Ares Games

Thread: M-Con 2018 - Wings of Glory Appearance

Default M-Con 2018 - Wings of Glory Appearance

This year, M-Con 2018 is on the 15th and 16th of September.

Name:  mosaicon-banner2018Comp.jpg
Views: 444
Size:  97.4 KB

Info for this year can be found here: M-Con.ca

Last year's event: M-Con 2017 - Wings of Glory Appearance

No schedule up yet, but I'm organizing an appearance. And, perhaps if the stars align correctly, there may be another special Game Host making an appearance. More to follow as things develop.

Name:  M-Con2018_AceCards1.jpg
Views: 402
Size:  236.6 KB
    Last edited by OldGuy59; 07-18-2018 at 09:04.
    Mike
    "Flying is learning to throw yourself at the ground and miss" Douglas Adams
    "Wings of Glory won't skin your elbows and knees while practicing." OldGuy59

OK, so I finally got in contact with the Games Coordinator. I have table space and time slots.

I will be running four games over the weekend, with Tripods & Triplanes in the morning on both Saturday and Sunday, 10 AM to 12 PM.

Then, Snoopy takes on the Red Baron, with Raymond Collishaw and the Black Flight. This will be an earlier battle, and von Richthofen will be flying the Albatros D.III. Perhaps. That will be Saturday afternoon from 1-4 PM

On Sunday afternoon, the 78th Anniversary of Battle of Britain, observed the third Sunday of September in Canada, I will be hosting a monster Battle of Britain game. Yeah, I said I wouldn't promote the Ares planes, and I won't have any Ares fighters on the table, but there are people who want to play this game.

Anyway, I may have a guest on Sunday, from England, to help coach new players in the finer points of Wings of Glory. Pictures to follow...
    Mike

I'll be there Mike, never fear. All booked up Still waiting on certain relations to finalize plan for the last few days of the trip, but they have just moved house and son has changed jobs, so chaos reigns. We'll get there in the end

Just got a publicity boost from the Museum, for my appearance at this Con. I will be able to commemorate the Canadian Anniversary of Battle of Britain Sunday with a pop-up banner from the RCAF.

Name:  IMG_20180905_093927.jpg
Views: 374
Size:  221.5 KB

This should help draw attention to my WGS Battle of Britain demo game on Sunday afternoon.
    Mike

Nice, Mike. You deserve it for all the work you put in to support the game.
    Hope it helps you get a crowd.

Great to see that you are getting the support that all your efforts have deserved Mike.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Tomorrow...

Martians against the World in the morning.

Name:  M-Con2018_TT_AceCards_RFC-A.jpg
Views: 394
Size:  252.9 KB

Snoopy against the Red Baron in the afternoon.

Name:  M-Con2018_WGF_AceCard_LP_RFC.jpg
Views: 344
Size:  213.2 KB
    Snoopy is soo going to need this.

So much fun to be had...
    Mike

Set-up on Saturday morning:

Name:  IMG_20180915_093054_edit.jpg
Views: 365
Size:  221.1 KB

Saturday Morning:
    Tripods will try to traverse the map, going from upper left to lower right. Depending on the number of players, I may need an extra tripod, or two.

Available for the participants: Sopwith Triplanes (including home-town boy Raymond Collishaw), Fokker Dr.1s, a rocket-armed Nieuport 11, and a cannon-armed SPAD XII.

I will be piloting a Mk I and a Mk II (I have a Mk III and IV if I get a full table.)
    Mike

Can't wait to see the outcome of this Mike.
    Rob.

So, an hour, or so, standing around, and just about to pack up the Tripods, Wyatt shows up and wants to know how the game is played. Being that he was pretty young, I started with a one-on-one dogfight. Wyatt flew a Dr.1 and I took a Nieuport 11. What followed was a protracted fight for MY life. Wyatt intuitively understood the game, and was ahead of most of my explanations. Nick, Wyatt's dad showed up a little later and started coaching Wyatt. Then, as I was more than halfway through my damage rating, Ruth came along, a three-time attendee of my games at M-Con, with Katie, another previous player, and her initiate younger brother. They joined in as a free-for-all game, and Nick jumped in as well.

I was first out, no surprise, and coached the rest of the players.

Eventually, it was down to Ruth and Katie, and Ruth ended up the last plane flying.

Name:  IMG_20180915_140226.jpg
Views: 324
Size:  228.4 KB
    Left to right: Ruth, Andrew, and Katie.

No Tripods menaced, but it was after One PM, so I set up for Snoopy vs the Red Baron.

Name:  IMG_20180915_143358.jpg
Views: 334
Size:  220.7 KB

I have already had one demo session of the rules, but not a game. Yet.

PS: I dealt out Ace cards about half way through the game, and Ruth received the Lucky Pilot skill. At the end of the game, Ruth had amassed 10 cards, for a total of 4 points! That included collisions and 37mm shots from Katie's SPAD XII.
    Mike

Pity about the tripods Mike, but it is obvious that everyone had a great time and that's what matters.
    Thanks again for the pics.
    Rob.

