Ares Games
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: UK trip in January 2019

matt56's Avatar May you forever fly in blue skies.
    Major

Users Country Flag

Name
    Matt
    Sorties Flown

Default UK trip in January 2019

Hello, Forum-mates!

My older son has the whole month of January off from university, and he and I are investigating coming to the UK for 10 days to two weeks during his break. Not the ideal time of year, perhaps, but beggars can't be choosers...

Are there any events during January we ought to consider trying to fit into our touring? My best man lives in the Buckden area, so the plan is to visit him and his family for a couple of days, but other than trying to maybe catch a Premier League match (he's an Everton supporter), we are just starting to plan an itinerary.

I am open to suggestions, so feel free to do so!

All the best,
    Matt

January
    • JANUARY 7th Woolston DBA Challenge
    • JANUARY 13th MKWS 1-day DBMM event. See Yahoo group for details
    • JANUARY 20th-21st Godendag, Firestorm Games, Cardiff. DBM, FoGAM, FoGR, ADLG Doubles, MeG Doubles. A BHGS-affiliated event.
    • JANUARY 27th & 28th Brighton et Glorium, MeG event Brighton.
    • JANUARY 25-28 1st International Board Wargames Convention in Badajoz (Spain), contact Claudio for more details
    • JANUARY 27th CRUSADE, Show in Penarth, Wales , includes Welsh DBA Open

February
    • FEBRUARY 4th Vapnartak, Trade Show, York
    • FEBRUARY 3rd & 4th PAW Plymouth - trade show and competitions, L'Art de la Guerre 25mm, Warhammer 40K, Field of Glory Ancients, Bolt Action 28mm,
    • FEBRUARY 11th ROBIN show, Nottingham
    • FEBRUARY 18th Mercian DBA see Fanaticus forum for details
    • FEBRUARY 17th Beachhead Bournemouth Conference Centre, show and competitions
    • FEBRUARY 24th & 25th BADCON, Burton Doubles, DBMM, FoGAM, FoGR, ADLG
    • FEBRUARY 24th & 25th Venta Belgarum FoGAM competition, Winchester
    • FEBRUARY 25th Cavalier, Tunbridge Well, - Trade Show
    • FEBRUARY 25th Mercian DBA Challenge Coventry
    Last edited by Lt. S.Kafloc; 08-18-2018 at 11:56.
    See you on the Dark Side......

Matt, if you could just drift into the start of February (4th) then Vapnartak in York is the one I would recommend. We normally run two tables there, WGF and WGS.

Major

Users Country Flag

Name
    Matt
    Sorties Flown

Wow, Neil - thanks for those dates! Unfortunately, Reg, I think February sees back him back at the grind...

Certainly some food for thought

All the best,
    Matt

good luck on your journey matt!

Harry - which Buckden is that? is it the Yorkshire Dales one? or Cambridgeshire?

Never Knowingly Undergunned !!

Major

Users Country Flag

Name
    Matt
    Sorties Flown

It's the Cambridgeshire one, Chris - my mate Chris came home after his dad passed away - his mum and dad had retired to Buckden after his dad got out of the RAF. Chris and I met when his dad was the WingCo commanding the RAF detachment here at Wright-Patterson AFB in the late 70s. Chris married an American girl and then decided to move back to help take care of his mumm and also take advantage of the National Health system (his younger son had serious health issues when he was little...) Now he teaches IT at a local secondary school in the area.

ANYWAY - we plan on heading North during our visit - I'd like to get up to Edinburgh and maybe into the Highlands depending on time...

Sorry it's the southern Buckden rather than the northern one...

All the best,
    Matt

Well stay in touch, and if you are venturing North we might be able to meet up somewhere for a pint...

Hopefully we will get to meet up at some point Matt, unfortunately though, the Game show season takes a haitus between Dec and Jan, well ones we regularly attend that is. Pit about Feb as there are a couple of good ones around that time.

Keep me posted also Matt, Nottingham is on the way North.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Have a great trip Matt, but wrap up warm North of Cambridge

I'm learning to fly, but I ain't got wings
    Coming down is the hardest thing

Hi Matt
    Everton fixtures for January 2019
    01/01/19 ~ Home to Leicester city ~ No way will you ever get tickets for this one!
    12/01/19 ~ Home to Bournmouth ~ Probably your best bet for tickets....
    19/01/19 ~ Away to Southampton ~ Furthest south coast point!
    29/01/19 ~ Away to Huddersfield ~ North (ish) of England
    good luck with the planning
    Regards
    As always
    Simon / Maverick

Major

Users Country Flag

Name
    Matt
    Sorties Flown

Thanks for the offers of pintage, lads! - I will keep all apprised of arrangements as they are formalized - it would be lovely to meet some of you and see others again!

