Ares Games

Thread: OTT BE Mission 24: The Cornered Beast Strikes Back

Default OTT BE Mission 24: The Cornered Beast Strikes Back

OTT BE Mission 24: The Cornered Beast Strikes Back

With apologies to Andrew Wareham. The plot similarities will be evident to anyone who has read his rather entertaining series called “Innocents At War”. But what the heck, I like the ideas and enjoyed the series!

Prologue:

20th October 1918

Lt Alan Mcleod was sitting on the edge of his bed. On the other side of the hut, lounging on the only other piece of furniture he had, a scruffy old armchair, with its horsehair stuffing trying to escape via the various rips and tears in its fabric, was 2nd Lt Arthur Hammond. Arthur had only just returned from a period of rest and was still non-operational, having not yet fully recovered from a wound he’d picked up.
    “Looks like things are finally going our way Alan, don’t you agree?”
    “Looks that way Arthur, yes. Reports say that the entire German army is on the run, but I’m not sure I believe it. We’ve heard tales like that before, only to find the Hun present in great strength any time we go over to their side of the lines.”
    “Ah yes. I suppose you’re talking about last month.”
    “Maybe I am Arthur, but right now I don’t want to think of that. Lets move on and think of more positive things, like winning the war and going home in one piece.”
    “OK, but another time perhaps. I’m due to see the quack for a change of dressing in five minutes. Got to go old chap. Chin up, the end looks in sight.”

But Lt Alan McLeod was feeling moody now. The reminder of what had happened in September nagged at him and wouldn’t go away. Memories flooded back as he lay on his bunk and tried to get some sleep. Oh yes, he remembered alright. The story, told to him by Richard Turpin, had started with the arrival of a couple of rookies, fresh from school. He lay there thinking it through:

Early September 1918

Harold Medlicott was in charge at the time!

“Ye Gods Harold, have you met those two little nurds that just turned up in “Daddy’s” automobile. I swear, if that little s*it, “Uppity” or whatever they call him, opens that damned loud mouth of his one more time, I’m going to shove something very nasty down his thoat and watch when it goes bang.”
    “Hey, calm down John. What’s the problem?”
    “Bloody Ulysses Yors, that’s the problem. Hasn’t been here five minutes and he’s telling everyone how to fly properly; he’s giving orders to the Ack Emmas like he’s some kind of engineering expert and really upsetting them all, and now he’s in the mess mouthing off about how “Daddy” is the Member for Apple bloody something or other in Kent and has just been appointed as some kind of sodding adviser to His Majesty’s Government; on the acquisition of raw materials from the USA. Oh, and he wants us to know that he is very, very rich. I swear I’m going to kick him until he’s black and blue if he goes on like this.”
    “Quite finished, John?” Harold had said, very calmly.
    “Uh?”
    “I said, are you quite finished? The fact of the matter is, John, it is entirely wasted energy, getting all stewed up about a little public school idiot. Because the chances are he won’t last until the end of the week. As you must be fully aware, old son, we have a war on and the Hun are knocking our lads out of the sky, right now, at the rate of ten of ours to one of theirs. All because of this bloody new Fokker bi-plane. Only, our orders are to carry on regardless. The Brass seem to think that a couple of hundred sons of the wealthy, born and bred to die for their country anyway, are a cheap price to pay to keep the reconnaisance boys out of harms way. That way we get to knock out far more of their boys on the ground. That, in turn, means we get to win the war. So you see, young Uppity, being the loud mouthed new boy that he is, will simply justify his father’s expenditure on a very expensive, so called, education, and go forth and die, within the week, perhaps sooner. You on the other hand, with several months of experience already under your belt, may even survive the war, let alone the next few days. So lighten up, old son, and leave him to me. He’s mine ok?”
    “But that means he gets to fly one of the new Sopwith Snipes! Hell wreck it.”
    “Your point being?”
    “Oh hell, ok. So long as you keep them both away from me, I’ll shut the hell up.”
    “Good, now off you go and simmer down. On your way out, perhaps you would be so kind as to ask Corporal Thomas to go tell 2nd Lt Ulysses Peter Yors and his friend, 2nd Lt Richard Brain, to report to me forthwith.”
    “Right. By the way, did you know that those two were at school together in Kent.”
    “No I didn’t. But in that case we’d better make sure they are not in the same flight. Tell Richard Turpin he’s got Brain.”
    “Ha, I’m sure Richard will have some idiotic joke to tell about that one.” And with that 2nd Lt John Roberts took his leave, feeling rather better, having offloaded some of his anger onto the shoulders of the ever patient Captain Harold Medlicott.

