Ares Games

Thread: Ironing Paper Maps

Default Ironing Paper Maps

Has anyone got any tips on how best to iron the creases out of the paper maps of London, which came with the Zeppelin Staaken models?

I haven't done the ironing trick. I roll them and store them in a shipping tube. When I use them I put a piece of perspex over them.

Ironing does not make the crease marks dissapear in my experience. We put up with them and find them just fine. Not sure what a perspex cover would do to AAR photography?

Quote Originally Posted by Naharaht View Post
    Has anyone got any tips on how best to iron the creases out of the paper maps of London, which came with the Zeppelin Staaken models?
    You're better off burying them under heavy books than ironing Dave - ironing can leave the paper wrinkled & can take the image off at the seam. Better to flatten it as best you can then roll it up for storage, then, if you can, get some perspex on it for game-play.

Sapiens qui vigilat "He is wise who watches"

Quote Originally Posted by Baxter View Post
    Ironing does not make the crease marks dissapear in my experience. We put up with them and find them just fine. Not sure what a perspex cover would do to AAR photography?
    Definitely not the best for photography. You have to be very careful with the lighting.

Thumbs up

I agree with Dave. Cover them with a piece of 3 ply & then cover with heavy books or other objects.

If you are going to try and iron them, try an old trick we used on shirts and cover the map with a cotton cloth, a handkerchief or an old pillowcase, and lightly press along the creases. It will not get them out fully, as has been said, but will flaten the map for ease of rolling and using the perspex.

Thank you all for your advice.

When I worked for the state archives we used to iron paper documents and newspapers regularly. The trick is to use a steam iron set on a medium temperature, use a stiffer paper or card stock below the item to be ironed, and a similar or thinner piece of paper above the item to be ironed. The steam will remove wrinkles and creases without, in my experiences, doing any damage to the printing or writing on the item to be ironed. Just take your time and be careful.

We even have used this on 100 to 200 year old documents without any problems.

Jim

Similar Missions

1. New Maps?
    By afilter in forum WGF: General Discussions
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 08-15-2016, 13:49
  2. Monopoly maps
    By Flying Officer Kyte in forum WGS: Historical Discussions
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 10-15-2012, 22:05
  3. terrian maps
    By Lt Blackwater in forum Hobby Room