Ares Games

Thread: Yeovil Model Show 2019

Default Yeovil Model Show 2019

Whilst at Bovi this year we were approached by Ken who organises The Yeovil Model Show asking if we would be interested in running games at his event next year. I couldn't commit but if there are any pilots interested in taking this on then please make contact with Ken via yeovilmodelshow@gmail.com

Event date is 23rd March 10.00 - 1600 at Bucklers Mead Academy & LED Leisure, Yeovil BA214NH
    £5 on the door if visiting, £2.50 for U16's w/adult; U5's free.

I found this video of this years event - some very interesting models on display for all tastes.. from historic to sci-fi, from busts and figures to machines various... I did like the X-Wing Red Arrow !

https://www.facebook.com/yeovilmodelshow/

"He is wise who watches"

Let me check this year’s term times and i’ll See if I’m free that weekend.

If I took the lead on this, who in the south west has a banner I could borrow?

- Neil.

I have a banner Neil. Don't think this clashes with anything else and if that's the case I'll be there. I've pencilled it in to the diary.
    I've also put a prelim note on the diary. Over to you Neil
    Last edited by mikeemagnus; 08-03-2018 at 02:54.

Well done chaps, I will leave it in your capable hands.

"He is wise who watches"

I have put that in the diary, and would like to assist

Rob

I'd like to make it, too.

I used to live in Yeovil, many years ago.

It's too far ahead to commit at the moment, but I'll keep it in mind.
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

Mike, Rob and Tim

Thanks for putting your hats in the ring, very much appreciated. And apologies Mike for not thanking you sooner.

Tim - understand, will confirm with you nearer the time.

I need to follow up on this, so will take care of that this week.

-Neil.

Thanks for your initiative and effort on this event Neil.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Okay, I've had the paperwork through from the organizers. As standard we get three 4 x 2ft tables. Additional tables are charged at £3 per table. I am considering requesting a fourth so we end up with a 8 x 4ft space. One of my 6 x 4ft Deepcut Studio mats will sit nicely on there with a little space at each end to keep damage caddies, counters etc. Going to 8 x 6ft would make reaching the middle a little awkward and mean 3 extra tables. not sure it is worth it.

We get 5 wristbands. Additional wristbands are £2 each. Currently I'm not intending to request any more.

If anyone has any violent objections, please speak up. Plan is to submit the paperwork and payment by the middle of this week.

- Neil.

All the best to you Neil.
    I hope that you get plenty of support for this event.
    Rob.

Go for it Neil - all sounds good to me. Just picked up the thread again having been away for a time, but if you need anything doing towards this just give us a shout

It's in my diary, I'll come down if I can.

Sounds like a plan Neil, go for it !

"He is wise who watches"

Finally getting around to confirming table is booked. 8ft x 4ft with hopefully enough chairs!

Current thinking, dependent on stuff actually being released is to be a bit avant garde and split the table between Tripods and BSG using 3ft x 4ft playing spaces. Open to being talked out of it however if there dissent in the ranks

- Neil.

I'd be inclined to go with WW1, at least for half of the table; that's what Ken saw at Bovi, so that's what he thinks he's getting...................

He may be a bit put out to find his "Wings of War Aerodrome" game replaced by a couple of Sci-Fi bashes!

This is a rather large conundrum Neil. Under the auspices of Wings of War Aerodrome or the Anchorage, neither BSG nor Tripods has as yet been officially ratified by Keith. In order to represent ourselves as one or the other and then do something off piste would not be acceptable. You should PM Keith to get his acquiescence with any suggestion of this nature before embarking on it.
    Rob.

