Ares Games
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: August Workbench

Default August Workbench

Well finally finished these. I had the decals for the 105 Squadron (MISCMINI) and when I looked up that squadron I found that they had Battles in 39-40 so here are my 105 Sqdrn Battles.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7970.jpg 
Views:	212 
Size:	96.4 KB 
ID:	252460

Name:	IMG_7971.jpg 
Views:	207 
Size:	98.7 KB 
ID:	252461

Name:	IMG_7973.jpg 
Views:	209 
Size:	66.9 KB 
ID:	252462

Name:	IMG_7976.jpg 
Views:	211 
Size:	102.0 KB 
ID:	252463

Models are AIM (Dave), decals by MISCMINI (Kevin) and prop disks from the Aerodrome Store (our own CMDR Keith).
    Last edited by BobP; 08-06-2018 at 14:54.

Then they upgraded to Blenheims so here they are.

Name:	IMG_7978.jpg 
Size:	80.4 KB 
ID:	252464

Name:	IMG_7979.jpg 
Size:	81.7 KB 
ID:	252465

Name:	IMG_7980.jpg 
Size:	59.2 KB 
ID:	252466

Name:	IMG_7981.jpg 
Views:	204 
Size:	55.1 KB 
ID:	252467

Then in the OSPREY book I have that shows one that was in coastal command so painted that way.

Name:	IMG_7982.jpg 
Views:	206 
Size:	65.0 KB 
ID:	252468

Name:	IMG_7983.jpg 
Size:	60.4 KB 
ID:	252469

Name:	IMG_7984.jpg 
Size:	98.0 KB 
ID:	252470

And all three Blenheim's together. Again AIM models and MISCMINI decals. Have to put the props on.

And last month I did the Mosquito bombers so here is a photo of them.

Name:	IMG_7985.jpg 
Views:	210 
Size:	99.7 KB 
ID:	252471

Name:	IMG_7987.jpg 
Views:	211 
Size:	114.8 KB 
ID:	252472

Name:	IMG_7989.jpg 
Size:	94.6 KB 
ID:	252473

And a photo of the Battle,Blenheim & Mosquito. So my 105 Squadron planes from 39 to 45.

Miscellaneous Miniatures
    Captain

Users Country Flag

Name
    Kevin
    Sorties Flown

Default Finishing some projects before vacation

Finishing some projects before taking a break. These are 1/144th scale models. The Me-262s are Eduard kits. The Ms.406s are 3D prints made from the material formerly known as FUD. The Re.2000s are 3D prints made from the material formerly known as WSF. I used the kit decals on the Me-262s. Decals for the Ms.406s and Re.2000s are from my decal line. https://miscmini.com/shop?olsPage=t%...als-1144-scale Kevin
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Me262 144 2.jpg   Re2000 144.jpg   Ms406 144.jpg  

matt56's Avatar May you forever fly in blue skies.
    Major

Users Country Flag

Name
    Matt
    Sorties Flown

Lovely work, you two! Really liking the whole 105 Sqn assembly here, Bob and especially your Re2000s in Hungarian markings, Kevin

Thanks for the continued inspiration!

I have three D&D Griffons I am working on for a Jasta Greif game I hope to run at Origins next year...I shall show pictures as I get into the project a bit more. At this stage of the game they are cut off their bases and the flash has been trimmed up a bit...on to mounting and painting soon (I hope...)

All the best,
    Matt
    Last edited by matt56; 08-09-2018 at 05:54.

I'm still working on Fritz Rumey's double-coiled Albatros D.V
    It seems after many tries I have the decals finally figured out

Name:	20180809_005647.jpg 
Views:	187 
Size:	62.8 KB 
ID:	252574

Quote Originally Posted by miscmini View Post
    Finishing some projects before taking a break. These are 1/144th scale models. The Me-262s are Eduard kits. The Ms.406s are 3D prints made from the material formerly known as FUD. The Re.2000s are 3D prints made from the material formerly known as WSF. I used the kit decals on the Me-262s. Decals for the Ms.406s and Re.2000s are from my decal line. https://miscmini.com/shop?olsPage=t%...als-1144-scale Kevin
    Well done on the camouflage, It looks great!