Back in the here and now, Alan McLeod smiled to himself as the memory returned to him. That way of dealing with things was so like Harold. He’d been a good skipper.

McLeod dozed for a few seconds more, not settling comfortably on the bunk, turning from side to side, the poor circulation in his legs giving him trouble. But the memories continued anyway:

“2nd Lt Ulysses Peter Yors reporting for duty, sir”. He stood to attention, very smart and very young, in his brand spanking new RAF uniform.
    “2nd Lt Richard Brain reporting for duty, sir”. He too stood to attention, also very smart and very young, in his brand spanking new RAF uniform.”
    “Quite” said Captain Medlicott. Which rather threw the newcomers, who were expecting some kind of formal, jolly, welcome and a chat about how much their arrival was appreciated.
    “Sit down the pair of you” and Harold Medlicott lit a cigarette and stared at them for a few moments. Which the new boys found quite disconcerting. Actually, right then, Harold Medlicott was wondering if it was worth his while even aquainting himself with their names. He expected to have to bury them, or report them as “missing” in a few days and had already put in for their replacements. He took a long drag on his cigarette and inhaled the smoke deeply, before exhaling again, slowly.
    “You call me Harold, unless there’s Brass around. Which of you said he was Yors?”
    “That was me, sir. I mean Harold” said U.P Yors, 2nd Lt, and the son of a Member of Parliament.
    “What did they call you at school?”
    “Pardon, sir, Harold?”
    “Am I going to have to repeat everything I say to you, lad?”
    “Ah, no sir, Harold sir, they called me Uppity, Harold”.
    Harold Medlicott sighed.
    “Right, Uppity, you’re with me. We’re up in twenty minutes. Off you go. Report to Peter Piper and he’ll tell you exactly what I expect of you. You’re flying one of the new Snipes. Look after it. We’ll have another chat, about how we do things here, when we get back, if you you don’t die in the meantime. Right off you go.”
    Uppity hesitated.
    “Bugger off , now. Go on, get on with it”
    Uppity turned and all but ran from the office.
    “And what God forsaken nickname did they give you at school?” This next question addressed to the remaining new boy.
    “Dic ky, Harold”
    “Really, why?”
    “On account of my surname, Harold. Its Brain, and the staff at the school wouldn’t allow anyone to refer to me as D*** Brain.”
    “Mmm. Right. Well “Dic ky”, you’re with Richard Turpin. So the same applies to you. Go forth and find out, bloody quickly, what he expects of you. You too are up in twenty minutes, only you are flying a Sopwith Camel, not a Snipe. Off you go then, chop chop.”
    “Can I ask one question first, please, Harold?”
    “What is it?”
    “I thought we’d get some time to look around first. I mean familiarize ourselves with the area, before going over the lines, so to speak. Is that what we’re doing today?”
    “Are you kidding? What do you think this is, a bloody advanced flying school. In case you hadn’t noticed, there’s a war on. The Hun has the upper hand right now and are knocking our lads out of the sky left right and centre. We haven’t got time for you to go swanning around the countryside sightseeing, old son. Oh no. You’re going to have to learn the hard way. You learn quickly, or you die quickly. Simple really, now bugger off and get on with it.”

And that, according to Richard Turpin, was how Harold Medlicott had dealt with his introduction to those particular new boys. But the next part of the story was rather more serious.

