Ares Games

Thread: Family Game Store Wings of War/Glory, 5 July 2018

Default Family Game Store Wings of War/Glory, 5 July 2018

Traffic was much lighter on the day after the Fourth of July so I arrived well before the planned start time. I had my camera, but I failed to check the battery status. No juice. Bob had his iPad so we took some photos of the status of aircraft when shot down, but not much else.

AAR #1 - Dogfight. Bob, Jim, and I flew Albatros D.IIs against Todd, Will, and BalticBob with Nieuport 17s. We faced each other across the narrow dimension of Todd's mat and had at each other. Early on Will took fire damage, but kept in the thick of things. Jim takes accumulated battle damage and Will succumbs to that fire. Now it is two against two.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	one.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	168.3 KB 
ID:	251240

Lots of maneuvering for quite some time. For four of five firing exchanges, Todd just could not hit me. I was either just out of firing arc or just beyond firing range; once by about an 1/8 inch. Todd was getting really frustrated, but I hasn't having a lot of luck getting on his tail, either. Several gun jams, on Todd's part, also saved me. Finally on the same attack we each drew a Boom card and were out of the game. Now one on one.

Name:	Two.jpg 
Size:	156.0 KB 
ID:	251241

More twisting and turning to the two lone aircraft, when Bob takes enough damage to crash and BalticBob is the sole allied survivor. An hour and 45 minutes for a dogfight is a long game for us. I don't know if the pilots are getting better or we just cannot shoot straight.

Name:	Three.jpg 
Size:	131.4 KB 
ID:	251242

AAR #2 - Bomber mission. Will and BalticBob fly American DH-4 (with A firing guns in front and back) with Todd, Jim, Bob and myself controlling Fokker D VIIs. Bob owned the Hermann Goering D VII and wanted to fly it, while the rest of us used Todd's common squadron D VIIs. We had three potential targets for the bombers to attack.

BalticBob goes down from accumulated damage some distance from his target. Todd shows off three gun damage cards he received from BalticBob's rear gunner. It is difficult to take out the trailing aircraft when you keep getting jammed.

Name:	Four.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	165.1 KB 
ID:	251243

Will had a much better time since his DH-4 was as fast as our Fokkers. He just flew straights and was difficult to catch. However he failed to announce his bomb drop at the correct moment. He overshot the target, and had to circle back. This is when Todd and I caught up to him. I believe my gunfire resulted in Will drawing a Boom card. The mission was a complete failure for the Allies.

Name:	Five.jpg 
Size:	148.4 KB 
ID:	251244
    So how many books are in your personal library?

Nice one Robert - thanks for sharing. Looks like you had a lot of fun

Looks like some good action going on there Robert

Sapiens qui vigilat... "He is wise who watches"

Nice Jasta 15 birds!

Thanks for sharing the pictures.
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

Similar Missions

1. Family Game Store Wings of War/Glory, 14 May '18
    By RJG173 in forum WGF: After Action Reports
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 05-22-2018, 20:49
  2. Family Game Store Wings of War/Glory, 11 July '16
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 07-13-2016, 15:20
  3. Family Game Store Wings of War/Glory, 09 May '16
    Replies: 11