Just got a couple of Condors from AIM (as well as some He219s and Ta152s), which will go to the top of my painting schedule. Here's a couple of pics showing the AIM one alongside my Del Prado Condor in the same scale. The AIM one is noticeably 'tubbier' than Del Prado's. I intend to paint one up as a Luftwaffe maritime reconnaissance/bomber, and butcher the other in to a Lufthansa variant.

Run for your life - there are stupid people everywhere!

I'm supposed to be working on a card for the FW.200, but it is getting lost in other activities.

Last night, I was out at the Y2K Spitfire Gala, in the company of some awesome people, including the Guest of Honour, W/C James 'Stocky' Edwards, DFC and Bar, DFM, etc. And these two guys:

Name:	TwoSpits.jpg 
Views:	184 
Size:	75.5 KB 
ID:	252588
    The Vintage Wings Roseland Spitfire (back left) and the Historic Flight Foundation's Czech Spitfire (front right). And I hope to have the video of the dual engine run up by the weekend.

Historic Flight.org - Spitfire Mk IXe
    Note: This plane appeared at Duxford in 2015.

Note: The Y2K Spitfire appeared at Oshkosh this year, and took away a Warbird "Lindy" Award, a "Phoenix" Award, and two Golden Wrenches. Awesome!
    Last edited by OldGuy59; 08-09-2018 at 08:19.
    Mike
    "Flying is learning to throw yourself at the ground and miss" Douglas Adams
    "Wings of Glory won't skin your elbows and knees while practicing." OldGuy59

Quote Originally Posted by Guntruck View Post
    Just got a couple of Condors from AIM (as well as some He219s and Ta152s), which will go to the top of my painting schedule. Here's a couple of pics showing the AIM one alongside my Del Prado Condor in the same scale. The AIM one is noticeably 'tubbier' than Del Prado's. I intend to paint one up as a Luftwaffe maritime reconnaissance/bomber, and butcher the other in to a Lufthansa variant.

Must get myself one of those for my North cape convoy game.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Quote Originally Posted by OldGuy59 View Post
    I'm supposed to be working on a card for the FW.200, but it is getting lost in other activities.

Last night, I was out at the Y2K Spitfire Gala, in the company of some awesome people, including the Guest of Honour, W/C James 'Stocky' Edwards, DFC and Bar, DFM, etc. And these two guys:

Name:	TwoSpits.jpg 
Views:	184 
Size:	75.5 KB 
ID:	252588
    The Vintage Wings Roseland Spitfire (back left) and the Historic Flight Foundation's Czech Spitfire (front right). And I hope to have the video of the dual engine run up by the weekend.

Historic Flight.org - Spitfire Mk IXe
    Note: This plane appeared at Duxford in 2015.

Note: The Y2K Spitfire appeared at Oshkosh this year, and took away a Warbird "Lindy" Award, a "Phoenix" Award, and two Golden Wrenches. Awesome!
    What a superb photograph Mike, and W/C James 'Stocky' Edwards, DFC and Bar, DFM, as well!
    You lucky chap.
    Rob.

Back when Dave was working on the Mosquito he asked of any other planes some might want. The Fw 200 was my wish and he came through. Glad to see others are getting them and support what Dave (AIM) and Kevin (MISCMINI) are doing for models and decals.

Oh yeh, stats...................umm..........forgot?
    Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

First cut of a Condor card. All stats are placeholders until the statsmeister produces the official unofficial ones .

Comments on fire arcs appreciated.

First cut of a Condor card. All stats are placeholders until the statsmeister produces the official unofficial ones .

Comments on fire arcs appreciated.

I really like this card. It would save me a bunch of work.

For the aft dorsal turret (3), it appears to be similar to the He.111 B-Stand, so it would have a full 360 degree above (white octogon), and a much wider on-level arc. The tail would still block a wide swath of this position on-level.

See the videos for the He.111 on You Tube for reference. He 111 Top Gunner B Stand

Also, the on-level gun position dots should be red, with blue 'center of plane/card' and tailing dots. If numbers 1 and 4 are for the ventral guns, they should be gold/yellow. And depending on the variant, the FW.200 could have waist guns on the left and right.
    Last edited by OldGuy59; 08-12-2018 at 10:42.
    Mike

Ah! That Condor moment Gunners.
    Rob.

Nice card, Steve.
    Did you just give me a new title..........with portfolio.......and responsabilities
    Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

Well, that’s me told then!

