Ares Games

Thread: Ebay--Bader Hurricane

Setarius's Avatar May you forever fly in blue skies
    Users Country Flag

Name
    Dale
    Sorties Flown

Default Ebay--Bader Hurricane

Bader Hurricane currently on ebay at auction for $10 plus s&h. Just under 4 days left.

I cannot see it staying at that low price for long, Dale.

The last 20 minutes will get ugly.

Here's to them what are like us. Damn few and they're all dead.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Dale
    Sorties Flown

They had a Lancaster--Grog's the Shot that I saw in the last minute and was $8.50 plus S&H. I tried to put a bid in but it was too late.

I've checked a few of the others that are super low and they are all from the same location and one even said Estate Sale on it.

Smile

Wow that is a low price!
    Will be interesting to see what it finally goes for.

Shipping to Canada, not including Customs charges is more than a new plane, before I get in to the bidding war. Not enticing to me, whether I wanted the plane to complete my collection, or not.
    Mike
    "Flying is learning to throw yourself at the ground and miss" Douglas Adams
    "Wings of Glory won't skin your elbows and knees while practicing." OldGuy59

Quote Originally Posted by gully_raker View Post
    Wow that is a low price!
    Will be interesting to see what it finally goes for.
    $18.52 USD.

I won it and 7 other planes. On 4 of them I was the only bidder. Good news is I won them all at $100 and some change. The bad news is that the seller doesn't combine shipping, so the shipping was $56. If I had known that I wouldn't have bothered to bid. Oh well - live and learn I guess.

It looks like there are some great WoW airplanes ending in the next 24 hours and a couple of BF.110's available for Buy it Now.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobsalt View Post
    $18.52 USD.

I won it and 7 other planes. On 4 of them I was the only bidder. Good news is I won them all at $100 and some change. The bad news is that the seller doesn't combine shipping, so the shipping was $56. If I had known that I wouldn't have bothered to bid. Oh well - live and learn I guess.
    Check your account for a partial refund - ebay is a real pig when it comes to setting up a Seller account; many folks miss the "combined shipping" option.
    Several times when I have bought multiple lots, the sellers have messaged me with thanks for the purchase and notification of a partial refund.

Fingers crossed!
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

Users Country Flag

Name
    Dale
    Sorties Flown

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Helmut View Post
    Check your account for a partial refund - ebay is a real pig when it comes to setting up a Seller account; many folks miss the "combined shipping" option.
    Several times when I have bought multiple lots, the sellers have messaged me with thanks for the purchase and notification of a partial refund.

Fingers crossed!
    I've had that also happen when purchasing multiple items at the same time. I've figured the shipping and found it to be less when everything was done.

Congratulations Bob on your purchases and especially the Bader for under 20. I know. You've been looking for the older planes.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Dale
    Sorties Flown

I just looked on eBay and a Bader Hurricane is on there for $10 for another 7 hours.
    They also have a Zeppelin Staaken and HP 0/400 right now at auction for $10.50 each.
    There are also Bomber flight pegs, HE111 and BF110 at auction cheap for the next 6 days.
    Some of these are from Missouri and some from California.

The eight planes I won on eBay arrived today. Pretty quick, since I won them Sunday night.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	37327186_10209344448648511_3040669474987442176_n.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	234.2 KB 
ID:	251315

2 x D .520, 2 x F4F, Bader Hurricane, Belgian Hurricane, Desert Stuka, and a Martlet. $156 and change for the lot. I wasn't happy about not combining the shipping, but it still works out to a little less than $20 per plane. Considering they're all out of print I guess I shouldn't complain.

I have to say that the Bader Hurricane makes the new ones look pretty pathetic.

Even with the underside roundels on the top?
    I was most disappointed when I got mine a while back.

"I have to say that the Bader Hurricane makes the new ones look pretty pathetic."

agreed! i wasnt even going to get and but i had 2 baders and my buddy tom didnt have one so i traded it to him for one of the new ones. the leading and trailing edge color disparity is pretty glaring.

Quote Originally Posted by Stumptonian View Post
    Yes, because I have decals to fix that. Much easier than having to match colors and fix the paint job.

