Ares Games

Thread: Pacific box set

Default Pacific box set

SOOO..... Been thinking on it and if we get a Pacific box set what pilots would you want and with what planes?
    F4U Corsair Pappy Boyington
    TBD Devastator George H Gay (Only survivor his squadron battle of Midway)
    Nikajima B5N2 (Kate) Torpedo/Dive bomber Mitsuo Fuchida (Leader Pearl Harbor attack, present at Midway)
    Mitsubushi J2M Raiden (Jack)

Going with 4 planes as a new release and each side gets torpedo bombers.

Interesting choices; the fighters could be matched, though Pappy was shot down and captured before the Jack became operational, and the bombers match, but the fighters don't go with the bombers.
    Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

Looking for things that matched the pilots I knew...Maybe replace the corsair with a Brester Buffalo, or Pappys AVG P40. Buffalos were used at Midway if I remember right.

Replace the Jack with a Nikajima KI 27 (Nate)

Both early war fighters

First pick was historical figures not very well matched up.
    Last edited by Shadowcat; 05-16-2018 at 09:35.

I imagine that the Midway starter set will follow the Battle of Britain pattern and contain 2 Wildcats v 2 Zeroes, with more Wildcats and Zeroes, Vals and Dauntlesses available in Squadron Packs. I would not bother with the Brewster Buffalos. There were only a few on Midway Island itself and they were massacred.

Wildcat Aces: John S. Thach and Edward O'Hare.

have to agree with David. Since Wildcats/Zero & Val/Dauntless are planes they made that would be the easy choice for a Midway starter.

Good points , but I sort of want the Kates and TBD Devastator. Was looking for early war fighters to match em.

HMMM...Midway box set with the two torpedo bombers and rules for using them in game. Add your own fighters and dive bombers. Add ship and torpedo cards and rules for AAA on board them.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowcat View Post
    Good points , but I sort of want the Kates and TBD Devastator. Was looking for early war fighters to match em.

HMMM...Midway box set with the two torpedo bombers and rules for using them in game. Add your own fighters and dive bombers. Add ship and torpedo cards and rules for AAA on board them.
    I'm good with this idea.
    Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

I suppose that they could produce squadron packs of Kates and Devastators also.

That would work, add two early war fighters and you are set.

I'd be all about a Pacific starter kit but the Devastators would be a bad choice of aircraft in my opinion.
    Very few were used and with very little effect at that.

I don't think I will generate any surprise at my recommendation... Avengers instead of Devastators.

Great idea on the starter though

Looking for early war birds, Dauntless was after the Devastator and then Avengers. Kate and Val were at Pearl and Midway hence the call for earlier birds.

Looking for early war birds, Dauntless was after the Devastator and then Avengers. Kate and Val were at Pearl and Midway hence the call for earlier birds.
    I see... Got it... I'm all about the Pacific right now... Good stuff sir...

I wonder if the PTO box set will be released in time for the 80th anniversary of the bombing of Pearl Harbor...

Is it confirmed it will be an early war box? I like the idea of early BoB and late war PTO. That could works for Spitfires Mk.II same as for P-51Ds.

No confirmation, just wishful thinking. I prefer early war as it seemed more balanced. By late war we pretty much had the upper hand.

We have been wishing for KATES (AIM) for years now and nothing. I have 3 from AIM so I have some to use. Also early war planes is another wish list thing and again went to the AIM models to fill that gap.

Got a AIM list building right now, P 39, HE 111's, Do17's, TBD's and Kates for a start.

No confirmation, just wishful thinking. I prefer early war as it seemed more balanced. By late war we pretty much had the upper hand.
    I don't have a strong opinion about this. Maybe you're right about balance, on the other way, I like seeking ways how to play even overgunned minis like Beaufighters. There is Dieppe Raid mission in AARs and I think we (here in Prague) can develop another missions that would be well balanced. So we'll see. For me late war is good, early too.

