picked up a few Wingnut kits whilst there and had the currency advantage. Immpecable research and product on everything they do. Visited WETA as well, amazing and an absolute must see for any aviation buff. Making plans for a return in a year . . .
    I have visited the museum twice now and would go back in a heart-beat. I can thoroughly recommend it!! On my first trip 'across the ditch' I was also lucky enough to see part of Sir Peter's flying collection at Hood aerodrome on the South Island. You can see some of my photos in this album of mine:

https://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/al...p?albumid=2177

matt56's Avatar May you forever fly in blue skies.
    Major

Users Country Flag

Name
    Matt
    Sorties Flown

After discovering that I could access the instructions PDFs several years ago, I bookmarked the site on my computer and go back frequently. As others have said, not only are their color profiles wonderful, but the pictorial reference in the instruction booklets is comprehensive. And, as Jim mentioned, their color charts matching the called-for color to existing paint (or providing the mix ratios if it is not straight out of the bottle) are a splendid resource for us 'repainters' and modelers...

All the best,
    Matt

Similar Missions

1. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 02-03-2015, 13:23
  2. Wingnut Wings 1/32 Sopwith Snipe Build Diary
    By FarEast in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 78
    Last Post: 12-22-2014, 04:13
  3. Aussie source of some hard to find Wings of War items!
    By gully_raker in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-07-2014, 00:52
  4. WGF Wingnut Wings have released their 1/32 Fokker D.VII
    By Biggles downunder in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 11-27-2012, 17:27
  5. Wingnut Wings profiles
    By phililphall in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09-16-2012, 11:33