McLeod rolled over onto his side, still trying to doze off. After all, he’d been on duty, non-stop, for the past 18 hours! His disturbing memories continued to interfere with sleep though:

Having liaised with “B” flight’s leader for the day, 2nd Lt Richard Turpin, Harold had agreed that their respective offensive patrols would go north and south for a distance, then turn around and cross over in around one hours time. Turpin would take along “Dic ky” Brain, together with another new pilot, 2nd Lt Monty Pitton; Harold would have “Uppity” with him and a rather more experienced pilot 2nd Lt Peter Piper. The rest of the Squadron, including all of the other available experienced pilots, were also out on offensive patrols. Heaven help them if they ran into one of those bloody flying circus groups the Hun were so fond of.

“All very well fighting an “offensive” war,” Harold had argued, “but the Hun, fighting their “defensive” war, have all the advantages – except one. Numbers. For all that their large formations are difficult to deal with, and right now are proving highly successful, never the less, numbers will grind them down. Especially if new boys like “Uppity” and “Dic ky” are prepared to do their bit, even if ever so briefly. Despite what John Roberts said, you have to hand it to these kids. They knew the odds were stacked against them and yet still they came. Takes a special sort of courage that does.”

And with those thoughts in his head, on they had flown.

The Mission

One hour later
    Well, I guess the story was already getting too long and Alan McLeod was very tired and rapidly dropping off to sleep. So, to cut a long story short, one of the patrols, led by 2nd Lt Richard Turpin, flying Sopwith Camels, were bounced by four Fokker DVIIs.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BE24 1.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	226.5 KB 
ID:	252211 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BE24 2.jpg 
Size:	229.5 KB 
ID:	252212
    ( DVIIs flown by following pilots: Red – Obltn Fritz Brünig; White – Ltn Paul Beckmann; Blue – Ltn Max Heller; Yellow – Ltn Mark Muller)

The Fokkers passed through them, firing as they went,

Name:	BE24 3.jpg 
Size:	278.2 KB 
ID:	252213 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BE24 4.jpg 
Size:	231.7 KB 
ID:	252214
    (Sopwith Camels flown by following pilots: Stackards 9 Naval (Blue Circles) - 2nd Lt Richard |Turpin; Ellwoods 3 Naval (Red Hearts) – Rookie 2nd Lt Richard Brain; RNAS 209 (Light blue and white markings) - 2nd Lt Monty Pitton)

and before he knew where he was, Turpin was on his way home with a serious leg wound, that will probably keep him out of things for a while to come, if not for the rest of the war.

Name:	BE24 5.jpg 
Size:	231.2 KB 
ID:	252215 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BE24 6.jpg 
Size:	229.9 KB 
ID:	252216

Despite that, he had gritted his teeth and had, with the rest of his flight recovered well enough to turn home and at the same time, to face the enemy. They had all returned fire as best they could, doing quite a bit of damage themselves. They even managed to see off one of the DVIIs, a yellow one, that headed back towards its own lines for reasons known only to its pilot (wounded).

Name:	BE24 7.jpg 
Size:	231.7 KB 
ID:	252217 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BE24 8.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	254.3 KB 
ID:	252218

Name:	BE24 9.jpg 
Size:	241.1 KB 
ID:	252219 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BE24 10.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	238.4 KB 
ID:	252220

As it happened, not long after, the other patrol arrived. With Richard Turpin on his way home and the odds at three to two, with both the survivors relatively inexperienced or green as grass, the arrival of three Snipes, on cue as planned, was a welcome sight.

Name:	BE24 11.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	230.1 KB 
ID:	252221 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BE24 12.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	241.0 KB 
ID:	252222
    ( Sopwith Snipes flown by the following pilots: Barkers 201 Squadron (Stripes fuselage rear) – Cpt Harold Medlicott (the only ace for the entente); Kazakovs Slavo British (Beige fuselage rear) - 2nd Lt Peter Piper; Ryries 4 Squadron (No 8) – Rookie 2nd Lt Ulysses Peter Yors)

Or it should have been. However, relief turned to despair very quickly. There was a brief fight in which bullets flew in all directions, not all of them very effective. There was also one collision, a portent of things to come, although in this case no serious damage was done.