I'd prefer WW1 myself. I've played T & T with Mike "Old Guy 59" in Canada and it was a fun game, but I've not seen hide nor hair of my Kickstarter order yet, so haven't been near the idea since. Also, I haven't sampled the BSG game yet, so no idea what it's like. Like Rob says its a conundrum Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by NeilCFord View Post
    Finally getting around to confirming table is booked. 8ft x 4ft with hopefully enough chairs!
    Current thinking, dependent on stuff actually being released is to be a bit avant garde and split the table between Tripods and BSG using 3ft x 4ft playing spaces. Open to being talked out of it however if there dissent in the ranks - Neil.
    On an 8x4 there should be room to have a couple of 'tables' running as we've done in the past Neil. I'd be inclined to go along with Tim's approach and kick off with WW1 for the morning, then switch out one side to TnT say - we should have had it for a month by then (What am I saying ?!) - it's still WoG orientated and it will be an opportunity to gauge the response we're likely to get at a bigger event. If it's anything like Origins was it could get pretty crowded ! Then maybe put up a BSG sesh to round out the day.
    It may be worth your while letting Ken know your plans but there's such a wide range of interests at the model show I reckon he'd be more than happy to let you run with it.
    Looking ahead for Beachhead in 2020, if it warrants it I'm sure we can talk Peter into letting us have a separate table for TnT &/or BSG, like SoG has, if you wanted to run one.

"He is wise who watches"

I still feel Keith should be asked first for the sake of protocol.
    Rob.

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte View Post
    I still feel Keith should be asked first for the sake of protocol. Rob.
    BSG has already been played at Prague, an official 'wings' event; sure TnT has already been played at events in Italy, Canada & at Origins in the US. Pretty sure they will both be played at Doncaster & Prague in the coming year too. We even have a specific sub-forum for Tripods so I don't see why it should be an issue to play either at an event in the UK after their release but if you can show me the protocol I'd happily ask if it's required.

"He is wise who watches"

As we are trialing TnT at Vapnartak, albeit with rather larger tripods and a converted Zeppelin to boot, it's only the aircraft that will resemble WW1 stuff at this rate.

Apologies if that threw more spanners in the works.

Neil (skafloc)
    See you on the Dark Side......

To keep everyone updated:

As delivery of T&T is looking perilous for the end of March, this will be an entirely WWI affair, as per Beachhead last weekend.

I’ll be bringing my 6 x 4 mat and enough planes to play the normal scenarios, but additional planes will be welcome. If someone who is coming can bring a damage deck caddy or two, that would be great. Will try not to mix up people's stuff too much.

Mike - you okay to bring your banner still?

We get five entry wristbands. So far I have myself, Mike, Tim and Dave (possibly), so if anyone wishes to snag the fifth one (or has already offered and I’ve forgotten), please put your hand up.

And if anyone thinks I’ve missed anything, please let me know.

- Neil.

I'm good to go...............

Can bring my banner if needed.

Planes, of course!

Might also bring my model airfield (well, it IS a Model Show, after all!).

Dear Mike and Tim

Could you please PM me your email addresses. I have had the info through from the event organiser and would like to forward it on as it contains stuff about how to find the venue and unloading / parking.

Regards
    Neil.

PM sent

PM sent again, this time with CORRECT email address!

I'm getting so old......................

Moving house the Thursday beforehand..... so.... we'll see....

"He is wise who watches"

PM sent Neil - sorry for slow reply but been somewhat tied up with other matters recently I'll bring my gear along, but with Tim being present I guess it will remain in the boot Included will be the banner and caddy etc.
    Chau for now.

I might be able to get to this one now, will confirm this week

Quote Originally Posted by mikeemagnus View Post
    I'll bring my gear along, but with Tim being present I guess it will remain in the boot
    I'm always happy for other folks to use their gear instead of mine!

Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post
    Moving house the Thursday beforehand..... so.... we'll see....
    Dave

Moving comes first! But would be good to see you if you can get a day pass from Mrs Flash.

- Neil.

I'm always happy for other folks to use their gear instead of mine!
    I think you deserve a break Tim - I'm bringing all of my gear, so if you want a nice relaxed trip for a change, be my guest. See you there

Dave

Moving comes first! But would be good to see you if you can get a day pass from Mrs Flash.

- Neil.
    I think she has the idea to seriously clean house - something she enjoys (??) particularly when I'm out of her way... so it's looking good

"He is wise who watches"

Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post
    I think she has the idea to seriously clean house - something she enjoys (??) particularly when I'm out of her way... so it's looking good
    Having never met Mrs Flash I didn’t want to suggest she might welcome having you out of the way, but given that s new information, sounds like a plan!

