Ares Games
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Aces of Valor solo game makes an excellent campaign system.

Default Aces of Valor solo game makes an excellent campaign system.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0001.jpg 
Views:	425 
Size:	231.7 KB 
ID:	252910
    I have been enjoying Aces of Valor by Berserker Game, an excellent inexpensive print-n-play game. As the aerospace education officer for my local Civil Air Patrol squadron I am always looking for ideas to use for teaching my classes. The cadets have been wanting to learn more about WW1 combat. Rather than just play a combat game I wanted to have a system that would let them use their leadership and teamwork skills. I adapted Aces of Valor to handle mission assignments and encounters so that when the squadron encounters an aerial combat system they switch to the combat board and use a version of Canvas Eagles, though we could just as easily us Wings of Glory. While Aces of Valor has perfectly usable print-n-play boards I have spent the past few months making a 3D version using 1/1000 scenery; much more impressive for the classroom or convention setting.
    More pictures and details are here.
    Hopefully I will be able to link up with some WW1 air combat gamers for next years Origins or other gaming conventions in Ohio, it seems a shame to only bring this out a few times a year for teaching.

Name:	DSC_0012.jpg 
Views:	423 
Size:	107.2 KB 
ID:	252911
    Last edited by flash; 02-18-2023 at 10:11.

Looking good! I love the little balloons!
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

Cool idea. Wish we’d of done something like that when I was in CAP (part of the AF then) when I was a kid.

Old thread (apologies), but darn cool.

I have just finished assembling the game pieces today. I purchased it in 2016, and only took a little break.

Name:	preview1.jpg 
Views:	307 
Size:	145.7 KB 
ID:	284748

Name:	preview2.jpg 
Views:	305 
Size:	107.9 KB 
ID:	284747
    Last edited by Honza; 04-05-2020 at 13:41.

If you like dice heavy games with narrative element, this one may be for you.
    It is a solitaire game.

You can buy it here
    http://berserkergames.net/store.html...egory=12246090

My early copy was done horrendously, i have spent about 10 hours on computer because the fellow couldn't make the front and the back of a token of the same size.
    He however released about 3 updates since 2016, so now it is worth buying.
    The ultra amateurish graphic (drawn by a mouse) makes it actually very cute, but i am afraid he improved that over the years as well. The new graphic is cleaner but keeps most of the cute looks, so not a big deal here.
    Last edited by Honza; 04-05-2020 at 13:52.

I played my first game, and although i usually avoid dice-fest games (roll them and consult charts), this one is simple and tells a story. There are traces of RPG elements in it as well. A nice late evening game for a tired dad.

I liked Aces of Valor so much that I bought his WWII Marine Fighter Squadron game, his Hunters Over Korea game, and his Thud Ridge game. I use my WoG planes in the Aces of Valor game. They cost a lot in printer ink, but I really enjoy playing them. I also own his WWII B-17/B-24 game called A Wing and a Prayer that was officially produced by Lock n Load Games. Once again I use my minis with this game. They are all solo games. It's nice to have military aviation games from WWI, through WWII in Europe and the Pacific, with early jets over Korea, and then over Vietnam.

Does it print onto A4 card or some other size, Lino?

Quote Originally Posted by Naharaht View Post
    Does it print onto A4 card or some other size, Lino?
    Good question, i had to have it printed on a large format because it was in Letter format and pretty tightly filled.
    I let him know that (well, 5 years later, when my OCD triggered) and he redone it for A4 and send it to me for proofing.
    If you are interested, i can send you one of those A4 files and you can test it on your printer. PM me your email in case.

Thank you for the offer, Lino. I will do that.

I believe Legion War games is reprinting this sometime soon.

https://www.legionwargames.com/

Yes, i am in the playtesting team.

Please let us know when the new version becomes available.

Quote Originally Posted by Honza View Post
    Yes, i am in the playtesting team.
    That is awesome! I was aware that the designer was now working with Legion Wargames, and that Aces of Valor was going to be his first release with them. I am looking forward to this game being released by Legion, and I hope it will just be the first of many of his games they will produce. Please, keep us updated on this game's progress.

Legion Wargames is now accepting Customer Pre Orders for the Aces of Valor WWI aerial combat game. This is one of the many solo PnP games that I own from the game designer, Erik Von Rossing. I've already signed up on Legion Wargame's CPO list for this game. It'll be nice to have this game professionally produced so I can replace my not so lovely PnP version.

Pre-Ordered

Looks like 2021 is gonna be a Gaming year for me.

The game is getting way better that it was.

If you want to get involved
    https://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/sh...solitaire-game

Joined the pre order crowd here.

They decided to make Alb D.III's and Pup's firepower and manoeuvrability equal.
    I think i am off of the testing team. I will stick with the PnP game that at least has the basic numbers right.

Interesting. Hope the game gets releases this year so we can see if the decision works or not.

Received my pre-ordered copy yesterday.
    Hope to try it out in the next few days.