Name:	BE24 13.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	247.1 KB 
ID:	252223 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BE24 14.jpg 
Size:	247.2 KB 
ID:	252224

But in a flash, the lead Snipe, piloted by Captain Medlicott, was seen to be spinning earthwards, flaming brightly as it went.

Name:	BE24 15.jpg 
Size:	223.4 KB 
ID:	252225 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BE24 16.jpg 
Size:	241.5 KB 
ID:	252226

Name:	BE24 17.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	218.7 KB 
ID:	252227

He was quickly followed by a second Snipe, after it collided mid-air, with the third member of their flight (who luckily survived). The second, doomed, aircraft was flown by a new boy, “Uppity”, who less than an hour ago had arrived from training school to tell everyone what a marvellous pilot he was. Well, he was last seen also spinning to the earth, with most of his wings blown away. Not much chance there I’m afraid.

Name:	BE24 18.jpg 
Size:	230.4 KB 
ID:	252228 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BE24 19.jpg 
Size:	249.9 KB 
ID:	252229

Name:	BE24 20.jpg 
Size:	210.0 KB 
ID:	252230

The afternoon was turning into a particularly disastrous affair, as far as the entente pilots were concerned. But lady luck has a nasty habit of cocking a snoop at all of us. So, just when the remaining British pilots were wondering if they could even survive this encounter, bang!

“What the hell happened there?”

Name:	BE24 21.jpg 
Size:	273.5 KB 
ID:	252231 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BE24 22.jpg 
Size:	291.7 KB 
ID:	252232

A collision between the Fokkers. Not just two of them, but three! Impossible you say! Well the evidence was there before the eyes. Two Fokkers, narrowly avoiding one another, one red, the other white. But a third Fokker, a blue one, attempted to fly between them, going in the opposite direction. It was not impossible, it happened. The result? Two of them lost bits of wing and heavens knows what else and disappeared, in the direction of the lost Snipes. The third one, the white one, flew on apparently unharmed.

Name:	BE24 23.jpg 
Size:	244.3 KB 
ID:	252233 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BE24 24.jpg 
Size:	220.2 KB 
ID:	252234

Which left odds of three to one. Except that the remaining Snipe disappeared off to the North somewhere, probably hunting butterflies or something just as silly. Whatever it was, it took no further part in the proceedings. So now the odds were two to one. With one German ace against an inexperienced pilot and a rookie. My money would have been on the DVII to take them both out. But that was not to be.

Name:	BE24 25.jpg 
Size:	217.7 KB 
ID:	252235 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BE24 26.jpg 
Size:	239.1 KB 
ID:	252236

Name:	BE24 27.jpg 
Size:	224.5 KB 
ID:	252237 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BE24 28.jpg 
Size:	227.5 KB 
ID:	252238

They circled one another for a while, hesitating to commit to the attack. Then, when finally they managed to face each other, the shooting was so bad that nobody hit a thing. Twice they did that. Kids at a fairground, shooting for plaster duck prizes, would have done a better job!

Name:	BE24 29.jpg 
Size:	231.0 KB 
ID:	252239 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BE24 30.jpg 
Size:	228.1 KB 
ID:	252240

Name:	BE24 31.jpg 
Size:	225.2 KB 
ID:	252241 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BE24 32.jpg 
Size:	217.5 KB 
ID:	252242

Name:	BE24 33.jpg 
Size:	217.5 KB 
ID:	252243 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BE24 34.jpg 
Size:	230.7 KB 
ID:	252244

Until finally, it was the rookie, no less, who scored big time. Luck perhaps, or maybe this particular rookie just happens to be a good one. Whatever the answer, the German pilot was so shaken up, by the accuracy of this chap’s machine gun fire, that he flew just that bit too close to the other Camel.

