Ares Games

Thread: Wings of Glory online stockists UK and store based in bristol/bath area

nicksutton1974

Default Wings of Glory online stockists UK and store based in bristol/bath area

Hi everyone,

Asa newbie to wings of glory I am struggling to find anywhere that sells Wings of Glory stuff apart the wondrous ebay! are they any good online retailers in the UK or store based in the Bristol /Bath area?

Many Thanks

Nick

Hi Nick - I know how you feel, I've only just started buying planes this year and some can't be had for love or money and some just require a tremendous amount of money.

I've bought the duel sets from Amazon and they seem good value at about £12:00 per plane plus all the rest of the stuff that comes with them, I bought 4 and have done some basic repaints to identify the planes, just different coloured nose and tails, will do them properly when I have time.

I've bought once from Green Knight Games online and they were fine, stuff arrived quickly. There are some others if you look on either Ebay or Amazon so see who is selling them and go to their store but I've not used anyone else though.

One thing I would suggest is America, I received an order from Miniature Market in about 2 weeks 7 planes and the postage was about $16 or about £13, I didn't pay for tracking just standard snail mail, which is obviously a risk. I have another order which I'm currently waiting for, this is coming up to 3 weeks now and not yet arrived but again 8 planes and about same postage costs. If it doesn't arrive I'll let you know.

One thing I've noticed is the main rule set, if it's less than the normal mad prices, check what language it is, I've nearly been caught out by Spanish, German and French sets, this info is only in the small print.

Good luck with the search and let us know how you go on.

Short answer - no there aren't (stores in Bath/Bristol that is)
    Last edited by David Manley; 07-14-2018 at 06:57.

Hi Nick!
    Try these webstores:
    Spirit games
    Gamesquest
    Battlefield hobbies
    Entoyment

Hope that helps.

Hi Nick

I don't know about your side of the pond, but here in the States one's best bet is usually either Cool Stuff Inc. or Miniature Market. They suffer the same supply issues as most but often have surprising restocks available and notify you immediately upon their receipt of them. They're both competitively priced, reliable and fast (at least that's been MY experience with them). I typically receive my orders within days.

I don't know how being in the UK will affect that but I'm sure it won't be like taking your chances with "evil"-bay...I was recently burned by them. A mistake I'll never make again.

Good Luck!

Hi Nick,
    Sorry - can't help with Blighty...however: -
    I can back up the comments about Miniature Market. Plus their selection is still reasonable.
    Another idea is the Aerodrome Store, which you can access here - see Tab above.
    Cheers & happy hunting.

Be careful when buying from outside the EU. If your order is worth more than £15, H.M. Revenue & Customs may impose V.A.T. at 20% and Parcelforce will then charge you an extra £8 'handling fee' for collecting the V.A.T. on behalf of the Customs.

David is right, I rarely buy from the states for the very reason that us Brits can get charged a hefty fee after arrival at the post office.
    The best prices you will find are often bundles on eBay. Good luck.

Remember that the £15 includes the cost of the postage

You have to do the costings to see if it's worthwhile buying from the States.

I've usually found postage kills it so 1 Albatros to ship from cool stuff is $21.75 and from Miniature Market $5.99 the price for the plane is under $11 from both. My last 2dollar transactions I got 1.25 actual exchange rate. I didn't pay vat on the 1st shipment and I may have to pay it on my 2nd shipment, I don't know yet.
    I paid minimum postage and it's a long way to come so a chance of getting lost and I've no recourse.
    You need to assess this for yourself.
    Cheers

Cheers John. Let us know how it goes re the vat on your next delivery please. I found the postage on miniatures market stays at $5.99 up to 3 planes then goes up to $10.95 for 4.
    Without VAT it's worth the risk IMO.

If only the company based in the EU shipped from the EU.....