Seriously Mike, very useful info about the gun numbering, wasn’t aware what the different coloured hexes were for. And if I hadn’t seen the video I would not have thought it was possible to bring the gun to bear in the forward arc given the size of the hood. Bet it was a bit windy when the gunner tried it.

Back to the jolly old drawing board...

Sounds good to me Karl
    Rob.

Quote Originally Posted by Jager View Post
    Nice card, Steve.
    Did you just give me a new title..........with portfolio.......and responsabilities
    Karl
    Might have..

Ah well, as long as I get my stipend

Interesting video; I could go with 180 level to high, 360 high, and a standard BS for the tail for the rear dorsal gun.
    The ventral gun (#3) FW's Uncle Ted gives it a standard rear arc (5-7 O'clock). I'm thinking more like 4-8, but no more, low only.
    Front gun......I'd go with the standard front arc, low only.
    Top turret, 360 level to high (it rides a good bit above the engines), with a smaller BS for the tail.
    C-3s with the side guns......3-5 O'clock and 7-9 O'clock high to low.

I'll get back with stats.....maybe after dinner.
    Karl

Note: The front gondola gun was sometimes a 20 mm MG 151 cannon, so C/A
    Karl

And here's your stats:
    https://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/sh...458#post481458

Bed time now: work tomorrow after being off the last week.
    Karl

This any better?

This any better?

Steve,
    I now try to emulate this card, for complicated bombers:

Name:	WGS302A-Card B-25B.jpg 
Views:	135 
Size:	104.9 KB 
ID:	252827
    Note that there are two coloured octagons on the dorsal turret. The red centered one on the arc indicating (I beleive) the on-level arc, and the white centered one on the position, indicating the upper 360 degree arc.

For ventral arcs, I use this guide:

Name:	WGS301B-Card He H-5.jpg 
Views:	133 
Size:	88.4 KB 
ID:	252829
    This card shows short and long ranges for ventral turrets, because I believe they could actually hit targets on-level.
    I beleive they only show a short range arc on these guns, as they are shooting at planes one altitude down. However, that doesn't take into account that some ventral turrets can shoot on-level, like the chin turret on B-17Gs or B-29s. Not sure what to do with that.

This is what I ended up with on one of my cards:

Name:	B29A_Card-Plane_30thBS.jpg 
Views:	137 
Size:	231.4 KB 
ID:	252830
    There were turrets with casters on rods on the front of the turrets, to keep them from shooting into the plane. So, they had a limited amount of depression, enough to hit their own plane, if not careful. Using this card, shooting at a plane one altitude below, one has to remember that any hits are at long range damage at half a ruler range.
    I didn't put on-level arcs on this plane, as it was too confusing. Users will have to judge on their own which turret could hit a target. On-level, technically, any target could be hit by any turret.

PS: On this plane, due to the way that turret controllers could use more than one turret, and to get any sense out of the management card, I numbered the gun positions differently. All on-level and dorsal guns should be numbered consecutively, followed by ventral guns. I just couldn't get the management card and the plane card to work together with that configuration, and allow for the controllers to be identifed with their respective turrets (shown on the management card {OldGuy59's WWII US Bombers Album - B-29A Superfortress Management Card} to reduce clutter on the plane card).
    Last edited by OldGuy59; 08-13-2018 at 10:14.
    Mike

Fritz Rumey's Albatros D.V ... almost done

Name:	RUMEY2.jpg 
Size:	81.4 KB 
ID:	252833Click image for larger version. 

Name:	RUMMEY1.jpg 
Views:	134 
Size:	62.4 KB 
ID:	252834

Not really the thread for this, but:
    On ventral guns, Mike, I would not let the ones like the He.111 nor the Fw.200 shoot level. A true turret could (probably), but not those.
    The dustbin gun on the Ju.52 "bombers" probably could also, as they stuck far enough down to get the angle.
    Karl

Looking good Ezekiel.
    Rob.

Quote Originally Posted by Jager View Post
    Not really the thread for this, but:
    On ventral guns, Mike, I would not let the ones like the He.111 nor the Fw.200 shoot level. A true turret could (probably), but not those.
    The dustbin gun on the Ju.52 "bombers" probably could also, as they stuck far enough down to get the angle.
    Karl
    Steve, we should move the FW.200 discussion to this thread: FW.200 Condor Stats
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by OldGuy59 View Post
    Steve,
    I now try to emulate this card, for complicated bombers:

Name:	WGS302A-Card B-25B.jpg 
Views:	135 
Size:	104.9 KB 
ID:	252827
    Note that there are two coloured octagons on the dorsal turret. The red centered one on the arc indicating (I beleive) the on-level arc, and the white centered one on the position, indicating the upper 360 degree arc.

