Ares Games

Thread: Aircraft Variants and Equipment Cards

Default Aircraft Variants and Equipment Cards

Karl [Jager] made a suggestion when we were working on an aircraft card, as there were too many options for a single card for some planes.

However, there are a few planes, especially German, where there were factory or field kits installed in planes, that really didn't change everything on a specific type. Take the Bf.109E for example. The E-4, E-4/N, E-7, E-7/N, E-7/U2 had basically the same stats, just different options. The E-4/N could carry bombs, the E-7/N could carry bombs or drop tanks, and the E-7/U2 was a Ground Attack variant with extra armour and a bigger engine to compensate for the weight (So, perhaps a bigger damage rating on this one). FW.190s have an even bigger spread of variations, with small options within each variant, in some cases having huge difference in WoG game terms.

The advantage of this is that we don't need separate cards for each variant, just an equipment card. I have started this process with some cards here: OldGuy59's WGS Equipment Cards Album

Sample:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Equipment_Cards_BR21_FightersNew.jpg 
Views:	122 
Size:	260.9 KB 
ID:	253628

A quick look through the unofficial stats will show how this could save a lot of card production: Thread - WGS Unofficial aircraft list Version 1.0

It could allow players the option of fielding equipment or variants in scenarios without new models, as well. It may not appeal to those who demand WYSIWYG (What You See Is What You Get).

Comments, suggestions, problems? The discussion can start here...
    Mike
    "Flying is learning to throw yourself at the ground and miss" Douglas Adams
    "Wings of Glory won't skin your elbows and knees while practicing." OldGuy59

I think that is an excellent idea Mike and follows in the tradition of what has gone before in the way of special ability cards.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

I am in full support of this idea. Just a glance at some of the entries for the Fw-190, many of the factory or field kits didn't change the maneuver deck.
    Even if it does, that can be noted on the munitions card. Sometimes, expending the munition (bombs, rockets, etc.) will restore the plane to it's original maneuver deck.
    I'm sorry I haven't followed up on this for you, Mike; my focus the last few weeks has been....not
    Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

That will certainly open up the options for the keen WW2 types Mike.

"He is wise who watches"

i think this is something with a lot of potential for development.

That is a very good idea, Mike!

Sample variant cards:

E-4

Name:	Variant_Card_Bf-109E-4.jpg 
Views:	116 
Size:	223.7 KB 
ID:	253664

E-4/B

Name:	Variant_Card_Bf-109E-4B.jpg 
Views:	113 
Size:	246.1 KB 
ID:	253665

E-7

Name:	Variant_Card_Bf-109E-7.jpg 
Views:	111 
Size:	256.6 KB 
ID:	253666

These cards assume someone has the Battle of Britain Starter Set, or a Bf.109E-3 Squadron Pack. These should include the Drop Tank equipment card.

PS: Thanks for the Rep, but this isn't my idea. I'm just trying to save doing individual cards for all these types of very similar planes. That it lets people expand their fleets for specific scenarios without modeling new planes is a bonus.
    Last edited by OldGuy59; 09-04-2018 at 20:18. Reason: Spelling errors!
    Mike

Fixed some spelling errors in the above cards, and did these for the Allies:

Spitfire Mk.IIB (cannons):

Name:	Variant_Card_SpitfireMkIIB.jpg 
Views:	105 
Size:	275.3 KB 
ID:	253690

Spitfire Limited Ammo (just to be fair to the Germans):

Name:	Equipment_Card_SpitfireLimitedAmmo.jpg 
Views:	104 
Size:	260.0 KB 
ID:	253689
    Last edited by OldGuy59; 09-05-2018 at 00:13.
    Mike

Give the Spitfire I a variable pitch propeller and reduce the number of climb counters per level to 3.

Quote Originally Posted by Naharaht View Post
    Give the Spitfire I a variable pitch propeller and reduce the number of climb counters per level to 3.
    So, how would that look as a card? The changes that would allow the increase in climb rate were not just the prop. Also, almost all versions of Hurricanes and Spitfires were converted to three bladed 'constant speed' props by August of 1940.

The Mk.IIs had longer and broader bladed props, and higher powered engines that substantially increased the climb rate, which is reflected in the existing stats.

There could be a card lowering stats for planes without the three bladed fixed pitch props.
    Mike

Hmmm... The boxed set for BoB has Mk.IA Spitfires...

