Ares Games

Thread: Reporting for duty

widgeney

Default Reporting for duty

Hello, I have recently become addicted to this great game after having being introduced to it by a group of gaming friends who started playing the World War Two version. I picked up the Battle of Britain set at Salute and spent a happy half an hour playing on the demo table. Since then I have convinced a lot of my club, Redcar Ironbeards, to take to the skies.
    I think models are great and the rules are great fun to play.
    It took me a while to get round to joining this forum and I hope to be able contribute something useful to it.
    At Salute and Hammerhead I noticed that some of the planes used are not "official" models for want of a better description. Where do you get them from and is there a source for the flight stands and card decks/stats for these?

Widgeney

Hi Ian, welcome to the 'Drome!

The flight stands most likely come from Keith Upton's "Aerodrome Accessories" store (direct link from the top of the Home Page here).

Custom planes are most likely Shapeways 3D printed if WW1, or either Shapeways 3D plastic or AIM (Armaments In Miniature) resin planes if WW2.

"Unofficial" stats are available here on the Forum try here https://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/sh...official+stats
    Card decks are borrowed from other planes using the same deck, or, occasionally, privately created and printed.

Custom plane cards are produced by Max Headroom, OldGuy59 and Guntruck (search their Albums for goodies!)

My computer-fu is not strong enough to provide links for all this; hopefully, someone will be along soon who can point you in the right direction.

Hope you continue to have a blast with this great game!
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

Welcome to the Aerodrome, Ian, from here near Norwich.

I think that Tim has covered most of the sources of material. There are one or two other sources of 1/200 scale WW2 models (or close to 1/200 scale models), if you search the Internet.

The only way to obtain official Ares manoeuvre decks is to buy Ares models. However, before Ares took over the game and changed its name to 'Wings of Glory', it was published by a company called Nexus under the name of 'Wings of War'. It was originally a card game and it is possible you might come across some of their material at a car boot sale or charity shop. They can be offered at exorbitant prices on line.

Name:  6e461c4a1de51bc433884c93c1e3b9a50a55.jpeg
Views: 109
Size:  22.7 KBName:  pic404985.jpg
Views: 113
Size:  13.0 KBName:  FFGWW21.jpg
Views: 131
Size:  8.1 KBName:  FFGWW09.jpg
Views: 123
Size:  6.1 KBName:  FFGWW22.jpg
Views: 123
Size:  8.4 KBName:  HTB1824lPpXXXXX4XFXXq6xXFXXX9.jpg
Views: 122
Size:  8.4 KB

They contain some plane cards and manoeuvre decks. Nexus also produced some models in Wings of War boxes. They are compatible with Wings of Glory but again, they may be offered for exorbitant prices online because some have become collectors items.

The WW1 Wings of Glory (Wings of War) game is similar to the WW2 version but the materials are not compatible.

On behalf of the rest of the pilots in the UK squadrons I can now formally welcome you to the Drome Ian.
    I'm sure that a lot more chaps with information will be along soon to help you in your quest.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Welcome from Devon Ian. Salute was a great event and if you played the ww2 game then you were probably under the tutelage of John Biggles and his wife. Great way to get started. Have fun.

Hi Ian and welcome to the 'Drome' from West Yorkshire. Fly safe and always watch your six.

Thumbs up

G'day Ian & welcome to the 'drome on behalf of the Pilots who fly in NSW down in Australia.
    As the lads have said lots of info available here on the Aerodrome & I can recommend Aerodrome Accessories as a great source of all kinds of game aids & models.

Welcome to the Aerodrome from across the pond from the state of Maine. Glad you decided to join. There is much to discover here so dive in and enjoy!

Hi from Adelaide Ian. May you always enjoy your games and post some nice AAR's.

Welcome from Portland, Oregon, Ian

Hi Ian, welcome from Essex.
    Run for your life - there are stupid people everywhere!

welcome to the drome Ian from the land of buckeyes and another cleveland.

Welcome to the Drome Ian from Leicestershire.
    If you were playing with Whirlwinds, they would have been mine and were sourced from Shapeways, the manoeuvre cards from one of the old Wings of War blister packs. as Dave showed above.
    If you fancy dropping down to Newark again in August, Partizan II is on the 19th, or less far to travel is our annual bash at Doncaster, see the "Doncaster Con" sticky at the top of the forum home page.

and don't forget, never fly straight and level for more than 3 seconds....attack attack attack attack......

Lest we forget

Bein venue Ian from a Makem living in Brittany.

I'm learning to fly, but I ain't got wings
    Coming down is the hardest thing

widgeney

Unfortunately I can’t make Partizan �� I will check my calendar for Doncaster

Similar Missions

1. Reporting for duty
    By Baron Rolf in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 04-13-2013, 03:38
  2. National: Reporting for duty
    By Canvas Eagle in forum US Wing
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 04-12-2013, 13:16
  3. Colorado: Reporting for duty.
    By Wartrain in forum US Wing
    Replies: 18