Ares Games
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: UK trip in January 2019

Mission accomplished - me & SWMBO met Matt & Graeme on the underground on the way into Hendon, they were in the carriage ahead of us as we got out at Colindale, managed to sneak up behind him and whisper O - H in his ear... (I-O being the standard response for his part of the world).
    We then sauntered along to the museum where we met Chris & Steve. We had a great time wandering around the museum, marvelling at the machines on display & chatting together about all and sundry. Jacqui was dead impressed that Matt & Graeme had brought along cake for her birthday !
    It was great to meet Chris at last & see Steve again, and tease Neil over the phone, the missus took some pics & I know Chris & Steve did so I'm sure we'll get some posted soon.
    The boys looked in fine fettle though I'm sure they were struggling with a little jet lag and we left them in mid afternoon to prepare for the London Philharmonic show tonight & their onward travels tomorrow. It was great to see them both again.

"He is wise who watches"

Brilliant! Sounds like a great time, and another example of this community bringing people together from afar. Well done to all involved!

Here's the Magnificent Men in their Flying Machine

Flash (Dave), Graeme, Matt56 (Matt) and Hedeby (Chris). A good day out was had by all, and nice to catch up with, and meet new, forum chums.
    Run for your life - there are stupid people everywhere!

Good to you all having a good time, and I will explain later why I am so miffed at not being there thanks to Virgin Net.

Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Some of us had to work, shame. Thanks for the 'friendly' Geordie mick taking banter over the phone....Steve! Thanks for the 2 pics Chris. Sorry I didnt get to see you all and I hope you have a great stay.

I also heard a rumour that Flash may make Doncaster if certain 'conditions' are in place? ()

Neil
    See you on the Dark Side......

Great pic.

Good to see how this site brings people together yet again.

It looks like you all had a great time together!

Great stuff. Super people at a great museum. Can't wait to see more happy snappies.

Here's to them what are like us. Damn few and they're all dead.

And a good time was had by all - good to hear that. I'm also intrigued by the Wing Co's remark regarding Virgin Net Uh oh!!!

Quote Originally Posted by mikeemagnus View Post
    And a good time was had by all - good to hear that. I'm also intrigued by the Wing Co's remark regarding Virgin Net Uh oh!!!
    So he goes out into Nottingham Forest with his net to catch vir....... ah, best not go there

Some random pics from the camera of Mrs F for you to enjoy:

Name:  DSC01264.jpg
Views: 685
Size:  182.0 KB Name:  DSC01265.jpg
Views: 980
Size:  201.6 KB Name:  DSC01267.jpg
Views: 662
Size:  169.3 KB Name:  DSC01272.jpg
Views: 622
Size:  199.8 KB Name:  DSC01274.jpg
Views: 695
Size:  199.1 KB Name:  DSC01275.jpg
Views: 554
Size:  176.2 KB Name:  DSC01280.jpg
Views: 722
Size:  189.6 KB Name:  DSC01282.jpg
Views: 680
Size:  199.7 KB Name:  DSC01288.jpg
Views: 580
Size:  201.0 KB

"He is wise who watches"

Some splendid photos from the lens of Mrs F Dave. please commend her work. David Bailey who's he!

Rob.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeemagnus View Post
    Simply that my phone has been down for four days, and had it been working, I would have got the message from my Solicitors office postponing our meeting until Monday. That would have given me plenty of time to blag a lift down to Hendon with Chris.

Kyte, ever so slightly miffed..

I am sooooo jealous. Looks like you guys are having a great time. Looking forward to more photos.

Thankyou Mrs F for the fine set of pics!

Quote Originally Posted by Guntruck View Post
    Here's the Magnificent Men in their Flying Machine

Flash (Dave), Graeme, Matt56 (Matt) and Hedeby (Chris). A good day out was had by all, and nice to catch up with, and meet new, forum chums.
    Nice to see that you are all enjoying yourselves!

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte View Post
    Simply that my phone has been down for four days, and had it been working, I would have got the message from my Solicitors office postponing our meeting until Monday. That would have given me plenty of time to blag a lift down to Hendon with Chris.

Kyte, ever so slightly miffed..
    Ouch. That's annoying.

Great pics! Hats off to Mrs. F!

my phone has been down for four days
    Bad luck that Rob -

So he goes out into Nottingham Forest with his net to catch vir....... ah, best not go there
    Bad boy that Steve ......

Quote Originally Posted by Guntruck View Post
    Don't be daft Steve. Where are you going to catch one of them in Nottingham?

Rob.

Very true

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte View Post
    Don't be daft Steve. Where are you going to catch one of them in Nottingham?