Met Mike [mikeemagnus] at the Convention Centre around 9 AM, and the fun began. For Mike. Not so much for my poor Tripods, nor my He.111 They were badly mauled, mostly by Mike, although he had significant assistance.

I'll add to this thread tomorrow, but for now, some teasers....

The Death of a Mk.II Tripod:
    Name:  Death of MkII_Comp.jpg
Views: 332
Size:  200.3 KB
    Chris flying Lothar, Wyatt with Kirschstein (On top of my damaged Mk.I), Dave flying the Batwing under Ann's (Wyatt's Mom) Triplane, and Mike unloading two rockets into the unarmoured side of my Mk.II. The upper "A" damage was from Dave's 37mm cannon-armed Batwing. Althought the cannon did significant damage to the Mk.I in a previous phase, he followed up that with a close-ranged shot into the unarmoured side of the Mk.II, which softened up the Mk.II for Mike. Then I drew the "D" damage seen above. Down in flaming bits went the Mk.II.

Down in Flames:
    Name:  Down in Flames.jpg
Views: 327
Size:  166.3 KB
    Not content with taking out my Mk.II in the morning's game, Mike follows my He.111 as it attempts a bombing run over a city in England. Mike's Vic of three Spitfires put three phases of hot .303 lead into the wounded bomber (attacked by Katie at the beginning of the scenario with her Vic of No.1 RCAF Sqn Hurricanes), and down in flames it went. It almost reached it's target, but blew a large flaming hole in a farmer's field, with no loss of British civilian lives. Wyatt had attempted to shield me with his remaining Me.109, but we were overlapped, so Mike got to ignore Wyatt for the big win.

Name:  He-111-shot-down.jpg
Views: 324
Size:  106.1 KB
    Mike

OK, so for Saturday afternoon, no-one showed up to help Snoopy take on the Red Baron.

Sunday, Mike [mikeemagnus] arrived to play and coach as mentioned above. He also took some supporting photos.

Tripods & Triplanes Demo:

Mike's view of the battle, as he lauched rockets at the Mk.II Tripod. Mike anticipated the Mk.II moving directly into his path, on its way to the next objective, and he hoped to hit the unarmoured side of the tripod. We all know how that worked out (see above post for the next phase picture).
    Name:  IMG_20180916_120600Comp.jpg
Views: 311
Size:  237.7 KB

The players of the Tripod game, about half-way through...
    Name:  IMG_20180916_120619Comp.jpg
Views: 327
Size:  139.5 KB
    Left to right (My bad for not getting all the names, but some jumped in as the game progressed): Not sure; Chris?; Dave [Panzer_elite]; Peter (Dave's companion in crimefighting, not playing); me; Wyatt; and Wyatt's mom, Ann.

Battle of Britain Day Commemoration Scenario:

Players assemble...
    Name:  IMG_20180916_133221Comp.jpg
Views: 673
Size:  231.3 KB
    Left to Right: Katie, Wyatt, me, and Ruth.

Initial scenario set-up:
    Name:  IMG_20180916_133231Comp.jpg
Views: 314
Size:  236.8 KB
    Top center of the map (to the right of the pile of range sticks): Three Hurricanes of No. 1 RCAF Squadron, flown by Katie;
    Far top right, off the coast: Two Bf.109s flown by Wyatt;
    Center right: He.111 flown by me;
    Bottom right: Two Bf.109s flown by Ruth;
    Bottom left: Three mixed Spitfires flown by Mike [mikeemagnus].

Mike's Spitfires commence the lead storm against the He.111:
    Name:  IMG_20180916_141633Comp.jpg
Views: 314
Size:  216.9 KB
    The Bf.109 in the way (not for long) was Wyatt's Schwarm Leader, attempting the first screening job. He did draw fire away from the bomber.

Another view of the bomber going down, showing Wyatt's attempt to screen the damage. His plane was just under the corner of the bomber stand, so overlapping and not blocking line of sight. He survived, the He.111 didn't.
    Name:  IMG_20180916_145321Comp.jpg
Views: 331
Size:  219.9 KB
    The Bf.109 was the Schwarm second, and he actually got off the table alive (may have been because we called the game, but who knows...).

End Game:
    Mike took pictures of the presentations (Thanks, Mike!).

Ruth takes the first choice of planes as the player with the most victories:
    Name:  Most Kills-Ruth.jpg
Views: 313
Size:  128.9 KB

Katie survives with all three Hurricanes:
    Name:  All Planes Survived-Katie.jpg
Views: 318
Size:  137.7 KB

Wyatt took the Bullet Magnet Award, as I wasn't eligible for a prize. Wyatt attempted to protect the bomber with his planes, as he didn't get into good firing positions keeping formation with the bomber, and the Spitfires coming in from the rear. Really, well flown, and awesome maintenance of the mission (protect the bombers), Wyatt.
    Name:  BulletMagnet-Wyatt.jpg
Views: 291
Size:  140.4 KB

And that was M-Con 2018 for the Wings of Glory participants.