Quote Originally Posted by Setarius View Post
    There are also Bomber flight pegs, HE111 and BF110 at auction cheap for the next 6 days.
    Put a watch on these and a few others and asked the seller if they did combined shipping.
    They replied that they did, but it was only a few bucks off.

Missed the Zero by a buck - sometimes sniping doesn't work.

All in all not bad I suppose.

Name:	Capture.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	33.1 KB 
ID:	251605

I was going to bid on the Heinkel but got busy with dinner and missed it - went for $43.00 + shipping

Looks good and the Molders acquisition is amazing. Molders was the last model to complete my collection of series 1, but I did not get your deal!!

Pete,
    When doing up my repaint of No. 1Sqn RCAF Hurricanes, it was very much a case of finding a photo of a certain plane on a given day. And, even when orders came down from on high, it depended on whenever the ground crews got around to doing the paint jobs. Then, it also could depend on whether the ground crew interpreted the direction correctly. So, the color scheme on Vader's plane could have been correct, for a given day in July 1940, despite any "official" paint scheme from RAF HQ.

Look at this, if you think that it was all clear and soundly established as the Battle of Britain commenced:

Name:	5a57a219caf5549e92ce3faf5e751fcf.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	160.8 KB 
ID:	251620

Not only did national markings (roundels and tail flashes) change many times between June and August, colors of the underside and top changed, at least, three times in the same period.
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Bobsalt View Post
    The eight planes I won on eBay arrived today. Pretty quick, since I won them Sunday night.

Name:	37327186_10209344448648511_3040669474987442176_n.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	234.2 KB 
ID:	251315

So very sad about the Ares Crappycanes. They were such a disappointment. Ares response to complaints about their acceptance of the shoddy quality was even worse.

Congrats on acquiring some very nice "ready-out-of-the-box" planes.
    Mike

That being said, Mike, I have yet to see a pic with the underside roundel on top.
    Baffles me that Nexus only did one British Hurricane. Did we really need the Russian one that virtually everyone uses for repaints?

Quote Originally Posted by OldGuy59 View Post
    Pete,
    When doing up my repaint of No. 1Sqn RCAF Hurricanes, it was very much a case of finding a photo of a certain plane on a given day. And, even when orders came down from on high, it depended on whenever the ground crews got around to doing the paint jobs. Then, it also could depend on whether the ground crew interpreted the direction correctly. So, the color scheme on Vader's plane could have been correct, for a given day in July 1940, despite any "official" paint scheme from RAF HQ.

Look at this, if you think that it was all clear and soundly established as the Battle of Britain commenced:

Name:	5a57a219caf5549e92ce3faf5e751fcf.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	160.8 KB 
ID:	251620

Not only did national markings (roundels and tail flashes) change many times between June and August, colors of the underside and top changed, at least, three times in the same period.

So Pete, zoom in on the pic he posts on the Bader bird, I think the white in the wing insignia is the problem, it should only be red/blue . . . I have also noted the fall off of prices and fewer bidders of late. I am fearful our game is drifting to the edge of the game verse . . . Unless we get some new shiny toys and a lot of good supply backing we may becoming a lost cult . . . Crimson Sky minis are going for less than their postage these days . . . Just sayin . . . I am wondering if the Martians might be D.O.A. as well, the reprint incentive definitely is . . .

That being said, Mike, I have yet to see a pic with the underside roundel on top.
    Baffles me that Nexus only did one British Hurricane. Did we really need the Russian one that virtually everyone uses for repaints?
    Pete,
    I can't really speak to Ares paint scheme decisions, other that to speculate that they are trying to meet too many demands with a limited inventory. If one is trying to do Eastern Front scenarios, a Russian Hurricane to assist the Yak would be helpful. There are a few other planes with puzzling schemes, if you don't look at a global market.

I have found an interesting image on-line of a Hurricane with no wing roundels, at all (that I can make out), nor tail flash. See this: www.worldwarphotos.info- Groundcrew Refuelling Hurricane, 111 Squadron

Note: No date, but 111 Sqn was equipped with Hurricanes in January of 1938. 111 Sqn wasn't recorded being stationed at Wick. The photo could have been during a transit/training flight. The lack of wing roundels is interesting, and may have been a ferry flight from the factory? Wouldn't explain the squadron code being painted on, thought. That would have happened after delivery, and one would think the roundels would have been painted on at the factory. Still, it shows that a photo on a given day could yield some peculiar results.
    Mike

They had a Lancaster--Grog's the Shot that I saw in the last minute and was $8.50 plus S&H. I tried to put a bid in but it was too late.