For ventral arcs, I use this guide:

Name:	WGS301B-Card He H-5.jpg 
Views:	133 
Size:	88.4 KB 
ID:	252829
    This card shows short and long ranges for ventral turrets, because I believe they could actually hit targets on-level.
    I beleive they only show a short range arc on these guns, as they are shooting at planes one altitude down. However, that doesn't take into account that some ventral turrets can shoot on-level, like the chin turret on B-17Gs or B-29s. Not sure what to do with that.

This is what I ended up with on one of my cards:

Name:	B29A_Card-Plane_30thBS.jpg 
Size:	231.4 KB 
ID:	252830
    I’ll There were turrets with casters on rods on the front of the turrets, to keep them from shooting into the plane. So, they had a limited amount of depression, enough to hit their own plane, if not careful. Using this card, shooting at a plane one altitude below, one has to remember that any hits are at long range damage at half a ruler range.
    I didn't put on-level arcs on this plane, as it was too confusing. Users will have to judge on their own which turret could hit a target. On-level, technically, any target could be hit by any turret.

PS: On this plane, due to the way that turret controllers could use more than one turret, and to get any sense out of the management card, I numbered the gun positions differently. All on-level and dorsal guns should be numbered consecutively, followed by ventral guns. I just couldn't get the management card and the plane card to work together with that configuration, and allow for the controllers to be identifed with their respective turrets (shown on the management card {OldGuy59's WWII US Bombers Album - B-29A Superfortress Management Card} to reduce clutter on the plane card).
    Must be a bit hard of thinking - had the B25 card in front of me but didn’t twig that the turret had two octagons. That makes sense. Also had the Heinkel card too, but that just confused the hell out of me OK, re-think part deux.

Also with the dorsal/ventral gun configuration on the Condor, there seemed to be no blind spots, disregarding the limiting arcs to stop them shooting the tail off. Agree?

Must be a bit hard of thinking - had the B25 card in front of me but didn’t twig that the turret had two octagons. That makes sense. Also had the Heinkel card too, but that just confused the hell out of me OK, re-think part deux.

Also with the dorsal/ventral gun configuration on the Condor, there seemed to be no blind spots, disregarding the limiting arcs to stop them shooting the tail off. Agree?
    Steve, I'm trying to be consistent, with things that really aren't the same. Ares seems to be developing, as new planes arrive, as well. References don't agree, to boot, making any attempt to match historical accounts and published stats questionable. Then, we are trying to get all that to conform to this game's mechanics, and make it easy and playable.

Go with what seems good to you, and we'll see what comes out on the official card sometime in the future. I'm hoping they copy all our brain straining, but they'll probably put out something different so they don't have to pay us consulting fees.
    Mike

So I finally decided to try these Valom kits that I've read about. They should come with a "R>75y/o rating"! It gets tough on these old eyes to get all those small parts together, but I wanted to do a couple of Nieuport 11's for some of the old Watch Your Back cards. I eventually decided to do Tieffry's N-11 despite the fact that it was not in the cards, but since my heritage is 50% Belgian, it was just too much of a temptation. So, I'll have to figure out how to do a card for him, but can just scan Buzio's from WYB. Without any pride of workmanship and with the epoxy blobs (reasonably hidden in the photos) that keep the wings hopefully sturdy enough for table play, here's what the bench looks like after returning home from Gencon and getting a start on these:

Name:	WP_20180816_002.jpg 
Views:	102 
Size:	119.7 KB 
ID:	253092

Name:	WP_20180819_001.jpg 
Views:	100 
Size:	90.5 KB 
ID:	253093

I know what you mean about the eyes. I have 1/72 armor kits I built years ago but the new kits have such small parts so I would rather sell them then try to build them. Looks like you are doing good on the planes though.

A few things:

Name:	august 20 001 (640x360) (2).jpg 
Views:	94 
Size:	248.0 KB 
ID:	253157Click image for larger version. 