Rob.
    Fond memories of Nottingham. None with a virgin in them, so I agree with you.
    Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

Great photographs, Dave! Please congratulate Mrs F.

matt56's Avatar May you forever fly in blue skies.
    Major

Users Country Flag

Name
    Matt
    Sorties Flown

Arrived home safely yesterday evening after a whirlwind (in some regards) tour of England and Scotland...my son and I had a wonderful time - he says there was nothing we did that he did not enjoy...

Our outing at Hendon was splendid, and meeting up with the Fantastic Four was a great part of the enjoyment. Dave's missus took some lovely photos, and although I took some of the same, I will try not to duplicate her efforts - she was using a 'real' camera and hers came out much better...

These first four are from the intro section of the museum. It has changed a lot since I was there 30 years ago (as one might assume)...

Name:  IMG_1602.jpg
Views: 555
Size:  144.7 KB

These next two are from their 'bombing' display near the entrance - the DH9 and all the assorted bombs were wonderful to see 'up close' - definitely a resource for painting models...

Name:  IMG_1603.jpg
Views: 644
Size:  160.8 KB

Name:  IMG_1604.jpg
Views: 676
Size:  153.8 KB

This last one is simply spectacular - the Sunderland dominates the space outside the gift shop (as it should)! After our tour we sat beneath the wings to celebrate Mrs. Flash's birthday - my son and I had managed to find a Black Forest gateau at a wonderful little patisserie near our hotel off Earl's Court and brought it along to celebrate the event. It was a lovely way to cap off our tour...well, actually, shopping in the gift shop capped off the tour...

Name:  IMG_1605.jpg
Views: 523
Size:  147.5 KB

It was great to see Dave again and meet Jacqui - and meeting Steve and Chris was splendid, too. I shall post a few more picture from the WWI and WWII sections of the museum later this weekend.

All the best,
    Matt

Great pics Matt. Glad you all had such a great time

Good to hear you had a good time Matt but sorry that a communications issue was the only thing preventing us from meeting.
    I will treasure my box as long as I live. Good draw that man.
    Rob.

Good memories Matt

Great pics, Matt.
    Getting over to Blighty and hooking up with forum members is definitely on my Bucket List.
    "Sumday, lad ...."

The Sunderland reminds me of the setup at the Evergreen Aviation Museum here in Oregon, where they have the Spruce Goose.

Name:  1-DSC05254.JPG
Views: 540
Size:  208.2 KB

Name:  2-DSC05256.JPG
Views: 595
Size:  164.5 KB

I have better pictures somewhere, taken in the days 'before digital'.

Major

Users Country Flag

Name
    Matt
    Sorties Flown

Here is Round Two of my RAF Hendon pictures - these are all from the WWI gallery. It is a wonderful display of some very well-kept airplanes, some on the ground and several with ramps to get up beside and look inside, and some suspended from the ceiling. Unlike the USAF Museum here in Dayton, one is able to get very close to these planes on the ground and get some splendid detail pictures - and like I said, the planes are immaculate. I particularly loved seeing the Caudron and the FE2d nightbomber. And the Albatros DVa is beautiful...

Name:  IMG_1607.jpg
Views: 612
Size:  179.6 KB

Name:  IMG_1609.jpg
Views: 578
Size:  220.6 KB

Name:  IMG_1610.jpg
Views: 605
Size:  154.1 KB

Name:  IMG_1611.jpg
Views: 512
Size:  168.0 KB

Name:  IMG_1616.jpg
Views: 741
Size:  203.5 KB

Name:  IMG_1618.jpg
Views: 598
Size:  160.2 KB

Name:  IMG_1613.jpg
Views: 601
Size:  165.1 KB

Name:  IMG_1614.jpg
Views: 541
Size:  164.3 KB

All the best,
    Matt

Major

Users Country Flag

Name
    Matt
    Sorties Flown

Here is a special section dedicated to Chris/Hedeby - the Bristol F2B...loved by him for so many reasons, not least of which involves the non-aircraft association with 'bristol(s)'...

Being the wonderful chap he is, Chris took the ribbing good-naturedly - he mentioned that his wife was not too thrilled with his trophy from Doncaster...we agreed that had it been silver-plated, it might have had a warmer reception in the Hedeby Household...

Name:  IMG_1620.jpg
Views: 505
Size:  138.6 KB

Name:  IMG_1621.jpg
Views: 526
Size:  191.1 KB

Name:  IMG_1622.jpg
Views: 547
Size:  147.0 KB

All the best,
    Matt

I haven't been to Hendon since 1983. These pictures have me convinced I must get back over and see all the wonderful additions.

Even more great pictures of aircraft to drool over Matt.
    Thanks for posting them, and for reminding us of Chris's penchant for up gunned Bristols.

Rob.