Name:	Variant_Card_SpitfireMkIB.jpg 
Views:	96 
Size:	277.3 KB 
ID:	253746

Name:	Equipment_Card_Spitfire_1b_LimitedAmmo.jpg 
Views:	95 
Size:	260.0 KB 
ID:	253745

Unlike the Bf-109, where the pilot can choose to fire the MGs, either cannon, both cannons, or everything, the Spitfire had a three position switch. I would assume this could allow the pilot to choose to fire MGs, cannons, or everything, but I am still looking for a reference. I haven't included this option, but it was possible to fire cannons only. All references I read indicated that once the gun bay heating issue was solved, the MGs rarely jammed.
    Last edited by OldGuy59; 09-05-2018 at 23:13.
    Mike

I was trying to change the discrepancy in the rulebook where the Hurricane can outclimb the Spitfire Mk.I.

Some of the later Fiat C.R. 42 Falcos had four 12.7mm machine guns, the extra two being in fairings below the lower wing. (Now, I wonder where that idea came from?) You could produce an equipment card for those.

I was trying to change the discrepancy in the rulebook where the Hurricane can outclimb the Spitfire Mk.I.
    Speed to 15,000 ft:

Hurricane Mk.I with Rotol constant speed propeller (June 1940): 5.8 minutes. Hurricane Mk I Performance

Spitfire Mk.Ia with two bladed fixed pitch propeller (July 1939): 8.1 minutes. Spitfire Mk I Performance Testing

Spitfire Mk.Ia with Rotol constant speed propeller (March 1940): 5.4 minutes. Spitfire Mk I Performance Testing

IIRC, I believe that Ares decided to adjust the stats for the Mk.I Spitfire to be equivalent to the two-bladed fixed pitch propeller, to 'explain' the difference in the 'A' maneuver decks between the Wings of War Spitfires and the Wings of Glory Spitfires. I could be confused, it wouldn't be the first time.
    Mike

Some of the later Fiat C.R. 42 Falcos had four 12.7mm machine guns, the extra two being in fairings below the lower wing. (Now, I wonder where that idea came from?) You could produce an equipment card for those.
    Not necessarily during the Battle of Britain, and this particular version, the CR.42AS, was for Close Air Support (Ground Straffing). AS stands for 'Africa Settentrionale', and was used in North Africa, with an air filter against sand, that caused a loss of power, along with the extra weight from extra guns and bullets. Wouldn't want to dogfight with this plane.
    Mike

Looking through the 'Notes for WGS Unofficial Aircraft V1.0', I can see a ready starting place for Equipment and Variant Cards.

A nice winter project for when I have nothing to do outside the house for all the rain.
    Mike

Pacific Theater of Operations:

Name:	Variant_Card_FM1_Wildcat.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	260.4 KB 
ID:	253926

Hmmm... Need an HVAR Equipment Card for this variant, too.

PS:

Name:	Equipment_Cards-HVARs.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	286.1 KB 
ID:	253927
    Last edited by OldGuy59; 09-10-2018 at 11:40.
    Mike

Another PTO variant:

Name:	Variant_Card_A6M5-52C.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	254.6 KB 
ID:	253930

So, the Model 52 looks nearly the same, but had shorter wings and a longer fuselage. And this variant requires the player to have a completely new maneuver deck, as well. However, this Zero variant was one of only two with different guns.

PS: The 'E' deck can be found in the Reggiane Re.2001 Falco II Airplane Pack. Link: WGS104 – Reggiane Re.2001 Falco II
    Last edited by OldGuy59; 09-10-2018 at 14:29.
    Mike

I've done equipment cards for B-25s, but I'm looking at Lancaster options. How about a Lancaster Mk.IV?

It was renamed as the Avro Lincoln.
    Guns: 2 × .50 in (12.7 mm) M2 Browning machine guns in nose and tail turrets, and dorsal turret with either twin .50 in machine guns or twin 20 mm Hispano cannon. So, B/A as per the Lancaster tail quad .303s for both nose and tail, but CC/C for the dorsal turret, if using the twin cannons.

Also, the XB maneuver deck, as it cruised almost as fast as the B-25?
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by OldGuy59 View Post
    I've done equipment cards for B-25s, but I'm looking at Lancaster options. How about a Lancaster Mk.IV?

It was renamed as the Avro Lincoln.
    Guns: 2 × .50 in (12.7 mm) M2 Browning machine guns in nose and tail turrets, and dorsal turret with either twin .50 in machine guns or twin 20 mm Hispano cannon. So, B/A as per the Lancaster tail quad .303s for both nose and tail, but CC/C for the dorsal turret, if using the twin cannons.

Also, the XB maneuver deck, as it cruised almost as fast as the B-25?
    But it's top speed is rather higher. Also, it is a post war plane, what-if only.

Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

Similar Missions

1. Aircraft Cards
    By Sakana Takeru in forum WGS: Mission Discussions
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 05-07-2012, 09:18
  2. Aircraft Cards
    By Belis4rius in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 02-18-2012, 03:23
  3. Jasta 18 aircraft cards
    By Guntruck in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 17