Ares Games

Thread: Lieutenant Wilfrid "Wop" May Sopwith Camel

Default Lieutenant Wilfrid "Wop" May Sopwith Camel

Cheers!

I'm repainting one of my Roy Brown's Sopwith Camel to represent Lieutenant Wilfrid "Wop" May' one -- you know, the novice pilot MvR was chassing when he has shoot and killed.

I do realize members of 209 Squadron didnt have a plane exclusevely assigned, and it may be impossible to recreate or known what May's actual plane was... but I think I may 'guesstimate' something close (?)

So my guess/questions are:
    Do all 209 Sqd Camels had a chevron on the top wing (as Brown's have)?
    If not: does overpainting the chevron gibes me a good generic 209 Squadron's Camel?

Any ideas or suggestions?

This photograph shows a 209 Squadron Camel without a chevron on the top wing. However, note that the top wing has been overpainted. A chevron may have been a flight leader marking.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sopwith F.1 Camel E4389 of 209 Sqn (Greg Van Wyngarden). Note overpainted upper surfaces and coc.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	161.7 KB 
ID:	253136

Rabbit 3's Avatar Squadron Leader Scotland.
    Captain

Users Country Flag

Name
    Robert
    Sorties Flown

It was probably unique to that aircraft.
    Its actually worth looking at the Stackard model as well for comparison as this is in fact another aircraft of the same squadron from a month or so earlier back when the unit was still under RNAS control.
    It`s a "B" flight plane rather than "A" flight so the predominant colour is blue rather than red, it has two geometric circles above the wing and a similar design on the fuselage and the tail blue with white lines on the leading and trailing edges. Other aircraft of this flight from this period are well documented and show individual designs following the same overall theme.
    "A" flight presumably followed similar practice but, with the transfer over to RAF control the fuselage markings were overpainted and white vertical lines designating the squadron and flight substituted. Going by the Brown plane though the tail and upper wing designs were retained.
    Judging by a painting I saw of a "Boots" Bottelier "B" flight plane depicted during the Red Barron incident (he was elsewhere engaged with Stackard against other "Flying Circus" pilots at the time!) it had two groups of two vertical lines on it so presumably the forward vertical line on the Brown plane designates the flight and the rear two the squadron. So for a generic "A" flight plane, overpaint the cheveron and perhaps make up another red/white symbol then change the red/white areas on the tail.
    Going by the photo in the previous post that plane is probably a replacement aircraft delivered later post the RAF changeover as it has full roundels and serial number on the fuselage indicating that it was delivered in that form and there was no overpainting over previous markings.
    Last edited by Rabbit 3; 08-22-2018 at 11:53.

thanks guys! I'll just over-paint the red chevron. it will be the fastest and easiest wey to go

Similar Missions

1. How many "Sopwith" camels in a herd?
    By pstapleton53 in forum Paper Card Models
    Replies: 31
    Last Post: 09-19-2014, 12:37
  2. WGF & WGS: Wings of Glory at "Etna Comics" and "Settimo in Gioco" (Italy, September 2012)
    By Angiolillo in forum Site News and Announcements
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 09-13-2012, 09:19
  3. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-01-2012, 02:39
  4. A Camel named "Bert"
    By Marechallannes in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 29
    Last Post: 02-19-2012, 03:40
  5. Latest repaint - Sopwith Camel "Laura"
    By David Manley in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 11