I agree Dave. It would remove a good deal of the bother we have not only with re supply, but also this import tax rubbish. I object to Parcelfarce charging me £8 for the privilege of my having to go to the office to collect a consignment which would normally be delivered to my door for the postage price paid.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Try Zatu games and 365games for mail order
    I dont know the stocks but used both these for ships and had no issues so far

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte View Post
    I agree Dave. It would remove a good deal of the bother we have not only with re supply, but also this import tax rubbish. I object to Parcelfarce charging me £8 for the privilege of my having to go to the office to collect a consignment which would normally be delivered to my door for the postage price paid.
    Rob.
    To be fair thats not what they are charging you for. The £8 is the rate agreed with HMRC for the collection of the tax

Try Xen in Australia (Forum member) "Rival Sky Games"

Postage for 1 plane to the UK is about £12, but if you email him (or PM him on here!) he can get 5 planes in a single parcel, and the shipping stays at £12!

I have bought from him 3 times, and have had excellent service every time (and no Import duties, either!)

Also Roland at "Firestorm Games"
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

Gameslore is another UK store to try.

BEWARE, Entoyment do NOT have the planes in stock that they have listed as in stock on their webstore!
    I bought two planes last week, only to find out after a phone call today that they are NOT actually in stock at all (in the seven days since buying them I had no word that they were neither in transit nor in stock).
    These things happen, better book keeping on online stores is not a rare need.
    Last edited by Popsical; 07-16-2018 at 13:16.

Quote Originally Posted by Popsical View Post
    Cheers John. Let us know how it goes re the vat on your next delivery please. I found the postage on miniatures market stays at $5.99 up to 3 planes then goes up to $10.95 for 4.
    Without VAT it's worth the risk IMO.
    Hi Steve
    The parcel arrived yesterday and I had to pay tax at 15% of the value of the parcel quoted by miniature market. Plus the £8:00 charge that the post office make for collection of the tax.

It's added about 25% in total to the cost.

My 1st parcel was a slightly higher value than the 2nd one and didn't attract a customs charge, both were around £85 so no idea why 1 would attract customs and the other not.
    Hope that helps.
    Cheers

The Customs charge seems entirely random to me.

Dozens of parcels, some over £100 in value, from Japan/Pakistan/South Korea/Singapore/Philippines/Australia - NEVER ONCE charged

Several others from USA (at least 6 from Keith!) - only ever ONCE been charged (the smallest AA order ), apart from Miniature Market - CHARGED EVERY TIME!!!!

Half a dozen from Canada - CHARGED EVERY SINGLE TIME!!!!! no matter how small the order value.

Quote Originally Posted by Popsical View Post
    BEWARE, Entoyment do NOT have the planes in stock that they have listed as in stock on their webstore!
    I bought two planes last week, only to find out after a phone call today that they are NOT actually in stock at all (in the seven days since buying them I had no word that they were neither in transit nor in stock).
    These things happen, better book keeping on online stores is not a rare need.
    Speaking to "Entoyment" this past weekend, they say they cannot get stock from "Esdevium Games" any more.
    Since "Esdevium Games" are the sole UK distributor, this does not bode well; hope it's just a temporary glitch.
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

To add to Tims last, it seems Esdevium games is the choke point for Wings and Sails, if Esdevium dont order in, no stockists can get the items.
    Dont know why Esdevium seem to not get Wings etc but I know Mav a year ago spoke to Ares about this choke point but got no reply. Spoke to Roland at Barrage last week he was saying he cant get any Sails kit and it was difficult to get Wings so although Ares say items are available we cant buy due to stockists cant/wont order so Esdevium, it seems, dont bother getting.

Esdevium Games has now re-branded as Asmodee United Kingdom and I too am awaiting a reply from Ares.

"He is wise who watches"

Quote Originally Posted by Vagabond View Post
    Hi Steve
    The parcel arrived yesterday and I had to pay tax at 15% of the value of the parcel quoted by miniature market. Plus the £8:00 charge that the post office make for collection of the tax.

It's added about 25% in total to the cost.