Just started working on a 2nd edition of the pnp game with Erik’s blessing.

You all were/are in CAP? That's neat. I was from ages 14-20. Good times.

This game looks pretty sweet!

Got my copy from Legion Games. Reading through the rules. I think this will be fun!

Strange that they used the Sopwith Dolphin and not the SE.5a

Just started working on a 2nd edition of the pnp game with Erik’s blessing.
    It was good to see you mentioned in the Credits.

Strange thing is that i haven't convinced the producer to make D.III firepower better than PUP's. I guess he was pushed from the other side to make it balanced, and so he did. So instead of the Bloody April, we have kind of a Sporty April.

That's why i decided to make my own 2nd PNP edition, which i am working on right now.

Name:	Counter - DH2-damaged.jpg 
Views:	139 
Size:	139.1 KB 
ID:	323500

I am using DH2 > PUP > SE5 > Dolphin evolution.

More about my own changes
    https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/3027798/2nd-editon

I like your take on the system, not handing out identical values for each national tier and going by time instead.

Please keep us informed of your progress.
    (I am following the BGG thread as well)

Thank you Pete. I have finished the graphic job on British counters today. The numbers are set, rules are written and the tables are written as well. I have to push myself to finishing the German counters and i can start playtesting.

Here is one more preview

Name:	Counter - FE2 - damaged.jpg 
Views:	140 
Size:	144.4 KB 
ID:	323501

...Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Counter - DH2-damaged.jpg 
Views:	139 
Size:	139.1 KB 
ID:	323500
    I am using DH2 > PUP > SE5 > Dolphin evolution. More about my own changes https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/3027798/2nd-editon
    Interesting, don't blame you for wanting to correct the firepower; not seen or heard of a DH2 armed with rockets before, where did that come from ?

"He is wise who watches"

Wiky says two of them attacked Balloons with La Prieur rockets. The icon mean this type can carry rockets if they are available. But another game mechanic makes sure they are not really available that often for Brits. I suppose Brits would use them less frequently than French, right?

I found a Polish website that says these two had asbestos on wings to protect the wings. The photo link is broken.

Ach so, after a trawl about t'internet I found a pic of a 32sqn DH2 loaded with rockets on p61 of this doc Not a great pic but shows they did try them at least. That's good as it provides another option for 'sausage' attacks, as well as Tripods !

"He is wise who watches"

Good find.
    Opens up a whole new aspect of the game Jan. I just fancy my rocket armed Sopwith Baby attacking a Zep out over the North Sea. I must get to work on a clip to hold a clutch of rockets on a variety of my aircraft as illustrated in that article.

Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

This looks really good. Somehow I missed this. Look forward to hearing your experiences with the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Stumptonian View Post
    Strange that they used the Sopwith Dolphin and not the SE.5a
    I kinda like the fact that they used the Dolphin!

I am realy looking forvard to Honzas second edition.

Quote Originally Posted by bigpetr View Post
    I am realy looking forvard to Honzas second edition.
    I second that!

Maybe this solo TT game, that is about to be released by Compass Games, will be great as a campaign system for WoG : Western Front Ace - The Great War In The Air, 1916-1918.

It is a narrative aerial wargame around one pilot (you choose among 7 nationalities), not a squadron as in Aces of Valor. It uses the game system of Nightfighter Ace TT game.

I haven't tested it yet.

Been working on this real hard. It is still gonna take at least a month yet to finish all the files.

Name:	nahled.png 
Views:	84 
Size:	203.2 KB 
ID:	323732

For the Ground Targets i am using Erik's cute graphics, just making them a bit less of "look how i can draw with my mouse" like.

Name:	nahled2.png 
Views:	82 
Size:	161.0 KB 
ID:	323733

Name:	nahled3.png 
Views:	86 
Size:	190.1 KB 
ID:	323734 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	nahled4.png 
Views:	84 
Size:	182.6 KB 
ID:	323736
    Last edited by Honza; 02-28-2023 at 02:02.

Here is a preview of the upgraded mats.

Name:	preview.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	84.5 KB 
ID:	324531

Rockets on a DH.2. That should not be legal.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Missions

1. WoG Solo System [Mobile & Desktop]
    By DanjelRicci in forum WGF: General Discussions
    Replies: 329
    Last Post: 10-10-2023, 15:11
  2. Attention SoG Players - Solo Rules and Solo Campaign
    By 7eat51 in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 07-04-2014, 09:46
  3. WarBirds - New Game System
    By Baldrick62 in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 05-26-2014, 13:22
  4. Solo: Lets knock out a system to actually make solo play possible.
    By Oberst Hajj in forum WGF: Mission Discussions
    Replies: 45
    Last Post: 04-19-2013, 16:22
  5. AAR Solo MIssion 16: "What a difference a day makes...."
    By Lt. S.Kafloc in forum Over the Trenches
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 02-14-2013, 06:17