Ares Games

Thread: Sopwith Pup stands

Default Sopwith Pup stands

I am looking at buying a couple of Valom Pup's, I have two spare D decks and will buy some pilot models, however, I would like 2x stands (pegs not needed) with the planes details (fire arc, name, hit points, move deck and gun damage deck). I don't want an altitude dial on it and it must be compatible with the ares altitude pegs.
    Is this possible? If so how much would these cost including shipping to the UK?
    Cheers

Check with Keith at the Aerodrome Accessories (AA) store, to see if he can make up stands without altitude disks? PM Keith [Oberst Hajj].

I don't use altitude in most of my games, and got AA stands for my paper constructions. Also, I've made up printable labels to put stats onto Litko stands, if that is worth considering.

Lastly, I did up clear printable adhesive decal sheets for my tripods beta set.

All the above can be seen here: How to Customize Aftermarket Airplane Stands
    Mike
    "Flying is learning to throw yourself at the ground and miss" Douglas Adams
    "Wings of Glory won't skin your elbows and knees while practicing." OldGuy59

If Keith can't help try RedVectors in UK he is on the Drome so you could PM him.

Name:  IMG_4123.JPG
Views: 251
Size:  67.8 KB
    Here is a picture of the Sopwith Pup base Keith made for me. I added the number 1 sticker as I have 6 pups that look the same from above. I think his bases are amazing. I love it.

Here's to them what are like us. Damn few and they're all dead.

it takes a little work but you can make litko bases wog peg compatible. glue one of their post into it. and then drill it out with a smaller hole compatible with wog pegs.

Quote Originally Posted by milcoll73 View Post
    it takes a little work but you can make litko bases wog peg compatible. glue one of their post into it. and then drill it out with a smaller hole compatible with wog pegs.
    My 'solution' was a bit more radical.
    For all my stands, I found the bottom peg sometimes detached from the stand.
    For all my stands, I glue the bottom peg into the stand.
    This makes picking up the stand easier.

So, I just glue a standard peg into the litko base.
    [Added] To do this you do need to cut the peg bit off the standard peg.

Litko sells Wings of Glory altitude dials which fit the standard pegs.

The only drawback to gluing a peg into each base is storage.
    I solved this by using KR foam storage trays and making them deeper by gluing 5mm cut-out foam on the bottom of each storage tray.
    A stand with a peg glued on to it together with the movement deck fits nicely into the deeper modified foam trays.
    Last edited by Nicola Zee; 08-15-2018 at 23:51.

Cheers guys. All good ideas.
    I am going to see if anyone can make me bases that match (as near as possible) the normal WoG ones first.

Quote Originally Posted by Nicola Zee View Post
    My 'solution' was a bit more radical.
    For all my stands, I found the bottom peg sometimes detached from the stand.
    For all my stands, I glue the bottom peg into the stand.
    This makes picking up the stand easier.

So, I just glue a standard peg into the litko base.
    [Added] To do this you do need to cut the peg bit off the standard peg.

Litko sells Wings of Glory altitude dials which fit the standard pegs.

The only drawback to gluing a peg into each base is storage.
    I solved this by using KR foam storage trays and making them deeper by gluing 5mm cut-out foam on the bottom of each storage tray.
    A stand with a peg glued on to it together with the movement deck fits nicely into the deeper modified foam trays.

ive got a buddy who does this.

I just got around to seeing this thread. I can make those stand for you easily enough. You can order them using my Custom Flight Stand product. Put mention in the details email that you do not want the altitude ring engraved on it.

Cheers Keith. Is it possible to have the base look just like an Ares one? Same layout and colours etc?

What is the front fire arc of a single seater in degrees? It looks like 70 when I try it on the generator.

Quote Originally Posted by Popsical View Post
    Cheers Keith. Is it possible to have the base look just like an Ares one? Same layout and colours etc?
    No, it will not look like the Ares one. They print their data on top of the plastic. My bases have the data engraved into it. You can color them in as Jim did in the image above however.

What is the front fire arc of a single seater in degrees? It looks like 70 when I try it on the generator.
    I can't remeber off the top of my head, but you don't have to worry about that. I know which arc to use. It would have the same layout as Jim's base, just without the altitude ring on it.

Cheers Keith. I do not need the altitude stats on mine. Would it be possible to have the arc V complete like the Ares ones, and will it be flat with a hole for the pegs (Jim's one seems to have a peg in it)? How much is it for two and shipping to the UK?

If you add them to your cart on the site, it will work out the exact price with different shipping options.

After lots of consideration I have bought two Pup stands from Redvector in the UK.
    I cannot recommend the service enough, fantastic work and communication from Mick at Redvector.
    Here they are (colours painted by myself into the etching):
    Name:  20180824_161629.jpg
Views: 186
Size:  116.5 KB
    I'm sure you'll agree, a bargain at Ł8 including postage.

After lots of consideration I have bought two Pup stands from Redvector in the UK.
    I cannot recommend the service enough, fantastic work and communication from Mick at Redvector.
    Here they are (colours painted by myself into the etching):
    Name:  20180824_161629.jpg
Views: 186
Size:  116.5 KB
    I'm sure you'll agree, a bargain at Ł8 including postage.
    Couldn't agree more. Mick has done a few for me and I am absolutely bowled over by the standard of his work. Did you go for the thicker base size so you don't have the problem of the pegs being just that teeny bit too long? Saves you having to file down the pegs to suit.

Yes Reg I went for 4mm thick like the Ares ones. Now to find movement decks for Fokker DVII's so I can do them.

Here is the finished article with planes.
    Name:  20180825_140740.jpg
Views: 188
Size:  150.4 KB
    Name:  20180825_140746.jpg
Views: 192
Size:  164.8 KB

Those are good looking Pups, Steven!

Thanks Reg and David, I am very proud of the finished articles. Much praise goes to Mick at Redvector for producing awesome bases.

Blucher

Those stands and planes look good. I was looking for some bases in the UK so I that's really useful to see someone over here making them. I assume this is the same company http://www.redvectors.co.uk

On the planes, did you make the kits as per the instructions or did you strengthen them in any way? The reason I'm asking is I'm struggling through a couple of kits at the moment and wondering just how strong they are going to be.

Great Pups, Steve!

Jolly well done!
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

Quote Originally Posted by Blucher View Post
    Those stands and planes look good. I was looking for some bases in the UK so I that's really useful to see someone over here making them. I assume this is the same company http://www.redvectors.co.uk

On the planes, did you make the kits as per the instructions or did you strengthen them in any way? The reason I'm asking is I'm struggling through a couple of kits at the moment and wondering just how strong they are going to be.
    David you can contact Mick at RedVectors via the website or send a PM on the Drome. Just tell him what you want and he will get back to you with a price and sometimes a drawing or two!

Blucher

Thanks Reg will do

Thanks guys!
    David, yourself and Reg are correct about Redvectors.
    re. the Pup's, they are built as per the kit (including brass etch) using loctite superglue gel. They seem strong, but I haven't traveled with them yet.

Superb looking aircraft Steven.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Similar Missions

1. Stands, Stands, and more Stands!
    By ArkansasChuck in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-06-2018, 12:51
  2. New Products: Decal sheets, ACE flight stands, and Custom Flight Stands
    By Oberst Hajj in forum Aerodrome Accessories
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: 01-11-2018, 07:51
  3. the big stands down
    By Jago85 in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 18