Ares Games

Thread: Giving Planes a Wash?

Default Giving Planes a Wash?

Hello again, all!

This time I've been doing some thinking to myself about how I can get my WWII planes to look better than they already are. Being interested in wargaming a tad (specifically Bolt Action, which I still have to set up) I was wondering how effective giving the planes a wash would be, as it would bring out the intricate detailing in their wings to make them eye-popping from a distance (rule one of miniature painting is to make things look good from afar than from up close - at least, from what I gather).

Has anyone ever tried this? If so, does it look good? How dark of a wash do you go with to get it to that 'good' spot, if so?

General painting tips for the Ares WWII planes would be nice as well!

I do it, but not for Wings of Glory, but for ships from Sails of Glory. Wash works great there, but even do not try to apply to my tiny airplanes Curious about the result if there will be any.

Miscellaneous Miniatures
    Captain

Users Country Flag

Name
    Kevin
    Sorties Flown

I sometimes give my airplane models a wash. When I do, I tend to use an oil-based wash of highly thinned artists oils. The wash is applied and then most of it is wiped away. Kevin

I tend to double wash things and then dust em (See How too article in Shapeways thread). Never tried it on a WoW or WoG plane though as I try to retain collectors value. Done lots of Shapeways and AIM models though.
    1st wash is Future floor polish (10%) and water (90%) with black acrylic paint added for color. Second wash is Army painter Soft Tone. Then dust with Tamiya dusting compacts.

Attachment 253225Attachment 253226Attachment 253227

Yes, I use a wash, nearly every time I do a custom paint job. Usually, a very thing wash with either a black or dark brown base tint. Then I will frequently do a somewhat thicker wash to "pin wash" That means applying it to very specific areas with a fine point brush, rather than an overall wash with a wider brush), typically to simulate oil leaks from the engine area/fuel tank filler caps, afterall... these things leaked fluids like nobody's business!

Chris

I often find washes are over done Aidan & can spoil the effect. Panel lines are noticeable close up but are lost at distance and are so fine that the small models we use make them look too heavy when painted/washed. Things like exhaust, gun port streaks, leaks, wear and controls surface lines can add to it though.
    You'll have to look at some pics and experiment to see what works best for you, and with the surface in use.

Sapiens qui vigilat... "He is wise who watches"

For repaints, Shapeways, kits etc. might give particular areas such as engines a very light black wash, but not generally across the whole aircraft. For prepaints I concentrate more on correcting larger scale errors such as wing leading and trailing edges

Similar Missions

1. Giving WW2 WoW a whirl
    By nikiMcBee in forum WGS: General Discussions
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 02-11-2017, 11:13
  2. General Wash with tepid water?
    By Blackronin in forum Shapeways Models
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 01-02-2014, 13:05
  3. Car Wash ????
    By Willi Von Klugermann in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 12