The 12 January game looks promising, Simon - that's in the time frame we're planning on being there...I will have to finalize flight dates and see if we can make that work. Graeme would love it!

Thanks for the info

Always the best,
    Matt

Quote Originally Posted by Hedeby View Post
    Well stay in touch, and if you are venturing North we might be able to meet up somewhere for a pint...
    Include me in this please guys!

Major

Users Country Flag

Name
    Matt
    Sorties Flown

Airline tickets purchased - looks like we will land morning of 9 January and be there until flying out 18 January - not sure of our itinerary yet - aside from trying to take in Everton on the 13th...

Will keep you posted

All the best,
    Matt

Good stuff Matt maybe we can get together at a museum if the itinerary allows ?

"He is wise who watches"

If there is indeed a meeting with Chris in the North please keep me in touch with the arrangements too.
    Rob.

Major

Users Country Flag

Name
    Matt
    Sorties Flown

Plans continue to gel, lads. Just bought tickets for the London Symphony Orchestra for the evening of the 10th - my son is a music major: did his undergad in music composition and is now working on a graduate degree in music education. Looks like maybe Friday will be our outing to RAF Hendon, unless we decide to do that Thursday during the day...

Friday late we head to Cambridgeshire to spend time with my mate Chris for a couple of days before we head over to Liverpool on Sunday the 13th to watch Everton win...

After Liverpool we will likely head north and try and spend a couple of days in Edinburgh, depending on what sort of time Simon/Maverick has available.

More as it continues to firm up.

All the best,
    Matt

Once you have firmed up your Hendon plans let us know, I'll see if I can get up there...it's only SWMBO's birthday

"He is wise who watches"

Matt, if you are in Cambridgeshire, look in at the Imperial War Museum Duxford. You won’t be disappointed.
    Run for your life - there are stupid people everywhere!

'Look in at Duxford'? It is possible to spend a whole day there and not see everything!

Matt let us know what day you intend to go to Hendon. Would love to come down and meet up with you

Major

Users Country Flag

Name
    Matt
    Sorties Flown

Dave, Friday is my birthday, too - surely Jacqui couldn't begrudge you that... If we were to go to Hendon on Thursday instead, might that sit better for a foray on your part? They are open from 10 to 5, so I imagine we would eat brekkie and then head to Hendon to be there when it opens or shortly thereafter. It would be lovely to meet you, Chris, but Hendon is a bit of a hike for you, isn't it?

Thanks for the Duxford suggestion, Steve! I will see if we can fit that into whatever plans congeal around our visit in the Cambridge area.

So much to see - so little time!

All the best,
    Matt

Hendon is only a few hours down the motorway. Thursday works good for me. Road trip south anyone ?

Quote Originally Posted by matt56 View Post
    Dave, Friday is my birthday, too - surely Jacqui couldn't begrudge you that...
    Jaq's birthday is Thursday but she begrudges me nothing - don't forget, she sent me to Origins !
    Just confirm which day as soon as you can so I can arrange travel etc.

"He is wise who watches"

Duxford might be a possibility for me depending on how the sale of my Cousins flat and a few other little things go after Christmas.
    Rob.

Major

Users Country Flag

Name
    Matt
    Sorties Flown

Let's plan on Hendon for Thursday, Dave - all things considered I think that will work better for us and our plans in The City...totally understand if the boss 'needs' you nearby.

Speaking of plans, as we are going to do most of our travelling by rail, do the train stations still have 'left luggage' counters? When I was last there in '88, you could leave your bag and they would hold it for you to retrieve later...or have those policies disappeared given the new state of affairs since September 11th?

All the best,
    Matt

Hendon is only a few hours down the motorway.
    <<cough, cough speed cameras cough cough>>

Make sure it is a few hours, and not just 1 plus a big fine

Hope you can come down, it would be great to see you in a context where you are not shooting at me!
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

Let's plan on Hendon for Thursday, Dave
    Hope I can join you...............the Hendon museum is only around 10 miles from my house, but I'm scheduled to work all that week, and getting leave will be difficult (lots of others already booked ) but I will try!

I will do my best not to fall foul of the yellow police money boxes.... to confirm.. what is the date on the Thursday

I will do my best not to fall foul of the yellow police money boxes.... to confirm.. what is the date on the Thursday
    You mean you didnt take up the extra "invisable to radar " offer when you bought the Jag Chris?