I've checked a few of the others that are super low and they are all from the same location and one even said Estate Sale on it.
    I got the Lanc for $8.50+shipping and a $10 Bader. Never thought I'd win these but am happy I did. I didn't win any of the others I bid on.

Bob, stop bidding against me!

Users Country Flag

Name
    Dale
    Sorties Flown

It seems that a guy in Oakley, Ca is selling off his stuff piece by piece.
    I tried to get the Schupp BF110 yesterday but someone outbid me in the last minute for $6.52 + shipping.
    There is another Grog's up this week, I'm thinking of bidding on. Or I might add a couple of B-17s, it would give me a bomber force of 4 that size.

Oh by the way Peter, I tried to get that Lanc, but it wouldn't accept my bid. Congratulations.
    Last edited by Setarius; 07-23-2018 at 13:56.

That was me got the 110 Dale - see post #16 above.
    It’s a woman who is selling these - maybe her husband’s collection or selling for a friend.

Quote Originally Posted by Tokhuah View Post
    Looks good and the Molders acquisition is amazing. Molders was the last model to complete my collection of series 1, but I did not get your deal!!
    Galland and Molders are still evading me. Someday...

It seems that a guy in Oakley, Ca is selling off his stuff piece by piece.
    I tried to get the Schupp BF110 yesterday but someone outbid me in the last minute for $6.52 + shipping.
    There is another Grog's up this week, I'm thinking of bidding on. Or I might add a couple of B-17s, it would give me a bomber force of 4 that size.

Oh by the way Peter, I tried to get that Lanc, but it wouldn't accept my bid. Congratulations.
    It's sad the we are bidding against each other without knowing it.

I have a few Lancs now so I have to finish up my WW2 night rules in September so I can use them.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Dale
    Sorties Flown

Quote Originally Posted by Teaticket View Post
    It's sad the we are bidding against each other without knowing it
    I've no problem losing a bidding war to anyone on this site. I know the people here will use them and not try to resell for a major profit.

I once knew a group of gamers that held a Con twice a year. They would invite artist to show their works and even held an art auction. It got to the point that several agreed not to bid against each other, which drove prices down and slowly the artist stopped coming. A sad day for that Con.

It’s a woman who is selling these - maybe her husband’s collection or selling for a friend.
    E&D course booked for Mr Stumptonian

Quote Originally Posted by Teaticket View Post
    It's sad the we are bidding against each other without knowing it.
    All's fair in love and war ...

That's my third Molders (I think) - maybe we could trade for something? That's how I got my Bader.

Quote Originally Posted by clipper1801 View Post
    . . . I have also noted the fall off of prices and fewer bidders of late. I am fearful our game is drifting to the edge of the game verse . . . Unless we get some new shiny toys and a lot of good supply backing we may becoming a lost cult . . .
    I notice it was the Nexus ones that Ares has reprinted that are going fairly cheap - at least in the batch these came from.
    Missed the Zero (but I see she has more scheduled). I might have paid a bit more than my highest bid - but it's easy to go crazy in the last minute of an auction.

If Ares reprints the SE.5a and Pfalz the Nexus ones won't be so golden anymore.
    Last edited by Stumptonian; 07-23-2018 at 21:19.

Similar Missions

1. Happy Birthday Douglas Bader
    By Diamondback in forum WGF: General Discussions
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 02-25-2018, 16:41
  2. WGF Wanted: Albatros D.III (Hautzmayer) and Hawker Hurricane Mk.1 (Bader)
    By Grey House in forum Sale/Trade/Wanted Classifieds
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 01-23-2018, 14:59
  3. WGS Also after Bader Hurricane and Bf109 Galland
    By Canestri10 in forum Sale/Trade/Wanted Classifieds
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-08-2016, 16:05
  4. AIR200 Hurricane I (Sea Hurricane in this case)
    By Blackronin in forum Metal and Resin Models
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 08-18-2014, 04:10
  5. Roundels on Bader's Hurricane
    By EnemyAce in forum WGS: General Discussions
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-17-2010, 09:21