Thanks to the M-Con team for holding the convention and allowing me to share my passion. Thanks to Curious Comics Nanaimo for the prizes! Thanks to Mike and all the participants for playing!
    Last edited by OldGuy59; 09-17-2018 at 16:55.
    Mike

Again well done Mike! Sorry I can't REP you . . . no ammo

Well done, Mike! It looks like you put a great deal of effort into that convention.

Great pics of the action, Mike.
    REP on the way.

Thumbs up

Well done Mike!
    A great result for all the hard yards you put into making it a big success.

Rep Inbound.

Well done Mike and... Mike ! He's a canny player & a great coach, we missed him at Colours. Glad you chaps were able to meet up.

"He is wise who watches"

Good to see the pictures of the team, and of course your Mark II Tripod Mike.
    Thanks again for posting.
    Rob.

So I figure I should through in my experience with the Tripods & Triplanes demo.

Me and Chris Came in half way through the battle. I blazed in like a bat out of hell with my Batwing and made a straight beeline for the main tripod - in doing so I literally crashed through another plane causing no damage to myself. I launched my rockets directly into the things unshielded side knocking over and causing ridiculous amounts of damage. That was pretty much the blaze of glory... after that I spent most of my time running into circles trying to get proper shots off and eventually falling victim to a heat ray that sent me smoking away.

Great game, felt like a Hero! lol

Like your style Dave.
    It reminded me of my Insanity Clause vs the Rude Baron.
    just no Tripods in those days, but you can never say never!
    Rob.

Holy Anachronisms Batman!!!
    What maneuver deck did you use for the Batwing?
    Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

Hey Jager,
    I picked up a plane that I thought look neat so I could hijack its deck for the Batwing. I went with a WW1 Albatros - which admittedly wasn't as agile as I would have liked but I didn't really know what I was doing. I believe its a J deck?

Nice card! Yes, the Albatross D.III uses the J deck. The D.Va is faster with the B deck.
    Really with this, any deck would do. As long as you have fun with it
    Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

I think I would give it an N (SE.5a)
    Faster and some nice short sideslips.

Quote Originally Posted by Stumptonian View Post
    I think I would give it an N (SE.5a)
    Faster and some nice short sideslips.
    Pete,
    An 'N' Maneuver Deck would certainly give the Batwing some agility lacking in the 'J' Deck. However, finding an S.E. 5a to get one could be a challenge.

Unless Dave had a friend with spare 'N' Decks sitting in a plastic case in his garage, waiting for paper planes that might never get assembled.
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Stumptonian View Post
    Or the promised reprints ....
    Pete,
    I'm thinking that 'friend' could get Dave an 'N' deck no later than Curious ComiCon Naniamo, on the 4th of May, 2019. Probably much, much faster than waiting for a reprint.

PS: If Dave wanted to try out the N deck in the mean time, he could check out the MATES cards.

WWI Files Section: WGF MATES (Maneuver Templates) - Folding Version
    Mike

Back in the good old U.K. again, with some great memories and, concerning M-con, it has all been said above, except for me to thank OldGuy59 for a great event and a fun day. Thanks Mike I don't know if it is very well known that Mike runs this as a one man show. For two days. Travelling between Comox and Nanaimo each day. That is some undertaking. I know - I've tried something similar, but with plenty of help! And Mike's enthusiasm and patience is boundless. Thanks buddy - you do one hell of a job

It was also great to meet the local players and to finally come face to face with the renowned "Batwing". Nice one Dave

I'll add that Mike and Donna then hosted myself, Yon, son and partner, for a wonderful bacon and maple syrup waffle breakfast, on the day following M-Con, before Mike showed me around the Comox Aircraft Museum (See Officers Mess posting to follow later today).

Once again, many thanks Mike and Donna for helping us to have a great stay in Nanaimo and Comox, Vancouver Island. Very much appreciated buddy

Welcome back Mike. Glad you had a great time.
    Mrs. K.has a Sister living on the Island at Nanamio.
    Rob.

Missed this AAR, somehow.

Great AAR, Mike.

I'm shure the gamers had fun with Tripods, Snoopy and the Huns over England.
    Voilą le soleil d'Austerlitz!

Similar Missions

1. Queensland Wings of Glory WW1 & WW2 at Briscon Apr 28-29, 2018
    By Carl_Brisgamer in forum Australian Wing
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 05-07-2018, 04:00
  2. British Columbia: CoVaCon 2018 - Tripods Make an Appearance!
    By OldGuy59 in forum Canadian Wing
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 04-20-2018, 15:13
  3. Wings of Glory WW2 at Cancon 2018
    By Carl_Brisgamer in forum Australian Wing
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 01-22-2018, 06:22
  4. British Columbia: M-Con 2017 - Wings of Glory Appearance
    By OldGuy59 in forum Canadian Wing
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 09-21-2017, 08:43
  5. British Columbia: MosaiCon - Wings of Glory Appearance