Name:	BE24 35.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	181.0 KB 
ID:	252245 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BE24 36.jpg 
Size:	238.7 KB 
ID:	252246

Name:	BE24 37.jpg 
Size:	259.4 KB 
ID:	252247 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BE24 38.jpg 
Size:	266.4 KB 
ID:	252248

Bang! And that was the end of the last DVII. Another collision! Extraordinary! And once again the other pilot flew on unscathed. Four Fokker DVIIs knocked out of the fight, but not one Fokker DVII shot down! Unusual to say the least.

Name:	BE24 39.jpg 
Size:	230.4 KB 
ID:	252249 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BE24 40.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	248.8 KB 
ID:	252250

The survivors were not complaining though. They flew back to the barn to report the day’s action. And it was then, when they were so tired and at their most vulnerable, that Alan McLeod had given them the sad news . The artillery crews, nearby the spot where two Sopwith Snipes had been utterly wrecked, had already reported that the broken and charred remains of the Captain, and the rookie, “Uppity”, had been found. Both had been killed. As had two of the German pilots, following their collision. Their aircraft also coming down in the same area. A black day for everone that was. A black day in September, when Alan McLeod had lost a friend and a first rate leader.

It was down to him now, to take Harold’s place. A hard act to follow. Then, at last, he went to sleep.

The end

Butcher’s Bill

Entente

Name:	BE24 41.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	169.4 KB 
ID:	252251

Captain Harold Medlicott DFC; MC; CdG / SD FLM ET / WIA x 2 / No kills
    Roll 2D6 = 6 -2 FLM -2 WIA +1Ace +1F/Ace = 4 – Injured - Skip 1D6 Scenarios. Rolled 1 !
    E&E: Rolled 9 -1FLM -2WIA -1WIC -1BEL = 4 - Captured and escaped! - Skip 1D3 Scenarios. Rolled 3 = Skip 2
    Result - Skips 2

2nd Lt Peter Piper RTB / 1 kill (Collision with Fokker DVII White counts)
    Result – All Good

2nd Lt Ulysses Peter Yors / COL ET / No Kills
    Roll 2D6 = 2 -2COL = KIA
    Result KIA RIP

2nd Lt Richard Turpin / RTB / WIA / No Kills
    Roll 2D6 = 8 +3 RTB = 11 – 1 WIA = 10 All good when you land well.
    Result All good

2nd Lt Monty Pitton / RTB / No kills
    Result All good

2nd Lt Richard Brain / RTB / No kills
    Result All good

Central Powers

Name:	BE24 42.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	168.9 KB 
ID:	252252

Obltn Fritz Brünig EKI; EKII; PB; Wbs / COL FT / 1 kill
    Roll 2D6 = 5 –2COL +1 ACE = 4 Injured skip 1D6 scenarios = 3
    Result Skip 3 scenarios

Ltn Mark Muller / RTB / WIA / No kills
    Roll 2D6 = 9 + 3 RTB – 1 WIA = 11 – All good when you land well.
    Result All good

Ltn Max Heller PB; WBb / COL FT / No kills
    Roll 2D6 = 4 – 2 COL = 2 – KIA

Ltn Paul Beckmann WBb / COL FT / No kills
    Roll 2D6 = 3 – 2 COL = 1 – KIA
    Result KIA RIP

Victory Conditions

Central Powers : Shot down 1; one downed in Collision with own side; One forced to retire.

Entente: Shot down nil; two downed in collision with own side, one in collision with enemy; one forced to retire.

Result: A draw which was very expensive for both sides. I need a new leader for both camps please Uncle. I nominate Alan McLeod for the Bulldogs and Ltn Mark Muller as temporary leader for the Eagles, whilst Brüner recovers. Hope you have no objections. Any rank changes I leave to you to decide.

An interesting mission. Thanks Peter. It was really nip and tuck for a long while. Well balanced until lady luck decided to step in and spoil things. The number of collisions was quite extraordinary I fear. The luck of the cards and the dice were against both sides today – which is unusual. I hate losing a pilot. To lose four dead and one more hors de combat for probably the remainder of the campaign just sucks – but I guess its realistic historically.