I'm learning to fly, but I ain't got wings
    Coming down is the hardest thing

Wish I had lol... got caught 24hrs after taking delivery... oops

Let's plan on Hendon for Thursday, Dave - all things considered I think that will work better for us and our plans in The City...totally understand if the boss 'needs' you nearby....
    I'll see what I can do Matt - as to left luggage I had to Google it so you may want to research that on link below !
    'There are left luggage facilities at London's main train stations, airports and Victoria Coach Station. Luggage storage companies also offer left luggage facilities at locations across the capital. Luggage can be stored from a few hours to several months, depending on the facility..'
    https://www.visitlondon.com/travelle...e-left-luggage

"He is wise who watches"

Major

Users Country Flag

Name
    Matt
    Sorties Flown

Thursday is the 10th of January, Chris.

Thanks for the link, Dave - I have used the train station left luggage counter before...good to know that option still might exist!

All the best,
    Matt

So everyone still on for Hendon on Thursday 10th? Anyone want a lift from 'up north' ? What time folk planning to arrive?

Sounds like a plan. I can get there around half-eleven.

Side-trip to Hannants model shop right next to the museum?

Major

Users Country Flag

Name
    Matt
    Sorties Flown

My son Graeme and I will plan on getting there around eleven, then, too - flash and his missus are planning on coming up and hope to be there around eleven. A Hannants visit certainly sounds appropriate, too!

All the best,
    Matt

11:00 hrs it is then, tally ho chaps...
    Blimey only just realised ITS NEXT THURSDAY !!

Sorry Chaps.
    I will have to cry off, as my solicitor has this morning arranged an important meeting on that day to settle my cousin's Will and I am one of the Executors.
    Rob.

You will be missed Rob. Should be there with snr management by half ten/eleven if the choo-choo is reliable...!

"He is wise who watches"

I can't make it either

No more than 3 staff of my grade allowed off at one time, and 4 of the 6 are already away that day!

Hope you all have a great time.

Dropping like flies.... i’ll Be there. I have spoken to Neil and we are going to make the raffle (for the box) draw at Hendon. Thought it would be appropriate. Also means if one of our Southern brethren get lucky we might be able to save some postage.

Major

Users Country Flag

Name
    Matt
    Sorties Flown

Yikes! It is a week from today...better get cracking here and get ready to go!

Looking forward to meeting some of the UK Squadron at Hendon - happy to provide an excuse for you to visit Hendon and Hannants

All the best,
    Matt

Have a great time one and all. A week later and I too would have been able to meet up with you. Here's hoping for another chance sometime soon Matt

Sorry, can't make it either now - need to get my car in for some recall work. Pity that

Apologies I can't make it down as I'm working.

Also for Matt need to know if your heading my way as I'm off to Teneriffe nope make that Lanzarotte on the 20-23rd this month for swmbo birthday bash.

Apologies.

Neil

Major

Users Country Flag

Name
    Matt
    Sorties Flown

We plan to be heading North sometime after the Everton match, which is on Sunday, Neil - still not sure exactly when...

Our flight back is on Friday the 18th, so that shouldn't impede your SWMBO Holiday celebrations...

I will try to let you know more precisely as soon as I am able and have plans nailed down...

Always the best,
    Matt

My days off are mMon to Wed each week Matt as I'm now working again part time. Let me know your plans as soon as you can.

Neil

Bring your wellies chaps:

"Work is continuing towards the re-opening of this exhibition after its flooding on New Year’s Day. After a thorough investigation by our Curatorial Team, we are able to report that all artefacts contained within the exhibition hall are undamaged. We are currently in the process of checking all electrics in the building and drying out carpets and soft furnishings. We anticipate it will take at least the whole weekend, possibly longer, for this to happen. Hangar 6 will therefore remain closed for the immediate future". That's the "RAF in an Age of Uncertainty 1980 – Today" hangar.

On the plus side, I may just be able to get there after all - if I can get my car in to the garage early enough I might just be able to make it. I'll WhatsApp people if I get there.

Where's me scuba gear? Lol

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Similar Missions

1. Pražský Con 2019
    By Dan-Sam in forum Czechoslovak Wing
    Replies: 30
    Last Post: 01-03-2020, 12:14
  2. South England Yeovil Model Show 2019
    By flash in forum UK Wing
    Replies: 45
    Last Post: 03-25-2019, 00:05