Quote Originally Posted by matt56 View Post
    Here is a special section dedicated to Chris/Hedeby - the Bristol F2B...loved by him for so many reasons, not least of which involves the non-aircraft association with 'bristol(s)'...
    Nice one Matt, there's nothing more titillating than a part exposed Bristol....
    Glad you guys had a great time in the UK & that Everton didn't let Graeme down that weekend !

"He is wise who watches"

Thanks for all the great photos *(by everyobne) and AAR on your trip Matt.

I'd let up on the jokes about Chris. This could turn ugly, retaliatory Tit of Tat barbs could lead to hard feelings.

Major

Users Country Flag

Name
    Matt
    Sorties Flown

Here are several pictures from the WWII display - sadly, I was having too much fun talking to Chris and Steve and explaining things to my son as we walked around to take a lot of pictures! It is a wonderful collection of Second World War and later planes, though...the Lancaster is impressive, as are the other planes on display - again, the vast majority are in splendid condition.

Name:  IMG_1623.jpg
Views: 556
Size:  178.0 KB

Name:  IMG_1624.jpg
Views: 456
Size:  159.6 KB

While the first two are Battle of Britain opponents, this little devil below is my favorite version of the 110 - the nightfighter version...

Name:  IMG_1625.jpg
Views: 616
Size:  183.2 KB

...and here is Graeme standing by a framed piece of nose art from a Lanc (I think...) - he is a Donald Duck fan and was pleasantly surprised to find this at Hendon.

Name:  IMG_1626.jpg
Views: 591
Size:  132.5 KB

Next time I go I shall have to take more pictures...

All the best,
    Matt

Major

Users Country Flag

Name
    Matt
    Sorties Flown

Last Sunday, we met Simon (Maverick) outside of Liverpool and went to an Everton v Bournemouth football match - Simon's lad had managed to score us tickets and Everton sealed the deal by winning 2-0. Graeme is an Everton fan, so he was definitely pleased. Then it was back to Simon's - he put us up Sunday and Monday before taking us into Gloucester for our train to Edinburgh on Tuesday. So Monday was a day of rest and gaming. Chris/Boney 10 joined us about 12:30 and brought along Zombicide - Black Plague. We had fun with it for several hours, and then Chris pulled out Cruel Seas and we had a go with it. We finished up with regular Zombicide after dinner and we died horribly...

These first two are Chris and Simon coaching us through turns of Black Plague...we managed to beat the Zombies in this game

Name:  IMG_1639.jpg
Views: 611
Size:  216.0 KB

Name:  IMG_1641.jpg
Views: 639
Size:  234.7 KB

Here we are with Cruel Seas - Chris and Simon each took an E-Boot, while Graeme and I had two Vospers each. Graeme was a demon rolling the dice and couldn't seem to miss...

Name:  IMG_1642.jpg
Views: 518
Size:  154.0 KB

Name:  IMG_1644.jpg
Views: 597
Size:  138.7 KB

It was a ton of fun, and it was wonderful to meet Chris - thanks again for driving up from Bristol to spend the day with us!

All the best,
    Matt

Glad to see you both got home safe, was a real pleasure to meet you both and hope we can do the same again at some point in the future.
    I also enjoyed the games and company, although you would not believe the way the dice fell for the RN during the cruel seas game, the eboats really couldnt hit a barn door if they were sat on the latch
    Last edited by Boney10; 01-20-2019 at 14:00.

Major

Users Country Flag

Name
    Matt
    Sorties Flown

Our trip to Edinburgh was highlighted by a visit to the castle and then a walk down the Royal Mile to Holyrood. We were both very impressed by the National War Museum - gorgeous displays and information. I seem to remember 30 years ago it was called the United Services Museum, but the young lady working the desk was unfamiliar with that name...lots can change in 30 years... In any event, it was a splendid collection very modernly presented. We did not go in to the Royals Scots or Greys museums and opted to go up to the Scottish War Memorial instead - although I didn't take any pics of the memorial (not allowed to inside - and that was where all the impressive stuff is) - a fabulous memorial to all the Scottish regiments and their sacrifices in WWI. If you've not been to either the memorial or the museum, they are both worth the trip.

Here is Graeme in the sentry box outside the courtyard of the war museum.

Name:  IMG_1656.jpg
Views: 493
Size:  197.8 KB

And here is a selfie of us on the train back to London on Thursday - probably the second selfie I have taken. The big smiles are evidence of a wonderful journey. I am not sure why it embedded upside down...it was right side up when I inserted it...

Name:  IMG_1664.jpg
Views: 466
Size:  131.4 KB

Thanks to all of you who took time to spend time with us - it was absolutely wonderful to see you again or meet you for the first time. Graeme is already planning our return trip......and I think I have to talk SWMBO into letting me visit Doncaster...