I didn’t use altitude rules. I used the D6 charts that Peter wanted for the aces and decided to use the charts from the same series for all aircraft. I did play one aircraft – Medlicott’s Snipe, but as usual the cards wiped me out very quickly. All other aircraft were played as AI for the entire mission.
    Sorry not to include all the damage information this time (did you even notice ). My daughter is expecting any minute now and I wanted to get this posted before grandchild number four arrives.
    Hope you enjoy the read.

Cheers
    Mike
    Last edited by mikeemagnus; 08-06-2018 at 04:49. Reason: Tally Adjust !

PS. I meticulously drew damage cards against the Entente pilots, clearing the lot, before drawing damage for the Central Powers pilots. That, and maybe to help anyone reading this lot, any firing by CP pilots is shown using a red range stick. The entente firing is shown using a blue one.
    Cheers
    Mike

Smile

Mike I think you might have "dudded" Cpt. Medlicott!
    As an Ace/Flyimg Ace you should add at +2 to his rolls which should see him Injured but not dead.
    I am sure Uncle will be along to sort things out.
    Ye Gods those Fokker pilots must have been blind to have so many collisions.
    I think you have just set a new record for collisions in a game.
    Great story line as usual.
    Rep Inbound.
    Last edited by gully_raker; 08-03-2018 at 19:11.

I am lost for words!
    Not the scenario I expected to read.

Now I am worried for my own Eagles when it comes time to play this.

Had me confused at the beginning when you mention Peter Piper heading home with a serious leg wound when I think you meant Turpin

Piper was flying a Snipe in the second wave.

I also think you ended Muller's day too soon - an "A3" is not grounds for leaving - it's a "B3" - needs the "A5" to force disengagement.
    Not that it would have made much difference the way things were playing out for the German pilots this day - maybe it is best he got away.

That there is no clear winner after all that really rubs it in, doesn't it?
    Losing a DFC is tragic - maybe as Baz pointed out things are not what they may seem.

But all is understandable - you had grandchild number 4 on your mind!

Congratulations! I am off to see my 4 Canadian grandchilluns tomorrow.

P.S.
    and maybe to help anyone reading this lot, any firing by CP pilots is shown using a red range stick. The entente firing is shown using a blue one

That's the way I play it as well - unless I just use one stick to keep things simple.

REP on the way if my Spandaus are working.

P.P.S. Really a shame to lose a pilot with such a terrific moniker in his first outing.

P.P.P.S.
    REP on the way if my Spandaus are working.
    and, of course, they are not. Most apropos ....

P.P.P.P.S. Did you remember to use the rookie rules for two of the Bulldogs? May not have mattered with all the collisions.
    Last edited by Stumptonian; 08-03-2018 at 20:34. Reason: P.P.P.P.S.

Baz has the right of it Mike - Medlicott is not KIA !
    And so did Pete with the WIA on Muller but maybe it felt worse than it looked or there was blood in his goggles !
    He also got Piper/Turpin right so Uncle sorted that for you.
    Good solid AAR though - close and bloody action, or, should that be too bloody close and action !
    The WoGames Gods were not kind at all with those dice rolls were they

Uncle says:

Well chaps, the loss of a leader is never a good thing, though word is he has survived it looks like he won't be back before the show's over.
    Mr McLeod is next in line and will step into his shoes, so business as usual.
    The Hun's took a beating, looks like their losses were worse than ours, seems they lost their leader in the fracas.
    (Ltn Kurt Parschau will now lead the Eagles as senior man)
    Last edited by flash; 08-04-2018 at 04:03.

Sapiens qui vigilat... "He is wise who watches"

Did you remember to use the rookie rules
    I did indeed Pete. That's something I hope I got right One rookie didn't last long enough to worry about that. The other jammed once, if I remember correctly, and he took 4 moves to unjam. He also took damage before applying any, but since I did that for all entente pilots anyway, it didn't make a difference. The surviving rookie never came close to going down, so was always able to apply any fire returned. In fact he didn't do much at all, until the last couple of manoeuvers. I don't remember him picking up any rudder jams either. Anyway, I tried

Seems like I made quite a few errors, as usual. But hey ho. Thanks for pointing them out and thanks Uncle for putting things right for me. One question then. If I should have added +2 to Ace rolls, would that affect the outcome for Brüner too? Grateful you check for me Uncle I'd rather not lose him for the rest of the campaign.