Shapeways fills in some gaps that AIM and Ares don't. Worth checking. I have bought loads of really early stuff for the Sino-Japanese war.
    See you on the Dark Side......

Users Country Flag

Name
    Daniel
    Arizona (Otherwise known as Hell's back porch)
    Sorties Flown

My choice for a PacWar Starter box would be F4F Wildcat (Thatch), F2A Buffalo (Geoff Fisken RNZAF), Nakajima Ki-43 Hayabusa Army Type 1 Fighter (Sergeant Satoshi Anabuki), Nakajima Ki-44 Shoki Army Type 2 Single-Seat Fighter (No named pilot but named units such as 87th Sentai)
    Subsequent aircraft releases would be early war aircraft Mitsubishi A5M Navy Type 96 Carrier-based Fighter, Aichi D3A Navy Type 99 Carrier Bomber, Nakajima B6N Tenzan Navy Carrier Torpedo Bomber, For a special Box Mitsubishi G4M Navy Type 1 (Betty) Land-based Attack Aircraft for the Japanese. For the USA and other countries Curtiss P-36 Hawk, Grumman TBF Avenger, Vought F4U Corsair, Bell P-39 Airacobra, Special box sets Consolidated B-24 Liberator and Boeing B-29 Superfortress, Douglas A-20 Havoc, Martin B-26 Marauder

At the current rate of introductions, you are looking at ten years or more to receive all of those, Daniel.

Have to agree, we can expect about 4 new planes a year, and limited restock after they sell out. There is talk of more HE 111's in the pipe maybe. We just have to take what we get and make due for the rest.

That being said the BOB box followed by 4 iconic squadron boxes was a outstanding idea. If not for the HE 111 shortage it would have been perfect...provided they keep the starter and squadron boxes in stock. Do the same for the Pacific and we could have another winner. Pacific may have to concentrate on carrier groups though, Zero/Kate/Val VS F4F/Dauntless/Avenger.

atomzero

I am a shameless fan of the oddballs, so I'd like to see a Filipino P-26 Peashooter. I also would love to see a P-38, my favorite fighter of them all.

Ares have plans to release the P-38 Lightning in their next series of W.W.2 fighters but they have been much postponed, Adam.

Suspect T and T set it back...and that is behind now also. We will never get more HE 111's at this rate.

I think Ares should include four different airplanes or risk not selling any Vals (more on that later). Pacific box set ideally would include: Zero-Val-Wildcat-Dauntless (the correct one this time). Then they only need squadron packs for the Zekes and Cats. Back to the Val issue... Val's are not equivalents to Stuka's and the WoW versions are proof. I still have 3 sealed in box that I picked up for $5 each on clearance in 2016 so they just did not sell. But Vals need to be available so the above scheme allows them to come in under cover of great company.

Quote Originally Posted by atomzero View Post
    I am a shameless fan of the oddballs, so I'd like to see a Filipino P-26 Peashooter. I also would love to see a P-38, my favorite fighter of them all.

and a chinese b-10 would be nice as well!

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Knowitall View Post
    My choice for a PacWar Starter box would be F4F Wildcat (Thatch), F2A Buffalo (Geoff Fisken RNZAF), Nakajima Ki-43 Hayabusa Army Type 1 Fighter (Sergeant Satoshi Anabuki), Nakajima Ki-44 Shoki Army Type 2 Single-Seat Fighter (No named pilot but named units such as 87th Sentai)
    Subsequent aircraft releases would be early war aircraft Mitsubishi A5M Navy Type 96 Carrier-based Fighter, Aichi D3A Navy Type 99 Carrier Bomber, Nakajima B6N Tenzan Navy Carrier Torpedo Bomber, For a special Box Mitsubishi G4M Navy Type 1 (Betty) Land-based Attack Aircraft for the Japanese. For the USA and other countries Curtiss P-36 Hawk, Grumman TBF Avenger, Vought F4U Corsair, Bell P-39 Airacobra, Special box sets Consolidated B-24 Liberator and Boeing B-29 Superfortress, Douglas A-20 Havoc, Martin B-26 Marauder
    I'm all for this! Maybe we can do this somewhere closer to the Xwing production schedule.
    In the meantime, I will just proceed with what I have and turn my attention to the ETO I suppose.
    Last edited by Gotham Resident; 06-19-2018 at 06:33.

i think a pearl harbor set or sets would be a good seller. say a kate, val, f4f, and p-36 starter set (with appropriate maps and battleship counters) and a p-40-zero duel pack that could be kept in production intermittently.