Name:	august 20 001 (640x360) (640x360).jpg 
Views:	93 
Size:	205.1 KB 
ID:	253158Click image for larger version. 

Name:	august 20 003 (640x360).jpg 
Views:	95 
Size:	211.0 KB 
ID:	253159
    Test of Honour stuff.

Name:	august 20 006 (640x360).jpg 
Views:	95 
Size:	212.1 KB 
ID:	253160
    What a Tanker mdf dashboards

Name:	B (360x640).jpg 
Views:	96 
Size:	196.5 KB 
ID:	253161
    Everything less the buildings for What a Tanker demo game.

Name:	B (640x360).jpg 
Views:	97 
Size:	188.1 KB 
ID:	253162
    The last vehicle conversion for Simon's US Airborne forces, 120+ figures.

Name:	august 20 019 (640x360).jpg 
Views:	94 
Size:	232.6 KB 
ID:	253163
    What a Tanker practice demo game....up close and personal (Both US tanks were taken out next go)
    See you on the Dark Side......

Oh....and I forgot Simon's British too:

Name:	august 20 001 (640x360).jpg 
Views:	91 
Size:	220.3 KB 
ID:	253164Click image for larger version. 

Name:	august 20 003 (640x360).jpg 
Views:	90 
Size:	220.0 KB 
ID:	253165Click image for larger version. 

Name:	august 20 005 (640x360).jpg 
Views:	88 
Size:	205.1 KB 
ID:	253166Click image for larger version. 

Name:	august 20 007 (640x360).jpg 
Views:	87 
Size:	189.1 KB 
ID:	253167

Bloody hell - thats not a hobby its a full time job - really well done Neil

Never Knowingly Undergunned !!

Outstanding work. You all make me envious of your work.

Just checked out the What a Tanker site. Looks good and it takes in different scales. I have many 1/72 armor and picked up a few 10mm models. I might have invest in those rules. Thanks for posting to photos and the name of the game.

matt56's Avatar May you forever fly in blue skies.
    Major

Users Country Flag

Name
    Matt
    Sorties Flown

You're a whirling dervish with these, Neil! What lovely work - Simon has to be chuffed about all these lovely bits and bobs...

I had not heard of the 'What a Tank' game system - I have been focusing on 'Tanks' - I will have to give it a look-see...

All the best,
    Matt

Game report and hopefully a You Tube video of game at show will follow.

Also might do a quick how to play video and game report.

Neil

Nice job Neil. Do the rules work well?

That little lot is certainly worthy of some rep Neil.
    Wot!! a tank load.
    Rob.

Nice job Neil. Do the rules work well?
    For a quick fun and frustrating game yes. Want loads of realism....Infantry and all the rest no. It's purely tank v tank. With lots of choices.

Looks like fun - the local club used to run a 'Tiger Hunt' game many years ago using 1/35th kit - looks like it may play along similar lines.

"He is wise who watches"

All projects on hold while doing a complete remodel of the bedroom/man cave.

What scale John?

Quote Originally Posted by john snelling View Post
    All projects on hold while doing a complete remodel of the bedroom/man cave.

My latest painting project, and only has something to do with hobbies, except as it impacts my ability to work on graphics, and spend time painting anything else.

Name:	IMG_20180821_163633.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	118.3 KB 
ID:	253204
    This is what my home office looks like this afternoon, with all the computers and network gear in a pile in the garage. Depending on when the second coat and trim are done, I'll be building some custom furniture and shelves to rebuild our 'work' stations. Then, I'll be back to graphics and hobby painting.
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Skafloc View Post
    What scale John?
    It is 13x17ft, 1 to 1 scale. I wish it was 1 to 10 scale.
    Decided on a German underwing blue.
    Got get it done.

Cheers, John

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Missions

1. What's on your workbench: August 2016 Edition
    By Guntruck in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 33
    Last Post: 09-07-2016, 17:30
  2. What's On Your Workbench For August 2015?
    By csadn in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 84
    Last Post: 09-05-2015, 02:33
  3. Whats on your workbench for August?
    By richard m schwab in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 82
    Last Post: 08-26-2014, 13:42
  4. Guns of August August 23rd - 25th , 2013 Williamsburg Virginia!
    By richard m schwab in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 91
    Last Post: 11-16-2013, 05:07
  5. What's on your workbench for August?
    By clipper1801 in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 117
    Last Post: 09-01-2013, 11:29