My 1st parcel was a slightly higher value than the 2nd one and didn't attract a customs charge, both were around £85 so no idea why 1 would attract customs and the other not.
    Hope that helps.
    Cheers
    15% seems a bit odd since VAT is currently 20%. It should only be calculated on the declared value of contents not invoice total (ie not carriage) I believe. There are limits low and high which are explained in the far reaches of the HMRC website and may also hinge upon how the contents are described. However it does seem to be largely at the discretion of whoever is handling the consignment. We have noticed with our work shipments that there does seem to have been more attention given to this type of shipment now which is likely a result of the global marketing so prevalent and the efforts some less scrupulous retailers go to in order to reduce the tax burden for their customers/products.

Quote Originally Posted by SeaJaySee View Post
    It should only be calculated on the declared value of contents not invoice total (ie not carriage) I believe.
    No, it includes postage:

VAT
    You pay VAT on goods sent from non-European Union (EU) countries and EU special territories (eg the Canary Islands) if they’re:

gifts worth more than £39
    other goods worth more than £15
    alcohol, tobacco products and fragrances (eg perfume, eau de toilette and cologne) of any value
    You have to pay VAT on all goods sent by mail order from the Channel Islands no matter what their value.

You’ll be charged at the VAT rate that applies to your goods. VAT is charged on the total value, including:

the price paid for the goods
    postage, packaging and insurance
    any duty you owe
    From: https://www.gov.uk/goods-sent-from-abroad/tax-and-duty

Quote Originally Posted by David Manley View Post
    In that case apart from the £8 Royal Mail fee I think our friend got off lightly at 15% .

Quote Originally Posted by SeaJaySee View Post
    In that case apart from the £8 Royal Mail fee I think our friend got off lightly at 15% .
    It's complicated, miniature market declared a value on the parcel of £86:92 based on about $104, the bank converted my transaction at £76:96, this is all including postage. The bank also charged me £2:30 none sterling transaction fees.
    So the £13:03 tax I was charged by Customs was actually based on a higher value for the goods in sterling, than I actually paid. So I paid more tax than I should have.
    Regarding the rate of tax - I have been out of the loop for quite a long time but customs tax rates were different for different products and were not a straight vat at 20%. I was buying steel and steel products and they all had a different tax rate, but this might have changed but I don't understand why my rate would have been 15% if VAT is at 20%.
    At the end of the day I would expect to have paid about £120 plus postage if bought in the UK and I paid £100:30 including postage, tax and bank charges.
    Please note you need to do your own research if going this route and something I did not consider because I don't have a game store within at least 50 miles, is that they can't live with this sort of competition and if you want them to live you have to support them.

Quote Originally Posted by Boney10 View Post
    Try Zatu games and 365games for mail order
    I dont know the stocks but used both these for ships and had no issues so far
    Since it is near Norwich, I visited the Zatu Games shop yesterday morning. It is on a Business Park and was actually closed when I arrived because they are currently short of staff but I actually found their office first and they very obligingly opened the shop for me.

The staff were very friendly and helpful. The shop does not contain everything that is on the website, so I was advised to submit a 'click and collect' order beforehand, if there was something that I particularly wanted from the website in future, and they would arrange for their warehouse to send it round to the shop. However, I did buy a ship and a couple of aircraft.

The shop has been open since last December but they have been doing 'mail order' for longer. It is not large enough to have a demonstration area.

Sadly, I must report from looking at their website, that their prices have increased substantially since yesterday.
    Last edited by Naharaht; 07-19-2018 at 23:14.

I have noticed that the wog prices on Amazon fluctuate substantially (zatu included).
    It seems that we may have an even bigger supply and demand issue before it gets better.

I think that Amazon adjust their prices as the pound goes up and down against the dollar and also according to whether they wish to clear that stock item.

Similar Missions

1. Family Game Store Wings of War/Glory, 14 May '18
    By RJG173 in forum WGF: After Action Reports
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 05-22-2018, 20:49
  2. Family Game Store Wings of War/Glory, 09 May '16
    By RJG173 in forum WGF: After Action Reports
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 05-11-2016, 08:23
  3. Wings Of Glory Store
    By John B in forum WGF: General Discussions
    Replies: 6