Ares Games

Thread: Line of Sight Changed?

Default Line of Sight Changed?

A quick question - when did the line of sight rules change?

At Devizes last week I was all set up for a good shot at an enemy kite but the line of sight from my aircraft's peg to the target crossed another aircraft's base, which was judged as a blocked LOS. I've always understood that you had a valid shot if your gunnery ruler could make contact with any point on the target base, and the most recent copy of the rules I have is the Duel Pack rules, where it says

If it is not possible to reach any point of a target base without the edge of the ruler crossing crossing another base then the line of sight of the firing airplane is blocked
    Thats from the rules in 2012, so when did they change to LOS being blocked between pegs? How out of date are my rules? And what other things have sneaked in that I've missed?

Back to Wings of War rules?

In Burning Drachens, and I suspect even from Famous Aces: "If it is not possible to reach any point of a target card without the edge of the ruler crossing another card, then the firing plane's aim is blocked (although it may be able to shoot at a different target)."

Overlapping planes do not block line of sight though, so if the firing plane's aim crosses a plane card that is in an overlap situation with the firing plane, it doesn't count.

So, this isn't a new rule.

PS: There may be a conflict with a house rule? If you usually target peg-to-peg, you may not have considered cards or bases as a blocked line of sight. However, peg-to-peg shooting is not in the game rules, IIRC.
    Mike
    "Flying is learning to throw yourself at the ground and miss" Douglas Adams
    "Wings of Glory won't skin your elbows and knees while practicing." OldGuy59

Quote Originally Posted by David Manley View Post
    A quick question - when did the line of sight rules change?
    At Devizes last week I was all set up for a good shot at an enemy kite but the line of sight from my aircraft's peg to the target crossed another aircraft's base, which was judged as a blocked LOS. I've always understood that you had a valid shot if your gunnery ruler could make contact with any point on the target base, and the most recent copy of the rules I have is the Duel Pack rules, where it says
    If it is not possible to reach any point of a target base without the edge of the ruler crossing crossing another base then the line of sight of the firing airplane is blocked
    Thats from the rules in 2012, so when did they change to LOS being blocked between pegs? How out of date are my rules? And what other things have sneaked in that I've missed?
    They haven't DM, the rule is as you quoted - the peg to peg thing is a fad probably born out of the blind-spot rule that does measure from centre to centre.
    Send three & fourpence ....
    Last edited by flash; 07-27-2018 at 00:58.

"He is wise who watches"

Boo Hiss - you were robbed Dave !

Never Knowingly Undergunned !!

Similar Missions

1. Line of Sight and altitude question.
    By Furuta in forum WGF: Rules Help
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-17-2015, 04:04
  2. Does "Overlapping Airplanes" rule cancels" Line of Sight" rule?
    By Marechallannes in forum WGS: Rules Help
    Replies: 31
    Last Post: 05-26-2014, 16:01
  3. SE5a Aldis telescopic sight.
    By mik in forum WGF: Historical Discussions
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 08-09-2013, 00:46
  4. Alot has changed
    By afilter in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 04-26-2011, 00:51
  5. Line of Sight when overlapping