Ares Games

Thread: Buying from Shapeways - help please

Question Buying from Shapeways - help please

I have never bought anything from Shapeways.
    But now I want a couple of Polikarpov I-153 fighters and Shapeways seems to be the only place to get them?
    https://www.shapeways.com/product/26...-1-200-240-285

Which Material should I go for.
    Are they tough enough for wargaming?
    There are big differences in prices.
    Is the most expensive the best for wargaming?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	i153.jpg 
Views:	96 
Size:	59.3 KB 
ID:	252872

Thanks in advance for any help
    Keith

I have these very planes myself. I got them in least expensive white plastic. WSF was what they used to call it. It is very strong and can take being dropped without batting an eye. I found the ultra detailed plastic to be brittle so no longer will buy it.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2786[1].jpg 
Views:	95 
Size:	290.3 KB 
ID:	252889

They are a little grainy but I was in a hurry and did not prepare them as I should have with a few more coats of primer. The WSF tends to be grainy while the higher end will have a smooth(er) surface to start with.

Thanks Teaticket - that answers my question.

But now a follow up question.

Shapeways appear to have a location in Holland. Can I get stuff printed there and shipped from NL.

Much easier and cheaper for me if its from EU and not from USA!

Thanx
    Keith

On the Shapeways.com website I don't see where one would indicate the origin of the models. I would hope they would make and ship from NL for you. When I place my US order it ships from NY.

When I order mine to come to the U.K. it ships from the Netherlands
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

When given a coat of thinned (3:1) PVA glue, then a spray of chrome, that smooths the surface out a lot. Or use 2-3 coats of thinned PVA.

I definitely recommend versatile plastic, what used to be called WSF.

Here's an example - a Wings of Glory Yak-1, an AIM resin P-39, a Shapeways I-15 in WSF, and an AIM resin I-16.

As you can see, when given the thinned PVA glue treatment, it doesn't stick out.

A mixture of AIM resin and Shapeways Versatile Plastic aircraft. 2 of the I16s are resin, 2 are WSF. The Bf110s and Whirlwinds are also WSF, as are the I15s. Again, you can't easily tell the resin and WSF apart when given a dilute PVA coat or two.

Hello Keith. I know I am a bit late to get in on this discussion, but I want to lend additional encouragement to trying out Shapeways prints. I have only done WW1, but I have painted and customized different WW1 aircraft. As others have noted the least expensive, but sturdy product works well, but to smooth the grainy texture of the print can be done with various materials and several coats. I have added a few photos to show both the graininess as well as finished projects. Happy painting!Click image for larger version. 

Name:	A.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	173.2 KB 
ID:	255968; an example of grainy texture.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Finis1.jpg 
Size:	151.4 KB 
ID:	255969, completed Be2c; Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Spinning Propeller.jpg 
Size:	182.5 KB 
ID:	255970, Hans Kleins Pfalz

One thing that has not been noted here: most (digital) pictures posted here show more detail (read roughness) of the surface than your unaided eye will see.
    Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

Quote Originally Posted by Jager View Post
    One thing that has not been noted here: most (digital) pictures posted here show more detail (read roughness) of the surface than your unaided eye will see.
    Karl
    Definitely! To the naked eye, prepped and painted WSF models appear just fine.
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

Similar Missions

1. I'm buying again
    By zenlizard in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 04-24-2017, 00:38
  2. Ares Buying FFG ?
    By flash in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 03-09-2015, 12:32
  3. To the Bar, I'm Buying!
    By fast.git in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 25