Having never met Mrs Flash I didn’t want to suggest she might welcome having you out of the way, but given that s new information, sounds like a plan!
    Well I won't complain that's for sure.

"He is wise who watches"

Sorry chaps, real life has gotten in the way again and I will not be able to make to this show after all, I will be driving North instead of South to help out at parents this weekend.
    Have a good time and i hope to see you all at a later venue

Cheers Chris,
    shame not to meet up again but hope all goes well up north.
    Laters
    Mike

Chris - Thanks for letting us know and sorry you can't make it. Hopefully catch up with you soon.

Okay, quick roll call:

Confirmed
    Myself
    Mike
    Tim

Possible
    Dave

That leaves one spare wristband if there are any last minute takers. First come, first served, even if you can't be sure until tomorrow morning and turn up on a whim. If we end up over subscribed I'll sort it.

Currently I'm planning to be there between 8.30 and 9.00am. Should give us enough time to get setup by the 9.45am deadline.

See everyone tomorrow.

- Neil.

Cheers Neil. I'm also aiming to arrive between 8.30 and 9.00 am. See you then.

Well that was a real fun event. Thanks Neil, Tim and Dave for a great day. Can't say I started very well, as in the firsty two encounters, flying a Camel as Tim's wingman (yes Tim flew for the entente today - wow - impressive) against Dr1s, I was despatched in short order, both times, in the first three or four damage cards After that things improved and in the end I think honours were fairly even. I don't think I managed to collide with Tim once, but only because he took evasive action every time I drew near . Dave and Neil proved very canny opponents and that made the day pass very enjoyably.
    Tim has all the pics, I think, so hopefully one or two will appear later.
    Once again, thanks guys, it was a pleasure.

Yep, great day out, got me chilled out after the house move and a privilege to play with such fine company. My luck was definitely in

"He is wise who watches"

Glad to hear you all had a good time, and thanks for putting the games on chaps.
    Also glad to hear your move went successfully Dave.
    Rob.

Yes, a fun day out.

Fortunately, I managed to circumvent the M.O. and get along, despite not feeling my best.

My worse-than-normal performance I blame on my flying for the Entente for a change, not on below-par health.

Despite this, it was one of the best events I have attended recently, from a game-play point of view.
    The mood was relaxed, the banter first-rate, and the skill displayed by my wingman and opponents made for intense and absorbing dogfights.
    Some outrageous card-draws punctuated the action, of course, but the flying skill of the players, particularly evasive action when outnumbered, was impressive to say the least.
    "Slippery bu88er!" was a frequently-used comment.

Avoiding Mike's collider-Camel was an added concern, but I succeeded all day long!

The venue was much more a "model show (with a handful of wargamers)" rather than our usual "wargames show (with a handful of modellers)", and as such was a nice change of pace.

I hope to be able to post a few pictures later.

My thanks to Neil, Mike and Dave for making the games so enjoyable; and special thanks to Neil for organising it all, and providing all the kit.
    Cheers, gentlemen!
    Last edited by Flying Helmut; 03-24-2019 at 06:40.

Thanks for posting the video. What a wonderfully eclectic group of figures. Incredible creative dioramas.

Here's to them what are like us. Damn few and they're all dead.

A big THANK YOU to Dave, Mike and Tim for making it along to the show. Very much appreciated.

Quiet day participation wise but we did have a few conversations and hopefully generate some interest (if people can find somewhere to buy stuff). Regardless we had some fun games which helped pass the time. Tim has done an excellent job covering the day's highlights

Would definitely go back next year if asked.

- Neil.

Similar Missions

1. Have we got a date for 2019 yet?
    By Guntruck in forum Past Prague Summer Cons
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 08-27-2018, 03:31
  2. Historicon 2019
    By BobP in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 08-06-2018, 13:42
  3. World War 1 in Miniature Model Show
    By zenlizard in forum Hobby Room