Ares Games

Thread: Creating custom maneuver decks

Default Creating custom maneuver decks

Might not be the correct forum section for this, but WTH.

I'm working on a concept where I need to create some custom maneuver decks... but I have zero idea how to do arcs of a specific length and angle (like a 90 degree arc of 30mm or whatever).

I have GIMP but I'm not very skilled with it.

Anyone have any suggestions they can offer?

Thanks.

I think the only important parts of any maneuver card is the starting position of the maneuver and the end of the maneuver position of the arrow. The blue line showing the maneuver is not really necessary.

I bought a book on GIMP to learn when I retire. I am now retired as of this weekend so will have to start soon on this project.

Using Photoshop i have been lifting the arcs from existing cards and then stretching them to fit what I want on the new card.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

If it is useful I can provide a PDF with arcs in vector format from my CAD program. Really only the angles should be needed and the diameter scaled to fit in whatever graphic program you are using.

I use scans of existing cards, adapting them to the lengths I want. I use Adobe Illustrator to do the lines and icons, and copy it to Photoshop for background images. Not efficient, but very accurate and consistent.

I have looked at Gimp, but have the Adobe software and know it, so use it (expensive, but I off-set that by tutoring college students in using them).

OldGuy59's WGF Maneuver Deck XDs Album
    Mike
    "Flying is learning to throw yourself at the ground and miss" Douglas Adams
    "Wings of Glory won't skin your elbows and knees while practicing." OldGuy59

Quote Originally Posted by Amish_rabbi View Post
    vector format from my CAD program. Really only the angles should be needed and the diameter scaled to fit in whatever graphic program you are using.
    Ha! You're a genius! It never occurred to me to draw them in a CAD program. I can't export them as a vector graphic in Sketchup, but a little playing I can find a scale in a bitmapped imaged that will work. As long as I find a consistent scaling it should be fine.

EDIT

Will take some playing with but yup, that will work.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	card.png 
Views:	97 
Size:	736.5 KB 
ID:	253662
    Last edited by kalnaren; 09-04-2018 at 14:54.

Quote Originally Posted by kalnaren View Post
    Ha! You're a genius! It never occurred to me to draw them in a CAD program. I can't export them as a vector graphic in Sketchup, but a little playing I can find a scale in a bitmapped imaged that will work. As long as I find a consistent scaling it should be fine.

EDIT

Will take some playing with but yup, that will work.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	card.png 
Views:	97 
Size:	736.5 KB 
ID:	253662
    this link might help
    https://forums.sketchup.com/t/export...p-model/4355/2
    I always prefer to work with a vector when I can.

Similar Missions

1. Help with creating custom decals
    By kawalski in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 03-03-2019, 14:38
  2. Creating Climb and Dive cards for old WoW decks
    By Kustenjaeger in forum WGF: General Discussions
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11-26-2017, 07:28
  3. WGS WW2 C Maneuver Decks
    By Lt. S.Kafloc in forum Sale/Trade/Wanted Classifieds
    Replies: 1