Regarding the large number of collisions - Might have had something to do with the application of unfamiliar movement charts. They worked pretty well for me, most of the time. But I'm not 100% certain I applied the charts correctly always. Some of the movements generated were very peculiar. Some didn't even appear to be covered - hence the odd flying of the Snipe that went awol. I'm pretty sure I got it all correct with regard to the < and > signs. But some I was very unsure of And on occasion I puzzled over the overlap / parallel charts a bit. But as you say, I have other, rather more important things on my mind at present and it is only a game and I try my best; for both sides

I wish everyone else well with the mission. Despite what happened, I still think it is a well balanced scenario, giving both sides a reasonable chance of success, ace skills aside that is.
    Chau for now,
    Mike

Think you meant Fritz Brünig Mike - he does get a +1 for his ace skill but that's not enough to change his overall result. I will correct the tally though.

Sapiens qui vigilat... "He is wise who watches"

Setarius's Avatar May you forever fly in blue skies
    Users Country Flag

Name
    Dale
    Sorties Flown

All I can say Mike is WOW! It seems the Keystone Cops were flying your planes for this mission. I've never seen so many collisions in so short of a time.
    What a way to achieve a draw. RIP pilots.

Agreed Dale. I'm going to fly it again, only this time use the D8 charts I'm used to. See if it makes a difference. I'll also see if I can manage it using altitude, which no doubt will resolve the collision problem
    Last edited by mikeemagnus; 08-06-2018 at 04:47.

Hi Mike sorry to be so late responding to your game, I am in the wilds of France and internet is a problem viewing posts with a lot of pictures.
    An outstanding game for lots of reasons, but especially the collisions, although maybe with 10 planes on the table thats going to happen, law of averages.

Very nice opening write up, enjoyed reading that a lot.

Hopefully everything went well with the arrival of a new grandchild.

Cheers

Great tale as usual Mike. Sad to see your leader taken out of the fight but at least he survived. Brutal outing for your Huns!

As for collisions, I always use the collision cards when not flying with altitude or there are way too many.

Agreed Peter, the collisions were bad in this one. I'll give the collision cards a go and see how I get on with them, although I'm not sure collisions in dogfights were that infrequent. I guess they would be pretty disastrous if they occured. Does anyone have any statistics on that one?

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by mikeemagnus View Post
    Agreed Peter, the collisions were bad in this one. I'll give the collision cards a go and see how I get on with them, although I'm not sure collisions in dogfights were that infrequent. I guess they would be pretty disastrous if they occured. Does anyone have any statistics on that one?
    Mike I have been following a thread over on the Aerodrome Historical site & there were quite a few collisions particularly in the later 2 years due to more Aircraft being flown in dogfights & bombing missions. Most were with own side but occasionally with enemy. Still not a big % but mostly fatal to both but sometimes one of the pilots got lucky.

Well I will say this, Mike you never fail to deliver an enthralling story line.
    Sorry for your losses.
    Kyte.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Similar Missions

1. BRF OTTBE Mission 24: The Cornered Beast Strikes Back - by teaticket
    By Teaticket in forum Over the Trenches
    Replies: 29
    Last Post: 08-15-2018, 14:13
  2. Multiplayer: WGF EF02 - Sapozhnikov Strikes Back (WGF scenario for 1 or 3 players)
    By Carl_Brisgamer in forum WGF: Mission Discussions
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-21-2016, 06:39
  3. Replies: 14
    Last Post: 02-10-2016, 04:36
  4. A three-cornered contest.
    By Zoe Brain in forum WGF: After Action Reports
    Replies: 30
    Last Post: 08-13-2012, 03:53
  5. Mission 9: Lotti Strikes Back! (After Some Problems With The French)
    By Wolfbiter in forum WGF: After Action Reports
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 10-23-2010, 14:19