Always the best,
    Matt
    Last edited by Flying Officer Kyte; 01-22-2019 at 12:30.

And here is a selfie of us on the train back to London on Thursday - probably the second selfie I have taken. The big smiles are evidence of a wonderful journey. I am not sure why it embedded upside down...it was right side up when I inserted it...

Attachment 261513
    Did you take a side trip to Oz, Matt?
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

Really Karl!
    I have now rectified the error, but the best bit is :-

"...and I think I have to talk SWMBO into letting me visit Doncaster..."

Rob.

Major

Users Country Flag

Name
    Matt
    Sorties Flown

Thanks, Rob, for righting us wrong! You da man, as they say in parts of the Colonies...

Oz is a favorite of ours, Karl, as in "The Wizard of...", not that I would mind at all visiting the Land Down Under, mind you...

All the best,
    Matt

...and I think I have to talk SWMBO into letting me visit Doncaster...
    Please do! I'm gutted that I couldn't join you all at Hendon, but a double whammy of Life upset that apple cart.................................
    Thanks for the pictures folks..........I Really must get along to the Hendon museum myself sometime.
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

I just got back from having dinner and a few pints with Matt, his son Graham, and a few mates. They showed pictures and shared stories of there big adventure. It certainly sounds like they had a fantastic time. I want to offer a personal thanks to all members of our Band of Brother that made there visit special. From the mob that met them at Hendon (including Ms. Flash) to Simon taking them to some obscure teams soccer match. You all went above and beyond to make there visit special. You lot are what make this group special.

Yea Jim,

I think they are a bunch of Gen chaps too.
    They make me proud to lead them.
    Kyte.

Now that I have located my PC from under the dust sheets here are a few more photo's from our Hendon day

Name:  20190110_120459.jpg
Views: 436
Size:  141.2 KB

Name:  20190110_120643.jpg
Views: 487
Size:  123.7 KB

Name:  20190110_121319.jpg
Views: 426
Size:  162.8 KB
    Double 'A' firing guns on a scout - where is the ARES model of this Beaut ???? Dolphin please ARES

Name:  20190110_121335.jpg
Views: 434
Size:  159.9 KB

Name:  20190110_121346.jpg
Views: 343
Size:  167.1 KB

Name:  20190110_121624.jpg
Views: 452
Size:  161.4 KB

Name:  20190110_121654.jpg
Views: 402
Size:  160.0 KB

Name:  20190110_122004.jpg
Views: 467
Size:  129.3 KB

Name:  20190110_122017.jpg
Views: 418
Size:  123.5 KB
    Something a bit iffy about the wing spacing on this variant - obviously a botched restoration

Name:  20190110_122112.jpg
Views: 351
Size:  148.4 KB
    Pity the D.VII was hanging from the ceiling would have loved a closer look

Name:  20190110_122201.jpg
Views: 396
Size:  138.3 KB
    There was a certain amount of banter thrown about when we found this one.... nice to see the mounting for the top wing Lewis gun ('A' firing all the way)

Name:  20190110_122222.jpg
Views: 395
Size:  168.8 KB

Name:  20190110_122240.jpg
Views: 412
Size:  128.0 KB
    The Albatross was absolutely beautiful

Name:  20190110_124400.jpg
Views: 389
Size:  145.8 KB
    Fantastic ME 109 in the Battle of Britain Hall

Name:  20190110_124659.jpg
Views: 438
Size:  178.5 KB

Name:  20190110_124926.jpg
Views: 503
Size:  125.9 KB
    The Nightfighter ME110 was also stunning

Name:  20190110_124955.jpg
Views: 430
Size:  157.2 KB

Name:  20190110_125527_001.jpg
Views: 377
Size:  118.4 KB
    Never realised just how big a Stuka was

Name:  20190110_131902.jpg
Views: 397
Size:  149.4 KB
    Not sure why the Camel wasn't in the WW1 hanger but lovely example

Name:  20190110_132109.jpg
Views: 395
Size:  147.8 KB

Should be some more on my phone, will add those asap
    Last edited by Hedeby; 02-06-2019 at 08:29.

Never Knowingly Undergunned !!

Worth the wait Chris.
    Thanks.
    Rob.

Excellent pics Chris, thanks for showing

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Similar Missions

1. Pražský Con 2019
    By Dan-Sam in forum Czechoslovak Wing
    Replies: 30
    Last Post: 01-03-2020, 12:14
  2. South England Yeovil Model Show 2019
    By flash in forum UK Wing
    Replies: 45
    Last Post: 03-25-2019, 00:05
  3. Have we got a date for 2019 yet?