For PTO I do not think they should plan releases based on chronological order but instead the first release should be whatever market research indicates will sell the best and fan out from there.

From a sales point of view maybe, but if you do a theme set it has to be historical. BoB had early 109's and spits, not P51's and FW 190's for that reason. Biggest issue it seems is there are 3 core groups in this game. Those who want historical match ups (BoB Crowd), those who want the hottest planes they can get (Late war/Tourney crowd), and those who will fly whatever they have and care less on historical accuracy (average gamer crowd). Doing a basic box you can add what ever, they did that already. Doing campaign boxes allow them to concentrate on smaller Airframe lines so they can get better coverage. Pacific seems to have already been in the works and most of the iconic planes are already out there. Other options could be Flying Tigers (China vs Japs), Mighty 8th (Bomber raids over Germany in 44/45), Med Campaign (Africa/Italy/Malta), Or Eastern Front (Germany vs Soviets). A last option could be wonder weapons of the late war. ME 262, HE 163, Komit, Buzzbombs (Targets to chase down), and the early Brit and US jets. I read the English had a squadron of Jets shaking out but did not get into combat before the war was over.

Truth be told I will take any of em though the Mighty 8th has a certain appeal for me (love B17's)

I think you misunderstand me. I am all into historically accurate, I just don't think releases need to follow chronological order. In other words, as long as each release is internally historically accurate I am good.

So has anyone heard anything on when the Pacific box set coming out?

Your,
    Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by CappyTom View Post

Your,
    Thomas
    I haven't seen anything even remotely official on a Pacific Boxed Set from Ares, Tom. I don't do FaceBook, which seems to get the newest info first, but others do, and they usually post the link on this forum pretty quickly.

Also, there are still Battle of Britain bombers announced that haven't been given a release date, nor have the much delayed/postponed latest series of WGS fighters. Being that there are things in production that we are waiting to hear about, this is not even on a drawing board.

Someone please correct me, if I'm misinformed. Please!
    Mike
    "Flying is learning to throw yourself at the ground and miss" Douglas Adams
    "Wings of Glory won't skin your elbows and knees while practicing." OldGuy59

Quote Originally Posted by CappyTom View Post

Your,
    Thomas
    Tom;
    Much as we would like to see even a mention of this from Ares, this is a wistful hope by Shadowcat. One that I would buy in a heartbeat, of course.
    Karl

I remember reading somewhere it was in the works but got shelved somewhere along the line. Sorry if people thought I had inside info, I don't. Matter of fact I am usually the last to find out.

Its my guess that Ares will stay focussed on the BOB stuff until the new scheduled bombers are out, then as sales taper off of BOB starter set they will look to create a pacific set. Maybe 18 months away? The only planes left for BOB would be very unique ones I think? The defiant for example.

If there was a pacific set, I personally would think the P40's, Wildcats and Zero's would be very high up in what they have to choose from. The P40's seemed to sell out in about 24 months I think, which is about as fast as it gets. Ares would be guaranteed a popular release with those. That being said, its clear that the demand is strong for Corsairs and Lightnings. I wonder if they are more likely to do a later war Pacific starter set to suit this? It would match with the B25's and B17's as well.

Similar Missions

1. Ace Patrol goes Pacific - Pacific Skies
    By Boney10 in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 11-10-2013, 01:26
  2. P40's in the Pacific
    By Doug in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 07-14-2011, 16:52
  3. ww1 in the pacific?
    By boomerpete53 in forum WGF: Historical Discussions
    Replies: 5